Menu

September 2023: What are you reading?

Vintage81

Happy September! 🍁

I really hope fall is coming soon…it’s my favorite season! The temperatures have finally dipped below 100, but it’s still hot as heck outside. 😩 We also need rain so badly. 🙏

I’m in a bit of a reading slump. 🫤 Not sure why since I did pretty good in August. Oh well…maybe things will pick back up soon. 

I hope all of you are doing well and reading some great books! ☺️

• Like 4

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband is reading a series that I love, so I'm listening to the audiobooks at the same time so we can talk about them.  It's been really fun so far.   Its an urban fantasy series called the Dresden Files. I'm hoping we'll finish the series just in time for a new book to be released. This month we should finish up book 8 and probably 9. 

• Like 5

I just finished a reread of a favorite science fiction book ~   Stray (Touchstone Book 1) bAndrea K. Höst. It is permanently free for Kindle readers. (FIC 82, RR 34, NF 8, NS 21, GN 2, PIC 1//)

"On her last day of high school, Cassandra Devlin walked out of exams and into a forest. Surrounded by the wrong sort of trees, and animals never featured in any nature documentary, Cass is only sure of one thing: alone, she will be lucky to survive.

The sprawl of abandoned blockish buildings Cass discovers offers her only more puzzles. Where are the people? What is the intoxicating mist which drifts off the buildings in the moonlight? And why does she feel like she's being watched?

Increasingly unnerved, Cass is overjoyed at the arrival of the formidable Setari. Whisked to a world as technologically advanced as the first was primitive, where nanotech computers are grown inside people's skulls, and few have any interest in venturing outside the enormous whitestone cities, Cass finds herself processed as a 'stray', a refugee displaced by the gates torn between worlds. Struggling with an unfamiliar language and culture, she must adapt to virtual classrooms, friends who can teleport, and the ingrained attitude that strays are backward and slow.

Can Cass ever find her way home? And after the people of her new world discover her unexpected value, will they be willing to let her leave?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

My distant book group will soon be discussing ~ A Town Called Solace by Mary Lawson. I quite enjoyed this book and would happily read more by the author. The story, set in a small town in Canada, is told by three characters: an elderly woman who is in the hospital, her seven year old neighbor who has been tasked with feeding her cat (said child's teenage sister has run away from home), and a newly divorced man (with a childhood connection to the woman) who has been given the house. (FIC 83, RR 34, NF 8, NS 21, GN 2, PIC 1///)

"A Town Called Solace, the brilliant and emotionally radiant new novel from Mary Lawson, her first in nearly a decade, opens on a family in crisis. Sixteen-year-old Rose is missing. Angry and rebellious, she had a row with her mother, stormed out of the house and simply disappeared. Left behind is seven-year-old Clara, Rose’s adoring little sister. Isolated by her parents’ efforts to protect her from the truth, Clara is bewildered and distraught. Her sole comfort is Moses, the cat next door, whom she is looking after for his elderly owner, Mrs. Orchard, who went into hospital weeks ago and has still not returned.

Enter Liam Kane, mid-thirties, newly divorced, newly unemployed, newly arrived in this small northern town, who moves into Mrs. Orchard’s house—where, in Clara’s view, he emphatically does not belong. Within a matter of hours he receives a visit from the police. It seems he is suspected of a crime.

At the end of her life, Elizabeth Orchard is also thinking about a crime, one committed thirty years previously that had tragic consequences for two families, and in particular for one small child. She desperately wants to make amends before she dies."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I can't remember when I last checked in.  I read a bunch of books I either didn't like or was just meh about.  The most recent were Poverty by America, which was ok - there were definitely some issues I hadn't thought of before so I was glad I read it, but I was bored through a lot of it too and wasn't sure about the author's presentation either - and What's Eating Us: Women, Food, and the Epidemic of Body Anxiety, which was good but I've read so many books on the subject that there was nothing new in it for me.  

Then I read All the Colors Came Out: A Father, a Daughter, and a Lifetime of Lessons.  This memoir broke my heart.  It was written by a daughter whose father died of ALS.  I cried at the end and reread parts of it and cried all over again.  

Now I'm reading Everybody Fights: So Why Not Get Better at It? by Kim Holderness of The Holderness Family.  I'm not a fighter, but I just discovered The Holderness Family and thought it would be fun to read this book.  I just started it and it's better than I expected so far.  

• Like 4

A Field Guide to Lies, by Levitin. Really good, and a fairly easy read. I'm thinking of assigning it.

A Field Guide to Lies: Critical Thinking with Statistics and the Scientific Method https://a.co/d/23tQ4xQ

From Strength to Strength. On transitioning through life/career phases. Interesting, thought-provoking, and just a tad preachy. A very unconsciously masculine perspective. 

