Menu

Mother of four shot and killed by neighbor after dispute over tablet

MercyA

This is so messed up. Some kids were playing in a grassy area in their Florida neighborhood last Friday evening. One of the children left his tablet in the area. When he went back to get it, he found that a neighbor had taken it. This woman apparently considered the grassy area hers and regularly harassed children playing there. (There are police reports of her doing so.) The child told his mother, who went to the woman's house to find out what happened. The woman shot the mother through the door and she died outside in front of her children.

Video from the slain mother's cousin:

Article about the shooting:

https://www.ocala.com/story/news/local/2023/06/05/sheriff-urges-patience-family-community-cries-for-justice-for-victim/70289542007/

The shooter has been released and has not yet been charged.

ETA: The cousin uses the word "unalived" in her video to keep the video from being automatically flagged and removed.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 21

• MercyA changed the title to Mother of four shot and killed by neighbor after dispute over tablet

No charges????????  WTF?  That better change. 

Our society is so messed up.  I don't even know what to say other than that.  I am being broken by all of this.    I just can't even imagine how people think shooting people like this is ok or justified?   Guns are a problem for sure and I want that to change and have laws to protect people so these things don't keep happening.  But we also need to teach people about right and wrong. You don't shoot someone for a tablet, for knocking on your door, for getting in to your car on accident, and for all the other reasons people are KILLING other people.  

I just read about this one yesterday. 

Grandmother shares grief, anger after 1-year-old shot and killed (wafb.com)

• Sad 10

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Our society is so messed up.  I don't even know what to say other than that.  I am being broken by all of this.    I just can't even imagine how people think shooting people like this is ok or justified?   Guns are a problem for sure and I want that to change and have laws to protect people so these things don't keep happening.  But we also need to teach people about right and wrong. You don't shoot someone for a tablet, for knocking on your door, for getting in to your car on accident, and for all the other reasons people are KILLING other people.  

I just read about this one yesterday. 

Grandmother shares grief, anger after 1-year-old shot and killed (wafb.com)

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 That precious baby! Every day it gets worse and worse trying to come with the will to stay in the country. The thing is. We could go live in Costa Rica or Belize, easily. But, it means abandoning what is now 11 adult children (four biological, two by marriage, two "adopted" honorary and their spouses, and what appears 3 new young adults without family who have newly adopted us as parents) plus 3 grandsons to this horror show because they can't get out, and we are not willing to leave them.

I really am getting good with a more hermit lifestyle. Just gather my chickadees, enjoy nature, garden, hike, kayak, camp, sail, and shun society. We are voting exclusively by mail now because the NRA nutters are now engaging in voter intimidation in our county and no one will do anything about it. Apart from a once a month foray into a supermarket, and some occasional trips to the AutoZone and our tire place, since we have a drive through pharmacy, I could really manage a homestead lifestyle, and that is beginning to look very appealing.

I just want to hug this family. So much unnecessary, criminal heartbreak, and a baby gone. Whoever the monster is that did it, I hope he/she rots in prison in a metaphorical hell of his/her own making.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

This is so horrible.

It really seems like some people are hoping for an excuse to murder humans they don't like. These doorstep murders read to me like a trap: "Ah ha! There you are on my property. Now it's within the law to finally kill you!" -- is that a possibility?

Also, there must be something about either guns or doors that I don't understand.

I have used rifles for target shooting as a teen. The bullets pass through a piece of paper, then are stopped by some sort of backing: heavy fabric, or a piece of wood or something. We were warned of the danger of causing a ricochet off the walls (wood?) if our aim was really that bad. It must really be a different kind of gun that can pass a bullet *through* a (solid wood?) door, and still have the momentum to kill someone.

Can someone more acquainted with guns help me out? Is this a special gun? Special bullets? Other than the capacity to shoot straight through solid wood, what is their intended and/or legitimate design/function? In buying this kind of gun, does a person seem to express that they anticipate (?) the 'door between me and the target' scenario?

Also, with this kind of gun, what else becomes possible? (Someone outside your home shooting in (not just through windows)? Shooting through vehicles?) Does hiding under desks or getting out of a room with a gun-wielding attacker do no good at all? This is changing quite a lot of my thinking about guns as tools of violence.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 That precious baby! Every day it gets worse and worse trying to come with the will to stay in the country. The thing is. We could go live in Costa Rica or Belize, easily. But, it means abandoning what is now 11 adult children (four biological, two by marriage, two "adopted" honorary and their spouses, and what appears 3 new young adults without family who have newly adopted us as parents) plus 3 grandsons to this horror show because they can't get out, and we are not willing to leave them.

I really am getting good with a more hermit lifestyle. Just gather my chickadees, enjoy nature, garden, hike, kayak, camp, sail, and shun society. We are voting exclusively by mail now because the NRA nutters are now engaging in voter intimidation in our county and no one will do anything about it. Apart from a once a month foray into a supermarket, and some occasional trips to the AutoZone and our tire place, since we have a drive through pharmacy, I could really manage a homestead lifestyle, and that is beginning to look very appealing.

