Menu

Favorite Dog Food

For kibble, I fed Taste of the Wild with no grain, for my favorite...and the one that makes my dog's tail wag....I suggest reading about Meat! When I went to the Wild life place, right before I started this, I looked at it and realized...dogs eat meat. His teeth are great, his eyes are looking good, it's great! Check out some books; first week is kinda weird...now it's totally normal! Price wise, I pay almost the same as what I use to pay. I can get all the organ meats for 99 cents a lb. (hearts and kidneys of sheep and cow, and I expect to ask all my friends who buy meat by the cow or hunt...for their organs this coming season) Your dog eats between 2%-3% of their body weight. All my dog eats is the muscle organs, a bit of liver and some raw bones....(safe ones) Also, I rotate the above with raw chickens, cut into quarters. Oh, and if I want I crack some eggs for him (about 6) It's a bit crazy to wrap your brain around...but if eating this way would kill a dog...there'd be a ton of dead dogs...My dog enjoys crunching on carrots and such. I do clean up where I'm cutting the chicken up and such...just as I would if I was preparing it for our dinner, and I feed my dog in the bathtub, so I can just quick clean it up. It took feeding him maybe 3-4 times before he was trained to stay in the bathtub.... And no, I'm not nervous about salmonella, he licks himself...and it's cleaner than the other things he'd eat if given a chance:-) This takes an average of 2 minutes a day. (Yes, I know others disagree.... I'm use to most of my choices having the disagreeing thing going on...)

Carrie:-)

My mother-in-law got a puppy the other day, so I started researching dog foods and came across this dog food review web-site.

While I take anything with a grain of salt, the reviews were pretty much in line with what I read elsewhere and my own experience, so I'll pass on the link, hoping it helps you.

Bill

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Obviously there are so many variables in choosing a quality dog food. Dog food brands that USED to be excellent, brands once at the top for quality, now ride off their name alone and their quality is no greater than any other run of the mill food. (like Schwinn used to be a great bike, now it is a name slapped on a cheap bike)

The best situation in a perfect world is to feed a top quality, super premium food. However, many now can not afford to feed their pets a super quality food or there are those who don't have the time to prepare/feed a healthy, homemade diet. I believe at that point you have to decide what you can do within reason that works for your dog and your budget. If you feed a less quality food, do some research and see if you couldn't add a supplement to help their coat. Flax seed and fish oil are common supplements which can add gloss and shine to a dogs coat.

I'm off to check out Spycars link, it sounds like it is a good one.

I will be watching this thread, I like information about what I feed to my furkins..

Thank you for all of the help. I have been looking through all of the sites mentioned above. I have also find two other dog food review sites.

http://www.rateitall.com/t-353-dog-food-brands.aspx

http://hubpages.com/hub/Dog_Food_Review

The food we are using is one of the foods that got 5 stars on the first website mentioned in this thread. I talked to someone about one of the foods that have no grains, and she mentioned that was for dogs that are very active. That doesn't fit the description of my very overweight and not very active cocker. She said that she didn't think it would be good for him because he would probably gain more weight. That is something that he does not need to do. He is blind and doesn't like to exercise.

Jan

My puppy eats Spot's Stew puppy kibble with a teaspoon of their canned lamb mixed in. It's human-grade dog food, very high quality, but alas, also very expensive. It did the trick in firming up his soft stools though.

My cats also eat Spot's Stew cat kibble, and sometimes the canned. No grains, high quality, but expensive.

I also like Wellness, an excellent brand, but my puppy had overly soft stools on their puppy kibble.

Michelle T

I talked to someone about one of the foods that have no grains, and she mentioned that was for dogs that are very active. That doesn't fit the description of my very overweight and not very active cocker. She said that she didn't think it would be good for him because he would probably gain more weight. That is something that he does not need to do. He is blind and doesn't like to exercise.

Jan

She said a food with *no* grain would make him *gain* weight? I would expect it to be the other way around -- that very active dogs would benefit from grains. Is she a vet?

No grains, you eat/feed less, and they lose weight. This works whether you do raw or good dog food:-) Try it for 2-3 months and you'll see the evidence. If he's overweight, you do the 2% of the ideal body weight. You just kinda feel their back to see how their weight is doing.