From Strength to Strength: Finding Success, Happiness, and Deep Purpose in the Second Half of Life https://a.co/d/iy7vMMw

• Like 4

I didn’t read a lot in August. I read A Good Goodbye and Neither Complementarian nor Egalitarian. This month my goal is to finally read Jesus and John Wayne. My current twaddle reading is Smoke, which isn’t engaging at this point. I may switch it out for something else. 

• Like 5

On 9/1/2023 at 6:15 PM, Kareni said:

My distant book group will soon be discussing ~ A Town Called Solace by Mary Lawson. I quite enjoyed this book and would happily read more by the author. The story, set in a small town in Canada, is told by three characters: an elderly woman who is in the hospital, her seven year old neighbor who has been tasked with feeding her cat (said child's teenage sister has run away from home), and a newly divorced man (with a childhood connection to the woman) who has been given the house. (FIC 83, RR 34, NF 8, NS 21, GN 2, PIC 1///)

"A Town Called Solace, the brilliant and emotionally radiant new novel from Mary Lawson, her first in nearly a decade, opens on a family in crisis. Sixteen-year-old Rose is missing. Angry and rebellious, she had a row with her mother, stormed out of the house and simply disappeared. Left behind is seven-year-old Clara, Rose’s adoring little sister. Isolated by her parents’ efforts to protect her from the truth, Clara is bewildered and distraught. Her sole comfort is Moses, the cat next door, whom she is looking after for his elderly owner, Mrs. Orchard, who went into hospital weeks ago and has still not returned.

Enter Liam Kane, mid-thirties, newly divorced, newly unemployed, newly arrived in this small northern town, who moves into Mrs. Orchard’s house—where, in Clara’s view, he emphatically does not belong. Within a matter of hours he receives a visit from the police. It seems he is suspected of a crime.

At the end of her life, Elizabeth Orchard is also thinking about a crime, one committed thirty years previously that had tragic consequences for two families, and in particular for one small child. She desperately wants to make amends before she dies."

Regards,

Kareni

This sounds really good. I’m putting this on my Libby list. 

• Like 3

I've been reading the Ilona Andrews series, Magic ______. A series like this reminds of the feeling when you cut open the corner of a bag of Halloween candy and then try to limit yourself to one a day.

For bedtime story I'm reading Oedipus the King/Antigone with my high school first year.

• Like 5

Battle Royal by Lucy Parker. @Kareni mentioned the second book in this series in last month's thread. Very fluffy and sweet, which was exactly what I was looking for. Now to wait the 9 weeks until my hold on the next book comes in. I suspect you don't have to read these in order, by the way.

Be Your Own Medical Intuitive: Healing Your Body and Soul by Tina M. Zion. I heard the author on a podcast, have a compulsion to read weird books about healing and metaphysics, and thus plunged in. Either this one was better than many of them, or I've developed my capacity to read this sort of thing (I'm fascinated by the metaphors people use to explain their experience, and how those metaphors relate to culture and perceived reality). On one hand, I now know how to DIY a soul retrieval, but on the other hand, I've never felt a need to do that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just finished a streak of short murder mysteries by a local author, which were fun. In progress/next up:

Go As a River, Shelley Read

The Ballot and the Bible: How Scripture Has Been Used & Abused in American Politics and Where We Go From Here, Kaitlyn Schiess

On Getting Out of Bed: The Burden and Gift of Living, Alan Noble

And the short autobiography of one of my book club member’s dh. Hope to get through all these before September ends, plus more if I’m able to keep reading apace.

17 hours ago, Kareni said:

@TechWife, I hope you'll enjoy A Town Called Solace when you get a copy.

@Ottakee, my daughter, who lives in South Korea, sent my husband a sheet of stamps. Since you just finished The Music of Bees, perhaps you'll appreciate these ~

20230905_170547.thumb.jpg.7359f0a238e56eabf7983be9a81e781b.jpg

Regards,

Kareni

❤️❤️❤️ beautiful!

20 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I just finished this book.  Really enjoyed it.  

IMG_4722.jpeg

This cover art is so pretty! Putting it on my TBR list, thanks. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Still wading through, "The Creative Vegetable Gardener". I keep stopping to take notes. Then I will need to finish my micro farming book whose name I don't even remember, LOL! I want to read something for pure entertainment after that, but not sure what. 

The way you’ve been going on the gardening thread has me expecting pictures of your soon-to-be indoor hydroponics setup so you can keep on right through winter!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grace Hopper said:

The way you’ve been going on the gardening thread has me expecting pictures of your soon-to-be indoor hydroponics setup so you can keep on right through winter!

