Menu

If you only had $20 for food...

I want to second the whole chicken suggestion made before. We can get 3 meals out of one $4 chicken (of course, adding stuff on the side). First night I roast a chicken w/onion and herbs (sometimes with potatoes and carrots if I have them on hand) and usually have steamed veggies on the side. That's about half the chicken. After dinner I pick the meat off and boil the carcass for stock. That (and the meat) usually makes enough for 2 more meals - chicken & dumplings, chicken & (homemade) biscuit casserole, chicken noodle soup, etc. All you need for these meals really is a bag or two of frozen mixed veggies, celery/onion, noodles and stuff like flour, baking powder, etc for the biscuits. These are meals that can easily be stretched too so that there is enough for lunch the next day.

And of course, dry beans, brown rice, lentils, etc as suggested are very healthy inexpensive foods. Quinoa would be great, but that is usually a little on the pricey side.

One thing you might want to price (not sure, I never have) is if a bulk size container of dried onion (with the spices) is cheaper than buying fresh onion.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you post a sample 6-7 day menu for a family of 4? Breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

TIA

Too hard. And we eat too far across the spectrum to have a standard meal plan. But how about today's bill-of-fare?

It's not "perfect" menu but represents, at least to me, a reasonable day's intake.

Breakfast: We had home-made Muesli. My wife mixed rolled oats, some raisins, and almonds in a bowl last night, covered it with milk (you could use a substitute) and left it over-night in the fridge to "soften". Delicious! Now rolled oats are not a true "whole-grain", but not bad.

BTW, left-over brown rice makes a nice cereal (hot or cold).

Lunch: The kiddo (I believe) took a lunch to our coĂƒÂ¶p nursery school had a peanut-butter sandwich on a good wheat bread. A banana, yoghurt, some carrot sticks and broccoli. Not optimal, but not bad.

Dinner: Tonight's dinner will be extremely non-exotic (for us).

We will have curried garbanzo beans/chick peas (made from "dried" beans).

A soup made from the carcass and leftover chicken from a previous nights meal. The soup contains parsnips, carrots, zucchini, green beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic and onions.

Rapini (also known as Broccoli Rabe) a bit of a "splurge" as there are less expensive alternatives. But yum!

A baked butternut squash.

We though about having fish, but deferred it until tomorrow...

And brown rice that soaked in water overnight (in a bowl next to the beans).

This is a pretty "boring" day at our house in culinary terms, but represents the kind of meals that aren't "budget-busting" and are reasonably healthful. And are meals we all enjoy.

I hope this helps :001_smile:

Bill

You may still want to check with your local Angel Food Ministry. Some people/church members will purchase an extra package or two for the church to give to needy families and/or the local food bank.

I second this suggestion. Our church does the Angel Food distribution in our area and we always have several boxes purchased then donated back. Plus our church family donates a few boxes each time. BTW: This ministry is for everyone -- it's a great way to be frugal with your grocery money.

Too hard. And we eat too far across the spectrum to have a standard meal plan. But how about today's bill-of-fare?

It's not "perfect" menu but represents, at least to me, a reasonable day's intake.

Breakfast: We had home-made Muesli. My wife mixed rolled oats, some raisins, and almonds in a bowl last night, covered it with milk (you could use a substitute) and left it over-night in the fridge to "soften". Delicious! Now rolled oats are not a true "whole-grain", but not bad.

BTW, left-over brown rice makes a nice cereal (hot or cold).

Lunch: The kiddo (I believe) took a lunch to our coĂƒÂ¶p nursery school had a peanut-butter sandwich on a good wheat bread. A banana, yoghurt, some carrot sticks and broccoli. Not optimal, but not bad.

Dinner: Tonight's dinner will be extremely non-exotic (for us).

We will have curried garbanzo beans/chick peas (made from "dried" beans).

A soup made from the carcass and leftover chicken from a previous nights meal. The soup contains parsnips, carrots, zucchini, green beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic and onions.

Rapini (also known as Broccoli Rabe) a bit of a "splurge" as there are less expensive alternatives. But yum!

A baked butternut squash.

We though about having fish, but deferred it until tomorrow...

And brown rice that soaked in water overnight (in a bowl next to the beans).

