Menu

How is food supply where you are?

Ausmumof3

23 hours ago, Serenade said:

I'm heading to a Harris Teeter in Chapel Hill today because I'm having lunch with my mom, so I'll see if things are better over there.  

There were plenty of eggs in stock, and the price was fairly reasonable, too -- $3.29 for a dozen large HT brand eggs.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Aldi had some gaps here and there, but nothing that seemed extraordinary for the 2020s.

That’s how it is around here. I go into Aldi every week and they were mostly stocked. The chicken was lower than usual, but that happens quite often. Everything else was there like normal.

I don’t go inside Walmart, but after I go into Aldi, I pickup my order from Walmart. So far, everything I ask for is given to me, but I don’t know if they’re pulling the last item off the shelves for me and if I went inside I’d be surprised by how skimpy things are—don’t know.

I do know that kitty kibble with beef flavor is hard to find. I have 6 cats and one eats only the beef flavors. Beef flavors are getting harder to find in the brand she likes, and we’ve had to go to different brands. She’ll eat the food, but you can tell she’s wondering why we don’t give her her favorite brand. So far, she won’t touch the other flavors.

I was at a regional chain today.  There were some gaps, but it was mostly that a few sections looked like they needed to be restocked - some produce (bagged salads) and the less expensive brands of organic/free range eggs (they had the more expensive ones and also the generic eggs).  They were in sections that looked like they might have a single supplier, and those same sections weren't empty a week ago, so I'm thinking that they will likely get restocked soon (or Monday if they are waiting on a truck).  Some prices are higher than in the past, but some are lower than they were in early December.  Going up and down the aisles, I didn't see any big gaps although I'm sure that there were missing products.  Simply Ruffles has been out of stock almost all the time for months, while they have regular Ruffles and other Simply snacks.  

On 1/6/2023 at 8:14 AM, Faith-manor said:

The quality of fresh produce here is very iffy. I have one good source, and that is the Mennonite bulk food supermarket. There are several local producers with greenhouses contracted to provide for them during the winter. The lettuce/salad greens are still not plentiful, but the carrots, celery, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, peppers, cucumbers, green onions (though I am currently growing my own indoors), fresh herbs, radishes, and berries are all really nice and affordable. It is the only place I buy produce now. I can't say about the quality of their tomatoes because we are using my dehydrated cherry tomatoes on our salads and tacos. Michigan apples are still being sold by the half peck and peck. It must have been a great year for apples because the supply is plentiful. I bought another half peck to run through the dehydrator since our sons drained me of apple chips and Mark was feeling sad. He loves them. 

I have seen two supermarkets actually out of common, frozen vegetables, and I suspect that this is because their own produce section is low stock and in poor condition so more people are buying frozen instead, or are trimming their food budgets to not include so much fresh.

Chicken is hit and miss. Eggs are low supply and very expensive. I am also struggling to find cod loins and perch. We are trying to eat more seafood, and I have to say, the warming oceans and lakes is wrecking havoc on seafood supply.

Another oddity, but off topic of food, is that Mark can no longer get 1/4" ply in cherry or maple for his woodworking. He can get oak and birch, but every single supplier is trying to sell warped, damaged ply (and he has to have nice stuff for the cabinetry work he is doing) at all time high prices. I don't know if this is because of the wildfires and harvesting is down, a delivery/shipping issue, or what. I should do some research on that.

I have been reading about how food consumption will be forced to change significantly due to climate change, warming oceans, droughts. The bulk of diets will eventually have to be grains and legumes because they are low water consumers, and not grains like oats and wheat, but quinoa, and corn, and legumes that are low consumers like lima beans and chick peas. All the other legumes are big water thirsty crops. The only vegetables that are drought resistant and reasonable water consumers are radishes, okra, and mustard greens. Unless production is shifted from row crops outside, to greenhouses indoors using new technology that conserves huge amounts of water, our children and their children are going to see lean food times in their lives. The top five crops that should not be grown are almonds in California, strawberries and avocados (often from Arizona and why in the heck are we draining Lake Mead and the Colorado river to irrigate a DESERT to grow them?????), sugarcane from anywhere in the world, and bananas from anywhere. I was shocked to find out how much water sugarcane consumes. I wonder what the health of future generations will look like with such limited diets. We talk a lot on here about the American diet and all the things wrong with it, but an entire world on such limits is an epic disaster.

Tomatoes may get scarce, in all likelihood, next summer and fall. It is a water thirsty plant, and farmers in California have announced they are reducing their tomato crops by 25-75% depending on the farmer with some also growing zero for 2023.

Another pivot was to convert from citrus groves to vineyards because grapes require 25-30% less water.