😂😂😂😂😂 Nope! I am not ready for anything crazy like that.

I don't want to think about hydroponics. That sounds complicated to me. I am after all just emerging from my serial plant murderer stage of life. .😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

😂😂😂😂😂 Nope! I am not ready for anything crazy like that.

I don't want to think about hydroponics. That sounds complicated to me. I am after all just emerging from my serial plant murderer stage of life. .😁

Ok, but if you change your mind, I did a small kit last year and it was easy!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

We might need a book recommendation on this topic 😁

I liked the projects in : Home hydroponics : small-space DIY growing systems : for the kitchen, dining room, living room, bedroom, and bath, Baras, Tyler. (2021)

I also read through Hydroponics for beginners : your complete guide to growing food without soil, Harms, Jeree. (2022)

Hm, looks like they have some new ones...

But really, I bought a kit on Amazon and just took a stab at it. Lettuce worked, spinach never really took off. I'm planning to try again this year. With only three of us (and a rabbit) at home this year it seems like it might be useful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/4/2023 at 2:32 PM, 4kidlets4me said:

I finished another lackluster book, Cultish: The Language of Fanaticism by Amanda Montell. This read like a Buzzfeed article made into a book. The worst part about it was the end which she basically says cults are fine as long as you keep your wits about you. What?? 2 stars.

I read this one.  I wondered about the conflating of "cultish" things (i.e. MLMs and gyms, among other things) with actual religious cults.  I understood her point but feel that it's a gloss of something that's quite important. 

• Like 4

On 9/4/2023 at 4:42 PM, Kassia said:

Now I'm reading Everybody Fights: So Why Not Get Better at It? by Kim Holderness of The Holderness Family.  I'm not a fighter, but I just discovered The Holderness Family and thought it would be fun to read this book.  I just started it and it's better than I expected so far.  

I just finished this book and ended up liking it very much.  It had a lot of good suggestions for communication, which I'm not good about.  I just have to work to apply what I learned instead of forgetting everything once I've closed the book.  There were also some good discussions about feelings that were interesting to me. 

• Like 3

The Madonna Secret: A Novel by Sophie Strand. Author took primary documents from first century Palestine -- "canonical, gnostic, and apocryphal," shook them up, and came up with a different viewpoint. Miriam tells us about her early life, especially the part with Yeshua. Trigger warning if you need Jesus to be portrayed as a bachelor rabbi who was Lord God. Also, the author never misses a chance to mention the 2000 crucified due to the uprising of Judas of Galilee about 30 years earlier (but she's never as graphic as, say, 2 Maccabees 7, which we Protestants are blissfully unaware of). I really liked parts of this; other parts I thought were sort of dumb. But it did make me think.

Unwitting Mystic by Mary Reed. I randomly found this on my Kindle, having forgotten about it. Lovely book about some of the author's mystical experiences. Really a bad choice to read concurrently with the above novel as it highlighted how fraught and angsty the novelist's descriptions of otherworldly events sounded. This book probably makes more sense it you already read about NDEs and OOBEs and whatnot. I'm over here aligning it with what I've read about Simulation Theory. (Also, I've decided to start reporting in on some of the weirder books I read.)

• Like 4

I got hooked on a scifi series by Joel Shepherd (Australian author), the first of which is Renegade (Spiral Wars series). I am enjoying all the different aliens/cultures and their interactions with different types of AI-tech and AI attitudes. Fairly thoughtful military sci fi....they're all out for the benefit of their own species, more or less.

After that it will be back to my library list, which includes Portrait of a Scotsman by Evie Dunmore. From military sci fi to regency romance!

DH is still job hunting (now since mid-June) and we are praying something comes through soon!!

• Like 3

Just finished Lady Tan's Circle of Women by Lisa See.  It's a solid 4 🌟read for me.  I enjoy historical fiction a lot, especially when it's set in a time or place unfamiliar to me.  This one is set in China in roughly the 1400s, with women's health and medicine as its major theme.  I need to go back and read See's backlist since the only other novel by her I've read is Island of the Sea Women, which I LOVED. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

DH is still job hunting (now since mid-June) and we are praying something comes through soon!!

Good luck!  Hope he finds a great fit.  

11 hours ago, Kidlit said:

I need to go back and read See's backlist since the only other novel by her I've read is Island of the Sea Women, which I LOVED. 

I loved it too and need to read more books written by her.  

• Like 4

I haven't checked in for a while. Still enjoy seeing what everyone's reading!