This is a pretty "boring" day at our house in culinary terms, but represents the kind of meals that aren't "budget-busting" and are reasonably healthful. And are meals we all enjoy.

I hope this helps :001_smile:

Bill

Where I live, that one day would cost a lot more than 20 dollars.

White rice, potatoes, white flour, "white" pasta and noodles, and baked-goods are nutritionally almost vacant. And they set up bad insulin responses due to their high glycemic loads. A diet of potatoes may fill bellies and provide empty calories, but a diet heavy in such items will lead to malnutrition. Are are a "waste" of precious funds.

Whole grains (especially Brown Rice), Beans and Lentils, and fresh vegetables are essential to good health, and beans and whole grains are very inexpensive.

On top of that you can add items such as soups, fruit, meat, chicken, fish, eggs, peanut butter and dairy as "supplements".

welll...... I'm no nutritionist [:D] but:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=48

and

http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-vegetables/organic-potato/nutritional-value-of-potato.html

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato#Nutrition

tend to take issue w/ the potato being "nutritionally vacant" ;)

and while our family has indeed been making the switch to brown rice, it is incredibly more expensive per pound than basic white rice --esp if you only have $20 a week to spend. I think being hungry is more dangerous than filling your belly w/ some empty calories that will release endorphins and minimize stress levels ;)

i'm being called --can someone find that link about "the top ten best foods you're not eating" or something like that?......

tend to take issue w/ the potato being "nutritionally vacant" ;)

The problem with potatoes is the extremely high glycemic load, which causes an insulin response similar to table sugar. Small amounts of potatoes in a varied diet. No problem. Living on 10 lb bags? Big problem.

Bill

Maybe you can gain some inspiration here.

http://onedollardietproject.wordpress.com/

It's the blog of 2 social justice lawyers who decided to eat on a dollar a day for the entire month of Sept. They list what they are eating. Maybe you can get some ideas??

I'd probably buy...

brown rice

dried beans

dark leafy greens

dried milk

as my base. Anything else would be extra. We have citrus trees in our backyard so that'd give us oranges, lemons, & grapefruit.

The problem with potatoes is the extremely high glycemic load, which causes an insulin response similar to table sugar. Small amounts of potatoes in a varied diet. No problem. Living on 10 lb bags? Big problem.

Bill

it's only a "big problem" if your body has a problem with it. It's not a problem for a lot of people worldwide. Now Americans [like moi] tend to smother them w/ fats and oils which can be counter-productive for inactive folks..... ;)

thanks Colleen :)

dh has been fed and shoved out the door w/ ds, so I'm back.....

it was the pumpkin that i was thinking about. She might be able to incorporate canned pumpkin relatively inexpensively into muffins and pancakes.

something else that SpyCar shared in his probably-more-than-$20 meal sample is the value o eating as many things as possible w/o actually cooking them [soaking is great] since the heat tends to destroy nutrients. So the more things you can buy cheap and eat raw the better off you'll probably be. That's why i like carrots ;) besides, when they get dropped between couch cushions or under carseats they just shrivel up into a gross looking thing, they don't get sticky or liquify :D They can also be grated into various not-usually-conducive-to-carrots meals.

can we start sharing the best prices for brown rice in our areas? I'm still price shopping that item.....

it's only a "big problem" if your body has a problem with it. It's not a problem for a lot of people worldwide. Now Americans [like moi] tend to smother them w/ fats and oils which can be counter-productive for inactive folks..... ;)

If you visit any hospital in this nation and see the number of folks with type-2 diabetes (some of whom need to have limbs amputated) you might re-think the issue. Type-2 diabetes rates (and obesity) are sky-rocketing, and it's all attributable to poor eating habits.

Bill

Whole grains (especially Brown Rice), Beans and Lentils, and fresh vegetables are essential to good health, and beans and whole grains are very inexpensive...On top of that you can add items such as soups, fruit, meat, chicken, fish, eggs, peanut butter and dairy as "supplements". ..But try to resist the temptation to feed them non-nutritious food just because it's "cheap". It is possible to eat economically and nutritiously.

I absolutely agree with the spirit of what you're saying, Bill, and I also encourage people to avoid the cheap food/poor health merry-go-round. While whole grains and beans don't cost a great deal, though, some of the other items you're mentioning are by no means low-budget.

