Menu

Help me help myself (decorating/organizing/continued questioning)

DawnM

HA.    This is very minor but I am in the process of organizing some things and simplifying my possessions.  

We have a split king bed.   Each side has an adjustable base and can raise and lower.   It is an older brand that actually isn't even in existence anymore, so I don't know if the remotes can even be replaced.

Anyway, there is zero under bed storage.   And we used to use the adjustable feature in our last house but we haven't used it even once in the last 3 years as we have a nice sitting area in front of the master bedroom TV and just sit there and don't watch TV from bed anymore.

I am thinking of getting a simple two Twin XL frames that are tall enough to put ample storage underneath as we are feeling the need for more storage of things like extra sheets/towels/seasonal items, etc....

What do you think?   Should we switch them out?

So, something like these:

image.png.d3c31ec5b17edd885fc92a2e38493db4.png

image.thumb.png.abb9eeea495c4263a430c53b6eb77cad.png

And definitely a bed skirt of some kind.

image.thumb.png.4a57d6cc0138406a800a29ff00897cba.png

Will I regret it or do you think I will love it?   I think I will love it, but then I am a very bad decision maker.

I DO NOT want a heavy wood frame with built in drawers underneath unless it comes apart easily and it easy to transport.   These I could even bring up the stairs myself after they are taken apart, which is more of what I would like to have I think.

• Like 1

Our mattress is on a bed frame like that with no springs, etc - but the mattress is very tall - 12" maybe. If a mattress that thin would be comfortable long term is the question - otherwise the entire bed would be high and hard to get into (not out of though!).  We had that situation for a while, and it was very difficult for me to get in (awkward mostly), so maybe check some heights before you go that way.  I'm slightly above average height for a female, and my husband is slightly above average height for a male, but he had no problems getting in. 

Will you find the under bed storage useful? With my bad knees, I find I much prefer knee level or above storage as it requires less effort on my part if it is going to be used often. That squatting thing doesn't happen here any more. 

I personally hate stuff being stored under the bed. It makes it hard to vacuum and then I feel like I’m sleeping over a dust cave. Dh doesn’t agree so we have stuff there anyway 😕 I always wake up feeling stuffy. But if you do want storage that’s does look like and option that would work well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

You can also try purchasing bed risers. There are a variety of heights you can get. They are pretty amazing to creating more space under the bed. We used to use these under all our beds.

Utopia Bedding - Bed Raiser - Adjustable Bed Furniture Risers Elevation in Heights 3, 5 or 8 Inch Heavy Duty Risers for Sofa and Table Supports up to 1,300 lbs (8

I know about those but our bed is already pretty high, like to the point I need to kind of hop up, if I had these I would not be able to get into the bed.

1 hour ago, Bambam said:

Our mattress is on a bed frame like that with no springs, etc - but the mattress is very tall - 12" maybe. If a mattress that thin would be comfortable long term is the question - otherwise the entire bed would be high and hard to get into (not out of though!).  We had that situation for a while, and it was very difficult for me to get in (awkward mostly), so maybe check some heights before you go that way.  I'm slightly above average height for a female, and my husband is slightly above average height for a male, but he had no problems getting in. 

Will you find the under bed storage useful? With my bad knees, I find I much prefer knee level or above storage as it requires less effort on my part if it is going to be used often. That squatting thing doesn't happen here any more. 

Yes, I will find it useful.   Our mattresses are 12" also

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I personally hate stuff being stored under the bed. It makes it hard to vacuum and then I feel like I’m sleeping over a dust cave. Dh doesn’t agree so we have stuff there anyway 😕 I always wake up feeling stuffy. But if you do want storage that’s does look like and option that would work well.

Right now the vacuum doesn't fit under the bed, so I have to move the entire bed in order to vacuum so I don't think this will be much different.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

We have our bed lifted with storage underneath.  We live in a very old house that has very little closet space.  So, we don't have a linen closet or a place to put stuff like wrapping paper.  I got three long rolling storage bins that fit under the bed.  They have flip top lids.  In about three seconds, I can have all three pulled out to vacuum.  The lids keep the contents from getting dusty or destroyed by cats.  It's not ideal.  A linen closet would be ideal.  But if I can't have a linen closet, this works well enough.  We have this type of storage under all three beds in our house.

I’m short, and the newer thicker mattresses and box springs made me need to hop up to get in bed, every time.  Unacceptable to me, so I got a bunky board (or maybe Bucky board?) that is only about 3 inches tall but very solid to use in place of the box springs.  This lowered the mattress to an old fashioned height with the same under bed space still there.  Basically the loss in height of the box spring compensated for the gain in height of the mattress itself.  Just thought I would throw this info in for others who are in the same boat.

