Menu

College Class of 2027 - Rising Sophomores - Check in Here

mlktwins

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Mine has mandatory sexual harassment training he hasn’t done. He has placement tests to do, he hasn’t done. There are transcript issues still. And no, we don’t yet know when he lives in or who his roommates are. He is supposed to be moving in sometime at of September, so less than a month. Meanwhile public school here started first week of August. It’s a bit nuts. Frankly, I want a redo of this entire journey. 

In my experience a redo would just bring new issues. There are so many uncontrollable variables the biggest of which is our wonderful dc who have minds and personalities of their own but are still so much in process and who have a huge desire to be independent which means not listening to our hard earned wisdom. It’s a messy process for sure. 

• Like 4

My kid moved in a week ago.   She had early move in because we had parent and student orientation for a couple days.   I really liked that!   Didn’t feel as abrupt having some time on campus, ability to do that last minute target run, etc.   Luckily her roomie moved in early too.   

This week freshman are doing this full time discover Chicago class.   It sounds super awesome!   I’ve hardly heard from her.  She is happy and engaged and serving as a dorm social director.  I love it!   

• Like 4

DS18 had orientation on Monday. His orientation group was all computer science transfers so the kids in his group were happily chatting about programming languages while waiting for the orientation to start. We walked pass his dorm building so he knows how long it would take from his dorm to engineering school.
My husband is happy with the dorm environment as it looks very pleasant and well maintained even for the much older freshmen dorms. I got to meet a mom of a computer science transfer from the engineering school parents group on Facebook so that was good too.

• Like 6

DS18 got his fall class schedule. They recommended taking 3 classes only for Fall and then 4 classes for Winter and Spring. His schedule is not bad. Lots of “free time” for group project discussions. Three days of 9am classes with 10am to noon free for brunch, and two days of evening classes.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

DS18 got his fall class schedule. They recommended taking 3 classes only for Fall and then 4 classes for Winter and Spring. His schedule is not bad. Lots of “free time” for group project discussions. Three days of 9am classes with 10am to noon free for brunch, and two days of evening classes.

Ha! Opposite schedule for my kiddo. She is so happy b/c she scheduled all of her classes after 11a. That’s her earliest day. Everything else is 12-4. She has no classes on Friday. Living the dream!! Lol.

• Like 4

Seemingly successful transition to engaged college student: . Dd has add/dropped one class, met with her temporary advisor and found one she wants instead, ordered textbooks, tells me she's ready to declare her major 🙂 and has made lots of friends.  This mother's heart is cautiously happy!

• Like 8

Oldest is prone to ear infections and felt one coming on just as we were leaving. We told her to go to the campus clinic for fresh Rx drops, which she…did?! Without any addl prompting! Currently she’s reporting her hearing is restored and has no pain. Honestly, this changeover feels too easy. We all felt ready. It’s early days yet so we’ll see what’s to come.

I didn’t do the MPOA and DPA paperwork before she left and was quickly reminded why we need it. DDs roommate has already had a car accident so we called the lawyer and had them sent to DD to print and sign. I’m sure there’s a notary somewhere on campus. We asked her to keep it with her vital docs and send us a copy. Hope that’s good enough.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Oldest is prone to ear infections and felt one coming on just as we were leaving. We told her to go to the campus clinic for fresh Rx drops, which she…did?! Without any addl prompting! Currently she’s reporting her hearing is restored and has no pain. Honestly, this changeover feels too easy. We all felt ready. It’s early days yet so we’ll see what’s to come.

I didn’t do the MPOA and DPA paperwork before she left and was quickly reminded why we need it. DDs roommate has already had a car accident so we called the lawyer and had them sent to DD to print and sign. I’m sure there’s a notary somewhere on campus. We asked her to keep it with her vital docs and send us a copy. Hope that’s good enough.

Global studies office :).  They have to deal with a lot of paperwork. 

• Thanks 1

Dd was home for the holiday weekend and just left an hour ago to go back to school. Dh and I are sad. It was fun to have her home, even though she didn’t spend all her time with us. She hung out with a friend some too. I guess we will get used to her popping in and out and be less sad when she leaves? 

• Like 6

On 9/2/2023 at 4:55 PM, Dmmetler said:

Global studies office :).  They have to deal with a lot of paperwork. 

Shared!! She brought her recently renewed passport with her to school (I made her go on her own, altho I did give her the docs and make the appt). She went on a graduation cruise (SHE PAID) with a friend in July. She might need a shot or two depending on the country but b/c we were overseas a few years ago so she might be ok too. We'll see. I am so proud of this kid!