Fresh vegetables, for example. No way would I describe them as "very inexpensive" ~ particularly if one wants to avoid pesticides, etc. Chicken? Yes, it can be bought for a song ~ again, if one doesn't care about what they're ingesting along with that chicken. (shudder) Real peanut butter (e.g. sans sugar) runs twice the price of the junk that is JIF (or whatever). This is the sticky-wicket, of course, for people who are truly in economic dire straits. Monsanto, et al love these folks. Frustrating, to say the least.

If you visit any hospital in this nation and see the number of folks with type-2 diabetes (some of whom need to have limbs amputated) you might re-think the issue. Type-2 diabetes rates (and obesity) are sky-rocketing, and it's all attributable to poor eating habits.

Bill

the key phrase in your post is "in this nation" -- there are people around the world eating diets that might choke a cow, but they are thriving on it because their lifestyle is simply different. The rise in Type-2 diabetes is due in less part to potatoes and more in other factors, including inactivity.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/diabetes/page2_em.htm

I absolutely agree with the spirit of what you're saying, Bill, and I also encourage people to avoid the cheap food/poor health merry-go-round. While whole grains and beans don't cost a great deal, though, some of the other items you're mentioning are by no means low-budget.

Fresh vegetables, for example. No way would I describe them as "very inexpensive" ~ particularly if one wants to avoid pesticides, etc. Chicken? Yes, it can be bought for a song ~ again, if one doesn't care about what they're ingesting along with that chicken. (shudder) Real peanut butter (e.g. sans sugar) runs twice the price of the junk that is JIF (or whatever). This is the sticky-wicket, of course, for people who are truly in economic dire straits. Monsanto, et al love these folks. Frustrating, to say the least.

very true.

it's not everyday i find Nature's Own whole wheat w/ no HFCS and a bazillion grains at Dollar Tree, right next to the jars of strawberry preserves w/ no HFCS or other stuff ;)

If you visit any hospital in this nation and see the number of folks with type-2 diabetes (some of whom need to have limbs amputated) you might re-think the issue. Type-2 diabetes rates (and obesity) are sky-rocketing, and it's all attributable to poor eating habits.[/Quote]

the key phrase in your post is "in this nation" -- there are people around the world eating diets that might choke a cow, but they are thriving on it because their lifestyle is simply different. The rise in Type-2 diabetes is due in less part to potatoes and more in other factors, including inactivity.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/diabetes/page2_em.htm

Awww... you two are like an old married couple. :lol::D

Fresh vegetables, for example. No way would I describe them as "very inexpensive" ~ particularly if one wants to avoid pesticides, etc.

My point was whole grains and beans are inexpensive. Vegetables cost, no argument, but the "savings" on the other two hopefully leaves some room for the greens as their consumption is imperative to good health.

I don't know about elsewhere, but at my local market green cabbage can be had for 33 cents a pound. Dark-leafy greens like kale are 69 cents a bunch. Items like these pack quite a punch for the dollar. I'll grant you they are conventionally grown.

It's harder to find organically grown inexpensive vegetables, but at my local farmers market organic beet-tops are "free" for the asking.

Chicken? Yes, it can be bought for a song ~ again, if one doesn't care about what they're ingesting along with that chicken. (shudder)

I hear you. Chicken soup (made from remnants most people would have thrown out) is on the menu tonight, but is Chicken is rarely eaten here. If I'm trying to feed a family on $20, 69 cents a pound whole chicken (which is what our bird cost) would be tempting for occasional consumption.

Real peanut butter (e.g. sans sugar) runs twice the price of the junk that is JIF (or whatever).

I assumed "real" peanut butter. The hydrogenated version is unfit for human consumption. Trader Joe's (if you have one) has reasonably priced "natural" PB.

This is the sticky-wicket, of course, for people who are truly in economic dire straits. Monsanto, et al love these folks. Frustrating, to say the least.[/color][/font]

Eating well is a struggle no matter what your financial status in this society. But concentrating on beans and greens can maximize health while keeping costs down. It's a better alternative than....well...the alternative.

As I'm sure we agree :001_smile:

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Awww... you two are like an old married couple. :lol::D

lol!

you shoulda heard me and dh the other night arguing about whether the right wing radio was REALLY conservative......point, counterpoint. Dragged on for so long we never did get around to the REAL intercoursing before the little guys toddled on in......