Exactly Kris, I hear in Scotland they give oatmeal to the working dogs so they can keep the weight on.....

Edited by NayfiesMama
A comment in response to Kris.....

She said a food with *no* grain would make him *gain* weight? I would expect it to be the other way around -- that very active dogs would benefit from grains. Is she a vet?

No. She was not a vet. I wonder how accurate the information she gave me was.

I don't think I would be up to cooking for my dogs. I wouldn't mind supplementing, but I don't think my husband would agree to cooking all the meals for them. He loves the dogs as much as I do, but doesn't understand my obsession to finding the perfect food for them. :D

I am currently trying Wellness Super5 Mix. It has great rating several places. I wonder if I just haven't given it long enough. We were using Blue before the swtich. I transitioned them over a couple of weeks, but it hasn't been that long that I have been only using the Wellness. I am also using the lamb version and maybe my senstive cocker would do better with another meat source. I really want to find a great dog food that the dogs love and that they don't have any skin or coat issues.

Jan

Edited by jg_puppy

Nutro-Max...swear by it...here are our dogs...one lived to be 15.5 years old, people couldn't believe she was 15...the food doesn't do it all..we have always taken them for long walks, let them run wild at the river and be dogs...but I've always used Nutro-Max and never had a problem....

IMG_0680.jpg This was 2 days before she died..she was feeling awful but she was a good ole dog.

IMG_1045.jpg

Beagle and mutt...

Can someone tell me more about the flint river food?

I have 2 dogs that are about 80 lbs. How much would they eat in a month. Or, how many cups/servings in a 20 lb bag?

Thank you!

http://www.flintriver.com/catalog.asp

My 90-95 lb. dog eats a 20 lb. bag of dog food every 6 weeks. He really likes it. The website will tell you serving sizes. I don't use them. I just put two scoops of dog food in his bowl every day. He also eats table scraps (meat), pizza, and stolen bread and cash. His extracurricular eating is not due to being hungry as he always has dog food in his bowl. We put a scoop in the bowl twice a day, and he waits to eat until right before I go to bed.

Edited by RoughCollie

Question for "raw" feeders. Is there a concern about pathogens? Are they "killed" by freezing? Is this risky? Or not risky?

I know feeding raw has become the rage since I last had a dog, and everyone who does it that I've run into in real life or on the web is highly enthusiastic about the results.

I'm not educated on the practice, so I have those (probably typical) concerns about raw meat, especially given the state of most slaughter-houses.

So, set me straight.

Bill

My lab has a sensitive system. I tried feeding him raw and he had the runs and his anal glands became inflamed and *stinky*

He can't have any table scraps either or his glands get yucky. Blech.

He eats Canidae. I get it from my local feed store and it has been great. No more yucky gland issues and no intestinal issues.

Here's the link... http://www.canidae.com/

Question for "raw" feeders. Is there a concern about pathogens? Are they "killed" by freezing? Is this risky? Or not risky?

I know feeding raw has become the rage since I last had a dog, and everyone who does it that I've run into in real life or on the web is highly enthusiastic about the results.

I'm not educated on the practice, so I have those (probably typical) concerns about raw meat, especially given the state of most slaughter-houses.

So, set me straight.

Bill

I believe a raw diet is still rather controversial.

I feed my dog a whole foods diet (turkey, eggs, brown rice, apples, spinach, sweet potatoes, carrots, etc.) but my veterinarian recommended that I *always* cook the meat and eggs.

My lab has a sensitive system. I tried feeding him raw and he had the runs and his anal glands became inflamed and *stinky*

He can't have any table scraps either or his glands get yucky. Blech.

He eats Canidae. I get it from my local feed store and it has been great. No more yucky gland issues and no intestinal issues.