Regarding the OP, I have such a different outlook on this that I don’t think I can add any wisdom.  My view is, if we can’t snuggle, because we are in separate beds, I would want to be in separate rooms to avoid the snoring, noise of bathroom visits, noise of DH’s CPAP, and varying alarm clock times.  DH is hard of hearing and we couldn’t easily converse in separate beds.  So to me, separate beds in the same room is all the hassle of a shared bed and none of the compensating closeness to make up for it.  YMMV, obs.

15 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I’m short, and the newer thicker mattresses and box springs made me need to hop up to get in bed, every time.  Unacceptable to me, so I got a bunky board (or maybe Bucky board?) that is only about 3 inches tall but very solid to use in place of the box springs.  This lowered the mattress to an old fashioned height with the same under bed space still there.  Basically the loss in height of the box spring compensated for the gain in height of the mattress itself.  Just thought I would throw this info in for others who are in the same boat.

Regarding the OP, I have such a different outlook on this that I don’t think I can add any wisdom.  My view is, if we can’t snuggle, because we are in separate beds, I would want to be in separate rooms to avoid the snoring, noise of bathroom visits, noise of DH’s CPAP, and varying alarm clock times.  DH is hard of hearing and we couldn’t easily converse in separate beds.  So to me, separate beds in the same room is all the hassle of a shared bed and none of the compensating closeness to make up for it.  YMMV, obs.

My husband has horrible, horrible, horrible restless leg syndrome, to the point of shaking the bed multiple times per night and jolting me awake.   I have to have a separate bed for my sleep sanity.   I love him but I love him better when I am well rested.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DawnM said:

My husband has horrible, horrible, horrible restless leg syndrome, to the point of shaking the bed multiple times per night and jolting me awake.   I have to have a separate bed for my sleep sanity.   I love him but I love him better when I am well rested.

Off-topic but maybe magnesium and/or iron supplements for hubby?  I love the above bed and pretty storage solutions plus tidy bedskirt.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Eos said:

Off-topic but maybe magnesium and/or iron supplements for hubby?  I love the above bed and pretty storage solutions plus tidy bedskirt.

Maybe, but he is a fidgeter all day long too so not sure if that is a lot of it too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I also suffer from restless legs at night. I'm lucky that dh sleeps through everything! I wouldn't want to sleep beside me! 😅

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I used to do that…DH said my legs were bicycling during the night. My Ferritin was low. 
My Ferritin level is now high normal and I no longer move my legs while sleeping. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

I also suffer from restless legs at night. I'm lucky that dh sleeps through everything! I wouldn't want to sleep beside me! 😅

Yeah, it isnt easy

3 hours ago, KatieJ said:

I used to do that…DH said my legs were bicycling during the night. My Ferritin was low. 
My Ferritin level is now high normal and I no longer move my legs while sleeping. 

Something to look at, although he also fidgets non stop.   I can't even lean on his seat in a theater because he can't stop fidgeting and moving!   

8 minutes ago, stripe said:

Do you not just want a regular king bed? Why are there two if they don’t adjust? I feel like I’m missing something. 

Good luck with your decluttering. 👍

As mentioned, my husband shakes and moves all night long due to restless leg and extreme fidgeting.

This is the only way we can share a room.

• Like 1

Just now, DawnM said:

As mentioned, my husband shakes and moves all night long due to restless leg and extreme fidgeting.

This is the only way we can share a room.

Oh! Somehow I thought that was someone else. Sorry! Then my other question is, how well does the adjustable bed make your side not shake, and can you look at other beds? I feel like that seam between the beds would annoy me or I’d find a way to fall through. I have seen ads for beds that claim the two sides don’t move in response to movement on the other side. I’d be sure to try these out, plus try to figure out if the two twins would shake if one person moved. 

35 minutes ago, stripe said:

Oh! Somehow I thought that was someone else. Sorry! Then my other question is, how well does the adjustable bed make your side not shake, and can you look at other beds? I feel like that seam between the beds would annoy me or I’d find a way to fall through. I have seen ads for beds that claim the two sides don’t move in response to movement on the other side. I’d be sure to try these out, plus try to figure out if the two twins would shake if one person moved. 

We have spent MONTHS looking for new beds in the past.  Even the ones that said you can jump and not spill a glass of wine don't work for me.   I feel him moving on ALL mattresses.

We have had two beds next to each other for years now, it works for us.

• Like 3

No, I would choose to own less.

I currently have winter bedding stored under the guest bed in zip bags from IKEA and my knees don’t thank me when I have to get stuff in or out. It also gets very dusty down there because I am not regularly (every 2-3 weeks) pulling things out from under that bed to dust. I do a much better job cleaning under beds without stuff under them.

We have no attic, no basement, no linen or hall closet. We are all really jammed in here. If I had another choice, I would take it. 