My point was whole grains and beans are inexpensive. Vegetables cost, no argument, but the "savings" on the other two hopefully leaves some room for the greens as their consumption is imperative to good health.

Agreed.

I don't know about elsewhere, but at my local market green cabbage can be had for 33 cents a pound. Dark-leafy greens like kale are 69 cents a bunch. Items like these pack quite a punch for the dollar. I'll grant you they are conventionally grown.

Yeah, "conventional" (what an ironic term!) is part of the aforementioned sticky-wicket, but if it's a choice between conventional chard and, oh I dunno...98% of what else is out there?..., the winner's clear.

I hear you. Chicken soup (made from remnants most people would have thrown out) is on the menu tonight, but is Chicken is rarely eaten here. If I'm trying to feed a family on $20, 69 cents a pound whole chicken (which is what our bird cost) would be tempting for occasional consumption.

I couldn't go there; I really couldn't. On a budget like that, I'd have to forego meat altogether.

I assumed "real" peanut butter. The hydrogenated version is unfit for human consumption. Trader Joe's (if you have one) has reasonably priced "natural" PB.

Ah, I forget about Trader Joe's. We do have one here, but I'm not a fan so it doesn't come to mind. Glad you mentioned it, though.

Eating well is a struggle no matter what your financial status in this society. But concentrating on beans and greens can maximize health while keeping costs down. It's a better alternative than....well...the alternative.

Yep. Let's agree to agree. How boring is that?;)

lol!

you shoulda heard me and dh the other night arguing about whether the right wing radio was REALLY conservative......point, counterpoint.

Let me guess, YOU were arguing right wing radio is NOT conservative, and he was arguing the opposite? :D

Dragged on for so long we never did get around to the REAL intercoursing* before the little guys toddled on in......

* I'm sure you mean this in the original sense of the term :lol:

Bill

dark leafy greens are also higher in calcium...which was another issue the OP was concerned with :)

http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/leafy.html

{{see! I can agree w/ SpyCar sometimes :D}}

Heidi,

You can use the Hot Coupon world forums to match up the weekly sales with coupons -- some of which can be printed online. There is a coupon database on their website too where you can search for coupons for things that are not on sale and see if there are any internet printable ones available. I use coupons on milk, flour, yeast, etc all the time. You might call your store and see if there is a day they double coupons to get more bang for your buck. Also ask when they mark down their meat -- usually in the morning. If you go right after you can find meat that needs to sell at a big discount. Good luck.

Haven't read the whole post. I agree with the following, though:

eggs

rolled oats

dried beans (pintos and rice, black beans, black-eyed peas, lentils)

brown rice

inexpensive greens (cabbage)

bananas

peanut butter

cheap fruit or orange juice concentrate (by the bag. Right now, grapefruit, orange, apples should be easy to find.)

For a cheap snack, popcorn. It's inexpensive in it's natual state and tastes so much better when popped on the stove than the processed microwave stuff.

The flyer is actually mostly irrelevant IMO because most things in flyers are highly processed foods and either too expensive or too nutritionally empty.

A big bag of rice. If brown is too expensive, I'd do something like 75% white and the rest brown.

Several pounds of dried lentils and beans (not canned - too expensive)

Canned tomatoes - usually cheap & handy for various bean recipes.

Frozen vegetables, esp. spinach and peas.

big bag of fresh carrots.

big bag of potatoes.

onions

cabbage

Dried milk is here no bargain at all. Fresh conventional milk is heavily discounted in most major stores as a 'loss leader' (& it's no coincidence that it's so far away from the door.) A gallon of milk. Given the parameters of this situation, I'd go full fat.

Conventional eggs are subsidized & also often on sale so I'd recommend those.

Use these ingredients to make soup, stew and stir fry. Serve with the bread/bakery products you're getting.

If there's any $ left over, I'd buy whatever fruit is on sale - here it's currently oranges.

Potatoes are a big part of eastern european cooking because they were often the only thing avail. I don't think they're unhealthy.

It really seems to me that many of these posts are not helping the OP at all. There is a difference between survival mode and lifestyle mode. It seemed to me that the OP was asking about a survival mode. Of course no one could feed a family on $20 a month.