I just want to hug this family. So much unnecessary, criminal heartbreak, and a baby gone. Whoever the monster is that did it, I hope he/she rots in prison in a metaphorical hell of his/her own making.

Can I come join you?  We will just start a giant nonviolent commune.  

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

In a press conference the sheriff said they can't file charges until they find out "if deadly force was justified." As if there are any circumstances that would ever justify killing an unarmed woman standing outside your closed front door!

He also said the victim should have called police instead of going to retrieve the iPad herself — like the police would have done anything but laugh if a resident called and said "my neighbor took my kids' iPad, can you go get it for us?" SMDH

• Like 6
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 9

39 minutes ago, bolt. said:

have used rifles for target shooting as a teen. The bullets pass through a piece of paper, then are stopped by some sort of backing: heavy fabric, or a piece of wood or something. We were warned of the danger of causing a ricochet off the walls (wood?) if our aim was really that bad. It must really be a different kind of gun that can pass a bullet *through* a (solid wood?) door, and still have the momentum to kill someone.

The end of gun ranges backstopped by a piece of heavy fabric in front of 12 feet or so of mulched rubber, surrounded by cinder block filled with cement, not just a piece of heavy fabric.   Most front doors are hollow wood, no match for even a simple hand gun.  

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

In a press conference the sheriff said they can't file charges until they find out "if deadly force was justified." As if there are any circumstances that would ever justify killing an unarmed woman standing outside your closed front door!

He also said the victim should have called police instead of going to retrieve the iPad herself — like the police would have done anything but laugh if a resident called and said "my neighbor took my kids' iPad, can you go get it for us?" SMDH

So the police are acknowledging that we currently live in a country where knocking on a neighbors door is a dangerous activity?  And that we should be so afraid of people knocking on our door that we should just shoot them through the door, because knocking is such deranged anti social behavior.   🙄🙄.    

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 10

10 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

In the video she says that the woman opened the door and shot the other woman. In that case, she knew exactly who was at her door.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I reacted with a sad emoji, but I needed a mad emoji. It makes no sense. I was in a rural area on Saturday, and missed my turn. The only place to turn around was at the end of someone's long gravel driveway. I did it, but was praying the whole time that I wasn't putting my life at risk. It is crazy.

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

What a truly bizarre world we are in now! And ya, bwahahahahahaha, sure the police will respond to, 'The neighbor took our tablet" call. Dry that out, you can fertilize the garden with it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Can I come join you?  We will just start a giant nonviolent commune.  

Yes. We should band together and have a hive, safety community where people can knock on each other's doors and share a cup of tea, ride bikes, admire gardens, share fruit trees, enjoy the neighborhood free of fear. I would love that. And all our grandkids can run feral and play because they don't have to worry about being snatched, preyed on, or shot by the crazy loon down the street. Boy, I would love that!!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Yes. We should band together and have a hive, safety community where people can knock on each other's doors and share a cup of tea, ride bikes, admire gardens, share fruit trees, enjoy the neighborhood free of fear. I would love that. And all our grandkids can run feral and play because they don't have to worry about being snatched, preyed on, or shot by the crazy loon down the street. Boy, I would love that!!

That sounds like heaven!

• Like 3

We used to have that kind of a neighbor (not next door--across the street and one house to the right), and he was scary. Some people would approach and talk to him, but I saw him be so mean to kids whose ball went into his yard that we told the kids to stay away and NEVER go near his yard. We knew he was mentally ill as a result of a physical issue gone awry. I can't imagine if he was just a random horrible person. 

It's seriously impressive to me that neighbors tried to do CPR on this woman after she was shot (I think that's what the video said anyway). Wow. 

• Like 1

I listened to the first 2 minutes and that's all because it's so depressing.  This white woman obviously has mental illness (grassy area is hers).  But, it's irresponsible of authorities for not taking the previous call ins on this woman as a credible threat.  

So very sad......

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sheryl said:

I listened to the first 2 minutes and that's all because it's so depressing.  This white woman obviously has mental illness (grassy area is hers).  But, it's irresponsible of authorities for not taking the previous call ins on this woman as a credible threat.  

So very sad......

Can I be real for a minute?? ...excusing every racist who kills somebody of a different race/ethnicity as mentally ill is an injustice to those who suffer with ACTUAL, DIAGNOSED mental illnesses and are a threat more to themselves than others. It's also a cop out. There's nothing 'obvious' about her health...just her racism.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 10

Susan Lorincz has finally been arrested; she's charged with manslaughter plus assault & battery on the children. I hope they add hate crime charges, given that she has a history of yelling racial slurs at the children.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 22

These incidents are just happening more often in many different locations and settings.  I still say it's just a matter of time before anyone is in an active shooter/crossfire situation if you haven't experienced it yet.  And I sometimes think, if it is not me, the odds are good it will be one of my children because I have four.  

How horrible. Over a tablet.  

We've been having shootings in my more rural Illinois county. There is a particular town with a reputation for drugs/crime.  I still need to go to this town every so often.  One of the locals posts all of the incidents that happen there from various reports.  This isn't Chicago, but that doesn't matter anymore.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Susan Lorincz has finally been arrested; she's charged with manslaughter plus assault & battery on the children. I hope they add hate crime charges, given that she has a history of yelling racial slurs at the children.