• Like 1

What is under my queen bed are vacuumed bags of winter comforters and clothing, and watches in their boxes because my husband collects watches but don’t wear them. What is temporarily under my DS18’s bed is my antique jewelry. I find it easy to reach under my bed for something without getting out of my bed. 

I am tempted by the casters/rollers but they aren’t efficient for us in carpeted rooms. The only places I could use anything with casters smoothly are my kitchen, dining room and bathroom which have tiles floors. 

The only problem with beds like that is that until you memorize where they are, accidentally tripping on one of them will fracture a toe. Especially if you’re used to wood. 

How’s work these days? What happened with the horrible parent & worse coworker?

• Like 2

On 5/9/2023 at 2:15 PM, DawnM said:

We have spent MONTHS looking for new beds in the past.  Even the ones that said you can jump and not spill a glass of wine don't work for me.   I feel him moving on ALL mattresses.

We have had two beds next to each other for years now, it works for us.

Well, that’s really disappointing about the beds. I’m glad you’ve found something that works. I wasn’t trying to be argumentative, I hope I didn’t come across that way. I don’t really like underbed storage, but I understand the temptation. I’ve got a support post or something in the middle of mine so I can’t put anything large under the bed in the middle as I can at the bottom, which leaves me with a much reduced space.

I just ordered a higher bed frame for the guest room so I could fit a twin folding bed under there. I haven’t put it together yet but it’s replacing a basic frame that’s only about 6” off the ground.  The new one is 12” The plastic risers do not work long term. They eventually break and can be wobbly. 

You can order replacement remotes for adjustable beds. We did it recently. As long as the pins line up, they work. Just order a backup before you need it from somewhere with easy returns and you’re good. We got DS one from Amazon recently. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I just ordered a higher bed frame for the guest room so I could fit a twin folding bed under there. I haven’t put it together yet but it’s replacing a basic frame that’s only about 6” off the ground.  The new one is 12” The plastic risers do not work long term. They eventually break and can be wobbly. 

You can order replacement remotes for adjustable beds. We did it recently. As long as the pins line up, they work. Just order a backup before you need it from somewhere with easy returns and you’re good. We got DS one from Amazon recently. 

What pins?

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

It sounds like a lot of you don't like under bed storage.   Is it just the cleaning issue or is there something else?

I would only plan to put things I don't need regularly under there.

I remember the stuff I put under my bed but for my husband it is out of sight out of mind. He forgot we have spare towels in one of the vacuum bags there so we bought new ones. Also it is easier for me than him to find things under the bed because I am short and just sit (or lie) on the floor and look in. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DawnM said:

It sounds like a lot of you don't like under bed storage.   Is it just the cleaning issue or is there something else?

I love under bed storage. I like an uncluttered look and it’s a good way for me to hide stuff we only need occasionally.  Without kids or animals in our house it really doesn’t get that dusty under the beds and we only clean under them every few months. 

12 hours ago, DawnM said:

I like under-the-bed storage - we have kind of crappy plastic bins right now so I'm eyeing those ones on wheels you posted. It does get dusty under the bed but I think it would get dusty either way? I keep some off season clothes in them or stuff I don't have room for/don't use often. 

• Like 1

Will such a permanently high bed be best in the long run?  I know people who have high beds and it's hard for them to get into bed as they get older.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I am 100% sure that I would stub my toe on that metal frame while walking around the bed.

The rolling under bed storage pictured looks suspiciously flimsy to me.  And it wouldn't work well with carpet or probably not with bed skirts IMO.

I do store things under my bed, but they are shorter.  Yes, they attract dust and make it harder to clean, and I don't necessarily remember everything I've put under my bed.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SKL said:

Will such a permanently high bed be best in the long run?  I know people who have high beds and it's hard for them to get into bed as they get older.

I don't think my bed will be higher than what it is now if I change it out.   My current frame is 15" off the ground, so this one would be about the same.

7 hours ago, SKL said:

Also, maybe it's just me, but I am 100% sure that I would stub my toe on that metal frame while walking around the bed.

There will be something at the end of the bed, ottoman type.

7 hours ago, SKL said:

The rolling under bed storage pictured looks suspiciously flimsy to me.  And it wouldn't work well with carpet or probably not with bed skirts IMO.

That was just an example, it may not be that specific one, there are many to choose from.

7 hours ago, SKL said:

I do store things under my bed, but they are shorter.  Yes, they attract dust and make it harder to clean, and I don't necessarily remember everything I've put under my bed.

I don't remember things in my attic either.   It is entirely possibly that I just need to purge a TON.

I store curriculum, a bin of gift bags, a bin of toys for younger children when they come visit, and some books my kids want to keep but I don't want to put out on shelves underneath my bed. All of my kids have been underneath their beds with stuff in them. We do not have a basement or an attic, so it's a necessity. I personally like a really tall bed, so if I could get a taller bed frame I would.