There are so many fabulous choices that are just not feasible on a limited $20. This conversation will probably do more to discourage her than encourage her.

I keep remembering that moment in The Pianist when that guy's walking around with his can of some sort of food -- watermelon, perhaps? Perhaps he should have tossed it while complaining that it wasn't fresh or organic.

There are times when people have to make do without perfection, and a person who has been eating healthy all along isn't going to all of the sudden get gangrene from Type II diabetes from a little survival-mode eating.

It really seems to me that many of these posts are not helping the OP at all. There is a difference between survival mode and lifestyle mode. It seemed to me that the OP was asking about a survival mode. Of course no one could feed a family on $20 a month.

There are so many fabulous choices that are just not feasible on a limited $20. This conversation will probably do more to discourage her than encourage her.

I keep remembering that moment in The Pianist when that guy's walking around with his can of some sort of food -- watermelon, perhaps? Perhaps he should have tossed it while complaining that it wasn't fresh or organic.

There are times when people have to make do without perfection, and a person who has been eating healthy all along isn't going to all of the sudden get gangrene from Type II diabetes from a little survival-mode eating.

Thanks, Dawn. We are definitely in survival mode. I'm about to lose my mind from frustration, to be honest.

:crying:

Heidi

Based on the flyer you shared, a sample shopping list would be:

2.00 Whole Milk (1/2 gal. x 2)

2.00 Orange Juice (1/2 gal x 2)

2.00 Rolled Oats or Grits (oats are more nutritious)

6.00 Beans/Lentils (5 bags x 1.19 bag at my supermarket)

0.79 Carrots (1 lb. bag at my supermarket)

2.00 Onions and garlic (as much as you can get for this price)

5.00 Rice (as much as you can get for this price)

Total: 19.79 plus tax

I would serve the oats or grits for breakfast in the morning with sugar/honey or salt/pepper, along w/ 4 oz. orange juice per person.

Put your beans out to soak the night before, the whole bag, and cook them the next morning after breakfast. Toss in a bit of chopped onion, carrots, and garlic towards the end of the cooking time. Reserve 1 c. cooked beans for later use; split what remains and serve half at lunch and half at supper, with some cooked rice (1 c. dry rice, cooked, serves four people). You could make soup out of one of those meals if you have some dry spices or bullion on hand.

Serve 4 oz. whole milk per person at lunch or supper.

Save the 1 c. reserved, cooked beans each day by storing in the refrigerator. On the sixth day you will have 5 c. mixed beans in the fridge. Divide in half and use half on Saturday and half on Sunday as described above.

Round out your meals with the bread you are given. If you can squeeze in a bag of plain popping corn (1.00-2.00) that would be used for snacking.

Looking at the circular, the potatoes seem like an ok deal, and the milk/oj deal would cover calcium and fruit, plus the milk could go into things like mashed potatoes. I keep the skin on my potatoes, and definitely do not consider them to be nutritionally empty. I think that's pretty high for pb, especially store-brand! The cheese also seems pretty high, so I would opt for the milk for that reason, as well. The whole chicken also seems a bit high, but would cover several meals. The frozen veggies are probably another good value.

I do not know if this is an option, but wanted to mention it just in case it helps.... Two of the places I taught Head Start also housed food pantries with the bread pick-ups. The bread was free to anyone, but you had to qualify for the food boxes, although there were exceptions made. A family could get an emergency one-time pantry box once per year. They had to sign for it, but did not need to fill out any of the qualification paperwork. This option was not publicized at all, but the folks running the pantries made sure I knew about it in case I noticed any of my students' families needed some extra help. Most of our families already qualified for the boxes, but several Head Start staff members definitely made use of this service when they had an unexpected crisis. I have no idea if this is a possibility for you, but it may well be worth asking about.

As typical with threads on message boards, they can wander off into other related (or not) topics. The OP has received many many suggestions of foods she can buy with her $20 that are healthful and a good value for the dollar, as well as suggestions as to where she can go to get additional food for her family. I see nothing discouraging being said here.

And, I've BTDT and let me tell you, there ARE places that can help with food for a short time, as well as wise shopping at discount groceries, checking out the clearance racks (most stores have them either in the back or the front of the store. My Walmart has several in the grocery section of baked goods as well canned/boxed goods.).

