Menu

2023 Honda CRV

Scarlett

My mom does. She ordered it custom with all the upgrades. It took 1/3 the time to arrive they said it would. She loves it. The hybrid model has completely fixed the problem with acceleration that it had when she had one 12-15 years ago. She drove a Honda Fit and something else I don’t remember in the meantime. She let me drive it one day and I loved it too, but I need a third row and I’d really like a plug in hybrid for my next car. 

I have a very old one, and it's my favorite car/vehicle ever. (ours is a 2003, still going strong, although it was more or less stored for 6 yrs while we were in Brazil). (and it's *still* my favorite car, of all our cars - we have that, a 2013 Odyssey mini-van, and a 2015 (?) Accord). 

We're getting ready to get another vehicle, and it's one of the options being considered (also debating an actual truck), but I haven't decided if I like the new style or not. For dependability, though....gosh, I love my CR-V. 

I have a 2018 Honda CRV that has served us well.

I purchased it in 2020 because my Aunt and Uncle have had CRVs for -- close to 10 years and really love them and I was tired of replacing our used Chevrolets every 3-5 years.  The OEM battery and tires on CRVs are not thought to be great and we've already had to replace both. But otherwise it keeps chugging along. We'll see as it gets older but I have high hopes for it!

Edited by vonfirmath

We had a 2001 that we drove for 20 years and we have a 2016. I love/loved both of them. Both were almost completely trouble free, but we’re very diligent about keeping up with routine maintenance per Honda’s recommended schedule. We’ve been a Honda family since 1990. The only complaint I have is that they seemed to cheap out on the interiors of our most recent models (both 2016). I don’t know if the newer models have improved on that or not. 

Thank you all. I had a 1991 Honda Civic for 11 years. I absolutely love that car. It was a five speed manual and got about 30 to 35 miles per gallon consistently. We change the brakes and replace a timing chain and then other than oil changes that’s all we had to do to the car and all those years.

interiors on Hondas and Toyotas tend to not be very luxurious. But honestly, the dependability of the vehicle is much more important to me at this point in my life.

Hopefully I can get DH to agree to this versus a forerunner which is just too expensive in my opinion. 

• Like 3

I have just started to look at them online. I believe I can go in and order a 2024 with the very few things I want on mine. So that I can keep the price down. But that may not be any cheaper than getting a new 2023. There are several on the lot here locally. 

13 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I have just started to look at them online. I believe I can go in and order a 2024 with the very few things I want on mine. So that I can keep the price down. But that may not be any cheaper than getting a new 2023. There are several on the lot here locally. 

If you feel comfortable sharing, if/when you do go in, I'm curious if the dealerships are still asking over list price. I know many manufacturer's dealers were during COVID - $4K+ over list. 

Edited by Bambam

28 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Thank you all. I had a 1991 Honda Civic for 11 years. I absolutely love that car. It was a five speed manual and got about 30 to 35 miles per gallon consistently. We change the brakes and replace a timing chain and then other than oil changes that’s all we had to do to the car and all those years.

interiors on Hondas and Toyotas tend to not be very luxurious. But honestly, the dependability of the vehicle is much more important to me at this point in my life.

Hopefully I can get DH to agree to this versus a forerunner which is just too expensive in my opinion. 

We still have a 2007 Corolla with manual transmission. I'm going to be so sad when it's gone and will have no other choice but automatic. ☹️

• Thanks 1

We have 2013 CRV and it's the best car I've ever had. We keep getting offers from the dealership to purchase her but she is going to be a life long member of our family. After we got one, my mother got one, one DIL bought one, another DIL is planning to get one, as well as my youngest son's girlfriend. When we do need a new car again, it will be another CRV.

• Like 1

We had a Honda Accord for 17 years with nothing needing fixing.

Our 2029 Honda CRV replacement for the Accord is great. Got it before the prices on cars started going up and it was a good deal compared to other brands we looked at. This one has the older engine which according to our mechanic was tried and true. Don't know how the new engine it was replaced with is. The car is zippy! Great for merging and city driving. Shorter than my Subaru Outback so good for parallel parking. Good sound system. Good gas milage, BUT it has a smaller gas tank than my Subaru, so I have to remember to get filled up sooner on long drives than I would with the Subaru. Crash test ratings are very good. Most importantly, it is reliable and so far hasn't needed any repairs. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, knitgrl said:

I dunno. My mother had one years ago that was an absolute lemon. She kept taking it to the dealership to fix it and they fleeced her unmercifully. They told her $4,000 a year in repairs was normal and fine. 😠

She has my sympathies. There are multiple (much older) years of CR-Vs with a known issue with air conditioning they call the "black death."  Basically it sends little shards of metal through the system so that everything needs to be replaced. 

We have a 2004 CR-V that has had multiple issues with the air conditioning. The first time was due to a manufacturing defect. I can't be sure about the others. We have replaced the air conditioning three times now.  Also there was another manufacturing defect (maybe the TPS sensor??) that we had to fix. We definitely put more money into that car than we ever intended, and we abandoned using the dealership as soon as the warranty was up because of that fleecing issue.  All that to say--avoid a 2004 CR-V.