Here's the link... http://www.canidae.com/

My Cairn eats Canidae, too. It was recommended by a few Cairn breeders. She also has had EVO in the past.

http://www.flintriver.com/catalog.asp

My 90-95 lb. dog eats a 20 lb. bag of dog food every 6 weeks. He really likes it. The website will tell you serving sizes. I don't use them. I just put two scoops of dog food in his bowl every day. He also eats table scraps (meat), pizza, and stolen bread and cash. His extracurricular eating is not due to being hungry as he always has dog food in his bowl. We put a scoop in the bowl twice a day, and he waits to eat until right before I go to bed.

Thank you!

Hmmmm... Right now I am buying (2) 40 lb bags of Costco Lamb and Rice and it is barely making it til the last of the month. We don't feed table scraps, though so I wonder how much they would need? The website says 3 1/2

to 4 1/2 cups a day which is what they get now.

Thank you!

Hmmmm... Right now I am buying (2) 40 lb bags of Costco Lamb and Rice and it is barely making it til the last of the month. We don't feed table scraps, though so I wonder how much they would need? The website says 3 1/2

to 4 1/2 cups a day which is what they get now.

Our dog gets table scraps, but the total amount is like a snack, not a meal.

I just checked Quicken. Our dog ate 6 20-pound bags of Flint River in 9 months. I opened bag #7 today and he still had some of bag #6 left. This works out to 13-1/3 lbs. of FR per month for our dog.

DH says he thinks the dog ate one 20-pound bag per month of Iams before we switched to FR.

One thing I did was buy a Flint River sample pack of different foods to make sure the dog liked them before I invested in a large bag. On 3/24, I ordered my first big bag, which cost $30, including delivery. Now each bag costs about $35, including delivery. I get the dog food very quickly after I order it. I order one bag at a time so it won't spoil, and I do so every 6 weeks.

One kind of strange thing is that after the dog finishes eating his food, he licks the bowl. He never did that before FR. I thought he might still be hungry, but he isn't.

Edited by RoughCollie

Bill

Maybe it's just kinda how you see nutrition. I suppose that cooking and feeding the food to your dog is better than kibble, but I have to say it's just not as good for your dog, nutrition wise. Also, dogs aren't really meant to have more than a nibble of veggies and such. On certain occasions I've given my dog a bowl of yogurt and bananas. By trial and error, I've found that this is "his secret recipe" for the times he gets into...paper towels. It helps him get rid of them....Ewww... Also, if he's sick at all....this seems to help him. Others disagree because of how fast a dog's system gets rid of the food.

I also believe that though dogs are domesticated, their systems are still very close to ...wolfs and the like. When you try it, seriously, it just feels right after you do it for a while. Haven't you ever wondered why they can eat food that is a bit older and not get sick?

NOW, don't give cooked bones, and for the first few times you feed raw, stay near to make sure you don't have a gulper. (You can fix this, you just want to know if it's an issue.) They also drink less, because they are getting more liquid.

There are many spots online to read about a raw food diet. It's about 80% meat (kidneys and heart count for this) and 10% bones and 10% liver.

I can't tell you how lucky I was to find it for my dog. I pick up his bag of meat on Tuesdays, and just plunk it right from the fridge into the bathtub on a plate. He eats...and I just wipe out the tub. Literally, cleaning and everything takes about 2 minutes.

He also loves chicken feet, heart, liver, and quartered chicken. (Although he prefers just the heart and liver of the chicken, he'll eat the rest)

I honestly believe that this is how they were meant to eat. You just see my dog jump up and down...and get SO excited. And, I know that vets usually have to be cautious...kinda like Drs. That's ok...my dog's health is proof of why it works. Are there risks for my dog? Sure! But not as many..just different...of those that are welcomed by kibble feeders....

Off my shouting box....Everyone loves their pets...we just have different points of views...like for our 2 legged children:-)

PS, you can check out this site: They use more supplements than I do...but it's good info from a professional:-)

http:/leerburg.comsearchdosearch.phpterms=

raw+food&Submit.x=10&Submit.y=5

We use California Natural, and it's working great. We used to use Wellness but then the recipe changed and it didn't seem as high quality. Then we switched to Canadae, but that one changed, too. It's very confusing figuring all of this out! I don't want to feed them raw food, and one of ours is on Core because everything else makes him sick (he's an older shepherd), but my other ones, I seem to have to switch all the time, just when we get comfortable with something.

