Menu

Fun time: unused kitchen gadgets

What kitchen gadget have you purchased because you thought it was cool/neat/would be so useful, but instead it has been sitting in the drawer or cupboard since you bought it? It can be any price.

Alternatively - what kitchen gadget have you purchased and used once or twice because it didn't work the way you thought it would? Or didn't work at all?

Sitting - I thought the things you could put on your rolling pin to roll out the right thickness dough would make life so much easier. After all how do I know when the dough is 1/4" thick? And the whole thing is 1/4". The thing is even though it may be a really good thing to have, I avoid dough I have to roll out like the plague! They didn't cost much and I won't be getting rid of them, but they just sit there.

Didn't work right - a sleeve that you put bread into and then toast it. You can load your sandwich and then use your toaster as a sandwich press thing. The problem I think is that I bake my own bread and then slice it thick. So once you get 2 pieces of bread and some cheese into the bag, it doesn't fit into the toaster.

What are yours?

I have a couple of those silicone pot holders. I burn myself every single time I try to use them. So, they've been sitting in the silverware drawer with me hating on them every time I open it... meanwhile, I use a dish towel to handle hot stuff.

I also have one of those notched wood things for, apparently, maneuvering the oven racks? I don't get it. Nor do I know where it came from, but it's been in my cooking utensil crock for probably 15 years... :001_huh:

I still have the apple peeler from pampered chef that no matter how I adjust it, it still takes off at least 1/4 inch of apple instead of just the peeling. The apple thing that is suppose to core the apple and cut in 8 pieces. The iron to make rosettes. The Pampered chef deep dish pizza stone and the bar pan stone. The butter dish(2 of them), gravy boat, tea pot, and flour/sugar canisters (that don't have airtight seals), the chip and dip bowl that I have simply because they match my dishes. The old fashioned meat grinder that I tell myself I will use to grind giblets when I make stuffing (except that I have never made stuffing from scratch in the 12 years we've been married).

That's what I can think of off the top of my head that's still hanging around. I had more but I have taken MANY boxes of stuff to goodwill (the workers actually recognize me I've been there so much) over the last year as I'm attempting to thin my household. It seems stuff enters my house faster than I can empty it out.

Another small kitchen, so most gadgets are banned. But my MIL has given us a few things I just don't know what to do with. An iron "pickle fork" that she specially ordered from a blacksmith. Apparently she has some sort of sentimental attachment to hand-forged pickle forks (???), but it just takes up space in my drawer and pokes me. I think maybe we've had it long enough that it could be "lost" without consequence...

I also agree about those wretched silicon pot holders. Hate them. They might need to be lost too...

Most of the gadgets we don't use were given to us by some kind-hearted person (like my mom). She gave me a food processor which I use maybe once or twice every other year. Most of the time my knives are better and take up less counter space. The main problem with it (other than it's too small for our family) is that it tends to puree what you want it to chop.

What kitchen gadget have you purchased because you thought it was cool/neat/would be so useful, but instead it has been sitting in the drawer or cupboard since you bought it? It can be any price.

Alternatively - what kitchen gadget have you purchased and used once or twice because it didn't work the way you thought it would? Or didn't work at all?

Sitting - I thought the things you could put on your rolling pin to roll out the right thickness dough would make life so much easier. After all how do I know when the dough is 1/4" thick? And the whole thing is 1/4". The thing is even though it may be a really good thing to have, I avoid dough I have to roll out like the plague! They didn't cost much and I won't be getting rid of them, but they just sit there.

Didn't work right - a sleeve that you put bread into and then toast it. You can load your sandwich and then use your toaster as a sandwich press thing. The problem I think is that I bake my own bread and then slice it thick. So once you get 2 pieces of bread and some cheese into the bag, it doesn't fit into the toaster.

What are yours?

:lol: Your unused gadgets sound really cool! This could be a dangerous thread :001_smile:.

Mine is a sandwich sealer thing and an ice cream sandwich maker. These are both from Pampered Chef (my Aunt blesses me with a lot of stuff), so I didn't buy them, but I can't get rid of them because they seem like they'd be fun to use with kids. But with five kids I don't have time for fun in the kitchen :lol:.

Most of the gadgets we don't use were given to us by some kind-hearted person (like my mom). She gave me a food processor which I use maybe once or twice every other year. Most of the time my knives are better and take up less counter space. The main problem with it (other than it's too small for our family) is that it tends to puree what you want it to chop.

