Menu

On this day 35 years ago, I married my best friend.

Faith-manor

And I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

We are not doing anything special. It has been such a whirlwind of activity since Baby T was born premature, and then losing Baby A, and then volunteering at American Rocketry Challenge, then pulling off a wedding in a week for honorary kids, that we decided we were too tired to add something else to the schedule. We have a nice North Carolina vacation coming up in July so we will do some celebrating then.

Last night we cooked together, made a very scrumptious meal, and I set the table with left over lace from my wedding dress, our cake topper, two silk flower arrangements from our reception, and the commemorative glass we have from the restaurant where Mark proposed.

Now we are eating quiche, and watching a movie.

He is still my very best friend.

• Like 40

14 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

AWWW, Happy Anniversary.  What a milestone to hit 35 years!! Incredible.  Soon it will be 50!  

How special that you have all that stuff from your wedding.  And that is so neat you turned the lace from your dress into a tablecloth.

My mom designed and made my dress. She bought an extra yard and half of the bodice lace in case she made an error so I turned it into a table runner, a pull it out on anniversaries when we plan to stay home instead of eat out.

Our table topper is a funny story. Neither of us wanted one. Everyone we knew in the 80's had one of those cheap looking bride and groom plastic things on their cakes, and we didn't like them at all. Our cake was a simple 4 tier cake with butter cream frosting, simple edging, and then primarily decorated with flowers. That wad all we wanted. Heavily decorated cakes were so expensive, and my parents couldn't afford a huge, elaborate cake. But my mom and paternal grandmother just got really snarky and insistent that it wasn't going to be a true wedding cake unless it had a topper. So since mom was slaving over my dress, and my grandmother was making all the bridesmaid dresses, I decided to humor them with conditions. Whatever we picked went wherever we wanted it, and not necessarily on top. No opinions from the peanut gallery on what we chose. One weekend Mark and I were walking around a quaint town near our Alma Mater, and saw a ceramics store and thought maybe we would find something in there. Sure enough there was a tasteful, bride and groom about 4" tall maybe 5 at most. We bought it, prepped it on the spot, had it glazed and fired in ivory, and picked it up a week later. Mom and grandma were delighted when they saw it. I have never seen anything like it in any cake store/bakery since, so I think it is pretty unique. Between tier two and three, there was a set of pillars to raise up the other 2 tiers. We nestled the figurine among the flowers there, and left the top the way we wanted it with a floral arrangement.

• Like 7

@Faith-manorIt's gorgeous!  We still have some of our wedding stuff too (36 years) - napkins, matches, invites, unity candle, and a few other things.  I pull the napkins out on our anniversary but they are a weird material and not really good for real napkin use.  Nothing as pretty as what you posted.  I love that you did that to make a simple celebration more special.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kassia said:

@Faith-manorIt's gorgeous!  We still have some of our wedding stuff too (36 years) - napkins, matches, invites, unity candle, and a few other things.  I pull the napkins out on our anniversary but they are a weird material and not really good for real napkin use.  Nothing as pretty as what you posted.  I love that you did that to make a simple celebration more special.

Thanks! I wish we had our wedding photos digitized. I would post a couple. But, we have never scanned them. We really should. We have all the proofs, but only one enlargement because money was super tight, and my folks could not afford to pay for any photography. Mark's didn't care to have photos. They were only willing to hang paintings. Ha ha, like we could afford to sit for a portrait! It would nice now tot take the time to scan them, and then actually have a few printed.

12 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Thanks! I wish we had our wedding photos digitized.

Ours aren't either.  And most of ours are terrible so we wouldn't bother anyway.  Too funny about sitting for a portrait!  😂  You definitely should get some of yours printed!  

• Like 1