I had a binge read on 2 British police procedural series: Peter Grainger's "King's Lake" series and his "DC Smith" series.  I actually ran out of steam after the next-to-last DC Smith book. (I read "King's Lake" first, though chronologically most of it comes after "DC Smith." I liked King's Lake best.) They were mostly quite good; very detailed and as far as I could tell, captured much of the life of a police detective. I came to know and like most of the characters.  I listened to them via Hoopla; they are also available on Kindle. 

After that I read Sylvester by Georgette Heyer. Such a sweet, fun, regency romance. Completely predictable which I find lovely and comforting. 

At my husband's request, I read Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents by Lindsay C Gibson. He has some issues and wanted to talk through some of it with me. I don't have any unresolved issues with my own parents, but I think it would be helpful to people experiencing difficulties with their relationship with their folks.  

I have several nonfiction books out from the library but as usual, I tend toward easy fiction and those are left unread. I am spending some time in The Golden Thread: How Fabric Changed History by Kassia St Clair but probably won't finish it before it's due back. 

Just arrived via Libby:  The Whispers by Ashley Audrain which is a domestic suspense (?) novel, I listened to the sample and it sounds good, plus the voice is good which is super important in an audiobook! 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Kidlit said:

Just finished Lady Tan's Circle of Women by Lisa See.  It's a solid 4 🌟read for me.  I enjoy historical fiction a lot, especially when it's set in a time or place unfamiliar to me.  This one is set in China in roughly the 1400s, with women's health and medicine as its major theme.  

This was my choice for Book of the Month this month, and it just arrived a few days ago. I’m excited to get to it!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, El... said:

I just read The Historian (Kostove) and 'Salem's Lot (King).

Why? Hard to say. A mood. The first was really well written and interested. The second was Stephen King. 😝

Oh, I'd just read World War Z, thats why; I was on a monster kick. 

Salem’s Lot was the first King I ever read. I think I was in middle school when I read it. I still have a vivid memory of being bolt awake in the middle of the night, imagining something scratching at my window, wanting to ask for an invitation to come in. 

14 hours ago, Kidlit said:

Just finished Lady Tan's Circle of Women by Lisa See.  It's a solid 4 🌟read for me.  I enjoy historical fiction a lot, especially when it's set in a time or place unfamiliar to me.  This one is set in China in roughly the 1400s, with women's health and medicine as its major theme.  I need to go back and read See's backlist since the only other novel by her I've read is Island of the Sea Women, which I LOVED. 

Thanks, I just put Island of the Sea Women on my library list. Sounds fascinating!

• Like 4

Today I read in its entirety Once Upon a Tome: The Misadventures of a Rare Bookseller by Oliver Darkshire; it was a pleasant way to spend a few hours.

"Welcome to Sotheran’s, one of the oldest bookshops in the world, with its weird and wonderful clientele, suspicious cupboards, unlabeled keys, poisoned books, and some things that aren’t even books, presided over by one deeply eccentric apprentice.

Some years ago, Oliver Darkshire stepped into the hushed interior of Henry Sotheran Ltd (est. 1761) to apply for a job. Allured by the smell of old books and the temptation of a management-approved afternoon nap, Darkshire was soon unteetering stacks of first editions and placating the store’s resident ghost (the late Mr. Sotheran, hit by a tram).

A novice in this ancient, potentially haunted establishment, Darkshire describes Sotheran’s brushes with history (Dickens, the Titanic), its joyous disorganization, and the unspoken rules of its gleefully old-fashioned staff, whose mere glance may cause the computer to burst into flames. As Darkshire gains confidence and experience, he shares trivia about ancient editions and explores the strange space that books occupy in our lives—where old books often have strong sentimental value, but rarely a commercial one.

By turns unhinged and earnest, Once Upon a Tome is the colorful story of life in one of the world’s oldest bookshops and a love letter to the benign, unruly world of antiquarian bookselling, where to be uncommon or strange is the best possible compliment."

(FIC 83, RR 39, NF 9, NS 21, GN 2, PIC 1//)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I finished two books recently...

My Antonia by Willa Cather - This was the second book in the American Literature study DD and I are doing. I struggled with the first half of this book. I appreciated the vivid descriptions the author used, but the plot was a little boring. I was glad things started to pick up at the end. I just didn't connect with this one, but I still appreciated the writing. (3.5 stars)

The Island of Missing Trees by Elif Shafak - This was our book club's selection for this month. This is a multiple timeline and multiple (sort-of) POV about a couple from the island of Cyprus. They had a forbidden love because Kostas is Greek and Defne is Turkish. I wasn't really too familiar with the conflict in Cyprus, so it was interesting to learn a little bit about that. While the book does mention the conflict/tensions between Greeks and Turks, it's not really the main focus. This book actually tries to bring in lots of topics, which was kind of my issue with it...I wish it would have focused more on the history. The multiple POV comes into play when we get to hear the thoughts of a fig tree....which was weird. I recently read Remarkably Bright Creatures and getting the perspective of the octopus was strange at first, but it was much better than this. This was just strange. (3 stars) 

• Like 3

I read two Frank McCourt memoirs last month (Angela’s Ashes followed by ‘Tis). Loved them both, but I need a break from his voice before deciding whether to read his third one. 

