Menu

College Class of 2027 - Rising Sophomores - Check in Here

mlktwins

Well...we've been busy here with all the freshman college stuff.

DS2 had his overnight orientation at UMW last week and it went fine. 2 days before we went, I had posted something on the parent FB page and a mom contacted me. We have a mutual twin mom friend in common. Come to find out she has one twin going to UMW and the other twin going to JMU. What are the odds. Anyway, DS2 was able to room with her son for the night so that was great.

He received his first choice dorm and has a pretty good room. He has a communal bathroom, but has a full handicapped bathroom next to him and they are allowed to use it if no one else is. That is a big perk! Random roommate so not sure about that. Hopefully that works out for him.

DS2's school schedules classes for all incoming freshman. Classes were selected based on a questionnaire they filled out. Some people weren't happy with theirs, but DS2's schedule turned out pretty good. Good spacing between classes and mostly things he wanted. He wants to change his fine arts class to something else and he is still deciding on doing honors. Other than that, he is good to go.

DS1's class registration is tomorrow (JMU). It is a crazy, crazy process 🤪. They have assigned a first year advisor and DS1's is pretty responsive. But...they don't really meet with them until orientation next week and registration is tomorrow. He has a worksheet they give the kids and we've turned into a spreadsheet showing what he needs to take for the next 4 years (both gen ed and major). That helped him see the big picture. It seems they may have over-enrolled and they are making changes to some parts of the registration process. DS1 is doing a lot of the work, but is very happy for some help going through this for the first time. We currently have a Plan A in the shopping cart, but need to come up with a Plan B, C, D, E. Hopefully he can makes changes in August if needed. And...it is hard when he is waiting on 2 AP scores - for his major required classes. Two he should be taking his first semester.

His orientation is just one day. He picks his dorm in July some time.

Anyway, we are surviving 😁. Will be glad when tomorrow is over. We won't stress about it again until end of July. I did make sure he wants my help. He said he would usually be annoyed, but is very thankful this time 🤣.

They are turning 18 next week 😭!

How is everyone else doing with their incoming freshman?

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 9

My incoming freshman is working hard physical work this summer which is excellent for his health, mental and otherwise.  It is not so good for getting things done on his portal or thank you notes written or parking ticket paid.  I signed into his portal today and when he gets home we will power through some of the things, including forwarding the e-mails that go to his college email to his gmail.  Ugh.

He has a roomate--he randomly put himself in a room so idk how it will go, but he is easy to live with (if you are not his mother trying to get details done lol.)  His college assigns the freshman classes, but it's not a mystery because mechanical engineering is pretty set plus the honors humanity courses.  We should get that in July.

The main things is we are moving at the end of July and his orientation/start of school is mid-August.  So, we need to be really organized with his packing,  which probably means that I will do it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

We had orientation last month (the first session available,  so we had most class options).  She has a private dorm and will share a bathroom with one other girl.  We met her and her parents at orientation, I think they will work out well.  As for the advising- no one contacted her before, so I helped her make a few schedules and it's a good thing I did!  They COMPLETELY skipped her.  Like everyone else went to their advising session by major, and no one showed up for her major.  They had to call and see who was available.  The labs she wanted were full, but she still has a decent schedule and got the classes she needed.  

Now on to the fun stuff,  like dorm shopping!  I'm excited!  We got the bedding, so now we plan the rest.  

• Like 7

Mine just left this morning for a summer of adventure. Giant backpack (ahh, the memories!), flying off to see old friends, then to a very sweet and nurturing choral festival, then more travel.

UCLA doesn’t start until late September (!) and she just couldn’t wait anymore—she’s been doing DE for 5 years and is so so ready. So, she signed up for their summer program for incoming freshmen and will knock out two important classes and start exploring LA. 

I guess almost all freshman are given triple rooms there. Her building was built as doubles but they’ve now been turned into triples. Should be interesting!!

She hasn’t done registration for the fall yet (that will happen in August), but they did take almost every single one of her DE credits and so she has junior standing now and is really hoping that helps with getting the classes she needs!!

• Like 12

Mine has got his learner permit and is making decent driving progress.  I don’t know if he will have his license at the end of summer at this point, but he’s on a good path.  

He has started moving into the room at my parents’, and will move in completely when my mom returns from a trip in July.  

He is doing Zoom orientation next Tuesday.  He has got most of the online portal stuff done, but not all of it.

