Menu

Laundry help ques

heartlikealion

I have several black t-shirts that have accumulated deodorant residue on the armpits, visible from the outside of the shirt. Is it too late (they’ve been laundered many times) to fix this?? Although I primarily wear clear deodorant, this residue causes these white stains. 

I’ve already tried a baking soda/water paste with toothbrush scrub. 
Hydrogen peroxide/water mix 

Rubbing alcohol 

do I need to use a wire brush or something? Any other ideas?? 

Is it residue or is the material bleached? Years ago I used a (gentle) brand that bleached all my shirts; I switched brands and have never had the problem again.

If it's actual residue, I would think it might be a wax or oil buildup of some kind? So maybe try something like a degreaser to dissolve it? No idea why it would show through the other side of the material though.

• Like 1

I use Dawn and borax, but it has only worked when the stains haven't been too bad. Some of my husband's shirts got really bad (neither of us paid attention to them till one day he raised his arm and I caught sight of the big white area and was horrified) and no matter what I did, it didn't come out. So now when I do the laundry, I check the shirts and if I see the slightest bit of residue, I treat it with dawn/borax. I brush it on with an old toothbrush. 

The old shirts are now house/yard work shirts, not to be worn beyond the limits of our property. But treating it early has saved newer shirts from the same fate.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Is it residue or is the material bleached? Years ago I used a (gentle) brand that bleached all my shirts; I switched brands and have never had the problem again.

If it's actual residue, I would think it might be a wax or oil buildup of some kind? So maybe try something like a degreaser to dissolve it? No idea why it would show through the other side of the material though.

Right! I guess it just happens. 
my landlords left town for a wedding and left the thermostat on “off” but I’ve been running the a/c. I’m always hot. 

My DH used to have this problem. I never really solved the issue of getting stains out.

However going forward, switch to an aluminum free deodorant. It is the aluminum salt in the deodorant  causing the buildup. We discovered it purely by accident when he switched to Tom’s of Maine AF deo.
DH never has stains now. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, KatieJ said:

My DH used to have this problem. I never really solved the issue of getting stains out.

However going forward, switch to an aluminum free deodorant. It is the aluminum salt in the deodorant  causing the buildup. We discovered it purely by accident when he switched to Tom’s of Maine AF deo.
DH never has stains now. 

I’ve tried several aluminum-free ones over the years but they never made me feel clean. And one gave me a terrible rash. I’ve tried Tom’s, Lume, Schmidt’s, Native. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KatieJ said:

DH never has stains now. 

I switched to Tom's s after my other deodorant bleached my shirts too. No more problems.

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Clemsondana said:

You can buy a deodorant eraser - my kid uses the Spa Sisters one from Amazon for a black karate uniform shirt. 

I’m worried it’s beyond that. This is old, resistant build up. I’m not sure how those sponges work exactly. 

Edited by heartlikealion

Have you tried a stain remover like Zout? I found an old black shirt in the same condition last week. I put Zout on it, wadded it up to keep it damp, and left it overnight. Washed the next day and it was gone.  

I can't use Secret Clinical brand deodorant. For some reason that brand leaves the residue for me, but not Dove Clinical.  I also use Mitcham unscented gel and I don't have the problem with that one either. 

19 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I have tried several things and no luck. Today I bought an aluminum-free deodorant which hopefully helps with other clothing. The brand name is Crystal.

I think I’ll have to retire those tops or refashion into tanks or decorative pillows or something.

If dawn or soaking the stain with Tide doesn't work, could you dye the shirt black again?

4 hours ago, Tap said:

Have you tried a stain remover like Zout? I found an old black shirt in the same condition last week. I put Zout on it, wadded it up to keep it damp, and left it overnight. Washed the next day and it was gone.  

I can't use Secret Clinical brand deodorant. For some reason that brand leaves the residue for me, but not Dove Clinical.  I also use Mitcham unscented gel and I don't have the problem with that one either. 

I’ve used Mitchem off and on and figured it caused the build up even though it applies clear. But the stains could be from a different deodorant in the past. 

I haven’t tried zout. I may have tried Shout? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

If dawn or soaking the stain with Tide doesn't work, could you dye the shirt black again?

I dunno. But I want to get rid of the thick junk layer too. I could try the dye idea, but it may or may not match lol 

yeah I tried dawn and scrubbing with a toothbrush and even wire brush. I tried 2 types of salt. Tried baking soda once. Nothing helped. 

Edited by heartlikealion

7 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Have you gone down the laundry stripping rabbit hole? Search on YouTube and there will be a ton of hits. 

I did everything that came up for removing deodorant stains from black clothes lol 

and this new deodorant was a waste of $8. No odor protection lol. I hate all the aluminum-free ones. 

20 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I’ve used Mitchem off and on and figured it caused the build up even though it applies clear. 

11 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I did everything that came up for removing deodorant stains from black clothes lol 

and this new deodorant was a waste of $8. No odor protection lol. I hate all the aluminum-free ones. 