Her face when her roomie returned with a new piercing and said, "My parents aren't gonna like it" during our family facetime call. DDs words... "Oh, wow, I'm sorry. That sucks. My parents were like, when you're 18, you do what you want. Now they don't care. Can't relate. where did you get it and how much did it cost? I want one." Roomie confessed it was at a fly-by-night spot trying to make a name for itself >35$. I was like...INFECTION ALLEY!! DD's face=NO! I WOULD NEVER! My kid has three tattoos and wants a sleeve. I'm still dead. 🤣 These kids are awesome and I am so flipping blessed! #breaking cycles.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ieta_cassiopeia said:

Are adults going back to college-level study eligible for this thread? If so, I got my course pack from Open University on Friday and I'm very excited. It even came with a fancy calculator!

Super exciting!  I always used to love receiving my parcels from the Open University each year.

I hope you enjoy your course(s) - it's been a while, but I always found the quality of the learning materials was top-notch.

• Like 1

How did I miss this thread earlier?!

DS spent the summer getting ready. I was gone for most of it, caring for ill parents, and so we didn't optimize our spending while purchasing everything we needed online here and there. (I love shared spreadsheets!) We did same some money by carrying almost everything in our suitcases and then making one run to Target near the college for liquids, snacks, and a rug. Bless the lady at the checkout who let him ignore the sign up as a college student and just scanned a code and gave him 25% off.

Registration went well and he got all the classes at the time he wanted.

We moved him in Aug 19 and then stayed for the first few days of orientation, as they had some family events and DD wanted museum time in a new city. The full orientation for new students was a week long and he found it very helpful.

His roommate is interesting--very bright and a maker. Brought a ton of stuff but managed to get it all to fit in the room. Luckily, his roommate is generous in sharing and DS's side is much more sparse. We met the roommate's parents and they are super nice.

DS seems to be adjusting so far. I had felt fairly comfortable with the classes since he's already taken AP/CC/my own versions before, but suddenly he was invited to advanced classes instead which made me more nervous. So far it's turned out to be a great idea though, as those classes are smaller and are covering topics he's had no exposure to yet.

Not sure what he's doing for Thanksgiving. I bought him a ticket to his uncle's, which is still a flight but not cross country and is non-stop. Coming home would be two long flights with a transfer. He'd prefer to avoid flying at all and is hoping for a local-ish invitation by car but we will see. For winter holidays, he's coming home but our hoped for trip to Death Valley might be cancelled because the entire park is closed after hurricane Hilary.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, gstharr said:

National Parks just announced that D.V. is expected to reopen October 18th. 

That's much better than the "indefinite, probably into the new year" timeframe I got when I called soon after Hilary! Our reservations are for early January.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, idnib said:

How did drop off go?

Fingers crossed for all the good things.

I would say well! We spent a night and met up with @rzberrymom

Ran around tried to get all the things at Target only to realize the campus store has more and better things. Last time I was there was summer and the store was completely empty, so this was a shocker.

Most of all he managed to get into computer science class he wanted, which is huge! And hopefully slowly he will come out of his shell and make friends and find a way to navigate life without me at the wheel. 
It’s going to get harder not seeing him daily, but right now I can’t process that he is gone. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I would say well! We spent a night and met up with @rzberrymom

Ran around tried to get all the things at Target only to realize the campus store has more and better things. Last time I was there was summer and the store was completely empty, so this was a shocker.

Most of all he managed to get into computer science class he wanted, which is huge! And hopefully slowly he will come out of his shell and make friends and find a way to navigate life without me at the wheel. 
It’s going to get harder not seeing him daily, but right now I can’t process that he is gone. 

I'm glad to hear it went well and esp that he got the class he wanted. I'm still processing and it's been a month today since we saw DS. It takes time. I no longer cry if I have to go into his room at least. Be kind to yourself!

1 hour ago, rzberrymom said:

Two musical, science-y homeschoolers running around in the non-stop California sunshine!! 😃

Sounds amazing!

Edited by idnib
  • Like 1

We just moved DS18 in to his dorm today. Then went shopping to get air purifier and water filter because we didn’t have trunk space in our sedan to buy and bring over. Sunday morning is the engineering school family orientation and welcome party so we are staying until after orientation then driving home. Monday DS17’s community college class starts. We haven’t met his suite mates.