I think he will have a basic Freshman schedule based on his major, it looks pretty straightforward.  

• Like 6

DS18 is an incoming transfer but he still has orientation and dorm shopping like the incoming freshmen. He is having spring quarter finals next week so summer holidays hasn’t started for him. His idea of dorm shopping is going to Daiso and Target after moving in all the bulky items (pillows, comforter, etc) and then buy stuff like waste paper basket, stationery holder, odds and ends. We went Daiso today and he would take any containers/bins there that is plain so that’s good. 
We are basically slackers here so he has his health insurance waiver, TB blood test, and some vaccinations to complete. He also has a transfer credit appeal/petition to file for one math subject. 

• Like 7

Mine just quit a job - still door dashing (apparently it’s profitable here; suburbanites are unwilling shoppers) and is getting ready to cruise/vacay with a friend. She’ll be gone three weeks, home two, then leave for school. Medical is finished/filed. She just needs to find a new roomie. Old one felt she wasn’t communicative enough…RED FLAG/crisis averted. Placement tests and dorm selection are finished. We just need to pay the bill and drop her off. 🤷🏽‍♀️ SIL sent her a gorgeous leather backpack with her name embossed. It’ll last a lifetime and DD is in love. DD is mostly concerned with accessing free/low-cost Hulu/Netflix/Amazon services before departure. 🤦🏽‍♀️ 

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

My Dd gets home from her trip to Europe tomorrow night. She’ll rest up, do some school prep things, then head to camp to work for a few weeks. After camp she’ll have a last minute scramble to be ready. She has the next to last orientation session, late July. I expect that timing will produce a less than optimal schedule, but she chose knowing that. She has a roommate but hasn’t connected yet. She got the dorm she wanted. 

I need to schedule an appt at urgent care for her to get the vaxes she needs. Dental appt is later in the summer. 

• Like 7

OK well, umm, I am confessing here that dd is finishing one last project at the kitchen table as we speak... We had planned her graduation for this Saturday but we both have covid, naturally, after successfully avoiding it for three years so we've chosen to postpone, probably to early August.

She got the dorm she wanted and has been assigned a roommate whose name she knows and that's it - they haven't actually chatted yet which is kind of funny to me for mad-extrovert dd.  She and I both need to walk through her portal and look at where I need to be made proxy and while I'm there peep at everything she has checked off.

She's been working for a landscaper which is hard physically but well-paid and outside, plus she loves the other crew members.  Fall and college are not quite in the event horizon but maybe a couple more weeks, getting all her schoolwork done, and covid being gone will help. Not quite there yet.

Edited by Eos
  • Like 9

Dd has moved to campus for a summer short term and knocking out 6 credits. We are still waiting on some classes to be credited and she already has sophomore status. She is also interning but the office is very close to campus. She seemed to be having fun and had gone to some campus ministry event. Our oldest is also working on campus so she has someone close by. 

• Like 8

Happy summer!  My rising college freshman is doing a theater production this summer with a 6 week/5 day a week/1 week out of town run.  So she is BUSY.  We are trying to get other stuff done.  She was just offered honors program - those are handled later for music and theater kids because their admissions cycle is later.  She has a roommate and a room picked in a dorm.  She is on the first floor.  HOORAY, should be easier for move in.  We need to do final transcripts - we need to pull the ones from dual enrollment (2 different colleges) and I need to pull mine together.  We haven't done much shopping, I prefer to do that a little later.  And we may have some stuff shipped direct.  We will see.  I need to make an appointment for her to have a physical and get caught up on vaccinations and get an updated record on that.  Got behind over covid for sure.   We FINALLY just did senior pictures so I'm anxious for those to come back to us.

We have move in dates, I need to book a room.  She is actually able to move in and THEN do orientation/registration due to her distance to campus.  Super grateful we didn't need to make another trip over the summer.  I've been dragging my feet booking, I know it will be $$$$ in Chicago in August lol.  And we need a vehicle to move her so meh, parking is a thing too.  Debating in my head.  We do want to stay through orientation - there is parent stuff going on.  

She is super excited and super ready and I'm excited for her!  

• Like 6

On 6/20/2023 at 1:54 PM, rzberrymom said:

I guess almost all freshman are given triple rooms there. Her building was built as doubles but they’ve now been turned into triples. Should be interesting!!

