Menu

North Carolina

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are in Charlotte and wondered if any of you know how to spread the word here to homeschoolers?

Charlotte Christian Theatre is doing an amazing presentation of Cinderella, Thursday, 3/17 & Friday, 3/18 7PM-9pm & Saturday, 3/19 2PM-4pm

CROSSWAY COMMUNITY CHURCH

6400 PROSPERITY CHURCH RD, CHARLOTTE 28269

It is Free! Offerings accepted.

Do you all read anything locally online that I could post to? are there homeschool groups? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tmurfnc

Hi, I am new to homeschooling and have 2 pre-k children that I currently teach at home. Is there anyone in or around the Raleigh area that is interested in meeting once a month or so? Just thought it would be nice to meet other like minded moms that teach classical style in this area.:001_smile:

:)

Trish

Greensboro, NC

Born in Rockingham (the city not the county)

Went to school at Appalachian State University (wish I could just live in the mountains)

Lived in West End for 5 years

Lived in Warsaw (NC not Poland!!!) for 2

Now living in Greensboro (for the last 3 years)

If any of you folks hear of a church needing a pastor in the Mountains let me know!!! I think God is calling us back up there!!!:D

Hi, I am new to homeschooling and have 2 pre-k children that I currently teach at home. Is there anyone in or around the Raleigh area that is interested in meeting once a month or so? Just thought it would be nice to meet other like minded moms that teach classical style in this area.:001_smile:

:)

Trish

Hi Trish! Do you know of the spice-line yahoo group? You could also post there to get a group going. (My children are all a little too old for the pre-K set.)

Guest tmurfnc

Hi Brenda, thanks for responding, yes, I am on spice-line but I just thought that I might post here so that anyone who is doing the classical style would like to get together. I am not necessarily looking for only pre-k moms but just moms in general who are in Raleigh and teaching that style. I figure a night out once a month to have coffee and just to talk about home-schooling, kids, etc. would be nice.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi ladies! For anyone in the Concord / Charlotte area - I wanted to let you know about a academic co-op that is opening up to new members for the 2012/2013 year. Below is the information. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Scholars of Grace Homeschool Co-op

Christ centered, Academic Co-op

Formed in 2006

Rooted in the following curriculum:

*Tapestry of Grace (providing Literature and History)

*Apologia Sciences

*Institue for the Excellence in Writing (IEW)

Current enrollment for 2012/13: 21 families, 51 students

ranging in age from Pre-school to High School seniors

Meet weekly (Thursday) from 8:45 until 1:30 (lab sciences meet until 3:30)

Meet at Brookdale Baptist Church in Kannapolis, NC

This is a "Co-op" in name and function - every family is required to facilitate a class and participate in the overall function of the group

This group exists as a supplement to your homeschool. Students are TAUGHT at home and come to SOG to INTERACT with that material in a group setting

Contact persons: Sherri Allman, 704-827-2936, allmansherri@yahoo.com or Pam Terry, 704-394-5839, apterry@bellsouth.net

Enrollment in the 2012/13 school year IS still open; fees include $50 membership fee per family and a fee for science classes per student (amount dependent on the class selected)

• 2 weeks later...

In Winston for the past 6 years, originally from the northeast. Quite a change. Love the spring and fall, hate the summers! Still cannot get used to the true southern accents. My friends from here laugh at me when I cannot understand them:001_smile:

• 3 weeks later...

We are about 45 min east of Raleigh, the Louisburg area, between Rocky Mount and Raleigh. We are in Wake Forest and Raleigh about once a week or so. I'm familiar w/ Garner a bit, my midwife was there. We have been here for 3 yrs and have lived all over the south, northeast, & MI but I think we are finally settled, I think. Oh & we are not military, I get that question a lot.

Samantha

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are about 45 min east of Raleigh, the Louisburg area, between Rocky Mount and Raleigh. We are in Wake Forest and Raleigh about once a week or so. I'm familiar w/ Garner a bit, my midwife was there. We have been here for 3 yrs and have lived all over the south, northeast, & MI but I think we are finally settled, I think. Oh & we are not military, I get that question a lot.

Samantha

We probably used the same midwife!

I live in Raleigh. Nice to see so many people from NC.

Jen, I live about 15 minutes away in Cameron. I work in Southern Pines. I'm not homeschooling right now because I had to go to work but am hoping our house sells and I can quit and bring the kids home again in the next 3 or 4 months.

