Menu

Standing desk?

sheryl

Does anyone have an automatic adjustable standing desk?  Do you like it? Is it worth getting?  Are there various sizes?  What features do you look for?

I'm tired of sitting to do this and that.  I'll still sit but would like to stand too.  

Thoughts? 

My dh made a standing desk when COVID hit and he needed to work from home, but it isn't adjustable. He used a regular table with milk crates on the top. He recently added one of the kitchen mats (memory foam maybe?) to stand on (ceramic tile flooring). He has a standing desk at work and loves it. He stands all day. 

Good luck with your search for an adjustable one! 

• Like 1

I've had a standing desk for over a decade, but half of that it was a homemade diy solution and the other half was a great but non adjustable IKEA standing desk.  My diy solution was putting my regular desk on a pair of 12" step stools - worked great and was just $20.  In our new house I needed a very small footprint so I went with a vertical desk from IKEA.  We also have tile and my memory foam mat is a must.

• Like 1

I have one and never use it. I worked in pharmacy and stood at a computer for 20+ years. I thought I would prefer a standing desk. But no… it isn’t comfortable to do this much typing standing up. I use 3 monitors so I am changing positions all the time. 

• Like 1

I have this one and, I really like it for what I need. I teach math online to homeschoolers. It isn't automatic, but it can be adjusted quite a bit.

I put the laptop on the top level, and I put the textbook and a pen tablet on the lower level. I don't tilt any of it. 

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 1

DH had a DIY one for years and years, then we moved and he sat for a while. He’s back to standing, and has an adjustable desk from Amazon. He stands on a mat made for standing desks — it has some patterns (bumps) to adjust where/how you have your feet, like a foam massage mat for your feet. Looks comfy. 

Costco sometimes sells adjustable standing desks that look nice, too.

• Like 1

2dd and dsil both have standing desks from costco.   2dd's was shorted out after a lightening strike, and i'm not sure what she's doing (she's also moved her desk to their bedroom).  dsil works from home, and is very happy with his, and sometimes he has to stand because it hurts to sit..   I think they may have gotten another one.

2ds made one - he bought a wood slab from HD and bought the legs/mechanism from somewhere online.

my only thought with them is they really don't have any storage.  I tried to get arms for 2ds's three monitors (so they wouldn't be resting on the desk itself) - he returned it and hasn't' found one he likes.  or isn't willing to pay that much for one he likes.

• Like 1

I do not have an automatic standing desk, but I have a device that holds my monitor and my keyboard that adjusts to a standing position.  I can adjust the height of the keyboard and the monitor separately (desktop rather than laptop).  I tend to stand when I am teaching online.  I find I like my monitor height to be different if I am mainly typing, mainly editing/reading, or mainly using ZOOM.  The adjustability allows me to change the monitor height even when I am in the sitting position, which helps with particular tasks and helps prevent fatigue. 

• Like 1

DH has one. I think it’s the most expensive ikea model. They delivered it upstairs to his office and he assembled it. Most of his team seems to have them. It has preset buttons so he doesn’t have to fine tune every time he moves the desk up or down. He adjusts it multiple times a day. 

• Like 1

My husband bought a fancy one during Covid and used it for standing for about 6 months and now it just sits in sit mode!

I had an adjustable standing topper on my desk at work, as well as several other counselors.  I don't think any of us use them anymore. I think about it, but I know I didn't use it when I had it.

I may just not be talented enough to stand or walk while working/typing.   YMMV

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SHP said:

FYI if you use a laptop or multiple monitors a standing desk can be tricky for comfort. 

I had one and a laptop. Not a good set up.

The one I have at work is a full sized desk that raises and lowers using an electric motor. I use a laptop,  an extra monitor and sometimes print outs, all at the same height.

At home I just have a large box that my laptop sits on, but I'm able to adjust my extra monitor to almost the same height.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

The one I have at work is a full sized desk that raises and lowers using an electric motor. I use a laptop,  an extra monitor and sometimes print outs, all at the same height.

At home I just have a large box that my laptop sits on, but I'm able to adjust my extra monitor to almost the same height.

I think with a laptop an external monitor is a must, but even that didn't help me. The contortions were painful. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SHP said:

FYI if you use a laptop or multiple monitors a standing desk can be tricky for comfort. 

This hasnt been our experience. Dh has 3 monitors on arms, plus a laptop. He does use the monitors more—it’s easier to read on a large screen than a small one, but there are times when he is laptop only—he just adjusts the desk.

His uplift has 4(?) preset buttons. 

• Like 1

I have an adjustable desk-top standing/sitting device. It wasn't big enough to hold my 2 monitors, but with a board on top on the device it works great. My office provided the device, so I wasn't out any money. I would probably not invest in it myself, but it is really nice to have the option to stand when my upper back is sore and I've been sitting too long. I should probably stand more often, but I forget. 

• Like 1

I have two Flexispot desks. I can sit and sew or raise it up to cut out my fabric. It comes in many tabletop sizes and finishes, and you can buy it on Amazon. It also allows you to set your favorite heights, so you can adjust it at the push of a button.

Edited by Mona
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bambam said:

My dh made a standing desk when COVID hit and he needed to work from home, but it isn't adjustable. He used a regular table with milk crates on the top. He recently added one of the kitchen mats (memory foam maybe?) to stand on (ceramic tile flooring). He has a standing desk at work and loves it. He stands all day. 

Good luck with your search for an adjustable one! 

Thanks.  I'm looking though to buy one.  Thanks!  Glad to hear your dh likes his work one.

14 hours ago, forty-two said:

I've had a standing desk for over a decade, but half of that it was a homemade diy solution and the other half was a great but non adjustable IKEA standing desk.  My diy solution was putting my regular desk on a pair of 12" step stools - worked great and was just $20.  In our new house I needed a very small footprint so I went with a vertical desk from IKEA.  We also have tile and my memory foam mat is a must.

Right, I wish we could go for the diy version but can not.  I never thought about a "standing mat".  ?? 

14 hours ago, Tap said:

I have one and never use it. I worked in pharmacy and stood at a computer for 20+ years. I thought I would prefer a standing desk. But no… it isn’t comfortable to do this much typing standing up. I use 3 monitors so I am changing positions all the time. 

Right, I wouldn't be sitting and typing all day.  I can see where that was not real efficient for you though.  Looking for one so I can alternate b/t sitting/standing.

14 hours ago, mom31257 said:

I have this one and, I really like it for what I need. I teach math online to homeschoolers. It isn't automatic, but it can be adjusted quite a bit.

I put the laptop on the top level, and I put the textbook and a pen tablet on the lower level. I don't tilt any of it. 

OK, I like that.  I like how it can go all flat or tilted in tiers or whatnot.  Thanks.  Pulled up the link.  Is it hard to manually raise/lower?

12 hours ago, Spryte said:

DH had a DIY one for years and years, then we moved and he sat for a while. He’s back to standing, and has an adjustable desk from Amazon. He stands on a mat made for standing desks — it has some patterns (bumps) to adjust where/how you have your feet, like a foam massage mat for your feet. Looks comfy. 

Costco sometimes sells adjustable standing desks that look nice, too.

OK, thanks for that rec!

11 hours ago, SHP said:

Yes, a laptop.  That's it. Or, maybe I'll stand for a bit of painting/drawing.  Or, reading even.  Why did it not work for you?

11 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Dh has an uplift and loves it. 

Uplift?  

10 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

2dd and dsil both have standing desks from costco.   2dd's was shorted out after a lightening strike, and i'm not sure what she's doing (she's also moved her desk to their bedroom).  dsil works from home, and is very happy with his, and sometimes he has to stand because it hurts to sit..   I think they may have gotten another one.

2ds made one - he bought a wood slab from HD and bought the legs/mechanism from somewhere online.

my only thought with them is they really don't have any storage.  I tried to get arms for 2ds's three monitors (so they wouldn't be resting on the desk itself) - he returned it and hasn't' found one he likes.  or isn't willing to pay that much for one he likes.

Arms?  So your ds used a "tower" computer?  I'd be using a laptop.  In fact, the one on which I'm typing this.   🙂  See above reply.  

9 hours ago, Bootsie said:

I do not have an automatic standing desk, but I have a device that holds my monitor and my keyboard that adjusts to a standing position.  I can adjust the height of the keyboard and the monitor separately (desktop rather than laptop).  I tend to stand when I am teaching online.  I find I like my monitor height to be different if I am mainly typing, mainly editing/reading, or mainly using ZOOM.  The adjustability allows me to change the monitor height even when I am in the sitting position, which helps with particular tasks and helps prevent fatigue. 

Bootsie, I think you and others are using desktop tower (box), separate keyboard and monitor/s.  That would be a lot on one surface.  I'm using a laptop.  

7 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

DH has one. I think it’s the most expensive ikea model. They delivered it upstairs to his office and he assembled it. Most of his team seems to have them. It has preset buttons so he doesn’t have to fine tune every time he moves the desk up or down. He adjusts it multiple times a day. 

Yes, that's what I'm looking for.  Does he like it?  I think I would because it would be for personal reasons and not work that I'd buy one to begin with.   I just can't stand sitting a lot of the day.  

7 hours ago, DawnM said:

My husband bought a fancy one during Covid and used it for standing for about 6 months and now it just sits in sit mode!

I had an adjustable standing topper on my desk at work, as well as several other counselors.  I don't think any of us use them anymore. I think about it, but I know I didn't use it when I had it.

I may just not be talented enough to stand or walk while working/typing.   YMMV

Yes, I understand.  To read and navigate is one thing but to type may present an inconvenience.  I would be alternating between standing/sitting.  There are a host of reasons why I'd choose to stand.  But, I can always sit.  I'm not sure how I will respond to typing while standing.  Perhaps simple things that need typing but nothing elaborate.

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Yes, Laura, your work scenario is the one I'm interested in.   Do you stand and type?  I know a few here have mentioned that it may be a little tricky.   

2 hours ago, SHP said:

I think with a laptop an external monitor is a must, but even that didn't help me. The contortions were painful. 

Will consider this.

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

This hasnt been our experience. Dh has 3 monitors on arms, plus a laptop. He does use the monitors more—it’s easier to read on a large screen than a small one, but there are times when he is laptop only—he just adjusts the desk.

His uplift has 4(?) preset buttons. 

Uplift, ok the increments of various heights?  Hmm, so it's difficult to read a laptop.  ??  Help me to understand this.

43 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I have an adjustable desk-top standing/sitting device. It wasn't big enough to hold my 2 monitors, but with a board on top on the device it works great. My office provided the device, so I wasn't out any money. I would probably not invest in it myself, but it is really nice to have the option to stand when my upper back is sore and I've been sitting too long. I should probably stand more often, but I forget. 

OK, most of you who have a standing desk have one for work and hence the multiple monitors.   ???  This sounds like you enjoy it, no?  

11 minutes ago, Mona said:

I have two Flexispot desks. I can sit and sew or raise it up to cut out my fabric. It comes in many tabletop sizes and finishes, and you can buy it on Amazon. It also allows you to set your favorite heights, so you can adjust it at the push of a button.

Right!  Crafts, sewing is another good use for it!  Good idea!  Yes, I pulled it up just now on Amazon but haven't read through it yet.  Do you know how many height adjustments/increments there are?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sheryl said:

OK, most of you who have a standing desk have one for work and hence the multiple monitors.   ???  This sounds like you enjoy it, no?  

If you've never had multiple monitors, then I'd do this long before getting a standing desk. I LOVE my 2 monitors, and so far have not 'needed' 3, but who knows? I may need 3 pretty soon. 😉 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Yes, a laptop.  That's it. Or, maybe I'll stand for a bit of painting/drawing.  Or, reading even.  Why did it not work for you?

Uplift?  

Arms?  So your ds used a "tower" computer?  I'd be using a laptop.  In fact, the one on which I'm typing this.   🙂  See above reply.  

Bootsie, I think you and others are using desktop tower (box), separate keyboard and monitor/s.  That would be a lot on one surface.  I'm using a laptop.  

Mine is a monitor/PC (there is no separate tower--it is built into the monitor) with a separate (wireless) keyboard and a wireless mouse.  I do not think I would use a standup laptop setup very often because for the screen to be high enough in a standup position, the keyboard would be higher than a comfortable typing position.  I do have a riser (from Ikea) that I can put my laptop on If I want to raise it to a higher position.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wintermom said:

If you've never had multiple monitors, then I'd do this long before getting a standing desk. I LOVE my 2 monitors, and so far have not 'needed' 3, but who knows? I may need 3 pretty soon. 😉 

We have 2 monitors on our desktop tower downstairs in the office.  I have this little laptop that works fine for me.  I'll probably go back to using the larger one once we move but all of my files are on this laptop.  

3 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Mine is a monitor/PC (there is no separate tower--it is built into the monitor) with a separate (wireless) keyboard and a wireless mouse.  I do not think I would use a standup laptop setup very often because for the screen to be high enough in a standup position, the keyboard would be higher than a comfortable typing position.  I do have a riser (from Ikea) that I can put my laptop on If I want to raise it to a higher position.

I can not picture this.  I'll look on IKEA.  

2 minutes ago, sheryl said:

We have 2 monitors on our desktop tower downstairs in the office.  I have this little laptop that works fine for me.  I'll probably go back to using the larger one once we move but all of my files are on this laptop.  

I don't know what you were specifically asking me in your multi-post. What I enjoy - the monitors or the standing desk? I don't really care that much about the standing desk. It's ok to have, but I rarely use it.

• Like 1

Let me try to explain presets....you know how when you get into your car and you perfectly adjust the seat height and angle and distance from the wheel and you can "save" this information as a preset?  Dh is nearly a full foot taller than me. I am preset 1 in our car, and his preset is number 2. When I drive, I simply get in the car and push 1, and likewise if he is driving, he will push 2. The vehicle remembers each of our preferences and makes the adjustments without me having to tinker every time.

The uplift desk has presets like that. Dh has a preset for when he is sitting in a chair. He has a standing preset for laptop only. He has a standing preset for when he needs all of his monitors going at a certain height. He has a preset for when he is standing on his wobble board. 

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, sheryl said:

OK, most of you who have a standing desk have one for work and hence the multiple monitors.   ??? 

When standing, the laptop screen is not at a good location ergonomically for me so having an external monitor is better. Sitting is not perfect either but more tolerable. We have monitor risers and I just stack my laptop on books when I want to stand and type (I have short legs, long torso). Ironically my best typing position is using my iPad with an external keyboard. 

Below diagram explains better the difference in monitor positions though ergonomic recommendations do vary. My husband’s office adjusts their desk and chair height for each employee during their first week of work. 

image.jpeg.aab91a9246d701f03881d5b39f47d134.jpeg
Source: https://medium.com/@Aspirus/why-your-standing-desk-is-not-ergonomic-ff1c911d68bc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, sheryl said:

2ds has a tower three monitors - the arms are like this: 
R.55c17135f88923873392c3b22088a514 (1200×800) (bing.com)

dsil has a tower, and at least two monitors.  I think he has arms .. . 

R.55c17135f88923873392c3b22088a514?rik=4slHay3tfx6L3A&riu=http%3a%2f%2fworkriteergo.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2019%2f03%2fmonitor-arm-header-mobile-2.jpg&ehk=6AQf%2bCHepriN5KZF4YuP8yJU7Vj8rqh%2fTkupdCzvodw%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0R.55c17135f88923873392c3b22088a514?rik=4slHay3tfx6L3A&riu=http%3a%2f%2fworkriteergo.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2019%2f03%2fmonitor-arm-header-mobile-2.jpg&ehk=6AQf%2bCHepriN5KZF4YuP8yJU7Vj8rqh%2fTkupdCzvodw%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0both of them have an ergonomic keyboard.
2dd has a laptop - and I think she's replaced her standing desk, but has always had it low enough to sit in a chair.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sheryl said:

Uplift?  

Yes, that's what I'm looking for.  Does he like it?  I think I would because it would be for personal reasons and not work that I'd buy one to begin with.   I just can't stand sitting a lot of the day.  

DH loves it and most of his team have a standing desk of some sort. Sometimes they all push the bottom at once and stand during an online meeting. 

I’ve seen people modify it by using a butcher block top. Those look nice. I stayed at an Air BnB once where they used a standing desk base to support the kitchen island so it could be made accessible. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Let me try to explain presets....you know how when you get into your car and you perfectly adjust the seat height and angle and distance from the wheel and you can "save" this information as a preset?  Dh is nearly a full foot taller than me. I am preset 1 in our car, and his preset is number 2. When I drive, I simply get in the car and push 1, and likewise if he is driving, he will push 2. The vehicle remembers each of our preferences and makes the adjustments without me having to tinker every time.

The uplift desk has presets like that. Dh has a preset for when he is sitting in a chair. He has a standing preset for laptop only. He has a standing preset for when he needs all of his monitors going at a certain height. He has a preset for when he is standing on his wobble board. 

OK, got that!  Explained well.  I had no idea until now.  Appreciate that! 🙂 

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

When standing, the laptop screen is not at a good location ergonomically for me so having an external monitor is better. Sitting is not perfect either but more tolerable. We have monitor risers and I just stack my laptop on books when I want to stand and type (I have short legs, long torso). Ironically my best typing position is using my iPad with an external keyboard. 

Below diagram explains better the difference in monitor positions though ergonomic recommendations do vary. My husband’s office adjusts their desk and chair height for each employee during their first week of work. 

image.jpeg.aab91a9246d701f03881d5b39f47d134.jpeg
Source: https://medium.com/@Aspirus/why-your-standing-desk-is-not-ergonomic-ff1c911d68bc

Yes, got this!  My chiropractor said it's important to have the screen at eye level as close as possible.  So, I do want it for that reason but to just "stand" too.  Mind you I won't be standing 6-8 hours a day.  Thanks for the pics, Arcadia!

3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

2ds has a tower three monitors - the arms are like this: 
R.55c17135f88923873392c3b22088a514 (1200×800) (bing.com)

dsil has a tower, and at least two monitors.  I think he has arms .. . 

R.55c17135f88923873392c3b22088a514?rik=4slHay3tfx6L3A&riu=http%3a%2f%2fworkriteergo.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2019%2f03%2fmonitor-arm-header-mobile-2.jpg&ehk=6AQf%2bCHepriN5KZF4YuP8yJU7Vj8rqh%2fTkupdCzvodw%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0R.55c17135f88923873392c3b22088a514?rik=4slHay3tfx6L3A&riu=http%3a%2f%2fworkriteergo.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2019%2f03%2fmonitor-arm-header-mobile-2.jpg&ehk=6AQf%2bCHepriN5KZF4YuP8yJU7Vj8rqh%2fTkupdCzvodw%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0both of them have an ergonomic keyboard.
2dd has a laptop - and I think she's replaced her standing desk, but has always had it low enough to sit in a chair.

Oh, of course!  That makes sense!  Thanks, Kristen for this! I'm going to show this to DH in case we go this route in the future.  

14 minutes ago, sheryl said:

My chiropractor said it's important to have the screen at eye level as close as possible

My kids use this kind of monitor riser with an external keyboard. It helps to get their laptop screens to their eye level whether sitting or standing. If they want a bigger screen, they use their laptop to type but output to an external screen. 

IMG_0470.thumb.jpeg.3d3876c49c1145b1b8d9a663b682e37c.jpeg

Image source: https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics-Portable-Adjustable-Notebook/dp/B0BLRJ4R8F/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

My kids use this kind of monitor riser with an external keyboard. It helps to get their laptop screens to their eye level whether sitting or standing. If they want a bigger screen, they use their laptop to type but output to an external screen. 

IMG_0470.thumb.jpeg.3d3876c49c1145b1b8d9a663b682e37c.jpeg

Image source: https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics-Portable-Adjustable-Notebook/dp/B0BLRJ4R8F/

Thanks, Arcadia.  I had no idea that even existed.  I understand now the previous replies!   LOL!  Thanks so much.  Appreciate the pic and link!  🙂