I’m very close to finishing The Secret Garden from the “How have I never read this book???” shelf. 

• Like 3

I finished two more disappointing non-fiction books.

Generations by Jean Twenge. I already knew I was going to hate this one since I couldn't stand her other generations book but I saw this at the library and figured I'd give her another chance. I shouldn't of wasted me time. 1 star.

Fast Like a Girl by Mindy Pelz. This one was better but still not great. A third of the book is recipes which is weird in a book about fasting. The rest of it is the same info as her podcast. There is so much repetition you can tell she was trying to make what could have been an article into a book. 2 stars. 

I'm going to pick out some spooky fiction for fall reading since these non-fiction books have been terrible lately.

• Like 2

I got so busy with the summer, that I haven't posted since July 🙂 Here's what I've been reading!

May Morris: Arts and Crafts Designer- Jenny Lister. I really enjoyed this book! I love the Arts and Crafts style and I embroider, so this was right up my alley. The Cranbrook Institute, which is driving distance for me, owns a bed hanging by May Morris, but when I contacted them, I learned it is not currently on display. Very disappointing!

The Madman's Gallery- Edward Brooke-Hitching. Not great. Fine. It is a curation of bizarre or unusual works of art. I finished it, but meh.

American Photographs- Walker Evans. I enjoy looking at historic pictures, so this was nice for me to look through.

Aesop's Fables for Children- I've read this to all my kids, but my current 7 year old just loved it so much that I enjoyed it that much more as well.

After Dark, Illusion Town, Guild Boss, Sweetwater and the Witch-  Jayne Castle. I started this sci-fi romance series and I love it! They all occur in the same alien world, but in different cities and with loosely related characters. So far the writing is better in the later books, as the first one is a little precious with its gimmick (humans can use amber to focus their paranormal senses) and it can get irritating. I really like the world and I like the romances. They aren't great literature, but they are very fun.

Storm in the Village- Miss Read. Another in the Fairacre series. Cozy and pleasant.

Uncle Eric Talks About Personal, Career, and Financial Security- Richard Maybury. I read this aloud to my 8th grader and he liked it. I liked it, too, to a point, but I also had to head off some libertarian viewpoints that I don't agree with. And the world has changed quite a bit in the last 20 years since it was written. DS and I had some great conversation about entrepreneurship, which the author highly prizes, but which our extended family has not had success with.

The Dress Diary- Kate Strasdin. I follow the author on social media, so was looking forward to reading this book. The author has a dress diary, a diary of fabric swatches collected by a woman in Victorian times. I appreciate the look into women's lives that is often ignored in history (and for which we don't have an abundance of resources)

Restoration Appreciation-  John Nugent, ed. This is one of the textbooks for a class I adjunct, so I reread before teaching it again. It's a collection of essays that might be interesting to you if you are part of the Independent Christian Churches/ Churches of Christ.

The Blonde Identity- Ally Carter. YA spy romance. Fun and whimsical, with much better writing than I anticipated.

Random Acts of Medicine- Anupam Jena. Studies on how chance circumstances can affect your medical care. I guess the book is based on a podcast. I am going to try to listen to the podcast, as I suspect that it might be better than the book. Not that the book was bad!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Hyacinth said:

I read two Frank McCourt memoirs last month (Angela’s Ashes followed by ‘Tis). Loved them both, but I need a break from his voice before deciding whether to read his third one. 

I’m very close to finishing The Secret Garden from the “How have I never read this book???” shelf. 

😬

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

My bookclub read The Southern Bookclub’s Guide to Slaying Vampires. I thought it would be funny or quaint but not was crazy. That book had no brakes at all.  No sexy or sparkly Vampires here. It was intense. 

We read this book for my book club not last year, but the year before. I think I may have been the only person to have really liked it! 🤣

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

My bookclub read The Southern Bookclub’s Guide to Slaying Vampires. I thought it would be funny or quaint but not was crazy. That book had no brakes at all.  No sexy or sparkly Vampires here. It was intense. 

I loved that book, and all of his other books as well. My Best Friend's Exorcism is probably my favorite. I'm saving his newest one for later this year.

• Like 2