Menu

Important question about pies

Terabith

11 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

There are two types of pot pie. The ones baked in a crust with a crust top and the good kind that is noodles in the pot. So it is a pie. 

I need a recipe for this pot pie with noodles and no crust.  I am skeptical that it is a pie, but still want to taste it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Absolutely, it is pie!

I ❤️ chx pot pie! It is my kids’ favorite comfort food. I have never made savory hand-pies, but that would be a fun cooking rabbit trail to explore. 

I make lots of pumpkin pie, a good bit of quiche and apple pie, and an occasional berry or peach pie. Cherry hand pies are for July 4th and chocolate pecan pie is for Christmas in our family. 

Edited by ScoutTN

45 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

There are two types of pot pie. The ones baked in a crust with a crust top and the good kind that is noodles in the pot. So it is a pie. 

The one that has noodles in the pot is chicken & dumplings. It's a specific type of noodle, though.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

It is so much better than a regular pot pie.  Look up PA Dutch pot pie or Amish pot pie. You can make gravy as thick or as thin as you want ( team thick gravy lol). 

That looks absolutely delicious, and is going on my menu soon, but I can not figure out how that is not Amish chicken and dumplings or Amish chicken noodle soup.  

I think a crust is a defining feature of a pie.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Drama Llama said:

That looks absolutely delicious, and is going on my menu soon, but I can not figure out how that is not Amish chicken and dumplings or Amish chicken noodle soup.  

I think a crust is a defining feature of a pie.  

The noodles are thin and it is literally the pie filling basically.  Whereas dumplings are thicker and the tastes are not the same. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itsheresomewhere said:

It is so much better than a regular pot pie.  Look up PA Dutch pot pie or Amish pot pie. You can make gravy as thick or as thin as you want ( team thick gravy lol). 

Those pictures are what we call chicken & dumplings. Maybe what it's called varies by region? This is from my dh's family in the midwest. I've also seen chicken & dumplings with drop biscuits instead of the flat noodle dumplings.

• Like 2

My kids love KFC chicken pot pies if we go to KFC and they are often sold out. They also like McDonald’s apple pie. If someone said to bring a pie to a potluck end of school year party, I would be thinking the typical supermarket pie 🥧 and not the KFC or McDonald’s kind.

I’ve had two kinds of chicken pot pies, but I only accept one of them as proper, lol, even though I have also eaten and enjoyed the second kind.

A proper chicken pot pie, in my mind, has a top and a bottom crust, just like a fruit pie. Yes, the filling is heavy on gravy, but that’s not so different from some fruit pies. It’s cooked in a pie pan, which is the “pot.”

An ersatz chicken pot pie is the type that used to be served in my elementary school cafeteria. It’s made in a casserole dish, and has squares of pastry crust floating on top, for ease of serving large numbers of people. It can still be tasty, but suffers from a severe shortage of pastry.

Chicken and dumplings is delicious but not pie.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

It's a pie.  So is my Sephardi meat pie (ground lamb and/or beef, eggs, ground onions and garlic, cumin, coriander (spice), paprika, salt, pepper and chopped coriander (the herb)).

Yummo and one of the things I miss most about my family turning veg*n on me....

We might need a recipe. This sounds delicious.

• Like 1

In my world, a big old round disk of crust is the defining feature that differentiates "pie" from "casserole" or "tart" or "turnover" or "pasty" or "empanada" or "samosa" or etc. Some pies have top crust, some pies have lattice, some like pumpkin or pecan or the various Creams and Meringues are open-topped; but all pie, sweet or savory, must have a full-pie-sized bottom crust. 

Chicken pot pie is 100% pie, as is shepherd's pie. I don't think I'm familiar with any other meat pies.  @YaelAldrich , please share the lamb.

I make quiche regularly, with a (frozen!) bottom crust, and I guess by that definition quiche is pie, though I've never really thought of it as such.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Pam in CT said:

In my world, a big old round disk of crust is the defining feature that differentiates "pie" from "casserole" or "tart" or "turnover" or "pasty" or "empanada" or "samosa" or etc. Some pies have top crust, some pies have lattice, some like pumpkin or pecan or the various Creams and Meringues are open-topped; but all pie, sweet or savory, must have a full-pie-sized bottom crust. 

Chicken pot pie is 100% pie, as is shepherd's pie. I don't think I'm familiar with any other meat pies.  @YaelAldrich , please share the lamb.

I make quiche regularly, with a (frozen!) bottom crust, and I guess by that definition quiche is pie, though I've never really thought of it as such.

You put a bottom crust on your shepherd's pie?  

I love shepherd's or cottage pie, but I must admit I am now wondering if they are actually pie.  If I go with the "crust" definition, then they go in the "things we call pie that really aren't" along with Amish pot pie, and cutie-pies.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Drama Llama said:

You put a bottom crust on your shepherd's pie?  

I love shepherd's or cottage pie, but I must admit I am now wondering if they are actually pie.  If I go with the "crust" definition, then they go in the "things we call pie that really aren't" along with Amish pot pie, and cutie-pies.  

well sure otherwise it WOULDN'T BE PIE lol.

What's cottage pie?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

The recipe is basically what I said. I'm one of those annoying people who cook from sight and smell. 3 eggs, 1lb meat, heap'o'spices. Bake 375F until yummy smelling.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

The recipe is basically what I said. I'm one of those annoying people who cook from sight and smell. 3 eggs, 1lb meat, heap'o'spices. Bake 375F until yummy smelling.

In a crust shell, or more like an empanada?  

You can, at least, tell us which spices to heap in. 

1 minute ago, YaelAldrich said:

Shepherd's pie is lamb. Cottage pie is beef

Yes, in my world shepherd's pie is (ground) lamb (and potatoes, and in my mother's version carrots, and in mine sundried tomatoes, and see above: CRUST).  What's in cottage beside (ground?) beef?

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

I think pot pies aren’t pies because they’re too wet.  We eat a number of savory pies and those are solidly pie.  

It all depends on the ratio of meat, veg, and sauce as to how thick or wet they are. Also, many fruit pies are very wet. I think it’s the crust with filling that makes it a pie.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pam in CT said:

Yes, in my world shepherd's pie is (ground) lamb (and potatoes, and in my mother's version carrots, and in mine sundried tomatoes, and see above: CRUST).  What's in cottage beside (ground?) beef?

In my world, shepherd's pie is a layer of ground lamb with carrots and peas and onions and gravy, and a layer of mashed potatoes on top, maybe with some cheese, baked so the potatoes are kinda stiff like a pie crust.  Cottage pie is the exact same thing with ground beef.  I also make it with lentils instead of or mixed with meat, and with cauliflower or sweet potatoes instead of or mixed with the potatoes.  But it's always ground meaty bottom and mashed something top. 

• Like 3