ETA: My husband had a 2000 Civic that held up great. No major issues. Also he has a 2014 Accord that is holding up really well, and my Odyssey is doing well.  So overall we are a Honda family.  

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

We also love Honda, but Toyota is great as well. We had an Odyssey that were drove across Canada twice, and the only reason we got rid of it was because the a/c went out for a second time. Dh had an Accord, which was his first-ever car, and it was great. We have a Toyota Sienna now, and love it.

We'd definitely get another Honda.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cintinative said:

She has my sympathies. There are multiple (much older) years of CR-Vs with a known issue with air conditioning they call the "black death."  Basically it sends little shards of metal through the system so that everything needs to be replaced. 

We have a 2004 CR-V that has had multiple issues with the air conditioning. The first time was due to a manufacturing defect. I can't be sure about the others. We have replaced the air conditioning three times now.  Also there was another manufacturing defect (maybe the TPS sensor??) that we had to fix. We definitely put more money into that car than we ever intended, and we abandoned using the dealership as soon as the warranty was up because of that fleecing issue.  All that to say--avoid a 2004 CR-V.

ETA: My husband had a 2000 Civic that held up great. No major issues. Also he has a 2014 Accord that is holding up really well, and my Odyssey is doing well.  So overall we are a Honda family.  

I remember she had A/C issues, as well. Possibly the TPS sensor, too? Anyway, your description made me curious, and I went back to look at the records she gave me, because we were like, "This is very wrong. You should not be taking your car in to get fixed every other month." Hers was a 2011. Just making note of it here as a PSA for anyone in the used market.

• Like 2

So I spoke with my husbands sisters today and they seem to be of the opinion Dh needs to be able  keep his box trailer and be able to tow it.  I don’t know.  If we are talking between the 4 Runner and the cRV the difference is about 15K. 

This is making me crazy.

Could he rent something to tow with?  Maybe?  Or hire things done?  

Would he use it that often?

Maybe his sisters can pay $15,000 so that he can do whatever chores they want him to do.  

Edit:  or maybe they have his best interests in mind!  But that’s a lot to pay, even if it would be expensive to rent a truck or whatnot.  If he didn’t have a box trailer, he could probably rent or hire a lot of things, depending on all the details.  

Or he might use it that much, or just love to be the guy with the box trailer who can help people out!!!!!!! I think there is a lot to be said for that.  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

Man I have all sorts of opinions on what my relative's and friend's auto choices so they can help me move, or tow a trailer, or whatever?? Actually I have no opinions at all - I am interested if they talk about getting a different vehicle and might ask questions about their decision process, but that is it. 

Unless there is a company business, why would you care what relatives think about what you or your DH should drive?  This falls into the none-yer business here in TX. 

But maybe I'm missing something? Is there a reason they get a vote into your vehicle choice? (No need to answer, just something to think about yourself)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2023 at 6:33 PM, Bambam said:

Man I have all sorts of opinions on what my relative's and friend's auto choices so they can help me move, or tow a trailer, or whatever?? Actually I have no opinions at all - I am interested if they talk about getting a different vehicle and might ask questions about their decision process, but that is it. 

Unless there is a company business, why would you care what relatives think about what you or your DH should drive?  This falls into the none-yer business here in TX. 

But maybe I'm missing something? Is there a reason they get a vote into your vehicle choice? (No need to answer, just something to think about yourself)

Sorry I wasn’t trying to say they have a vote.  I was just rambling wondering if maybe I am seeing it incorrectly.

They do know us well and know him better even.  They just think it is a lot to ask of him to not be able to tow. 

• Like 3

For 15k price difference he could get a CRV AND an old beater pick up for towing—if it’s not something he needs to do frequently. Downside is paying for insurance on 2 vehicles. 

This is always hard. Dh decided to get a Forester a couple of years ago (same class as the CRV) in order to save money. He had always had a truck before. He likes his Forester a lot, but he’s looking at trucks again for next time. He’s on the Runzheimer program, so we have to do this every 3-4 years. Trucks are so insanely expensive though! And we both hate all these new, smaller turbo charged engines they are putting in all the trucks. I guess we watch too many Scotty Kilmer videos on YouTube. Lol 

Edit to add: if Dh had a choice, he would buy a late model used truck with an old school v6 or v8. But on Runzheimer, he cannot own a car more than 3 or 4 model years old. It used to be 3, but since the pandemic they’ve loosened the rules a little. So we are actually considering what I suggested above. He doesn’t want to pay that much for an expensive truck with an unproven track record. So he may get another Subaru and a cheap old truck for hauling stuff. For what he’s been looking at, the price difference is at least 20k. The Foresters are really reasonable. His is the “Sport” trim level. 

I can’t stomach paying more for a vehicle than our first house cost. 😬

Edited by popmom