Menu

Parades—more nostalgia

kbutton

More subjective nostalgia…what makes a parade a “real” parade for your area or in your mind? Parades here differ quite a bit than where I am from—lots of overlap, but they are smaller and miss some entire categories.

Some parades are single purpose, such as a pet parade or Santa parade, but I’m thinking of more general parades.

If a parade doesn’t have tractors, veterans, and BAGPIPES, it seems like it’s missing something to me. It’s just not quite a parade without men (and sometimes women) in kilts playing in a pipe band. 

What would you miss if it wasn’t in a parade?

• Like 3

Marching bands!

Our scouting organization marches in a Veterans’ Day parade every year and it is big fun! Love that the whole small town turns out to honor the Veterans! Our girls have the opportunity to speak to them personally and thank them for serving. 

Horses, tractors, and bagpipes are all there with the marching bands, “floats”, etc. Two of my favorites: the guitar instructor who fills a huge flatbed with his students and they all play together, and Billy Bob’s Tree Service with their cherry picker truck covered in bunting. 

• Like 3

There are many parades in this area with a single marching band instead of several, which always surprises me. And no bagpipes.

Sometimes they have a flyover if the parade is for Memorial Day or July 4th—I think it’s usually an honor guard vs. active duty, and sometimes it’s a single historic plane. That was new to me and very cool.

Marching bands. I live in a relatively small town and we have the "R- Fiesta" every October. It has a huge parade and then vendors and games at the park. The parade has probably half a dozen or more marching bands. Those are a necessity. Also, all the elementary schools enter floats and every fire truck in town goes down the street. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, athena1277 said:

I grew up where Mardi Gras is a big event.  If there aren’t floats and people throwing things, it’s not a parade.

Same. 

My kids were so confused the first time they went to a parade while visiting a relative, and no one was throwing anything, lol. 

19 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

For me it's marching bands. Without bands, it's not a parade, but merely a group of people walking in the same direction. 

And same. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, katilac said:

Same. 

My kids were so confused the first time they went to a parade while visiting a relative, and no one was throwing anything, lol. 

And same. 

We're not allowed to throw stuff from floats here. You have to have walkers hand it out to spectators.  

Fire trucks.  

Our subdivision was like a small town growing up. We had a 4th of July parade every single year with the biggest one being in 1976 of course!  We dressed up in costumes, decorated our bikes, etc.  But for many years I rode on top of the fire engine throwing candy to people. My parents were very involved in the volunteer fire department at that time. 

This week our grands were talking about how great the parades were where we lived in Illinois. They especially loved the Father’s Day parade because June is dairy month and the parade participants threw good stuff like cartons of chocolate milk and cheese sticks.  
What they didn’t love but definitely remember is near the end of every parade there the VietNow group walked and one person was always in shackles and rags portraying a Vietnam POW.  I appreciate their dedication to not forgetting those who didn’t come home, but it sure is a sobering way to end a parade. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Annie G said:

What they didn’t love but definitely remember is near the end of every parade there the VietNow group walked and one person was always in shackles and rags portraying a Vietnam POW.  I appreciate their dedication to not forgetting those who didn’t come home, but it sure is a sobering way to end a parade. 

My hometown parade almost always has something like this too, but it’s interspersed among happy things. Everyone stands in silence, and it’s quite moving.

They also usually have an organ donor float—that one is overall happy/thankful, but a little bittersweet. 

• Like 1