Throw.the.book. Every possible charge. Of course a white judge is likely to let her serve them concurrently instead of consecutively. This crappy "reduction" in time served is often conferred upon white defendants while p.o.c. get slammed with consecutive sentences, and it just p!sses me off which is just an understatement of the rage I feel!!

I want this woman to just rot in prison.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Jaybee said:

I reacted with a sad emoji, but I needed a mad emoji. It makes no sense. I was in a rural area on Saturday, and missed my turn. The only place to turn around was at the end of someone's long gravel driveway. I did it, but was praying the whole time that I wasn't putting my life at risk. It is crazy.

For decades I've had this strange fear in the back of my mind when I had to to this. I don't know where it came from but I had a slight paranoia that I would be shot for trespassing. Now it doesn't feel so strange to be afraid. 

Also, now that there's been a shooting at a high school graduation, it reminded me of being at a high school awards ceremony a few weeks ago. And sitting in the crowded auditorium, I remember thinking that anyone could just start shooting all of us up.

Life in These United States, I guess. 

• Sad 9

47 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Throw.the.book. Every possible charge. Of course a white judge is likely to let her serve them concurrently instead of consecutively. This crappy "reduction" in time served is often conferred upon white defendants while p.o.c. get slammed with consecutive sentences, and it just p!sses me off which is just an understatement of the rage I feel!!

I want this woman to just rot in prison.

It's Florida, stand your ground law. I'm not very hopeful. Remember the killing of Trayvon Martin and the acquittal of his murderer? 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

re fear of turning around in a stranger's driveway

5 minutes ago, OH_Homeschooler said:

For decades I've had this strange fear in the back of my mind when I had to to this. I don't know where it came from but I had a slight paranoia that I would be shot for trespassing. Now it doesn't feel so strange to be afraid. 

Also, now that there's been a shooting at a high school graduation, it reminded me of being at a high school awards ceremony a few weeks ago. And sitting in the crowded auditorium, I remember thinking that anyone could just start shooting all of us up.

Life in These United States, I guess. 

[not directing my frustration *at you* -- your post merely evokes a frustration I have with All Of Us.]

I think as a society we DO know where such fear "comes from." I think -- fundamentally -- we know that such fear reflects

1. the ubiquity of guns,
  2. the thin-skinned Don't Tread On Me irritation that has long been celebrated as our national identity, coupled with
  3. public policies such as Stand Your Ground laws that pretty much ensure that anyone who DOES shoot someone turning around in their driveway will be exonerated in the unlikely event that they are even charged.

We.Know.This.

We KNOW this.

Our collective response -- our collective unwillingness to act, indifference amounts to ratification, demonstrates that life in this country isn't valued as highly as those three factors are valued.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

These incidents are just happening more often in many different locations and settings.  I still say it's just a matter of time before anyone is in an active shooter/crossfire situation if you haven't experienced it yet.  And I sometimes think, if it is not me, the odds are good it will be one of my children because I have four.  

I’ve been thinking about this.  I oscillate between feeling like I should prepare somehow and not wanting to live in fear.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

I’ve been thinking about this.  I oscillate between feeling like I should prepare somehow and not wanting to live in fear.

Same. I think where I fall is that of caution. We can't utterly avoid population. But, we are carving out a life, until things change, that avoids things like Wal-Mart, malls, churches, schools, and just limiting our forays into crowded areas, and shopping at low population hours. It doesn't mean we won't experience a shooting. But it makes us feel better to be a bit more people skittish. I am good with all of our hiking, kayaking, sailing, lake swimming, not eating out, grocery shopping in larger amounts so we run to the store less. We both want to renew our classical series membership for the DSO. Classical music is of course my first passion. But, heading into Detroit at night, and congregating with several hundred people for a concert feels like a truly stupid thing to do, and I HATE that feeling. I shouldn't have to think about being maimed or dying just from choosing to go listen to Mahler, and I should be able to support the orchestra without fear! Yet, the powers that be do not give a damn. Governor Whitmer is trying, but I am almost certain the new Red Flag law won't stand supreme court muster given who sits on that bench. Sigh. And of course it takes a long time for an entrenched society to change egocentric when laws are enacted so we are talking about no changes bringing about substantial improvement for several years. Ugh.

I am trying to get our bachelor sons to change their shopping habits. They love to walk, and the Meijer near their apartment is just two blocks away. So they often walk to do their grocery shopping, and just take their wagon for hauling stuff. But that place is a madhouse and a prime target for someone wanting to inflict maximum damage. I would rather they drive go Aldi because it never has more than ten or twelve shoppers at a time. Not that this is a guarantee. It just FEELS better to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Starr said:

I don't think we can determine safe or not safe places. You don't know if a person that worked at Aldi is on a rampage anymore than at a school or a concert. 😞

I agree. I said it makes me FEEL better, proactive. It isn't actually increasing the odds on safety unless one does avoid population centers, and gatherings of humans.

• Like 1