Menu

What is a speakeasy?

Drama Llama

27 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Atmosphere, I am guessing?  Like “evokes the ethos of a historical speakeasy through music and decor?”

27 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I think of it as an upscale bar. 

This would be my guess - with higher drink prices than your Average Joe’s bar. 

If it’s some sort of pop-up, like we see around here for short term runs at various holidays, it could be heavily thematic. 

10 minutes ago, katilac said:

Pretention. 

Hilarious!  This is what I would assume.  It's marketing to evoke a vibe.   There are a few similar vibe places in our city.  What I can say about the ones here is that some are really in a historic space that does have some history leading back to prohibition.  And some are actually doing distilling on site.  Kind of like a beer tap room for fancy high brow liquor.  

I was surprised how many places pop up when I google this for our area actually!  Looks all pretty hipster upscale.  

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Atmosphere, I am guessing?  Like “evokes the ethos of a historical speakeasy through music and decor?”

Pretty much. We have one in our town, sort of. It's the basement bar of what used to be a restaurant, then it sold and became a bar but they left the speakeasy in the basement. It's a historical building which is pretty much every building in our downtown. 

There are some in the neighboring city that have unmarked entraces or where you need reservations/password to get in. 

There was one in a town I used to live in. You had to already know it was a bar to figure out what it was from the outside. It looked like a tiny used bookstore with strange & late hours. But go through the door and it was actually a bar with tons of bookshelves, leather bound books, low leather chairs, tiny bistro tables… it basically looked like a 1930’s club. It had really good cognac and extremely good coffee. 

• Like 4

The ones in our town are semi-hidden. Like they have websites and social media but you can't see them from the street. The one I go ro is a themed one (they've done star wars, wonderland, harry potter and are currently doing lord of the rings, i know Nightmare Before Christmas is up next... they decorate and change the atmosphere and menu to keep with the theme) . It's in  a sort of hidden room off a main restaurant and there's no signage for it. Similarly there are a couple in our downtown area that are down a staircase or out the back of something. 

• Like 3

Oh! Now that you are all mentioning the hidden aspect, I remember! I follow Instagram tourist board pages for a couple of the major cities we visit regularly, and it’s the hidden aspect that seems to be what’s common for “speakeasy” bars. Like in the back of grocery stores, book shops, where you wouldn’t expect to open a hidden door and walk into a secret bar. In that way, I think it’s kind of a fun concept. 

• Like 4

In my town, there is a speakeasy, but it's not advertised. The only way to access it is through an ice cream shop. Inside the ice cream shop is a Coca-Cola vending machine, or what looks like one. It is actually the door to the speakeasy. You open the door by a unique code and make your way through a dark hallway into the bar.

• Like 1

The modern day speakeasies that I’ve heard of usually involve some sort of secret entrance. You might know that the entrances there, and it might even be advertised, but they try to make it look secretive. It’s kind of their gimmick, and I actually think it’s kind of cool, and would like to visit one eventually.

Maybe old-fashioned cocktails are served there.  One of my sisters is so interested in old-fashioned cocktails recently, or in the past 5 years or so I guess.  I think it’s trendy but a trend I only know about from her.  

Edit:  I did try a French 75 and I liked it!  I think it’s part of this trend, or maybe not and I had just not heard of it before.  

Edited by Lecka