I was in NC for 7 years but have called Columbus, OH my home for the past 4 years, but getting ready to move back to NC early next year - near the Pinehurst/Southern Pines/Aberdeen area. Anyone in that area?

Hi North Carolina people!

My family might be moving to the Charlotte area. Can anyone here give me the quick low-down on the homeschooling situation? Specifically, can I put my high schooler in 2-3 classes at the local high school and homeschool the rest? How about playing sports? Can homeschoolers play sports at the schools? If not - where do they go for sports?

Thanks!

Kathy

Hi North Carolina people!

My family might be moving to the Charlotte area. Can anyone here give me the quick low-down on the homeschooling situation? Specifically, can I put my high schooler in 2-3 classes at the local high school and homeschool the rest? How about playing sports? Can homeschoolers play sports at the schools? If not - where do they go for sports?

Thanks!

Kathy

Kathy, I think I read either on the General Education or Chat boards a few days ago that NC doesn't allow homeschoolers to participate in any public school classes, sports, or activities.

Hi North Carolina people! My family might be moving to the Charlotte area. Can anyone here give me the quick low-down on the homeschooling situation? Specifically, can I put my high schooler in 2-3 classes at the local high school and homeschool the rest? How about playing sports? Can homeschoolers play sports at the schools? If not - where do they go for sports? Thanks! Kathy
Kathy, I think I read either on the General Education or Chat boards a few days ago that NC doesn't allow homeschoolers to participate in any public school classes, sports, or activities.

I missed this on the first go around. Thanks to Hoppy for bumping the post with her comment.

What Hoppy said is true. Homeschoolers are not allowed to participate in sports or take classes at the public schools. Dual enrollment at the community college is permitted once your student turns sixteen.

My son played hockey at a private rink when he was in high school. Homeschoolers sometimes took advantage of open skate times in the afternoons.

In our area, soccer and basketball are organized outside of the high schools. We know homeschoolers who take tennis lessons; others participate in the various runs for charity. Competitive swimming might be available.

I would see what the town and county rec programs in your new community have to offer. Charlotte should have a fair number of homeschoolers so they might be better organized than folks in my neck of the woods.

Best regards,

Jane

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a note that I've posted several new field trips in our area - Strange Science (at Discovery Place), and Robotics and Rocketry labs (Columbia, SC). Also the deadline to register for the Mayan History camp-in (Feb. 15-16 at the SC State Museum) is approaching. For more info about these and other trips, field trips, and camps, see http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/atravel.html

I'm also planning a meet-up in Rock Hill, SC, for next week. I'll post more details soon.

Warmly,

Dianna

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

HI NC Mom!

We're currently in VA and my DH is looking into a Wilmington, NC job. Can you tell me what it's like to homeschool in NC? If anyone can give me info. on what living in Wlmington is like I'd be really appreciative.

Thanks!

Alley

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We're in the Triad too! Northern Davidson County near High Point.

We're just starting out, but we know lots of homeschooled kids around here who play sports (basketball, softball, etc.) at the local public elementary school. Not sure if that is a district- or school-level decision, or if they're not aware of a state law prohibiting homeschoolers from extracurriculars (if there is one)?

If it's an after-school elementary program, it isn't necessarily run by the district at all--here in Raleigh a lot of the after-school and track-out stuff is run by the YMCA, Parks & Rec Department, or other entities. Do they have to pay for it, do you know? I would be surprised to see a school running something free for kids who are not enrolled there.

It's not free (for anybody -- ps kids pay too); they have to buy their uniform, etc. but they're run through the school. They're the same teams dd played on when she was in ps. We've played through Upward and through the YMCA too; I know the difference. The school's name is printed on the jerseys. Sign-ups, pictures, etc. are all arranged through the school. They play in school gyms/fields. Maybe since it's elementary level and there is a booster club it's not considered to be part of the school. I don't know what the policies are at the higher levels. But if you ask any kid around here what team they play for, they'll say the name of their school.

This is a rural county with lots of homeschoolers so possibly it's just a more homeschool-friendly district than the bigger counties.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Welcome to NC! :)

Piedmont Homeschoolers has a yahoo group where you can ask about Burlington specifically. There are several support groups in the Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem area. NC Home Educators have a website that lists support groups by region.

Edited due to phone "help" from my 4 year old.