Menu

College Class of 2027 - Rising Sophomores - Check in Here

mlktwins

Less than a week for move in here. The freshman and new transfers move in a week before and school starts on 21st. She has a good friend group through the summer program and we have moved all her stuff in her room after the summer program. She has her schedule and all classes start at 10 or later though she still wants to change one when the ads/drop period opens this week. 
All the best to the freshmen!!!! 

• Like 5

We have had a bit of a crazy summer traveling so I have been a bit MIA. Dd and dh leave in the morning to head up, spend a few days with family a few hours away and then I leave Thursday and will meet up Friday night ready to move her in Saturday morning. I can't believe the time is already here. dd did online orientation and is rooming with an upperclassman from the powerlifting team that she met visiting the school. 

We also started back to homeschool this week for the other two yesterday. Ugh it is hard! Homeschooling has always included her and it felt so weird yesterday to take first day of school pics without her... also, she will be 14/15 hours away and I am feeling the sadness right now. 

On another note, why does she need so much stuff??!! I just don't remember going away with 1/3 of all of this lol. I hope it all fits. 🤪

• Like 6

4 hours ago, ByGrace3 said:

We have had a bit of a crazy summer traveling so I have been a bit MIA. Dd and dh leave in the morning to head up, spend a few days with family a few hours away and then I leave Thursday and will meet up Friday night ready to move her in Saturday morning. I can't believe the time is already here. dd did online orientation and is rooming with an upperclassman from the powerlifting team that she met visiting the school. 

We also started back to homeschool this week for the other two yesterday. Ugh it is hard! Homeschooling has always included her and it felt so weird yesterday to take first day of school pics without her... also, she will be 14/15 hours away and I am feeling the sadness right now. 

On another note, why does she need so much stuff??!! I just don't remember going away with 1/3 of all of this lol. I hope it all fits. 🤪

I can’t get ds to engage with what he wants to bring! This is actually good bc I forgot that we don’t have the van anymore and everyone wants to come. His older sis in particular bc she didn’t get the family move in day as she went to university in Canada during Covid and family friends moved her in. 

• Like 3

Lots of last minute packing here. DH is driving DS out tomorrow; move-in day is Thursday and he signed up for an early morning slot. Classes start the 14th. I am staying home with DD as she didn't want to miss two days of school. DS is sad about leaving his high school friend group - most are staying in state but he is not. I am also sad.  He is *only* going 4 hours away but still. 

On the bright side, he has a bike reserved through the free rental program on campus and is excited about that. He also has a pretty nice schedule - no classes before 9:40 and Fridays free. I just really hope he finds his people. 

• Like 5

dd and dh left this morning. my ydd and I are not ok. I leave tomorrow after co-op to drive up and meet them...but the whole concept of her not here is breaking my heart. I am super excited for her but...ugh this is hard. She is just so far away. I never thought that would matter as much as it does. I may have to push a bit for the next two to stay closer to home. lol

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

3 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

we have yet to do this! gosh. 

Most people don’t need a TB test though. Make sure he is required to do it before going through the hassle. We were going to do the skin prick test at our nearby Sutter walk in clinic but was advised that the BCG vaccination can lead to a false positive even after many negative TB tests. So we opt for the TB QuantiFERON blood test and that took a week for results to be posted on his health portal. 

26 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Most people don’t need a TB test though. Make sure he is required to do it before going through the hassle. We were going to do the skin prick test at our nearby Sutter walk in clinic but was advised that the BCG vaccination can lead to a false positive even after many negative TB tests. So we opt for the TB QuantiFERON blood test and that took a week for results to be posted on his health portal. 

Mine needs it as well. 

1 minute ago, Roadrunner said:

Mine needs it as well. 

If you have a Labcorp or Quest Diagnostic lab walk-in nearby, you can ask his general practitioner to order the test for those and he can just get it done there. Save you going for another office visit. 

3 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

If you have a Labcorp or Quest Diagnostic lab walk-in nearby, you can ask his general practitioner to order the test for those and he can just get it done there. Save you going for another office visit. 

We have Kaiser so I have to haul myself 1.5 hours north to get this done. It’s OK. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

We have Kaiser so I have to haul myself 1.5 hours north to get this done. It’s OK. 

Have you asked your local Health Department?  Ours did one for very cheap.  They don't file with insurance, but it was so cheap I didn't care.  Plus you have to go 2x- once fir the injection and once for them to see the skin.  