I think the OP can read the discussion between Spy and Peek and glean some good ideas she can implement to KEEP food costs down after she gets past this current situation.

Heidi, to any extent I caused (aided or abetted) the discussion to drift a bit, my apologies. We (I) did get somewhat side-tracked from your specific instance, but a good many of the points still hold.

During this time of duress your family will need good nutrition more than ever. Providing that nutrition with extremely limited means will be a challenge. And you will find yourself extremely tempted to purchase nutritionally empty (or worse) processed food items because they are "cheap".

What I'm suggesting is spend the little money you have for food on a wide variety of beans and lentils. Make these, along with brown rice (and other whole grains) and greens the foundation of your diet. This way you maximize your cost-savings, while still providing your family with healthful food.

I'll also admit, I thought you were talking about $20 per week, and not $20 per month. If that is the situation, then you may very well need to turn to a food panty, church, or other food assistance program for help. And take what you get to feed your family based on what they can provide. But reserve your own funds to augment the food aid with beans, whole grains, and greens.

I'm terribly sorry you are under such strain. My heart is with you.

Bill

Thanks, Dawn. We are definitely in survival mode. I'm about to lose my mind from frustration, to be honest.

Heidi

:grouphug:

I've picked up some good tips from the thread - so i thank you for stepping out and asking. I wish i could swing by and give you a lift to the store, and that i had a few dollars to spare for something extra.

I hope you are able to maximize your shopping and get the most you can.

I have to say, i had bought lentils to make some sausage & lentil soup - i'd never cooked them before, and I just now looked at the bag and saw how much protien is in them. Gee, i'll be serving them more often! LOL!!! (it's 10 grams for 1/4 cup).

More :grouphug:

I agree with the beans and rice. I think that a big pot of bean soup is very nutritious and delicious.

I like to buy the already-made rotissery chickens at the grocery stores. They usually cost around $5 (usually less than buying it raw) and I strip the meat and make a large pot of chicken broth (use the chicken and water to cover, simmer 24 hours in the crock pot, adding more water if necessary). You can use some of the chicken meat and broth to make a large pot of chicken noodle soup. I just add an onion and finely chopped carrot to that. I make my own egg noodles with eggs and flour. It's a really delicious, inexpensive meal. I like to add more protein with it, perhaps using cottage cheese.

Heidi

:grouphug: btdt :grouphug:

Go find a church food pantry! They are there for THIS exact reason! I would see what you can get free via food ministry and then decide what to buy - definitely focus on beans/rice, but those are the things you are likely to get if you go to a ministry.

If you manage to get a chicken (or chicken pieces...or any meat) boil the bones in a big pot to make your own broth, and then you can use that to cook your rice or make a soup- it's yummy and good for you. Basically get every ounce of nutrition from the foods you can get.

I often make rice & eggs for breakfast and refrigerate the leftovers to use to make fried rice for dinner.;)

I do hit the food shelf once a month and my local farm wagon twice a week (the bread source). I can only go to a certain food shelf and only once a month. I still need some kind of protein source the other three weeks or so out of the month along with veggies, milk, etc. Sometimes the farm wagon has dairy but it's never something I can count on. The only weekly given is the bread.

We had a year of Ă‚Â£20 a week. This might not be quite so helpful because I live in the UK but here are the sorts of foods we bought:

one chicken a week

ground beef

root vegetables

lots of potatoes

oat meal - for porridge

cheap jam (jelly), honey and peanut butter

My husband used to go to the supermarket when he knew they did big reductions on bread (10p a loaf), then we would freeze them (our deep freeze was our best investment at this time).

cans of tuna (on offer)

cans of tomatoes

red lentils (because they were cheap and didn't need lengthy cooking).

We grew some herbs and sprouts on the windowsill.

cheap chocolate (to keep us sane)

milk

cheap butter

cans of beans

We got some nice things from time to time by knowing when things got seriously reduced in price.

Here are some websites with recipes for these frugal sort of ingredients:

http://www.riverfordfarmshop.co.uk/

http://www.jamboree.freedom-in-education.co.uk/cookingetc/cooking.htm (has plenty of carrot and potato recipes)

Carrots and potatoes were our staple, with a small amount of meat.

