Menu

Decorating for Christmas?

lauraw4321

I have always been in the “never before Thanksgiving” camp for Christmas decorations. But this is my first Christmas after my mom’s passing and we’re going to be out of town for the week around Christmas and New Year’s and I kind of want to decorate now. 

But I am hosting Thanksgiving. Is it too weird to have Christmas up for a Thanksgiving meal?

I've done it for years. I always host Thanksgiving, and the idea of putting up all the decorations right after planning/cooking/hosting a big meal is overwhelming to me. Everyone always enjoys having the glow of the Christmas lights during the meal, so I think it's a win!

• Like 4

No, not weird at all.  Do what brings you joy!  

A friend of mine is always itching to get her tree up.  She's gone through a tough time lately and put the tree up before Halloween because it makes her happy to have it up.  Years ago, I would have affectionately teased her about it, but now I totally get it.  

• Like 3

I went through a few years of putting up at least a small tree when the Hallmark Christmas movies started around October 22nd. And I know one family who leaves one tree up year round most years, or who drag it out every time their house gets stressed because it makes them all feel more peaceful and reverent. 

• Like 1

I definitely do the house lights sometime in November as I have more days off from school. Veteran's Day works well. But I don't start turning them on yet. This year I'm planning to buy a new artificial tree sometime this month and I will just set it up when I get it and probably decorate it before T-day. This is the first year one of our dds won't be home for Christmas day (but will be here several days later I think), so I don't mind having a little Christmas stuff out early. And she can help with the decorating over T-day weekend.

• Like 1

I think it has become more common and more acceptable. I vote for do what brings you the most joy and peace.

I’m going to wait until the day after thanksgiving…however…I just made a purchase that is going up somewhere this weekend.

I’m not waiting…might be on my porch…might be inside…but this little guy is coming out now. Lol. 

IMG_9079.png

• Like 8

I am firmly in the camp of "bring joy to your life". Our time here is too precious to continue to sweat the small stuff. 

My Halloween things are staying up until TDay. I have some cute things that make me happy, and replacing it with typical harvest stuff after already having that up for the month of September won't make me joyful.

I am going to leave Yul stuff out longer this year too. All of our stuff is very woodland themed. Reindeer and snowmen in the yard can be up all winter as far as I am concerned. My Nisse collection makes me smile.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I think it has become more common and more acceptable. I vote for do what brings you the most joy and peace.

I’m going to wait until the day after thanksgiving…however…I just made a purchase that is going up somewhere this weekend.

I’m not waiting…might be on my porch…might be inside…but this little guy is coming out now. Lol. 

IMG_9079.png

He is adorable!

• Like 1

You’re hosting the meal, it’s your house. Do what works for you. If anyone doesn’t like it they can eat somewhere else on Thanksgiving.

In my family, i can imagine my Dad giving me a hard time about it, and myself telling him to go somewhere else for dinner then, but all in good fun with no one getting upset. Nobody else would comment.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lauraw4321 said:

I have always been in the “never before Thanksgiving” camp for Christmas decorations. But this is my first Christmas after my mom’s passing and we’re going to be out of town for the week around Christmas and New Year’s and I kind of want to decorate now. 

But I am hosting Thanksgiving. Is it too weird to have Christmas up for a Thanksgiving meal?

It would be a little weird, but if your guests have any manners, they won't comment, and so it doesn't matter. Under the circumstances, I would feel the same as you. (((((laura)))))

• Like 2

A friend of ours did that. She had an early American type home, and the decorations matched. I always enjoyed the cozy, warm feeling. 

BTW, I am thinking of decorating before Thanksgiving also.  I skipped the Halloween decorations, so I am more prepared to jump right in!

• Like 1

Auntie Mame did it, so you can too.  😀

"For I've grown a little leaner, grown a little colder
Grown a little sadder, grown a little older
And I need a little angel sitting on my shoulder
Need a little Christmas now.."

Edited by Quarter Note
auto-correct was not correct!
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Quarter Note said:

Auntie Mame did it, so you can too.  😀

"For I've grown a little leaner, grown a little colder
Grown a little sadder, grown a little older
And I need a little angel sitting on my shoulder
Need a little Christmas now.."

I've been humming this in my head for awhile now. I sang this in a performance in high school...