Menu

What clothing brands do your teens like? Which brands / styles are trendy right now?

MercyA

Title says it all. My DD loves shopping in thrift shops and at garage sales (yay!) but I am curious about current trends and brands. Fill me in if you're in the know. This question is wide open but we are especially interested in comfy shoes, hoodies, and tees as well as some more dressy styles.

Thanks! 🙂 

Edited by MercyA

The styles that are in generally look like repeats of the 1990’s with just enough variety to show they’re new and not vintage. Mom jeans, flares or wide legs, crop tops, bare belly, anything with a little bit of cut-outs, lace, or expensive lacy sweaters that give handmade in the 1940’s vibes. The sweaters are copying a French brand Sezanne. Otherwise which brands are in seems to vary based on location IME. Except boys, who seem to wear athletic brands only. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My dc prefer clothing with no logos. I don't want to say that they are anti-designer/trendy, but these preferences speak loud to me. 🤣  It's actually pretty tough to find clothing with no logos or writing on them. I often have to hit the "work wearhouse" type of stores.

• Thanks 1

My girls are into comfy, but generally they like logoed things. My younger dd is a thrift shopper but she tends toward classic/vintage-y stuff.  My college student buys stuff at local boutiques so not much in the way of national brands really.  They both wear random thrift store T-shirts advertising random stuff.  🤪

I'm no help. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kidlit said:

My girls are into comfy, but generally they like logoed things. My younger dd is a thrift shopper but she tends toward classic/vintage-y stuff.  My college student buys stuff at local boutiques so not much in the way of national brands really.  They both wear random thrift store T-shirts advertising random stuff.  🤪

I'm no help. Lol.

This is my daughter. She likes comfy. Horses is always a win.

Princess awesome dresses (with sleeves) are a win here. Cowboy boots. Long shorts.  (Our biggest problem is finding shorts that are long enough.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

My dc prefer clothing with no logos. I don't want to say that they are anti-designer/trendy, but these preferences speak loud to me. 🤣  It's actually pretty tough to find clothing with no logos or writing on them. I often have to hit the "work wearhouse" type of stores.

DS17 wears Children Place tops (no logo) and Gap jeans (no logo). DS18’s jeans waistband area is covered by his shirt anyway so if there is a brand logo there it would not be visible. Their hoodies all don’t have logos.
Their puffer jackets are the ones with logos because those are harder to find without logos in slim fit sizing. 
My kids athletic shirts and my T-shirts have logos but we buy those where the logo blends with the T-shirts so someone had to look really hard to notice the logo. 

Where I am, North Face and Patagonia is the in thing for hoodies for kids of all ages. North Face backpacks are also common. We do have a North Face outlet store and Patagonia goes on sale at REI for past season items. There isn’t an obvious trend for tops, jeans/pants or shoes where I am for the teens and young adults other than UGGs during winter for girls. 
I prefer those where the logos (if present) are subdued and not in your face. 
e.g. 7489DCA3-7952-4FC8-8D0F-D733607BD583.jpeg.74ee56a2d0b05c09faeb5e4514f9cf0f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

DS17 wears Children Place tops (no logo) and Gap jeans (no logo). DS18’s jeans waistband area is covered by his shirt anyway so if there is a brand logo there it would not be visible. Their hoodies all don’t have logos.
Their puffer jackets are the ones with logos because those are harder to find without logos in slim fit sizing. 
My kids athletic shirts and my T-shirts have logos but we buy those where the logo blends with the T-shirts so someone had to look really hard to notice the logo. 

Where I am, North Face and Patagonia is the in thing for hoodies for kids of all ages. North Face backpacks are also common. We do have a North Face outlet store and Patagonia goes on sale at REI for past season items. There isn’t an obvious trend for tops, jeans/pants or shoes where I am for the teens and young adults other than UGGs during winter for girls. 
I prefer those where the logos (if present) are subdued and not in your face. 
e.g. 7489DCA3-7952-4FC8-8D0F-D733607BD583.jpeg.74ee56a2d0b05c09faeb5e4514f9cf0f.jpeg

We loved Children's Place, but sadly have all outgrown their clothing. 

• Like 3

This really depends on the personal style, geography and budget lol

For skater/casual/ beachy—look at brands sold by stores like Tilly.

Athletes and sport casual people like Nike, Adidas, Under Armor, Northface, Patagonia. Girls… Athleta and Lululemon

Denim is high waisted and mixed brands like Levis, American Eagle, Abercrombie etc. Look for brand ideas at Buckle.

Aside from fast fashion, just look at whatever stores in you mall the teens are at. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I buy a lot of my boys' clothes from Nordstrom Rack, Off 5th, etc. so I can keep up to date on trends without breaking the bank. But, the boys themselves don't care about fashion. They just wear what I buy, with few misses, and have never wanted to participate (I've asked -- my husband is the same). 

• Thanks 1

Giant-legged jeans topped by sweaters or sweatshirts at least three sizes too big, finished up with the biggest tennis shoes they can find (Air Force 1 Shadows or something similar, lol).

I just shake my head, lol.

A lot of girls are wearing the pleated/flared skorts from Lululemon or Aerie with a huge sweatshirt or a tiny cropped tank.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hollister is tight at the bustline for me for girls tops and dresses, and I am flat chested. My SIL likes their tops and wears women size M. We go to their outlet stores. I buy Hollister and Abercrombie long sleeve T-shirts there for sometimes $6 each from the outlet clearance racks in men and women sizes.

American eagle jeans fit my skinny and tall boys but they prefer other brands. You have to try for best fit. They have a variety of cuts for jeans.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, MercyA said:

We have no intention of giving up our thrift store or garage sale habits, but what can you tell me about these stores at my local mall--Aeropostale, Hollister, American Eagle?

Aeropostale is the lowest quality among the three. Hollister is going to fit small for M and F and is the most pricey. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

Aeropostale is the lowest quality among the three. Hollister is going to fit small for M and F and is the most pricey. 

My experience is the American Eagle is pricier than Hollister. But dd 15 likes both. 

Her favorite place to shop is Lululemon. Athletic clothing and quite expensive (I think). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DS13 ends up with a lot of American Eagle because they carry his waist size.  He doesn't wear them often, though.  The "look" at his school is pajama pants for girls and pajama pants, sweats, and gym shorts for boys. 

Kids are weird.  They have moved the 'du jour' fashions to shoes, technology, and situational specific equipment.  Like, the kids on his hockey team were all about a rather expensive stick.  One after another would show up with it until about half the team had one.  DS was not part of that half. 😄 But it's little things like that in every small group.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2023 at 4:27 PM, HomeAgain said:

Kids are weird.  They have moved the 'du jour' fashions to shoes, technology, and situational specific equipment.  Like, the kids on his hockey team were all about a rather expensive stick.  One after another would show up with it until about half the team had one.  DS was not part of that half. 😄 But it's little things like that in every small group.

Yup -- in soccer, it's cleats or, oddly enough, some sort of fancy underwear. 🤷‍♂️