This create-muffin recipe cheered us up no end. It is from the Tightwad Gazette. If you can borrow this book from your library, do. It is inspiring.

Best wishes,

Lorna

I want to comment on some of the issues presented by this thread.

I've lived through (and still am *in*) some of it.

The reality is that people living at or near the poverty level rarely have access to quality food. Contrary to some of the assertions in this thread, it is often not possible to feed a family (and pay everything else that goes with it) a premium diet.

Do I believe this keeps people overweight/overfat and less able to move out of this cycle? Yes. Do I believe it keeps children more vulnerable to whatever illnesses goes around? Yes.

The reason people at poverty level eat boxed mac-n-cheese, ramen noodles, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc is because it's the only way to fill up the bellies of their families.

Honestly, there are times in my very recent past where I could not have *afforded* to be politically against WalMart.

People at poverty level are kept there for many complicated reasons, often *not* having to do with their own choices. Often they are born of the "system" such as loosing more food benefits than you make should you get a job.

I can tell you that having read similar threads during the times when I didn't have enough gas to attend church, AA meetings and still get my kids to their activities did damage as did our starch based diet at the time.

:hurray:

You might want to contact your local Catholic church and find out if they have a chapter of St. Vincent DePaul. I am involved with this organization at our church and they can help with not only food but also can offer some help with utility bills etc to help free up some of the money you do have for food. This depends on the resources of your local parish but our parish helps a lot of people. You do not have to be Catholic or a member of the parish.

Also, you can dial 211 to get to your local United Way helplink which can help put you in touch with all of the local services that can help your family.

The reality is that people living at or near the poverty level rarely have access to quality food. Contrary to some of the assertions in this thread, it is often not possible to feed a family (and pay everything else that goes with it) a premium diet.

I can tell you that having read similar threads during the times when I didn't have enough gas to attend church, AA meetings and still get my kids to their activities did damage as did our starch based diet at the time.

I agree Joanne. I am sure those who push for organic/whole grain/fresh veggies/etc. diets for those who are struggling to get by mean well, but ultimately that pov strikes me as being quite out of touch with what's really like to struggle financially. There are many components that one cannot understand unless you have been in that situation. When you can't afford the sliced almonds and blueberries for your muesli, for example, you're left with some rolled oats in milk. When you can't afford the chicken, you're left with some beans in a bowl. Of course nutrition is important in any situation, but there is also a psychological effect to eating at that level of poverty that is difficult to explain to someone who hasn't had to do it. To eat organically at the lowest levels of income would be incredibly depressing, and hunger inducing because so little could be purchased, but those who eat that way at much income higher levels often don't recognize that.

Edited by Erica in PA

I want to comment on some of the issues presented by this thread.

I've lived through (and still am *in*) some of it.

Do I believe this keeps people overweight/overfat and less able to move out of this cycle? Yes. Do I believe it keeps children more vulnerable to whatever illnesses goes around? Yes.

The reason people at poverty level eat boxed mac-n-cheese, ramen noodles, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc is because it's the only way to fill up the bellies of their families.

Honestly, there are times in my very recent past where I could not have *afforded* to be politically against WalMart.

People at poverty level are kept there for many complicated reasons, often *not* having to do with their own choices. Often they are born of the "system" such as loosing more food benefits than you make should you get a job.

It's hard to remember, when you're not going through it.

We've been paid by odd jobs since 11/21.

Living off of savings and my well-stocked pantry.

For $20, the most filling, nutritious and inexpensive foods are:

$4 5 lbs. of potatoes, $2 generic old-fashioned oatmeal, $2 half pound of butter, $2 two, one lb. bags of dry beans, $2 one lb. bag of rice, $3 two trips for fresh bananas, $1 brown sugar

I'd add in $3 flour, $1 baking powder and $1 baking soda, to make biscuits, pancakes and bread, with any leftover money.

(If you want good 1950's recipes that are quick and easy, pm me.)

I've been grabbing all of the markdown produce, too.

I've gone from $250 a week to less than $100 a week for our family of 5.

It sucks, but it's doable.

Thank God we live in a country where our kids don't have to completely do without, ever.

I'm praying for you!!!