• Thanks 1

We moved Dd into the dorm today. I am a little weepy, but not falling apart. 🙂🥲

Her room is small, but her stuff fit fine and looks cute. She and her roommate are very different, but alike in that they are introverted (roommate very, Dd moderately) and will use the room as a place of retreat and quiet and recharging. There is a week until classes begin and students will be moving in throughout the weekend. We did a quick WM run for a few things, and had a yummy lunch at a Thai place close to campus. 

It rained lightly all day until late afternoon, which made the day a bit less fun. Dh had not seen the school until today, so he enjoyed getting to walk around the campus. 

I am glad that she is spreading her wings, but also glad that she is only 90 minutes from home. 

• Like 8

Extreme business is happily getting in the way of all the things to think and feel about youngest heading out in two weeks. She seems to be mostly on track with lists and gathering what she needs. I think we will stop halfway at oldest's house rather than drive the 18 hours straight through.  

• Like 4

5 days to go. We are going to my mom’s for a couple of days. We had to move our trip because the kids had colds. When we return we will have two full days to get ready. It should be fine. When dd went to Canada during Covid, we mostly ordered from Amazon so I don’t to have the feeling we need to make sure he has everything. I’m beginning to “wake up” from being consumed by the move, though, and realizing that I will miss him. He’s been a bit of a pill this summer—he did not want to move—but he is a good kid. I’m just so happy for him going away. He was my most impacted by Covid kid and I just hope he gets a strong friend group and has a wonderful time. ( And keeps on top of his classes.)

• Like 4

I cannot believe I am 4 days away from heading out with my first for move-in. We are going up the night before and are planning to enjoy a nice dinner and will be meeting with his roommate and his parents for ice cream after. We move in at 8 am the next day and will vacate the room by 11 for his roommate to get his stuff moved in. The 3 of us will go to a nice lunch and shop if we are need something and then go back to finish anything that didn't get done. DH is planning to leave early and I said I was glad we are taking 2 cars 😁. I won't be rushed, but will leave when I know it is time. Well before dinner for sure as they start activities and RA meetings and stuff at that point. I want to make sure everything is put away or it will never get done -- LOL.

DS2 heads to his school 5 days later so, while I have gotten what I need for him, I probably won't fully pack his stuff until I get back from JMU. This one will be easier to leave as I will have already been through it once and I know I will see this kid a week and a half later as he is coming home for Labor Day weekend.

Now off to Target to return stuff I don't need and get stuff I am missing from my lists 🤪.

Good luck everyone!

• Like 5

If you are shipping things, check out Parcel Monkey.  We are shipping a medium adult sized bike (boxed) cross-country. We priced all the well known parcel shippers, prices ranged from $275-475.  Parcel Monkey gave us a price of $100 using one of well known shippers ..

• Like 1

Well he finally started packing lol. We leave early Friday morning. Fortunately sister just went to Walmart and we are texting her things he needs. He’s a bit hopeless, though. What do I pack in? (Suitcases or bins) Where are they ( in the basement or really all over the house bc we just moved)Oh, it says I need a garbage can. Where do I get one? ( How about the one in the middle of your bedroom? Looks startled. Oh, ok!)

I really did try with this kid. Really future daughter in law I did. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Drop off went great. We connected with the family of another boy we know who’s starting at the same school. That boy seemed on the ball about things like the calculus readiness test ( which ds must remember to go to bc he has already had calc and will be doing it again. Doing pre-calc instead would not be good). Hopefully friend will help ds be aware of things he needs to do. For goodness sake the last thing he asked me was when dinner was. 😂  It’s all out of my hands now!  I already miss him but he’s going to have so much fun. 

• Like 5

Drop off was soooooo much less painful than I expected. We finished the room set-up decor in about two hours and left her to finish unpacking clothes on her own. Honestly, I was surprised at how emotional/anxious she has been. I can’t show my own vulnerability so as not to feed hers. I saved it for DH. I am so impressed by all the ways they are working to draw students out of their shells this week. Our work is done tomorrow. I’m sad to go home minus my kid but know she’ll be ok.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Drop off was soooooo much less painful than I expected. We finished the room set-up decor in about two hours and left her to finish unpacking clothes on her own. Honestly, I was surprised at how emotional/anxious she has been. I can’t show my own vulnerability so as not to feed hers. I saved it for DH. I am so impressed by all the ways they are working to draw students out of their shells this week. Our work is done tomorrow. I’m sad to go home minus my kid but know she’ll be ok.