Do you make home made pie crust? If you do, the food processor is the best tool for the job! I also use it for biscuits. I don't like it for chopping vegetable either.

I still have the apple peeler from pampered chef that no matter how I adjust it, it still takes off at least 1/4 inch of apple instead of just the peeling.

I have that too! Totally useless.

I also have a rotary grater like this one, but all metal and I have never used it even once. I like a box grater.

I have gotten rid of most of my unused gadgets, but lets see.

I have the V-shaped cutter from Pampered Chef. You know, to make perfectly fluted peppers to put dip in when I make crudite or for the perfect melon bowl. Funny thing-I always buy a veggie tray that comes with dip and fruit salad in a bowl already made. I used it once on a melon bowl. Do you know what a pain in the neck it is to chop all that fruit for a fruit salad.

At some point I had a spiral cutter for making all those cute garnishes. Never used it. Not even once.

I do have this http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_products/catalog/product.jsp?productId=13835&categoryCode=BK. I bought it for all that cupcake decorating I was going to do with the kids, Still in the box.

I used the Pampered Chef Sandwich Sealer tons when mine were little and hated crusts. They loved the round sandwiches. I used to make my own pb & j snackable things for the freezer with it. Then my 2 kids decided they don't like pb & j. It never really sealed my sandwiches, though, because I always use stiff multi-grain bread. Actually, they use it to make their own round sandwiches when the mood hits them.

I have always managed to resist the urge to buy the ice cream sandwich maker. I want it but I know I will never use it.

Pampered Chef Chopper- I used it a lot for onions when I first got it. But really, it's not that hard to cut things and cleaning the chopper is a much bigger job than cleaning a knife. It wasn't long before I just didn't bother getting out the chopper.

Juicer- fresh juice tastes great and probably is good for you. But again, too much fuss and also too expensive to buy all that fruit just to turn it into one glass. Funny thing is DS still remembers he loves carrot juice, but it's been years since I used it last.

Fun thread :)

Edited by Scuff

What is cracking me up about this thread is the overwhelming Pampered Chef theme!

I don't really have much that I don't use. I don't buy kitchen gadgets and the few I have, I use. I avoid any and all Pampered Chef or related parties!

Okay, I went looking and I found a tortilla press. Actually I forgot I even had it. I was just thinking the other day that my bag of corn flour was probably too old and I should get rid of it and buy a new one. But, then I remembered that I don't really like to make hand made tortillas as much as I like to eat them. Hence, my purchase of the tortilla press :D Okay, my mission this week is to make tortillas and either decide that the press is worthy, or not and get rid of the flour and press if need be.

I am one of the ruthless ones. I keep nothing I don't use, even gifts from relatives. For my Christmas pres, my mother included some Martha Stewart dish towels that totally do not match my kitchen, so I returned them. (If mom asks about them, they are 'in the wash') . So I am serious about not keeping useless.

I do not go to PC parites. I do, however, have two PC pizza stones that I recieved as gifts about 13 years ago, that I use a couple of times a week. Yesterday for cookies and today for brocolli pizza. T

Put all those gadgets and other things you hate in a bag & put it in your trunk. When you happen by a Goodwill or one of those Salvation Army bins at Walmart or someting, toss it in.

What is cracking me up about this thread is the overwhelming Pampered Chef theme!

I don't really have much that I don't use. I don't buy kitchen gadgets and the few I have, I use. I avoid any and all Pampered Chef or related parties!

Okay, I went looking and I found a tortilla press. Actually I forgot I even had it. I was just thinking the other day that my bag of corn flour was probably too old and I should get rid of it and buy a new one. But, then I remembered that I don't really like to make hand made tortillas as much as I like to eat them. Hence, my purchase of the tortilla press :D Okay, my mission this week is to make tortillas and either decide that the press is worthy, or not and get rid of the flour and press if need be.

Hey, if you decide to get rid of that press, LMK, lol! I do make tortillas and have been looking to get one.

;)

OMG we have so much stuff in the kitchen. It's a nice big 1960s kitchen, but it's stuffed. I made a list of things to do today in order to clean it out!

Things we never use:

A TurboCooker! Yes, we got one when the infomercials were big because my MIL had (has) one and loves it. But... I never use it. I am not imaginative enough to invent my own recipes with it, and it's huge.