Sandy

Our dog gets table scraps, but the total amount is like a snack, not a meal.

I just checked Quicken. Our dog ate 6 20-pound bags of Flint River in 9 months. I opened bag #7 today and he still had some of bag #6 left. This works out to 13-1/3 lbs. of FR per month for our dog.

DH says he thinks the dog ate one 20-pound bag per month of Iams before we switched to FR.

One thing I did was by a Flint River sample pack of different foods to make sure the dog liked them before I invested in a large bag. On 3/24, I ordered my first big bag, which cost $30, including delivery. Now each bag costs about $35, including delivery. I get the dog food very quickly after I order it. I order one bag at a time so it won't spoil, and I do so every 6 weeks.

One kind of strange thing is that after the dog finishes eating his food, he licks the bowl. He never did that before FR. I thought he might still be hungry, but he isn't.

That is very helpful, thank you. I will order some samples. :001_smile:

It's very confusing figuring all of this out! I don't want to feed them raw food,

Sandy

That is where I am at right now. Confused. I want what is best for my dogs, but I don't think I could feed them raw. It is complicated by the fact that we have one senior (in poor health), one adult, and on Sunday we are looking at a puppy.

This brings me to another question. Has anyone who has used Flint River used it with a puppy?

How did you know what meat source is best for your dog? I am having a hard time knowing if I should go with chicken, lamb, or fish as the main meat source.

Jan

Drat. I'm having trouble getting the link to work...is there a name or term I can look up? I'm interested in this information!

Sandy

Maybe it's just kinda how you see nutrition. I suppose that cooking and feeding the food to your dog is better than kibble, but I have to say it's just not as good for your dog, nutrition wise. Also, dogs aren't really meant to have more than a nibble of veggies and such. On certain occasions I've given my dog a bowl of yogurt and bananas. By trial and error, I've found that this is "his secret recipe" for the times he gets into...paper towels. It helps him get rid of them....Ewww... Also, if he's sick at all....this seems to help him. Others disagree because of how fast a dog's system gets rid of the food.

I also believe that though dogs are domesticated, their systems are still very close to ...wolfs and the like. When you try it, seriously, it just feels right after you do it for a while. Haven't you ever wondered why they can eat food that is a bit older and not get sick?

NOW, don't give cooked bones, and for the first few times you feed raw, stay near to make sure you don't have a gulper. (You can fix this, you just want to know if it's an issue.) They also drink less, because they are getting more liquid.

There are many spots online to read about a raw food diet. It's about 80% meat (kidneys and heart count for this) and 10% bones and 10% liver.

I can't tell you how lucky I was to find it for my dog. I pick up his bag of meat on Tuesdays, and just plunk it right from the fridge into the bathtub on a plate. He eats...and I just wipe out the tub. Literally, cleaning and everything takes about 2 minutes.

He also loves chicken feet, heart, liver, and quartered chicken. (Although he prefers just the heart and liver of the chicken, he'll eat the rest)

I honestly believe that this is how they were meant to eat. You just see my dog jump up and down...and get SO excited. And, I know that vets usually have to be cautious...kinda like Drs. That's ok...my dog's health is proof of why it works. Are there risks for my dog? Sure! But not as many..just different...of those that are welcomed by kibble feeders....

Off my shouting box....Everyone loves their pets...we just have different points of views...like for our 2 legged children:-)

PS, you can check out this site: They use more supplements than I do...but it's good info from a professional:-)

Do a search for leerburg dog training. I also read the most lovely blog that I linked to from somewhere on this board. The family had built a house where they did this incredible system to heat and cool? their house...out on property. They had beautiful dogs and had a bit about their feeding and training. I'll post on the board and see if anyone knows which blog I'm talking about. I need to have blogs marked so I can get back to them. It's frustrating when you read something so special and then can't ever read about it again. I think they homeschooled, too. I also read a book about the BARF diet. I don't do all the supplements that you can do, because there are many different views and really...I can't afford supplements...I absolutely love this new way of feeding. If you want me to help find any more info...feel free to pm me.