• Like 8

Dd has decided not to minor in piano performance bc the professor is just not a fit for her.  Dd is working on figuring out a plan B for piano, possibly lessons with her prof from piano camp for classical and also working with a local church pianist/keyboard player for more contemporary music. Dd might take voice lessons for credit next semester. She has many musical interests and will figure it out. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

DS18 is down with flu since last Friday so he has made a visit to Student Health Service. We have tried Costco delivery for non perishables, Target delivery for non perishables and Vons delivery for perishables. The delivery for non perishables by Costco and Target are free. Vons delivery fee varies by delivery window and of course a tip for the delivery person.  The tipping in the Vons app is very simple; 5%, 10% or custom amount.  One of his roommate’s mom brought a rice cooker, slow cooker, pots and cooking utensils. 
He complained about walking and asked for a kick scooter so we ordered one from Target. They are not allowed to use electric scooters/bicycles on campus as it is a safety hazard to people walking.

• Sad 7

52 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

DS18 is down with flu since last Friday so he has made a visit to Student Health Service. We have tried Costco delivery for non perishables, Target delivery for non perishables and Vons delivery for perishables. The delivery for non perishables by Costco and Target are free. Vons delivery fee varies by delivery window and of course a tip for the delivery person.  The tipping in the Vons app is very simple; 5%, 10% or custom amount.  One of his roommate’s mom brought a rice cooker, slow cooker, pots and cooking utensils. 
He complained about walking and asked for a kick scooter so we ordered one from Target. They are not allowed to use electric scooters/bicycles on campus as it is a safety hazard to people walking.

I am so sorry. I hope he recovers quickly. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Not quite at the halfway point of the semester and I have one considering a major change. First one in this thread?

I sent a sad face because that seems concerning, but maybe it's a good thing?  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I am so sorry. I hope he recovers quickly. 

Better to be sick now at the start of term than finals week. I had the experience of taking exams in college while taking Sudafed (original) and fever reducer an hour before and then drink a cup of coffee just before entering the exam hall. He has been attending classes with disposable masks on to minimize being contagious but he is definitely not the only student attending classes while sick. 

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Eos said:

I sent a sad face because that seems concerning, but maybe it's a good thing?  

It's fine, still under consideration - so I'm glad there has been no impulsive change. From my personal perspective as an engineer by training, switching from English to Romance Languages is in the chaff. I couldn't be successful at either and I don't even know what "success" would mean to that child and in those majors. 😄 I'm happy they are happy, and if the change makes them happy it's all good. Plus, the earlier it happens (if it happens) the smaller the disruption I think.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I hope he is on the mend by now? Poor thing! My First Years have been reporting flu and "sickness" all around, but so far they have been unscathed. Surely it is just a matter of time, though. I sent a big box of "things for if you get sick" 😬

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

I hope he is on the mend by now?

He says last Friday was day one of feeling sick. The student health service gave him the generic form of Flonase. He did not have any appetite and asked for cereal because the campus convenience stores don’t carry cereals. So I did the perishables order on Wednesday night and the delivery person delivered to the parking lot nearest his dorm on Thursday morning. What he is able to eat for yesterday and today were the apples, granola with milk, yakult (probiotic drink), bread. He had instant noodles before that as he was too sick to go out of his dorm for food. His classes are Mondays to Fridays so he can cook soup tomorrow with the carrots, onions, mushrooms and cabbage that were with the perishables order. 
I sent him more disposable masks, energen-C and the Wedderspoon honey drops in the Target order. I have tried the honey drops and they are expensive but nice. He hasn’t tried them yet. https://wedderspoon.com/collections/best-sellers/products/organic-manuka-honey-drops-honey

ETA:

His college and our home are in the heat wave zone. 93degF right now.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Sad 6

My freshman has finally started to occasionally text me lol. Before it was weekly texts that seriously read: “I am alive”. 😂 He did submit to weekly FaceTime talks, though-short ones!  He has a group of friends, says classes are going well and his group just won the cardboard boat races! So he seems to be doing fine. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Well, I am going to go see mine next week because I just don’t know how much “I am OK” I can trust. I have my reasons. 

(((Hug))) I hope things are actually ok. Iirc your ds started more recently than many of ours. It can be a tough adjustment. My present freshman’s lack of communication has been hard on my anxiety. 

Edited by freesia
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

It's fine, still under consideration - so I'm glad there has been no impulsive change. From my personal perspective as an engineer by training, switching from English to Romance Languages is in the chaff. I couldn't be successful at either and I don't even know what "success" would mean to that child and in those majors. 😄 I'm happy they are happy, and if the change makes them happy it's all good. Plus, the earlier it happens (if it happens) the smaller the disruption I think.

My friend started as an East Asian Languages and Cultures major and now lives in Belgium, works at the Hague. We couldn't drag her back to the U.S. (we've tried) 🙂 There's hope!

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3