A garlic press. Hate the thing.

Pastry cloth. My mother insists I keep it (and checks) because I'm supposed to roll out dough on it, but I prefer to just use the countertop with flour. Much easier to clean, and I don't have flour in my stuff drawer when I'm done. She's going to have to deal when I pitch it this month.

Some sort of pokey tine thing... you're supposed to stick it into vegetables and then slice between the tines. Pain in the derriere.

A mandolin. DH wanted it, but I'm too clumsy to use it and have a great fear of removing skin instead of vegetable, despite the huge fingerguard

My husband insists we keep: The ice shaving machine, the salad spinner, and all different types of coffee pots (I don't drink coffee).

Clearly we need to clean things out...

Pampered Chef Chopper- I used it a lot for onions when I first got it. But really, it's not that hard to cut things and cleaning the chopper is a much bigger job than cleaning a knife. It wasn't long before I just didn't bother getting out the chopper.

I love my chopper! Let me know if you want to get rid of yours- mine is on its last legs (held together w/duct tape.)

Sorry, I already gave it away. Our kitchen is a bit on the small side. It's one area I don't struggle with getting rid of stuff. If it doesn't earn it's keep, it's out! (though I will say it stung a little. I wanted that thing for so long and even had a party to get it!) It is kind of funny to see what people hate and love. We all can be so different in what works for us. I want AKmommy's waffle maker lol And then there's the things everyone seems to hate, like the apple corer.

My daughter visited at Christmas and took home all of the things I don't use: a quesadilla maker, a belgian waffle maker, a chopper, an apple corer, and a cheese slicer (I prefer a sharp knife). Oh, and a slushie maker, a snowcone maker, and an air-pop popcorn popper. I don't understand it, though - she doesn't cook.

I have the Pampered Chef rolling pin thingy, with a small flat roller on one side, and a smaller roundish roller on the other side. I have the wood one (I don't think they make them of wood anymore). I've had it at least 10 years, and have not used it, not even once (unless you count my 3yo "driving" it around the kitchen floor.

I also have the pie ring thingy that is supposed to fit around the crust of the pie, but is too big to fit any of my pie pans.

I have the apple thingy (the one that cores and makes 8 slices when you press it down on the apple). I use it all the time, so I don't think it counts.

Oh, I know. I have the Pampered Chef cookie press. I've never used it. Not even once. In at least 6 years.

Oh, and a small round PC stoneware casserole. I may have used it once.

I have most of the PC things that were available up until about 6 years ago (my last party). I use most of them some of the time, and a few of them all of the time. I get rid of things I don't use, usually, except that rolling thingy, but my 3yo still likes it, so I'll keep it for awhile longer.

Another small kitchen, so most gadgets are banned. But my MIL has given us a few things I just don't know what to do with. An iron "pickle fork" that she specially ordered from a blacksmith. Apparently she has some sort of sentimental attachment to hand-forged pickle forks (???), but it just takes up space in my drawer and pokes me. I think maybe we've had it long enough that it could be "lost" without consequence...

I also agree about those wretched silicon pot holders. Hate them. They might need to be lost too...

It is amazing what gets lost in a kitchen remodel!! :D

{deep breath...} Ok, I confess, I have one of those fryer basket things that you can use to make those big taco salad tortilla bowls. I've used it once, and it *is* pretty cool to serve a beautiful taco salad in one of those tortilla bowls, but the fact is that I don't really deep-fry very much due to health concerns, and because I don't own a deep-fryer and would have to fill a huge pan with oil to use the thing.

I also have one of those hot dog roller cookers. Truly, there is no better way to cook a hot dog, but it takes longer than just boiling a hot dog on the stove, so we never use it.

I have a hot-air popcorn popper, but since I've gotten the hang of the paper bag in the microwave for popcorn, and it's so much crisper that way, we never use the popper.

My mom gave my ds a football-shaped slow cooker. It's just too small to be useful for anything for a large family. It's also too big to be used for something like dip, so what do I do with this thing??

I'm surprised about how many of you don't like your apple peeler. I've worn out two of them, though the one I have now isn't PC brand, and I like it better. There's an adjustment for the blade, isn't there? After you've used them a while they seem to go pretty smoothly, but I hate breaking them in. It really does take a bit of misery in the beginning.