Menu

First high school football game this week. . .

Kidlit

5 minutes ago, SKL said:

LOL it's fun though!

Don't worry, in a couple months you will be freezing in the bleachers (or at least I will).

It often doesn't actually feel freezing here until Jan/Feb, so it's the spring sports that are miserably cold. 

Nobody in my house plays football, but we do play percussion in the band.  None of my youngers is high school age yet, so we just have a couple of middle school pep band appearances, and hopefully the awful heat will have broken by then. 

3 minutes ago, Kidlit said:

It often doesn't actually feel freezing here until Jan/Feb, so it's the spring sports that are miserably cold. 

Nobody in my house plays football, but we do play percussion in the band.  None of my youngers is high school age yet, so we just have a couple of middle school pep band appearances, and hopefully the awful heat will have broken by then. 

My kids are in marching band - 4th year now.

I think I went to all of the home games and other events in their 1st year.  That decreased over time.  Now that they can drive, I may sit out a lot of the season.  (But I do look forward to seeing this year's band dance.)

• Like 2

I agree.

Also, let me just say that these kinds of temps, and especially if there is any significant humidity present, are not good for the instruments of the band, either. I once played in 100 degree weather for an outdoor concert, and by the time the concert was halfway through, we had adjusted our instruments as far as we could, and could no longer keep them in tune. I spent a LOT of time trying to get moisture out of my flute and piccolo. The pads were drenched. And of course any wind instrument is already experiencing spit/breath moisture on top of it. There was no wind circulating. Beyond miserable! And folks who came to the concert started leaving by the half because it wasn't comfortable for them either. They were at least spared the 2nd half which was the out of tune ear damaging mess.

Of course, I think high school football is absolutely stupid. My high school had a rule that if you wanted to play in orchestra or concert band and were woodwind, brass, or percussion, you had to be in marching band as well. That was when I knew that I made grievous error in not choosing cello! It was a great relief to drop music in high school because I was full time dual enrolled in college. The college I was at did not require us to play in marching band. Oh the joy!!

As for the football players, 100 outside and all of their padding, tapping, etc. this is dangerous. They can't cool themselves properly from evaporation because the uniforms and protective gear will hold the sweat close to their skin. That is fine when it is 50 outside and fall, crisp air, but beyond stupid right now. The whole damn sport is ludicrous anyway. I still can't figure out why schools and parents are hell bent on scrambling their kids brains, blowing out their knees, and making them arthritic by 35 just so they can entertain the masses as modern day gladiators. Just.stop.it.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I agree.

Also, let me just say that these kinds of temps, and especially if there is any significant humidity present, are not good for the instruments of the band, either. I once played in 100 degree weather for an outdoor concert, and by the time the concert was halfway through, we had adjusted our instruments as far as we could, and could no longer keep them in tune. I spent a LOT of time trying to get moisture out of my flute and piccolo. The pads were drenched. And of course any wind instrument is already experiencing spit/breath moisture on top of it. There was no wind circulating. Beyond miserable! And folks who came to the concert started leaving by the half because it wasn't comfortable for them either. They were at least spared the 2nd half which was the out of tune ear damaging mess.

Of course, I think high school football is absolutely stupid. My high school had a rule that if you wanted to play in orchestra or concert band and were woodwind, brass, or percussion, you had to be in marching band as well. That was when I knew that I made grievous error in not choosing cello! It was a great relief to drop music in high school because I was full time dual enrolled in college. The college I was at did not require us to play in marching band. Oh the joy!!

As for the football players, 100 outside and all of their padding, tapping, etc. this is dangerous. They can't cool themselves properly from evaporation because the uniforms and protective gear will hold the sweat close to their skin. That is fine when it is 50 outside and fall, crisp air, but beyond stupid right now. The whole damn sport is ludicrous anyway. I still can't figure out why schools and parents are hell bent on scrambling their kids brains, blowing out their knees, and making them arthritic by 35 just so they can entertain the masses as modern day gladiators. Just.stop.it.

My thoughts exactly.

We're in AL so it's never not humid. 
 Band is THE ONLY reason I attend games. 

Edited by Kidlit

It will be cooler than that here in TN by 7 pm, though our days are definitely hot and humid. Sunset is at 7:30. It won’t be crisp and cold for games here til October, the last 4 games.

Lacrosse in the spring is often cold, wet, and miserable. 

I have a boy who absolutely thrives in contact sports and loves, loves, loves playing football. I would love it if he ran cross-country, but that is not the kid I have. Football has been integral to my son’s success in high school and I am thankful for it, despite the risks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are state gov’t rules about heat and outdoor school activities in TN. Our team has early am practices when the heat index is super high. 5:00-6:30. School starts at 7:30. The school provides breakfast, though my Ds prefers mom-made food. Or they practice indoors, but that is hard bc volleyball needs the gym. 

