Menu

What is your best international travel advice

lynn

Layers.  Warm socks, good shoes that you can wear on the plane (because shoes take up an awful lot of space in a suitcase.

Pack only a carryon.  You can pack a duffle if you think you will go crazy bringing souvenirs back but really you should be able to pack for a week to ten days easily in a carryon.

• Like 5

I typically wear all black Nike or Athleta compression leggings on a flight with a tshirt and cardigan or sweater with trainers or some other flexible shoe. The compression leggings help with the leg fatigue from a long flight without a lot of mobility. My body usually swells slightly while flying, and leggings are comfy enough to really relax and sleep in. 

• Like 4

Thin lightweight layers.

Rain poncho or jacket is lighter weight than an umbrella and frees your hands.

I live in hiking orthopedic shoes.  Good for all conditions and waterproof makes it worth the shoes off in security hassle.  I only pack one a pair of dress shoes that are still good for most walking conditions.

Carry on only.  Minimalist cross matching wardrobe of mostly easy clean items. Almost anywhere you can either do a light wash in the sink or even use a washer if you really have to, but most items can be reworn multiple times.  I second taking a duffle in case you have more to take home.  But also, depending on where you are - if I really had a suitcase full of stuff to take back? Consider asking how expensive it would be to just mail it home.  Most hotels can help you do it. Heck, it might get back faster than you with tracking for less than $100 and I think that’s totally worth not shlepping it all over the world myself.

Unless there is an allergy issue - I don’t pack toiletries beyond fem products and hairbrush and deodorant/perfume.  I buy them local or use the lodging provisions.  I have curly hair that in Oklahoma I can straighten and have it stay straight about 4 months of the year.  The closer I get to the equator or the higher the humidity, the more uncontrolled afro I get.  So I just give up and look like a crazy haired white girl in those situations.  I’ve actually had locals in those areas offer salon tips in pity.  LOL You can also ask the lodgings if they have styling equipment. You’d be surprised how many actually have some you can use or rent.  Electric razors for shaving beards, curling irons, blow dryers… the worst they will say is no and then you might be able to find a cheap option to buy there if you just can’t do without.  It might not be what you are used to but I don’t usually go on trips to do what I can do at home anyways.

Money. I once heard a flight attended say that the reason they can always pack so light is because they can just buy whatever they need when they get there and most of the time they find they really don’t need much.

So my rule of thumb and probably why it keeps me from traveling very much is I refuse to travel unless I have double the money I think I really need. Look at all those people screwed by southwest this month? I mean sure maybe they will eventually get reimbursed for that unexpected $4k plane ticket they bought last minute with another airline but that’s only helpful if they had a spare $4k to buy it to begin with. Those that didn’t are just screwed and probably worried about loss pay for jobs they expected to be back at before the new year.  I’m always thinking what if the reservation I booked and already paid for hotel or car doesn’t work out? What’s my backup plan? My backup plan requires money now.  Not when I get refunded or reimbursed in however many weeks.  I have very relaxing trips bc I plan this way and it removes a LOT of stress.  Worst case scenario everything goes great and I still have money.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 6

It depends on whether I am traveling alone and whether I have friends, family, colleagues (work trip) at my destination. 

I would bring at least 2 different credit cards (Visa, MasterCard) and cash. Being scared of cold, I would be layering for the plane and destination. I am the kind that needs three airline blankets to keep warm on the plane so I rather wear on my own parka and use that as blanket. 

Bring an empty water bottle and fill it up at the airport after customs.
I have a small tub of moisturizer cream in my personal bag just in case cabin air is too dry. Phone and tablet charging cables goes into my personal bag so that I can charge to full battery capacity on the plane. Medicine (Sudafed, Benadryl, Claritin, inhaler) goes into my personal bag.

For my luggage, all I need is a carry on. I just bring two sets of spare clothing and a spare pair of shoes. Everything else I can just buy or request from the hotel concierge. 

• Like 2

I second med kits. I usually go to the dr 2 weeks before my trip and get rx for everything, even over the counter stuff like Sudafed bc not everything that’s OTC here is okay elsewhere.  I also get a b12 shot and an rx filled for Zithromax and steroids.  I don’t use those unless I’m actually sick. But when you get sick on a trip is not when you are in the best position to get those typical rx.  The steroids are bc I have asthma and tendency for ear infections and ears that do not adjust well to pressure changes. I’m often rx’d for both antibiotics and steroids for pain relief and assisted breathing.  Know yourself and pack whatever is your families’ typical medicine needs. Pack them in their original bottles so that there’s no issue. Pack double what you need bc crap happens frequently in life and unlike most of what you pack, medications can be difficult to quickly access by buying at your destination.  Money and meds are the only thing I think worth worrying about not having enough of on a trip.  