They do a great job of connecting the kids and have a lot planned the first couple of weeks. Basically they don't have time to get homesick :). It actually feels weird that L just needs to move back in, with NO extra planned stuff after the first and second years!

• Like 6

He made it to the readiness test! He said it was fine. His roommate has arrived. He says he seems nice. And that’s all I’ve got 😂 He continues to be a man of few words. I’m going to text him once a day and then see if he wants to talk or FaceTime the first day of class. My bff says she gives herself two weeks to text everyday and then backs off. That’s what I’ve done ( well except the first ten days ds1 was on a wilderness thing.)

• Like 5

On 8/16/2023 at 5:41 PM, ScoutTN said:

Dd has had fun all week. Welcome events of various kinds, found the indie bookstores and the not-Starbucks coffee shops, went to church, bought a rug, got MS Office installed on her laptop, etc. Classes begin tomorrow.  

Mad success!

Edited by Eos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Eos said:

The living room is currently dd's hunting-gathering staging area, which is endlessly delightful to the cats.  You bought us a tote?  You give us this rug?  What good humans!

Same.  🤣  We also aquired a kitten a couple weeks ago so that is making the pack up extra crazy.  I think karma knew I needed a new baby to love. 😍 It was almost certainly dumped at 8-10 weeks in a wooded park.  We did chip check, etc.  We have 2 adult cats that are official box inspectors too.  

We are leaving Tues.  Kid got last orientation session so she is moving in early and there is parent stuff for 2 days too.  She is in Chicago and my new college grad is coming too so it should be fun (DH staying home this time).  We will also be stopping on the way back to look at apartments for him (DH will meet us for that part of the journey).   He JUST got his first job - so exciting.  🥳

I hope we will head back for parent weekend in October.  We may try taking the train for that trip.  

• Like 6

How is everyone doing? I am not sure yet, lol. dd seems to be doing well. She texts and facetimes every day but seems to be making friends and staying busy. She is an athlete so a lot of her time is consumed with her team and sport. She is coming off an injury and just cleared to come back next week so she is a little stressed about that...I am excited but nervous for her. We are meeting up a few hours away for her next month because dh has a conference and I am tagging along-- mostly to see her lol. I just miss her. 

• Like 6

Mine just moved in yesterday and starts class tomorrow.  I'm really excited for her- no tears!  She's not too far away and her campus is small and homey.  I think she will come home most weekends for now- not a lot going on on campus and it's going to be 100+ all week, so probably too much time in her dorm (she's a farm kid used to being outside).  

• Like 6

I am relieved that she’s not emailed or texted yet. When she’s bored or not engaged she texts and emails constantly. I am concerned that she’s left a good relationship that may not survive her spreading her wings. I think most of her texts and emails are engaged in maintaining that bond. It both troubles me and pleases me A) that she is able to be present for her partner and B) that she may not see that she needs the time and space to slip into her full self unencumbered. She’s got the tools to navigate these waters. We just hope she uses them wisely. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

Anybody has a good suggestion for a vacuum cleaner for the dorm? 

I like my dirt devil for spot cleaning and because it takes up a small footprint when not in used. I use it as a hand vac and floor vac. 

https://www.amazon.com/Dirt-Devil-Simpli-Stik-Lightweight-SD20000RED/dp/B002KCO96C

However, if your son’s dorm room has more space to spare, I personally prefer the bagged vacuum types because emptying the bagless vacuum means that some dust might end up back in the air. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Mine isn’t leaving for another month. We just started shopping for him. It’s going to be hard without him. 

My kid’s orientation is next week. We are mostly done with shopping for things we are bringing from home. We’ll do a Target, Daiso, Costco run after he moves in and knows for sure how much space he has. The residential office has vacuums to loan so we’ll wait to see if he needs a personal vacuum before buying.

• Like 3

On 8/20/2023 at 10:33 PM, Sneezyone said:

I am relieved that she’s not emailed or texted yet. When she’s bored or not engaged she texts and emails constantly. I am concerned that she’s left a good relationship that may not survive her spreading her wings. I think most of her texts and emails are engaged in maintaining that bond. It both troubles me and pleases me A) that she is able to be present for her partner and B) that she may not see that she needs the time and space to slip into her full self unencumbered. She’s got the tools to navigate these waters. We just hope she uses them wisely. 

I have these same concerns for dd.  She's begun a wonderful relationship this year with a lovely person and I fear their bond is so strong it will preclude dd from being fully present in her college experience.  But at the end of the day, I guess that's just my fear and her reality to sort out.  

