Menu

When you're a farm girl...

fairfarmhand

And you look out the window and see cattle, you don't stop to think.

You grab your coat and throw on your boots and yell for help as you run out the door.

You chase those animals over two fields of wheat and 20 acres,

You yell at them, shake buckets of grain in an attempt to lure them to you. You chase them down.

You run through gullies, through the mud, and through thickets of briers.

You finally, after 30 minutes in the freezing cold wind, finally get them up in the pen with the other animals.

Then, you look at the animals in the pen.

And you look at the animals you just captured.

And you realize.....

THEY'RE NOT YOUR STEERS.

I have no idea whose steers these are. 

I burnt my cookies. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 38

1 minute ago, fairfarmhand said:

You grab your coat and throw on your boots and yell for help as you run out the door.

You yell at them, shake buckets of grain in an attempt to lure them to you. You chase them down.

You finally, after 30 minutes in the freezing cold wind, finally get them up in the pen with the other animals.

And you realize.....

THEY'RE NOT YOUR STEERS.

I burnt my cookies. 

Have you been watching anne of green gables?  Where anne sells mrs lindes milk cow because she thought it was hers.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

And you realize.....

THEY'RE NOT YOUR STEERS.

I burnt my cookies. 

You’re awesome!

im sorry about your cookies!

• Like 2

Sorry, but you made me remember a babysitting experience I had when I was in high school. I often babysat for a family of farm kids. Once, late at night after they were all in bed, there was a knock on the door. It was after 11 pm, so I was nervous about answering the door. I chose to answer it with the phone clearly visible in my hand (yes, this was pre-cell phone) and didn't actually open the door.

But it wasn't anything nefarious. It was just somebody who had been driving down the highway and seen cows out. They pulled in at the first farm to let them know.  I thanked said person and then had to ponder what to do. I figured I had 3 options: call the parents, wait for them to get home (I expected them soon anyway), or call the brother of the dad (who lived/farmed next door). Thankfully, I didn't really have to choose, as the parents arrived home.

Boy, that was a fun family to babysit for. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

• Like 1

I have done that with sheep. And a CAT! My dog chased my black cat up a tree. I fussed at the dog, grabbed a ladder and got the cat out of the tree and hauled him into the house and put him in a bathroom so I could assess for injuries. On the way through the house, I passed by my black cat. I had hauled some neighbor's cat out of the tree and was holding him hostage in the bathroom. Oops

• Haha 21

My dad lives high on a desolate bluff in a free range state. He woke up one day to find about 5 or 6 longhorns bulls drinking from his small decorative pond. He didn't know who to contact, so I think he called the sheriff. The owners were eventually located about 100 miles away. By the time they got to my dad's, the cattle were gone again, though they were eventually found, round up, and taken back to the ranch. 

• Like 1

i thought about posting the steers to Facebook or something but my dh pointed out that those steers would be like saying did anyone lose $5K in cash? If you can describe it it’s yours! They look like 90% of the other steers in the county.

anyhoo…we waited. And about 2 pm yesterday the doorbell rang and it was the guy who owned them. He basically said, I’ve lost 3 black steers. You seen Em?

i showed him where they were and he was super nice and grateful and paid my ds and me for rounding them up.

irony is this…he’s a half owner of the butcher we use in KY for processing our animals. He’s leasing some property near us.

he came today and picked up his animals and all is well.

• Like 22

On 2/18/2023 at 7:00 AM, cintinative said:

So, enlighten me. How does one go about finding out the owner of rogue steers?  Are they branded?

Around here, we call the sheriff and they sort it out.  There were 6 or 8 steers that broke out of their fence and were happily munching grass along the side of the highway.  It was a disaster waiting to happen!

Edited by Shoeless
  • Like 1