They did this at my DD1s school after her freshman year. They over-enrolled and were sticking freshmen EVERYWHERE. DD1s freshman dorm was nice and the room was a great size for two... the next year, her same room was a QUAD (with bunk beds). There were only two door-width closets so I don't know what the kids did with their clothes. The school stacked dressers on top of each other and had three desks (fourth kid was just screwed, I guess?). DD was an athlete and helped a lot of the freshmen girls get settled in and said it was a nightmare trying to fit stuff anywhere - and by mid-semester, the girls' rooms were a nightmare - stuff was just EVERYWHERE bc they didn't have a place for everything.

DDs school also had ridiculous library hours - so there weren't many places to go and study past 9 pm always and sometimes the libraries would close at 5 or 6 randomly. I don't know how the freshmen made it through that! (and then Covid hit - imagine all those crammed-in students during those two years!)

Makes me chuckle that hotels would tell us they couldn't accommodate 5 ppl (two adults and three children) bc of fire hazard issues - but colleges are literally piling grown adults of middling responsibility on top of one another in the name of making/saving $$$$. Crazy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 6/20/2023 at 11:54 AM, rzberrymom said:

22 hours ago, easypeasy said:

Makes me chuckle that hotels would tell us they couldn't accommodate 5 ppl (two adults and three children) bc of fire hazard issues - but colleges are literally piling grown adults of middling responsibility on top of one another in the name of making/saving $$$$. Crazy.

I was telling my husband that it sounds like colleges are breaking fire marshal laws for freshmen dorms. DS18 has a room in a four bed two bath suite so we are thankful. We saw YouTube videos of three freshmen to a room and it already looks claustrophobic. 

• Like 2

On 6/20/2023 at 11:54 AM, rzberrymom said:

I guess almost all freshman are given triple rooms there. Her building was built as doubles but they’ve now been turned into triples. Should be interesting!

Do you know if there is a possibility of a triple as sophomore? I don’t think this situation is tolerable for more than a year. I hope we get a double as sophomores. 

7 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Do you know if there is a possibility of a triple as sophomore? I don’t think this situation is tolerable for more than a year. I hope we get a double as sophomores. 

I think they can get doubles as sophomores! When we went to the housing talk, the guy said that nearly all freshmen get triples. But I haven’t heard anything about that continuing next year. I sure hope not!

• Like 1

My son couldn’t log in to his school e-mail account, and had to call IT support.

He would not call but agreed to talk, and then I left the room once the tech support answered.  

I’m hopeful he saw it wasn’t that bad to call, and that he could have just done it himself!  

There was a whole “press this number for this” that I did, but I don’t know if he has ever called for anything like that before.    

It’s a real step in the right direction!!!!!!  I’m glad it went well!  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Dd is getting her meningitis vax tomorrow so we can turn in her health/ immunization forms. 

My boys had the 1st Menn B at the end of May. Their arms were incredibly sore for a few days after and felt very fatigued. They get their 2nd one on the 10th of July.

• Like 3

One of mine is doing orientation today. I assume it will be a day of generic, logical information, but I'm prepared to pay attention or meditate through my part. That one has finished everything that has been asked to this point. It is reading to see these signs of adulting show through. Last week they rebooked a delayed airline flight themselves on the fly and showed they can make eggs, pack lunch and grilled cheese for dinner so I'm feeling like they can function in today's world.

My other rising freshman returns from Europe tomorrow. Despite a lot of moaning I think they did about half the to-dos before they left and have 2 weeks to finish the rest. That one is my serial procrastinator with decent executive skills, a combination that keeps me tense until the last minute every time.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

It’s a series? Ugh. 

Yes. 2 shots at least a month apart. I went ahead and sent my boys' immunization forms into the school since it is a recommended (not required) vaccine. A lot of others did/are doing the same thing at their schools. I will have the forms updated when we get the next one and upload the more current one.

Not too many of the vaccines had a big impact on my guys, but for both of them to say their arms were sore for days and both were really so tired for a few days, this one was a bit of a doozy.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lecka said:

My son couldn’t log in to his school e-mail account, and had to call IT support.

He would not call but agreed to talk, and then I left the room once the tech support answered.  

I’m hopeful he saw it wasn’t that bad to call, and that he could have just done it himself!  

There was a whole “press this number for this” that I did, but I don’t know if he has ever called for anything like that before.    

It’s a real step in the right direction!!!!!!  I’m glad it went well!  

That’s great, Lecka. My oldest works in a tech department at a university. He’s not the first person you would talk to but I can tell you can assure your ds that he loves to solve problems. That’s his job and it’s one he loves. So, he doesn’t have to feel bad letting them use his detective skills to solve problem like this. And they happen all the time. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Check what your child’s college requires though. My kid’s state university requires the single dose one.

Meningococcal conjugate (Serogroups A, C, Y, & W-135)

1 vaccine on or after age 16 for all students age 21 years or younger.

https://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p3081.pdf
0FF28755-CAD6-4B13-80E7-65A456164E63.thumb.jpeg.b0ff0393d598e4c92cee027cb6a0616e.jpeg

Yes, definitely check. I just looked at my boys' 2 schools and their required, versus strongly recommended, versus recommended are very different.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 8:22 AM, mlktwins said:

They are turning 18 next week

Happy Birthday to both of them 

Remember to get the selective service system registration done.

https://www.sss.gov/register/

I helped DS18 apply for a secured credit card so that he has a credit card to use on campus. 

We intend for him to do the covid booster and flu shot in late August or September.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Yes, definitely check. I just looked at my boys' 2 schools and their required, versus strongly recommended, versus recommended are very different.

Dd only needed to get the booster for the A,C,Y & W meningitis vax. Not the B series.

Temporary panic when I thought she’d gotten the wrong one. Documents from uni were not super clear. 

All done now. Health stuff all signed and uploaded. 

I think we are at a stopping point on college things until orientation in late July. Unless Dd hears from her roommate and we could do a little dorm stuff. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

My kids had their 2 day orientation earlier this month. They did one for the kids, broken out into smaller groups which helped them connect with a couple new friends/classmates, and one for the parents. I thought it was really good. Covered tons of topics. Advisors reviewed and approved their schedules on the second day and then they enrolled that afternoon. They got all the courses they wanted; one had to switch up some sections that were filled, but that was all.

We also met almost all the roommates and their parents which was really awesome! (They got to pick their roommate groups based on questionnaires and bios). So many really nice, friendly people. 🙂  The parents and kids each have our own chat groups going. It’ll be nice to meet up again at move-in and family weekend. 

It definitely helped make it comfortable for all of them to have a ‘group’ that they get along with, especially since it’s a huge state university. It should help with the adjustment. I hope at least. Many of them will be in the same dorm building.

I think most stuff has now been purchased for their dorms (which are 4bd/2ba apartments with kitchen and living room). I’m loving Ross stores! Two roommate groups are sharing items for the kitchen and the parents/kids have a shareable spreadsheet for purchases. The other group is mostly doing individual items and then just sharing living room items and bigger appliances. Dh has a uhaul van rented. Move-in is mid-August.

There’s regular videos and courses in Alcohol and Hazing and stuffthat the kids have to complete over the summer. The school releases them periodically so maybe forcing them to get into the habit of checking emails.

Last meningitis vaccines scheduled for the end of July.  We did both A and B for them. 

• Like 4

We did some dorm shopping last weekend- its coming together!  I'm crafty, so is she, and we are doing several things ourselves.  I still need to get a rug, but that's the last bigger item to get.  Well, and a dorm fridge, but those are quick and easy to find!  I would love to find a very cheap hutch to put above one desk, but so far no luck.  I'm hoping to find a yard sale bargain I can just paint!  

She has a roommate- they just share a bathroom.  We met her family at orientation and the mom is friendly, but we haven't been able to really connect with them. The mom even said the DD takes after the dad and is not a people-person?  She seemed distracted and nervous, and never really talked to my DD that day.  The dad went with the roommate, but the mom, my DD and I chatted- I told DD it was hard for some people to chat in that situation, so we plan on meeting up to shop for bathroom stuff, but so far that hasn't happened. I hope that with a more chill atmosphere they can get to know each other.  WIth my older DDs roommate, we planned everything, who bought what, and they are still rooming together for year 3.  We chatted back and forth, still do. WIth this one, the communication seems a little stilted I think they will be fine bathroom mates, but I don't know if they will be really good friends.  I hope I'm wrong, and that she comes out of her shell once they are in college!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BusyMom5 said:

The mom even said the DD takes after the dad and is not a people-person?  She seemed distracted and nervous, and never really talked to my DD that day.  The dad went with the roommate, but the mom, my DD and I chatted- I told DD it was hard for some people to chat in that situation, so we plan on meeting up to shop for bathroom stuff, but so far that hasn't happened.

My kids don’t chat unless they know the person very well. They prefer not to do small talk even though they can be very chatty once they know you well. My DS17 would be nervous in an orientation type event because he would be more worried about doing something wrong like going to the wrong building to check in with the group. 
Are you staying near the roommate’s family? My DS18 would be sharing a bathroom with one other person and it’s unlikely that the person would be staying near enough for us to shop together. Besides, there isn’t anything to share in the bathroom that we can think of since DS18 would likely be using a plastic caddy for his stuff. We would probably buy the 80oz liquid hand soap for the bathroom and kitchen for communal use. If he and his suitemates need anything for communal purposes, we’ll just buy from Target and Costco on move in day or order from Amazon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

My kids don’t chat unless they know the person very well. They prefer not to do small talk even though they can be very chatty once they know you well. My DS17 would be nervous in an orientation type event because he would be more worried about doing something wrong like going to the wrong building to check in with the group. 
Are you staying near the roommate’s family? My DS18 would be sharing a bathroom with one other person and it’s unlikely that the person would be staying near enough for us to shop together. Besides, there isn’t anything to share in the bathroom that we can think of since DS18 would likely be using a plastic caddy for his stuff. We would probably buy the 80oz liquid hand soap for the bathroom and kitchen for communal use. If he and his suitemates need anything for communal purposes, we’ll just buy from Target and Costco on move in day or order from Amazon. 

We live 2 hours north of the college, they live about 30 minutes south of it, so it should work out to meet up a time or two over the summer.  I'm not too worried about it, but I did hope that they would get to know each other a bit before they moved in. My DD is an introvert, too, do i dont expect them to be really chatty!  I am thinking lunch and a little shopping, casual, so they can chat and get to know each other.  Shopping for the bathroom is just the shower curtain and a rug- I bought a thing that goes over the stool. They have their own sinks in their rooms.  My DD still needs to shop for clothes and stuff, too.  She doesn't know anyone going to college here! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

We live 2 hours north of the college, they live about 30 minutes south of it, so it should work out to meet up a time or two over the summer. 
Shopping for the bathroom is just the shower curtain and a rug- I bought a thing that goes over the stool.

Maybe that’s why they aren’t as enthusiastic about dorm shopping. Her parents could easily drop of whatever she need anytime since they are only 30mins away. I lived 1.5hrs by public transport to my college dorm and went home almost every weekend. 
We didn’t have a good experience with bath rugs and the shower curtain is provided. That’s why we intend to shop after kid has moved in and know what else he might want to get. 
Its nice that your daughter gets a sink in her bedroom. It makes filtering water and brushing teeth more convenient. 
Maybe your daughter can plan a shopping trip with her roommate and have a girls day out 🙂

• Like 1

Dd and her to-be-roommate have now had a chat and seem very compatible.  They have started a shared pinterest board to plan decorating their room.  Roomie was homeschooled for 4th grade, and dd didn't feel the need to explain what kind of homeschoolers we are.  Off-topic: wasn't there an American Girl doll who was homeschooled for a year? I wonder if that was a thing for a minute pre-pandemic?

Edited by Eos
  • Like 2

On 6/29/2023 at 1:55 PM, BusyMom5 said:

We live 2 hours north of the college, they live about 30 minutes south of it, so it should work out to meet up a time or two over the summer.  I'm not too worried about it, but I did hope that they would get to know each other a bit before they moved in. My DD is an introvert, too, do i dont expect them to be really chatty!  I am thinking lunch and a little shopping, casual, so they can chat and get to know each other.  Shopping for the bathroom is just the shower curtain and a rug- I bought a thing that goes over the stool. They have their own sinks in their rooms.  My DD still needs to shop for clothes and stuff, too.  She doesn't know anyone going to college here! 

I know it would be a bit much for us to meet up during the summer with future roommates.  We’ve got a busy schedule. Can they maybe just text or chat however kids do and agree on a color scheme? Dds flush mate bought the shower curtain, rug, cart (for to and feminine products I think), trashcan…and then asked dd if she liked it or would prefer something else. I guess she sent photos. Dd didn’t care. I’m buying that stuff for my boys bathrooms.  Their flushmates don’t care.  We’re just divvying up a list.

• Like 1

My son enrolled last week and since then he has gotten so much more confident with using the university website stuff.  He has done two administrative things, and he did one by himself, except for one thing he needed help.  And for that, he would not need help again.

What a relief!

I have been feeling like “will he actually check his school e-mail account???????” And now I’m feeling a lot better about that side of things.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

OP here. I love reading what is going on with all our incoming freshman!!

Since my first post, DS1 picked his classes. Very stressful process at his school, but he has a great schedule. Once he got his AP scores, he was able to drop math and add in a required first year writing class with a great professor (was in his math timeslot so worked out perfectly). 

DS1 picked his dorm this morning and got his first choice. So now we just need to shop and pack for him. JMU over-enrolled and are having to look at other options, such as hotels, for some of the freshman. They've also changed the process for being able to live on campus as an upperclassman, which he was hoping to do. Before this year, you could sign up to "live-on" in the fall and were guaranteed a space. This year, and going forward, you have to apply to "live-on" and you may not find out until summer if you are able to. You also don't get to pick your dorm. That kind of sucks, but he knew that was a possibility going in and he wanted to go there anyway 🤷‍♀️. So now I will be researching off-campus housing in September just in case!

DS2 has a one on one advisor meeting next week and hopes to change a class. We will see. His roommate has not made contact, but I'm not surprised by that.

We have done some shopping - new laptops, backpacks, printers, air purifiers, and a few other things. Trying to be as minimalist as possible.

• Like 7

BK1 has an official roomie again, formally matched in the college’s records. I hope they will get along well but I’m skeptical of BK1s ability to keep her freak flag from flying too high. Hoping for good things. BK1s GF has become a surrogate daughter. I hope she texts from time to time, she’s already texting DH for career advice so…maybe? Who knows whether this ship lasts but DH and I married young and DD says this one is a keeper so we’d be foolish not to pay attention. We shall see. GF’s already adopted some of our family mannerisms. It’s hilarious. BK1 leaves in three days for final vacay. Sigh. This summer has been a good transitional time.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

Bought a couple things for Dd on Amazon, but no real progress on the dorm stuff can happen while she’s at camp and without contact from her roommate.

Planner me wishes Dd didn’t choose the next to last orientation, two weeks before move in! I hate last minute shopping! 

She turned in course requests in the late spring. Assuming the uni accounted for her AP/CLEP scores; we’ll find out at orientation. 

• Like 4

Anyone plan for thanksgiving and winter break yet? I am guessing my kid would stay put in campus for thanksgiving since our local airports are always chaotic. Winter break, my friend’s kid is flying back so we might have him take the same flight. 

10 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Anyone plan for thanksgiving and winter break yet? I am guessing my kid would stay put in campus for thanksgiving since our local airports are always chaotic. Winter break, my friend’s kid is flying back so we might have him take the same flight. 

BK1 will probably come home for both although we are only buying a ticket for Christmas right now. Her roommate is local so she could go there for Thanksgiving.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

My kid’s colleges close the dorms for Thanksgiving. So if kid is staying in a dorm make sure they can stay over. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ds just admitted he’s been texting with some guys in his orientation group. It’s a small group that will go through orientation together but the school connected them earlier this month. Since it’s been hard to get him to engage in administrative or moving things, I am shocked and pleased. I know he’s excited about college, he’s just not a plan or think ahead kind of guy. This is his last week of work. Then he’s away for youth group beach camp and then we move (actually to the state where he’ll be going to college.) His orientation starts August 18. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, freesia said:

My kid’s colleges close the dorms for Thanksgiving. So if kid is staying in a dorm make sure they can stay over. 

His would stay open, just no food available. He is very good at surviving on dry rations 🙂 

Edited: 

His is an apartment and would stay open for thanksgiving, winter break and spring break. There would be food.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Wow, that’s awful. What happens to kids with no place to go?

I don’t know. I thinks it’s bad, too. I know it’s not the only school that does this. I think some arrangement is made for the international students. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

No planning required here as Dd will be just 90 minutes drive away and has a vehicle. Thankful that she will be close! 

Discovered tonight that an acquaintance from church has a Dd at Dd’s uni. They will meet at an EC that they have in common.  Hooray for connections!

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2