Do a search for leerburg dog training.

http://leerburg.com/feedingarawdiet.htm

I don't like leerburg's training at all but I like their raw FAQ :001_smile:

Christie Keith (syndicated pet author) did a good blog post very recently on the general topic of raw & the general food safety issues at http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2008/11/15/the-great-raw-diet-non-debate/

For anyone who has pets, I highly recommend www.petconnection.com/blog for great discussions about all pet topics. They were on the forefront of coverage of the pet food recall & the general safety issues with food in general - pet & human.

The short answer to the issue of dogs & bacteria is that dogs have a much more acidic gut, and a much shorter digestive tract. They don't digest things the way we do.

As far as food prep & contamination, I feed human grade raw meat. I take all the normal precautions I'd take with meat for my family during the prep....

I know it still is controversial among the vet community - just like homebirth, vaccinations in human meds etc are. I suppose that there are human doctors who probably have qualms about patients who are strict vegans.

My current vet supports raw feeding & there are many 'raw friendly' vets in the Vancouver area. I suspect a lot more vets have a don't ask, don't tell policy. Certainly my previous vet was curiously careful to avoid that subject. I have an almost 6yo ***** with an amazing coat & when he betn down to check her teeth he was starting to say "well at her age we'll need to think about a dental" and then trailed off uncertainly..... Her teeth are spotless.

Her breath is lovely. Eyes clear, ears don't smell, skin & coat are wonderful.

I have been told by a few dog breeders/trainers (they all feed raw) that you do have to be knowledgable about raw feeding. They said it may not be good for older animals or animals that don't excercise much as it could lead to kidney problems. Also if you feed raw and kibble or other cooked food, you aren't supposed to give them at the same time. Kibble takes longer to digest and any raw meat would sit in there with the kibble, and this allows bacteria growth. Raw meat alone digests very quickly.

This is what I was told.

We have been using Blue Buffalo, it is working well, my Labs skin condition is getting better as well. As an added bonus, the dogs smell better!

That's what our rescued French bulldog's foster mother fed him. When he came to us, however, his coat was dry and scratchy, and it has improved tremendously since we've had him and feed Innova. Go figure. :-)

I pick up his bag of meat on Tuesdays, and just plunk it right from the fridge into the bathtub on a plate. He eats...and I just wipe out the tub. Literally, cleaning and everything takes about 2 minutes.

The dog eats the raw meat from the bath-tub? I love it! :D

Having just read a thread about women who (for sake of bath-room neatness) have their male children urinate sitting down...this just tickles my funny bone :lol:

Thank you for the info and the link Carrie. We are actively thinking about getting a dog and I'll look into this more. As I said, everyone I've talked to who've fed their dogs "raw" speak of it with enthusiasm.

Cheers,

Bill

Of course, it's not as good as Taste of the Wild, but it isn't as expensive, either. Our Golden is a working dog (duck hunter) and this works really well for him. His coat is gorgeous, his piles are small, well formed and do not stink (gotta think about those things!)

You want something high in protein, i.e. lamb, duck, bison, venison. Beef is OK, not ideal. The gal who feeds her dog with the BARF supplementation is doing a wonderful job...I am proud of her! But for me - nope. Like the kibble. I give him raw meat maybe once a week, but definitely not as a regular meal.

We are using the Sweet Potato and Venison (it's grain free). You certainly need to stay away from things that have corn in it. Read your labels - do some research.

Good luck!

We currently have two dogs, but I am not happy with the dog food we are giving them. I have noticed that their coats are getting really dry and dull. Does anyone have any suggestions on a really good brand of dog food?

Jan

Purina Dog Chow. I didn't see it ever recalled, so that helped my confidence level :)

She gets a lot of scraps too.

I might check out the raw diet thing tho. I agree that it DOES sound like a Real Dog Diet. would feeding them raw once a week be ok? then increasing it? I need to implement stuff in baby steps :D

off to read the links......

Obviously there are so many variables in choosing a quality dog food. Dog food brands that USED to be excellent, brands once at the top for quality, now ride off their name alone and their quality is no greater than any other run of the mill food. (like Schwinn used to be a great bike, now it is a name slapped on a cheap bike)

:iagree: