Which gift card would you choose?

Kassia

Which gift card would you choose?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which gift card would you get?

• Amazon
    • Target
    • Ulta

Ds' fiance (from Indonesia) is coming to the US soon for her first time and will be living with ds and they are getting married soon.  We want to give her some kind of welcome gift and thought a gift card would be best so she can buy some things she needs since I don't know how much she will be bringing with her or even how much she has to bring.  We narrowed down to Amazon, Target, and Ulta.  Target and Ulta are within walking distance from where they will be living.  I was thinking she might need/want toiletries like shampoos, soaps, nail polish, skin care, etc.  and Ulta would be nice, but then Target would have all of those things plus clothing, home goods, etc.  And, of course, Amazon would have everything.  She's in her late 20s if that matters.  

If she had been coming in the winter, I would have made up a basket with stuff to keep her warm like warm socks, a blanket, gloves, plus a smaller gift card but she won't need those things for a while now.  I'll pair the gift card with some kind of treat too.  ❤️  

ETA they won't have Amazon prime if that matters

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, alisoncooks said:

Target is probably safe — and a lot of Target locations have a mini-Ulta inside, so win-win!

I forgot about that!  

ETA I checked and theirs doesn't have one, but that's okay.

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wow, thanks so much for your help!  Target seems to be the obvious choice.  I figured we can't go wrong with any, but Target would definitely be the most practical.  Their Target has groceries too.  

Edited by Kassia

Target because walking is faster than waiting for an amazon delivery. Besides Amazon returns are more restrictive in drop off locations nowadays. We used to be able to return to any Whole Foods, Kohls or UPS but our recent returns are all UPS only. Target also have Starbucks inside if she wants a treat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kassia said:

If she had been coming in the winter, I would have made up a basket with stuff to keep her warm like warm socks, a blanket, gloves, plus a smaller gift card but she won't need those things for a while now. 

Indonesia is just slightly south of the equator. To me California at 73 deg F is down parka level cold. I don’t know how warm your area is but things like a comforter, warm socks and hand warmers might come in handy.  For me, having my Yeti rambler to hold my hot coffee/water is essential to keep warm especially when winds are howling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I chose Amazon before I saw that they won't have Prime. 

My second choice isn't on your list -- I would choose something like a Visa gift card, so she could use it wherever she wants. 🙂 

Her birthday is just a few days before she'll arrive here and we are giving her cash then, so she will have that in addition to the gift card.  

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Indonesia is just slightly south of the equator. To me California at 73 deg F is down parka level cold. I don’t know how warm your area is but things like a comforter, warm socks and hand warmers might come in handy.  For me, having my Yeti rambler to hold my hot coffee/water is essential to keep warm especially when winds are howling. 

I did consider that.  She's used to very warm weather and it could still get chilly after she arrives (especially chilly for her since she's only experienced cold weather once - they went to Turkey last November and it was cold and rainy much of the time). 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I chose Amazon before I saw that they won't have Prime. 

Agree with you. I  am gifted several small $$ Amazon gift cards every year. Without Prime for free shipping  and large enough to qualify for free shipping, they are almost useless.

• Like 2

I chose Amazon kuz I can't stand Target, but given that she will want to browse for some items, I would probably give both Amazon and Target in your specific situation.

• Thanks 1

Personally, I love to get Amazon cards, and always have a long wishlist that I can choose from. However, since she will be new here and probably doesn't keep lists like that on Amazon, I voted Target. Being able to actually see and touch items would be helpful since she probably isn't familiar with the brands and quality.

• Thanks 1

If she's never been to a Target, I would think that would be great fun out of the gate.  A lot of the stuff at Ulta is at Target too.  And she could get clothes, makeup, American treats, etc.  

• Like 2

I voted Target. That said, I'd still be tempted to give a gift basket with the things you mentioned, but light. For example, light cotton fingerless gloves for in the house or a super-light throw blankie. It will be cooler than she is used to for a while yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, QueenCat said:

Ulta because then she will be getting things that are truly for her and not your son. 

I'm not worried about that at all.  I'm sure it will all be used for her.  

55 minutes ago, catz said:

If she's never been to a Target, I would think that would be great fun out of the gate.  A lot of the stuff at Ulta is at Target too.  And she could get clothes, makeup, American treats, etc.  

I think it would be fun too.  Talked to DH and we're definitely going with Target thanks to the responses here.  

48 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

I voted Target. That said, I'd still be tempted to give a gift basket with the things you mentioned, but light. For example, light cotton fingerless gloves for in the house or a super-light throw blankie. It will be cooler than she is used to for a while yet. 

I think I'll do that.  I'm pretty sure they live in the same general area that you do.  We are way up in the NE part of the state and it can still be quite chilly here, but I assume it's quite a bit warmer there.  Still, she's not used to even cool temps so it will be quite a change for her. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...