I think eating habits will have to shift. I do have hope that California will continue to get more rain and snow. I know it is hard because soil erosion due to wildfires means they deal with flooding and mudslides, but they need it so badly, and the nation is rather dependent on California and even Oregon for vegetable and fruit production. The snow pack is at about 174% which sounds great, but in the past decade they have often been at that point by the beginning of January only to get nothing from Jan - March, and then end up in drought conditions again. They need precipitation to continue for the next three months in order to get enough to fill aquifers and resevoirs. 

Carrie, have you done any research into agriculture laws in your state? Michigan, as it turns out, has something baked into our constitution about not prohibiting private citizens from raising food on their property. Several years ago there was a guy who wanted back yard chickens and edible landscaping at his house in the burbs of, if memory serves, Northern Detroit, and the HOA went bananas about it so he consulted an attorney with experience within the farming community. He successfully sued his HOA and won under this law. I can't remember what the actual statute says. Anyway, he has backyard chickens and landscaping. He agreed to no roosters, and zoning was allowed to limit the number of birds according to the square footage of the property for the well being of the birds and because of health code laws about management of manure. I think he ended up with four hens. Our township can only limit roosters within town limits under noise ordinances (which is just hilarious because there are neighbors here who run power tools at 6 am in the summer 🙄), and for the sake of larger critters, establish a minimum land/grazing requirement. So we don't have any sheep or goats in town now, no horses or cows. But just outside of town, right on the very edge of the town limit, there is a guy with a milk cow and mini donkey. So that means he is always also growing out a steer or heifer, and for some folks it is a real source of angst because they don't like it so close to town. My concern is he keeps them on five acres, and the paddock is small so they eat mostly hay. I feel that not having proper spring/summer/fall grazing is not healthy for his animals. But I guess legally it is okay.

Oh my goodness. I was super depressed when I read this last night.  😞  I am married to a farmer who is also into conservation and habitat, and I am always thinking what the future will look like for our family in terms of "the family business" and if it will exist.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ting Tang said:

Oh my goodness. I was super depressed when I read this last night.  😞  I am married to a farmer who is also into conservation and habitat, and I am always thinking what the future will look like for our family in terms of "the family business" and if it will exist.  

Please know that I have great respect for you and your husband! This is a bizarrely bad time in our nation to be a farmer. This profession is being gutted by horrible agricultural policies, subsidies for the wrong places, the wrong people, and utter lack of support for the very costly changes that family farms need to make in order to continue to feed the planet in a evermore difficult environment. Many hugs!

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Please know that I have great respect for you and your husband! This is a bizarrely bad time in our nation to be a farmer. This profession is being gutted by horrible agricultural policies, subsidies for the wrong places, the wrong people, and utter lack of support for the very costly changes that family farms need to make in order to continue to feed the planet in a evermore difficult environment. Many hugs!

Thanks so much!  Since everyone needs to eat, I am sure there is a future in agriculture and biology.  I think my husband is ethical and conscientious of how he does his "outside" work.  But I do expect big changes over the next several years.  Innovation has made farming easier, so hopefully their family farm has a future and one that continues in the direction of being healthier for the earth.  I think it is just depressing to think about the consequences of what has been done, and of course, we do not want huge segments of the population to suffer.  

• Like 3

Aparently there is a potato shortage. 

Fish and chip shops can't get  chips. And potatoes in the shop are $16 of 5kg. The shortage is because harvesting hasn't been able to happen because it has been too wet to get machiny into paddocks 

Meant to get netter in a month or so. The farmers interviewed on the radio said the potatoes are there, just can't get them. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Fish and chip shops can't get  chips. And potatoes in the shop are $16 of 5kg. The shortage is because harvesting hasn't been able to happen because it has been too wet to get machiny into paddocks 

How is flooding where you are? I read NSW and WA had flooding these past few days.

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

How is flooding where you are? I read NSW and WA had flooding these past few days.

My location only had flooding for a few days in early December. other parts of the Vic have had lots of very wet weather, mostly in November/December.  I was supprised to hear on the radio how wet some parts still are and how it is impacting harvest still. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I think it’s more in the very far north, definitely I know the Kimberleys have been impacted. SA is also having flooding along the Murray River which is finally making its way down from previous flooding in NSW and VIC. People have had a couple of months to prepare and build levees but obviously some houses can’t be saved, and some levees have given way. It’s not related to current weather just from what happened upstream last year. In some ways it’s very good for the river and part of the cycle but unfortunately people have houses in flood prone areas. However Riverland is premium fruit growing country here so we are finding fruit from QLD is cheaper and more available than local stuff. 

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

Weirdly, when I was at the store this morning, there was a carrot shortage. Zero full size carrots in the store. I wanted full size but had to settle for mini carrots.

The price of Fritos is still crazy. And the eggs were over $5 per dozen and over $7 for 18. Before the inflation began, they used to be around $1.80 per dozen. Or less.

19 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Meant to get netter in a month or so. The farmers interviewed on the radio said the potatoes are there, just can't get them. 

