Menu

Seriously, what is it about the time between Christmas and New Years?

Dmmetler

My mother's long time best friend, who was also the mom of my long time best friend and basically my second mom died last night/early this morning. I know I've had some normal holiday seasons, but it certainly seems like every year I am dealing with hospitals, funerals or both. 

• Sad 42

It really feels like a curse at this point. It doesn't help any that my FB memories are full of tragedies past...including daily updates from ICU at this time last year. 

Having said that, my mother fighting to get to church for one last Easter, and her friend getting through one last Christmas both seems on brand for them. It's hard to imagine my childhood church without either of them. And it makes me really nervous about the other long time Circle folks...

• Sad 4

I think a lot of people hang on through the holidays and then let go. 

I also think cumulative stress from the holidays factors into a lot of DV and stress. There’s a reason Jan-Feb tends to be peak season for divorce filings.

But, it totally stinks for those grieving lost ones to have deaths tied to the holidays. We cope with that here and it’s hard.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

I remember years ago reading an article about this time of the year seeing statistically higher rates of mortality. 

I was just thinking yesterday that it seems we always lose a few high profile people right before the new year. 

@DmmetlerI’m so sorry for your loss 💙

Edited by Forget-Me-Not
  • Like 1

@DmmetlerIt is so hard when the older generation of not only parents but parents friends, church folk, all the folks start to die. I have a friend who moved recently. Before she left we walked through the cemetery so she could say goodbye to her old friends. Find ways to remember them. Lots of hugs for you.

I'm sorry for all the loss. We have one of our own this time.

A factoid: when you look at the "graph" for times of death, there are spikes around birthdays, the major religious holiday of the culture (used to be Easter in the US), Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the "big" birthdays especially (90, 100, etc.). This has been borne out in my experience, not perfectly, but statistically.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

It was a sad end to the year for us too.  Someone we used to be close to until they moved years ago was murdered by their adult child and attacked the other adult child. The child is going to have a very hard road ahead if they recover.   

@itsheresomewherebeing in the club of knowing someone murdered by friend or family is just so shocking and sad. I'm there with you. Many hugs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

It was a sad end to the year for us too.  Someone we used to be close to until they moved years ago was murdered by their adult child and attacked the other adult child. The child is going to have a very hard road ahead if they recover.   

This is the worst.  I am sorry for this ... it is more than a loss because it is outside the way of the world.  It is very hard to deal with, and I am sorry it is part of your life.  :0(

• Like 1