Menu

Ok, I'm going to be stomped on but here goes..

I thought Aretha Franklin's singing was horrendous! There I said it. My children were cringing at the sound. :auto: Trying to get away from here as fast as I can! :lol:

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

I just posted something similar in another thread. That is not what I want my dc to think when they hear Aretha's name, or the title "My Country tis of Thee". Oh, well, even the "Queen" has an off day once in a while. :001_smile:

I loved the changeups in the words. I loved her voice and spirit.

And I love it that she can sing at all in 27 degree weather. I certainly can't.

I can't imagine a better person to sing there, or a more fitting song for the occasion.

I would have preferred a little more Maya Angelou, though. Didn't care for the poem at all.

She might have been a wee bit emotional... I didn't think she sounded her greatest, but at the same time.............

(ducking)

I'm one of those people that dislike grandstanding during the singing of patriotic songs (see also the Nat'l Anthem). She sounded like she was trying to be somber (till the end), not something her voice is used to.

Singing to a recording in 27 degree weather is quite a trick - I thought she did fairly well, all things considered.

You know who DID impress me?

The quartet: Yo Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman, and the clarinet & piano. HOW did they DO that? It was freezing! I mean, I think the clarinet had a latex barrel to help with the pitch, but for the life of me I don't know how the piano stayed in tune and they matched pitch. Cold does nasty, nasty things to wood instruments. The area they were playing in must have had some kind of heat source - if you watched Yo Yo Ma, he was clearly having a great time! Plus - John Williams' arrangement of Simple Gifts was just - well - dazzling.

Singing to a recording in 27 degree weather is quite a trick - I thought she did fairly well, all things considered.

The quartet: Yo Yo Ma, Itzhak Perlman, and the clarinet & piano. HOW did they DO that? It was freezing! I mean, I think the clarinet had a latex barrel to help with the pitch, but for the life of me I don't know how the piano stayed in tune and they matched pitch. Cold does nasty, nasty things to wood instruments. The area they were playing in must have had some kind of heat source - if you watched Yo Yo Ma, he was clearly having a great time! Plus - John Williams' arrangement of Simple Gifts was just - well - dazzling.

String instruments can be tempermental under the wrong weather conditions. I thought they all played beautifully.

Did you watch any of the other entertainers yesterday?

Awful, really awful. John Mellancamp, Marh J. Blige, Will.i.am.; a bunch of second rate, washed up "artists".

While I can appreciate that type of pop cultural thing in other contexts, it was painful to watch their terrrible caterwhauling in front of the Lincoln Memorial the day before innaguration. Is that the best we've got? Really????

I would say Ms. Franklin was asked to sing because of her history and persona as well as her past successes. She is past her prime but embodies many things. We're musicians in our household and you should have heard the caterwalling about her version of the song and comments about the 'weathervane' of a hat. She made it interesting, I have to say We loved the QUARTET!! Excellent musicianship!

The...poem...was...so...stilted...

All I could think about was William Shatner. I'll probably enjoy reading it more than having it read.

I liked Aretha AND her hat. :)

Simple Gifts was incredible, and I loved how all the musicians were enjoying themselves. It's a shame, though, that they couldn't set it up where the new First Family didn't have to turn around backwards to see them. Awkward.

Did you watch any of the other entertainers yesterday?

Awful, really awful. John Mellancamp, Marh J. Blige, Will.i.am.; a bunch of second rate, washed up "artists".

While I can appreciate that type of pop cultural thing in other contexts, it was painful to watch their terrrible caterwhauling in front of the Lincoln Memorial the day before innaguration. Is that the best we've got? Really????

Mary J. Blige and John Mellencamp are washed up? Dang, I must be gettin' old. :001_huh:

lol William Shatner ;D. too funny. I really did not enjoy the poem, mostly because of the reading.

I did love the quartet. Simple Gifts is one of my favorite hymns. I love the Raffi version all the way through the Aaron Copeland version. It was beautiful.

I liked Aretha - failing voice and all. I agree that she didnt' sound her best, but I appreciated what she represented. I loved the hat. It suited her larger than life persona.

Eek. I was wondering if someone was going to bring this up. I agree. It sounded like she was mumbling some lines there under the guise of some cool soul vocalizing. But, I just figured hey, she's getting up there in years and it's freezing out there and well, she still is the Queen of Soul and an absolute diva in my book. But I agree, it wasn't her best performance.

My family heard Aretha sing at the Capitol July 4th event in DC a few years back. It was awful. She forget the words to the song and was off key. She is past her prime but doesn't seem to realize it. I don't think the weather has anything to do with it.

I dunno... maybe I just overlaid her voice in my head. She sounded pretty Aretha to me.

Rick Warren, on the other hand, looked as if he was coming off a bender, the invocation itself seemed disjointed and the way he said "Malia and Sashaaaaa" seemed, uh, a little creepy. What was that about? Does anyone have a point of reference? He does not strike me as the type who is generally disheveled and seemingly unprepared. :001_huh:

Oh, and yes, blech to the reading of the poem.

Maybe it was the weather; people seemed to be having difficulty vocalizing all around.

I had a hard time hearing her; she was drowned out by the instrumentals and backup vocals. Someone could have done better mixing the sound, to make her voice more prominent. I thought the song itself was good, and the arrangement (from what I could hear) sounded very good. But I couldn't understand/hear her well enough.

Wendi

You were right...;)

(excerpt from: Live or Memorex )

..."The temperature hovered around 30 for the ceremony on the Capitol steps, too cold for McGill's clarinet, Ma's cello or Perlman's violin to offer true pitch. But the cold played havoc with the piano, which can't hold tune below 55 degrees for more than two hours, Florman said. The group played at 11:43 a.m., and guests seated near them could hear them as well as the tape made two days earlier. Guests seated farther away, the crowds that thronged the National Mall, and the millions who watched around the world heard the taped version of Williams' piece."