Menu

Tshirt question (adult content/language)

Tap

This  is a lighthearted post!!! I am not overly invested in this topic. Just a curiosity of how others think. 

I was talking to a man today who often wears humorous shirts. They were thinking about ordering a “DILF” shirt. (Dad I would Like to F@@@ if you don’t know the acronym). I said it would say more about the woman he was with in public, than him. And he should consider her feelings if she likes him wearing it or not. She is ok with his other silly shirts. He was confused by my statement. He said it was about the man 100%. 

What do you think. Does a DILF shirt or MILF shirt say more about the person wearing it, or the other part of the couple? 

Once I equated it to wearing a shirt that said “hottie” or “ sexy” he changed his mind on buying it, but it left me wondering what others would think. 

Edited by Tap

Just now, katilac said:

I can see how a person might not like their s/o wearing such a shirt, but I'm puzzled as to how it would say more about them than the wearer. 

I think it is because it says “I like” not a general “dad women would like….”

That is part of why I have been thinking about it. Why do I so heavily weigh it towards the partner, not the one wearing it??? Even tho, the wearer is the topic. It left me kind of introspective on how I process the message. 

54 minutes ago, Tap said:

That is part of why I have been thinking about it. Why do I so heavily weigh it towards the partner, not the one wearing it??? Even tho, the wearer is the topic. It left me kind of introspective on how I process the message. 

If someone wears that into a bar when I was college age (early 90s), the implications would be that the guy is looking for a one night stand.  So if a girl was with him, people might be wondering if the girl was his one night stand.

My friends and I saw ladies wearing long T-shirts with “f@@@ me” on the back. We were wondering what would be the legal implications if someone took the wording literally. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tap said:

That is part of why I have been thinking about it. Why do I so heavily weigh it towards the partner, not the one wearing it???

Well, it does seem to be commentary on the partner's preference. Obviously they *are* partners and all that entails, but does that mean what she likes doing needs to be said, in capital letters, across her bloke's chest in public? Or doesn't she like, and the shirt is a public protest? I find it rather an invasion of mental personal space. 

@Tap, if that's not your photo, (I assume it's a stock photo,) please delete it as per board rules.

If I saw it in real life I would inwardly grimace (just because it’s not my sense of humor) and would immediately forget it. But if someone asked me in that moment what I thought, I would think that if the wearer was with a partner, that the partner gave it to them to wear so in a way it would reflect on them. If I saw the wearer with no partner I think that I would assume that the wearer was trying to pick someone up. 

• Like 1

If I saw a man wearing that shirt with a partner, I would probably feel sorry for her, unless she seemed to be the one insisting that he wear it, then I’d feel sorry for him. If I saw a guy wearing it alone, my first thought is that he’s compensating for something.

• Like 2

I understand what the words mean, but I don’t understand the sentiment. This is the first time I’ve heard that phrase. Is the “dad” being addressed or identified? In other words, is this something one partner is saying to another by giving the t-shirt or is this the “dad” identifying himself as a Dad who wants to do that?

Neither one of my options really entirely make sense to me, so if I saw it specifically states I’d think that they were communicating something about themselves, like t-shirts usually do, IME. But I’d also not know what they were trying to communicate.

With the t-shirt you showed, my mind would just translate the alphabet and try to make a word out of it or connect it to a military related acronym. 

• Like 2

I would think that it is what the man is trying to say about himself and in no way relate it to his partner. Basically he is trying to boastfully brag about himself and if he even considered his partner at all he may think that it is a compliment to her that she could get/keep a DILF. 

I base this on the following dynamic I have seen in some men: If a man considered his wife a MILF and she was wearing a shirt that said that then he might assume that that raises his status and presents him as a man who can still get or keep a woman who is still good looking after having children.  

It probably would not enter his mind at all that women do not think the same way men do and that most women would look down on him for wearing such a shirt and probably feel bad for his wife. He would not realize that he is not communicating what he think he is. 

I think that if a man was in fact a DILF, he wouldn't need to advertise it and if he was trying to advertise it then he is probably not a DILF. But again I would think that this is all about what is going on in his head and has nothing what-so-ever to do with his partner.  

• Like 3

For me, it would reflect (badly) on the person wearing the shirt. I would assume that his wife/partner bought it for him - it doesn't seem like something one buys for oneself - but I would expect it would be worn at home, not out and about. 

• Like 1

I appreciate truly witty shirts. That one . . I'd mentally roll my eyes and think the person wearing it was probably an insecure a$$hole. I don't think it would occur to me to think it had anything to do with anyone other than the wearer.

• Like 7

I don't think it says anything about the partner. To me it could say a lot about the person wearing it. Maybe he thinks highly of himself. Maybe he just likes a funny, to him, shirt. Maybe he's looking for a dilf for himself and that's his bat signal to them. 

But for the partner, it just says they're walking with a guy with a shirt on, unless I specifically knew the partner picked it out for him and wanted him to wear it. Or the partner had a similarly humored shirt.

• Like 1

The person wearing it. I'd make the same face I made a few days ago when I was in line at Tim Horton's and the entire place started snickering and  saying things like what a jerk. It was very obvious something was up but I didn't know what until I saw the man behind me was wearing a "Black Guns Matter" shirt. When he got his order and left they all started clapping. 

• Like 1

This is why I tell my kids I'm too young for R-rated stuff.  This shirt slogan is going right over my head.  Why anyone would find that funny ....

I would protest if my partner was wearing that kind of shirt in public.  I guess if I didn't protest, that would say something about me ... like ... I don't know what it means at all ... or I think it's hilarious and want to share my joy with the world ... or I don't give a flying ___ what anyone thinks about him or me.

• Like 2