• Like 3

I got my first call yesterday. In a frantically delivered data download, I heard:

The ramen packs from the Asian market you gave me are killer! (send more). MOM: No. Find a local dealer/supplier.🤣

Also, she did a thing and applied for a parking pass, found a Target and Publix so WINNING!

Oh! Do I think she should put the student driver magnets back on her car b/c she got honked at multiple times. This is stressful!

Floor mates keep laughing at me (read: find me hilarious) but I’m just being myself. SQUIRREL!

The dining hall closes early so she’s gonna go put food in her Tupperware for later and do you know that thing EXPANDS and holds A LOT?!

OK, thx!! LUV U BYE!

Srsly. This kid will be loved or reviled. There’s no in between. All in all, good things are afoot.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

The ramen packs from the Asian market you gave me are killer! (send more). MOM: No. Find a local dealer/supplier.🤣

When I was in college in the early 90s, friends of friends would come knocking on my dorm room door to ask if they can buy a spare pack of ramen from me. What was funny was my friends joking told their friends the going rate was 20 cents per pack (single) so that was what they gave me per pack. The cup noodles version were 30 cents going rate.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

When I was in college in the early 90s, friends of friends would come knocking on my dorm room door to ask if they can buy a spare pack of ramen from me. What was funny was my friends joking told their friends the going rate was 20 cents per pack (single) so that was what they gave me per pack. The cup noodles version were 30 cents going rate.

😂. DD got the connoisseur mix of wheat and rice noodles (there might’ve been a sweet potato one too), Vietnamese, Thai, Korean, and Japanese flavors. Bestie said they are ‘expensive’ ($2/ea) near her but I found ‘em for 50 cents a pop at my local spot. Bestie is convinced they ‘fell’ off the back of a truck. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Arrival at college breakdown number 1: 

We had a 13 hour mostly beautiful drive with good spirits then a full-on sobbing meltdown in our B&B with dd saying she doesn't want to be here, she needs to be home...I said let's just get through one day and revisit, you need sleep, more protein, lots of water, no more driving, and sleep. I told her both older sister and brother felt and said the exact same things, she is not alone, and that she's allowed to feel and express her fear and grief - I don't take it as ungrateful.  This is a girl who is always all-in, never middle of the road.  So we'll do the orientation things today and look for nice people to attach ourselves to and keep checking in, but I admit I did look up the tuition insurance program...

• Sad 7

1 hour ago, Eos said:

Arrival at college breakdown number 1: 

We had a 13 hour mostly beautiful drive with good spirits then a full-on sobbing meltdown in our B&B with dd saying she doesn't want to be here, she needs to be home...I said let's just get through one day and revisit, you need sleep, more protein, lots of water, no more driving, and sleep. I told her both older sister and brother felt and said the exact same things, she is not alone, and that she's allowed to feel and express her fear and grief - I don't take it as ungrateful.  This is a girl who is always all-in, never middle of the road.  So we'll do the orientation things today and look for nice people to attach ourselves to and keep checking in, but I admit I did look up the tuition insurance program...

Oh, poor girl!  Change is so hard.  Even good and exciting change.  

Hope she feels better after a good night's sleep.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So this one is my first who has barely communicated anything. ( except he did communicate that he passed his calc readiness test) Otherwise, he answers texts with as few words as possible. I finally decided to give him space and didn’t text from Weds to Sat. He did text his sister a pic of bubble tea—no words. So, we know he’s alive, getting out of his dorm room and hydrating 😂. Anyhow, I texted him yesterday asking for a short FaceTime today (he isn’t a huge fan of video calls so I told him it could be short.) Ten! hours later he replied he’d be happy to so I’ll get to talk to him today. This kid is going to be the death of me. 

My second went back to college yesterday so I just have one at home now. It’s going to be so strange. 

• Like 6

Mine has mandatory sexual harassment training he hasn’t done. He has placement tests to do, he hasn’t done. There are transcript issues still. And no, we don’t yet know when he lives in or who his roommates are. He is supposed to be moving in sometime at of September, so less than a month. Meanwhile public school here started first week of August. It’s a bit nuts. Frankly, I want a redo of this entire journey. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, JennyD said:

Oh, poor girl!  Change is so hard.  Even good and exciting change.  

Hope she feels better after a good night's sleep.  

Much better!  Her quote: "thriving, hydrated, nourished, in my lane"

I closed the tuition insurance browser, hope I didn't jinx it!

• Like 9