Mitchum is the only deodorant that works for me, conventional or otherwise. I’ve not had the clear do that to shirts so far, but it does make the side panels of my bras turn gray.

I heard on the WTM forums about using milk of magnesia for deodorant, and I use that now vs. Mitchum, though I will probably use Mitchum on and off for convenience and because it lasts so long.

MoM can be flakey and chalky, but it doesn’t seem to stain. You just have to pay attention when you put it on and give it a minute to dry. I pour a little at a time in a small travel jar, and it thickens up. Once a bottle is open, it slowly thickens, so when I am nearly finished, I open a new bottle to let it start thickening.

I don't know what to use once a persistent stain is there, but I have noticed that we no longer get deodorant stains on our shirts at all since I started using homemade laundry detergent.  My homemade detergent is made of borax, super washing soda, and Fels-Naptha laundry soap bars; I don't know which of those made the difference.

Edited by Condessa

18 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Laundry stripping might be worth a shot. You do this with clothes/linens that have already been laundered to remove built up residue. You fill a bathtub 1/2 full of hot water and add 1/4 cup of Borax, 1/2 cup washing soda, and 1/2 cup laundry detergent.  Let this dissolve and add your clothes. Allow them to soak at least 5 hours, then wash/dry as normal. You’ll be surprised what comes out of ‘clean’ clothes. 

I shortcut this whole operation by doing it all in a top loading machine. It’s a little addictive. Once you see a load of clean white towels turn the water gray after soaking you vow to add occasional  laundry stripping to your routine. 

• Like 2

I was going to suggest the laundry stripping idea, too. 

Also, look into Lume deodorant. I haven’t noticed it staining anything. I’ve been using it for a few years. It definitely prevents/controls odor. But it is not an antiperspirant, so…that’s the only drawback for me. 

20 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

shortcut this whole operation by doing it all in a top loading machine. It’s a little addictive. Once you see a load of clean white towels turn the water gray after soaking you vow to add occasional  laundry stripping to your routine. 

I acquired an electric wringer washer—an old one. Ditto to this process. So gross! My parents’ front loader seems to clean better than mine, but they have one with many more finely tuned options, such as extra rinses.

I don’t know if I’ll ever put another set of sheets in the front loader ever except to rinse and spin. A lot of my laundry now gets a pre-wash if nothing else.

On 1/10/2024 at 6:51 PM, popmom said:

I was going to suggest the laundry stripping idea, too. 

Also, look into Lume deodorant. I haven’t noticed it staining anything. I’ve been using it for a few years. It definitely prevents/controls odor. But it is not an antiperspirant, so…that’s the only drawback for me. 

I used it before they changed their formula. Smelled like stinky feet!! I smelled worse after using it. I have never had success with any natural deodorants. Just wasted money and once got a rash! 

• Sad 1

With hard to get-rid-of bodily stains like sweat, body oil, etc., I soak laundry in a tub of hot water overnight with Oxiclean stain remover powder, usually a full cup in a tub of hot water that just covers clothing.  Stir it around a bit before letting it settle for the night.  Throw it all into the wash the next day.  You don't need to rinse it first.   I currently live in an apartment building so I drain the water as best as I can and throw it all into a plastic garbage bag and bring it to the laundry in the morning. 

Or, if you have your own washing machine, you can soak it in the washing machine overnight with the Oxiclean, and then add detergent the next day and put it through the wash cycle.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Re: stripping 

I’ll look into borax and the tub idea. 
I don’t have a washer at home now. I’ve been having to use the laundromat and the cheapest wash load is $3.50? And none of the local laundromats have top loaders. 

Laundry has been a real pain lately. 

If you lived close to me I’d totally let you come do your wash at my house. And we could chat while we folded!

• Haha 1

Well now I gotta figure out what to buy 

oxiclean? 
washing soda?

borax? 

I did buy and use the Fels-Naptha laundry bar several weeks ago, too. 

Today I’m wearing one of the tops with an unzipped hoodie. Lol 

I don’t want to get my hopes up but supposedly a guy is gonna buy my old washer/dryer this weekend. It’s in storage and I can’t use it in my rental because it won’t fit. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I’m laughing because chatting while folding makes the chore sound fun. 

It actually is. My 22 yo lives in an apartment with no laundry facilities and she washes at my house and we both fold. It’s kinda nice. I’ve had friends who were swamped with laundry and I’d come help them fold and it was fun.

• Like 1

If you’re stuck with borax and washing soda, take heart. These products are useful. They’re both laundry boosters, but borax is how I deal with any seasonal ant invasions without spraying bug spray in my kitchen. It’s an ingredient I always have in the house. 

15 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

If you’re stuck with borax and washing soda, take heart. These products are useful. They’re both laundry boosters, but borax is how I deal with any seasonal ant invasions without spraying bug spray in my kitchen. It’s an ingredient I always have in the house. 

I bought oxiclean and Zout. I think both contain borax. 

Buyer backed out. Wasn’t able to sell my washer/dryer in storage 

• Sad 1