Summer practices are mornings, generally. They schedule weight lifting in the lovely A/C for afternoons in the summer.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Our team has early am practices when the heat index is super high. 5:00-6:30. School starts at 7:30. The school provides breakfast, though my Ds prefers mom-made food.

Summer practices are mornings, generally. They schedule weight lifting in the lovely A/C for afternoons in the summer.

I have no personal experience, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works here, too. 

• Like 1

This is how kids die. They instituted rules here if the wet bulb globe index is above a certain level they cancel practices and games. We've got a crazy heat advisory this week here and games have been cancelled. I've walked at 6:30 and even then it's miserable with the heat and humidity.

• Like 6

If you have a percussionist, you possibly have indoor percussion to look forward to? It’s super intense, but it’s all inside. It’s your reward for getting through marching season. I’m also in AL and have a percussionist (mallet player). Really only the last game or two is cold. September is slightly better than August. Good luck to you!!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Caclcoca said:

If you have a percussionist, you possibly have indoor percussion to look forward to? It’s super intense, but it’s all inside. It’s your reward for getting through marching season. I’m also in AL and have a percussionist (mallet player). Really only the last game or two is cold. September is slightly better than August. Good luck to you!!

Yes!  My adult nephew was a percussionist for the same high school band, and it was a huge positive  part of his high school experience and helped him along his life path.  His career involves music! 

• Like 3

I can't imagine the poor football teams playing in the heat this week.  My two guys play soccer and had practice for two hours in the early afternoon sun yesterday.  They were exhausted and stinky.  My guy who is trying to get his driving  hours for his license gave up 30 min.  drive time home because he was so exhausted.

• Sad 2

We're in the same boat here...my son is in the marching band, and we're just kind of waiting to see whether or not they postpone Friday's game. The soccer game last night was cancelled, so we'll see, but I think it's absurd to play a game where the players have to wear so much gear when the heat is so extreme!

12 hours ago, ScoutTN said:I have a boy who absolutely thrives in contact sports and loves, loves, loves playing football. I would love it if he ran cross-country, but that is not the kid I have. Football has been integral to my son’s success in high school and I am thankful for it, despite the risks. 

My ultra-competitive oldest son is the same, and he started wrestling in 1st grade. Shortly after that, we were able to stop sensory therapy since wrestling filled his sensory needs. He was a star football player and star wrestler in high school, and he’s now wrestling in college. Turns out that being sensory seeking is very helpful in contact sports. I worry about how he will meet his sensory needs when post-college, but he should be able to find other competitive physical sports as an adult. 

• Like 3

@2squared Yes! Thank you. 

Mine is not ultra-competitive nor a star athlete, but his need for the physical contact is real and he is SO much easier and healthier emotionally when he has it. Last winter, with no sport, his grades tanked and he was miserable to live with. We may let him start martial arts this winter? Need something he can begin at age 16. He plays rec league bball and works out, but those things don’t address this specific need.  

For my Ds, this is part of ADHD. My strongest love language is touch and it is his too. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

On 8/22/2023 at 9:50 AM, Faith-manor said:

My high school had a rule that if you wanted to play in orchestra or concert band and were woodwind, brass, or percussion, you had to be in marching band as well.

When I was in high school, they had this rule. I was in marching band one year and hated every minute. The uniforms had double-breasted jackets, made of double knit polyester, clearly designed by a sadist. So fun in 90 degree weather! I am slightly bow-legged and was ordered to have my knees touch each other. I enjoyed concert band, but quit because marching band was so awful.

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

Mine is not ultra-competitive nor a star athlete, but his need for the physical contact is real and he is SO much easier and healthier emotionally when he has it. Last winter, with no sport, his grades tanked and he was miserable to live with. We may let him start martial arts this winter? Need something he can begin at age 16. He plays rec league bball and works out, but those things don’t address this specific need.  

For my Ds, this is part of ADHD. My strongest love language is touch and it is his too. 

My ds takes tae kwon do and it does fill that same need for him. Just kinda takes the rough edges off his behavior. All ages take classes. There are adults that start with no prior experience and it’s fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

My ds takes tae kwon do and it does fill that same need for him. Just kinda takes the rough edges off his behavior. All ages take classes. There are adults that start with no prior experience and it’s fine. 

This might be good for continuing after high school. 

4 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Huh. This sounds like my son (including the touch part) -- we never tried team sports because he does so terrible in a team environment

• Sad 1

My step-brother has his upper elementary kids in soccer ( He is a fanatic.  Hired a professional coach when son was 5 for the team.  He plays in an adult league.) They have been playing tournaments in the weather. He says they have plenty of water and they are all acclimated to it...  Sounds nuts to me. 

18 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

Huh. This sounds like my son (including the touch part) -- we never tried team sports because he does so terrible in a team environment

In my world, wrestling is an individual sport with a team component. My wrestlers have individually competed in the high school state tournament but their teams have not qualified. My wrestlers have also competed individually in national tournaments in folk style, Greco, and freestyle wrestling outside of the high school season. So many options for a lot of sensory input nearly year-round!

• Like 2