We’re queued up to have a shortage here too. 2021 was a low harvest year because of bad weather. Because it’s a storage crop, supplies were low in 2022. Harvest was decent in 2022 and supply was easier in the fall, but unless warehouses manage their supply well, it’s going to be hard to find potatoes come May-June. There’s no surplus.

Normally we have huge 4’ high cardboard stashes of potatoes they wheel out on the floor. We don’t this year. They are laying out bags like they do with apples, and when it’s gone for the day, it’s gone. 

35 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We’re queued up to have a shortage here too. 2021 was a low harvest year because of bad weather. Because it’s a storage crop, supplies were low in 2022. Harvest was decent in 2022 and supply was easier in the fall, but unless warehouses manage their supply well, it’s going to be hard to find potatoes come May-June. There’s no surplus.

Normally we have huge 4’ high cardboard stashes of potatoes they wheel out on the floor. We don’t this year. They are laying out bags like they do with apples, and when it’s gone for the day, it’s gone. 

IIRC, 2019 and 2020 also had flooding in the plains. Potatoes have been MIA, overpriced, or unbelievably small here for several months. Mid-2022, they were about $1.50/#. They eventually went down, but only as they were being prematurely harvested. Now they seem more normal in size and price, but the stores don't get as many. 

20 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

So glad we chucked sprouting potatoes in a cut down rain barrel full of manure a few months back and now are digging up a pretty steady supply every couple of weeks! I’m on shop potatoes again this week, but by next week I’m pretty sure we’ll have more. There are limits on frozen chips in some stores but not on fresh potatoes that I’ve seen.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

Okay, so the potatoes and salad greens this week are absolute junk. I don't know when I have seen such pathetic potatoes. Ever bag I looked at, no matter the variety, had sprouting and rotting potatoes.

I ended up buying a couple of bags of cubed, frozen potatoes, and will use those for soups and mashed. We love baked potatoes for lunch with salads. So much for that!

Sigh. The light levels are so low right now, nothing but grey skies, that it takes all I have to keep my herbs and chives going. I think I will buy a plant light, and try growing some leaf lettuce and spinach indoors again. I had some going a while back, but it just reached the place that they could not grow due to lack of light.

My usual grocery store had no frozen potatoes this week (the entire half-aisle was empty), and a limited number of bags of fresh potatoes. I went store hopping, including to some Asian markets, and no luck. Eggs remain very low.  Lettuce is largely absent. The chicken at my usual store looked slimy.  I got in the car to drive home and the radio had a news piece about this lady who made cauliflower steaks by roasting it for an hour....and how the markets were full of such lovely cauliflower this time of year. *sigh*. I haven't seen cauliflower in at least a month. 

I saw this this week while out reading:

https://www.eatthis.com/grocery-shortages-2023/

https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/save-money/supply-chain-shortages/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

My usual grocery store had no frozen potatoes this week (the entire half-aisle was empty), and a limited number of bags of fresh potatoes. I went store hopping, including to some Asian markets, and no luck.

Asians typically don’t buy as much potatoes so the asian supermarkets may not carry much stock. Asian Indian supermarkets might carry a lot more bulk potatoes. The potatoes here looks either very dirty or sad. I didn’t see frozen potatoes but saw lots of hash browns and fries. Bought a package of baby potatoes at Trader Joe’s instead of the gold or russet potatoes. 

59 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Asians typically don’t buy as much potatoes so the asian supermarkets may not carry much stock. Asian Indian supermarkets might carry a lot more bulk potatoes. The potatoes here looks either very dirty or sad. I didn’t see frozen potatoes but saw lots of hash browns and fries. Bought a package of baby potatoes at Trader Joe’s instead of the gold or russet potatoes. 

I went to the Indian, Chinese, and Japanese shops as I was looking for more than potatoes….I needed to do a stock up on some other things. 99 Ranch Market and Uwajimaya usually have decent selections even if H Mart and some of the more family owned small stores don’t. I was just surprised that they weren’t full up on their usual produce given Lunar New Year is right around the corner. The fish markets looked good, though.

6 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I went to the Indian, Chinese, and Japanese shops as I was looking for more than potatoes….I needed to do a stock up on some other things. 99 Ranch Market and Uwajimaya usually have decent selections even if H Mart and some of the more family owned small stores don’t. I was just surprised that they weren’t full up on their usual produce given Lunar New Year is right around the corner. The fish markets looked good, though.

Japanese new year is Jan 1st. Koreans, Chinese and Vietnamese supermarkets would have different produce for Lunar New Year.  Fish prices and shrimp prices would typically be higher at asian supermarkets nearer to Lunar New Year. The two H marts near me are well stock but more expensive than other korean supermarkets. I’m starting to stock up stuff needed for cooking Lunar New Year traditional dishes.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 3:11 PM, Storygirl said:

The price of Fritos is still crazy.

I feel like Fritos have been crazy expensive for a few years now, compared to other types of chips. Of course they are the best (imo). I occasionally buy the Aldi knock-off but they are nowhere near as good.