Also keep in mind I’m married to a type 1 diabetic and have had 11 kids. So it can literally be life and death.  I stress way more than my Dh who has a personality that presumes flights will go according to plan and I have a personality that presumes I might end up crashed on a deserted island for a week and still need to feed someone other than myself.

• Like 1

What I need for 30-50 degree weather depends upon the conditions and how much I will be outside.  If it is rainy and windy that temp can be miserable, but if it is sunny I need a lot fewer layers.  When travelling to a cooler climate, I have found layering a pair of long underwear with hiking pants will usually keep me fairly warm; they will wash and dry in a hotel when heavier pants or heans will not.  A scarf is helpful if the plane is cold, around the neck for warmth at the destination, or just worn loosely to dress up a travel outfit.  

Have a phone charger handy; I also make sure that I have a plug adapater for my destination handy in case I need to charge in the airport or train station.  I did have a situation recently where I was renting a car at my detination and thought all cars now have USB ports to charge--but this car had the new smaller ports and I couldn't charge my phone in the rental car.  

I know I am a dissenting opinion here, but I don't find it a bother to check a bag for an interntational flight.  By the time I have gotten through immigration the bag is on the carousel to pick up to go through customs.  So, I don't have as much to lug around through passport control or through security (which if you have a connecting flight may occur more than once and be more involved than simply flying domestically).  

Take a picture of your passport and the contents of your wallet.  Print that out and live a copy at home with someone and pack a copy in a bag separate from where you are carrying those items.  Have an easy-to-access place to keep a credit card and small bills to make purchases and a secure place (zippered pocket or passport pouch) to keep your backup cash and other cards.   

Have a small, lightweight bag that you can use as a day bag at your destination for everything from carrying a sweater to using as a grocery bag.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I know I am a dissenting opinion here, but I don't find it a bother to check a bag for an interntational flight.  By the time I have gotten through immigration the bag is on the carousel to pick up to go through customs.  So, I don't have as much to lug around through passport control or through security (which if you have a connecting flight may occur more than once and be more involved than simply flying domestically).  

Same! The less I have to carry on the plane with me, the better. 

• Like 1

After I get through security, I fill my water bottle and drop in a Nuun hydration tab, then find a secluded spot to hydrate. Flying is super dehydrating so I feel better physically if I start the trip well-hydrated. 

Bring a few masks in different styles, both ear loop and head strap, because either one might get uncomfortable on a long flight. Include an N95 or equivalent high quality mask, even if you don't typically wear them. If someone nearby has a hacking cough you might be really happy to have it. Weirdly the straps of 2/3 dh's masks broke our first two days of travel, which had never happened before and he needs a large size, so pack extras.

So happy we did carry-on only to Dublin this summer! Other family members traveling separately had trouble with their checked luggage and we saw a bazillion bags sitting unattended at the airport. Not sure when you're traveling, but with all the delays and cancellations these days a carry-on gives you more flexibility. 

Practice packing early and try on your outfits, to make sure you like what you pack. I went a little too practical for Ireland--I wish I'd brought a pair of dress boots, in addition to sneakers and sandals, and some more glam options for the few nights we spent in the city. Decant toiletries into smaller containers for TSA and to save on space/weight. I have sensitive skin so I don't try new toiletries when I travel--just don't want a rash.

For flights to Europe or elsewhere with evening departure and morning arrival, I take melatonin and Benadryl after dinner on the plane and try to get some sleep. I'd rather arrive feeling semi-functional than watch movies, personally. I listen to guided meditations with earbuds and use a BCOZZY neck pillow from Amazon. It's a little pricey but the support is way better than others I've tried. It helps me sleep and provides support so I don't aggravate my neck injury from a car accident. 

Travel Fashion Girls on FB is a fun group for recs on travel clothes and shoes, and packing tips. 

Have a great trip!

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

Same! The less I have to carry on the plane with me, the better. 

Well ideally the less we have to carry on the plane the better too. LOL

But when I have to check bags (and any place I’m getting in the water means I have to check bags. Snorkel and scuba gear never fit in overhead bins!)  So when I have to check bags, the rule of thumb is to make sure all the things that would completely ruin my trip if I didn’t have them are in my carry on. So anything that I either can’t get at my destination or would take a couple days to get stay with me. 

• Like 5

I do carry on only (backpack); it’s much simpler for me for the way I travel and the thought of a lost bag makes me super anxious. If you do check a bag though, get an air tag or similar. DS has found it to come in handy several times this year.

For on the plane, I sometimes use a small backpack or tote to stick under the seat, or I just take my iPad and headphones out of my pack before I board the plane. Download a few shows to watch if you don’t want to be at the mercy of the onboard entertainment. I prefer to fly overnight so I can just sleep, but the iPad is helpful if it’s daytime. Of course a phone works just as well.

Lately I’ve been skipping the extra tote and instead wear a waist bag for the essentials—phone, charging cable, passport, ID. That keeps my hands free and I don’t have to fuss with anything on the plane or in the airport. If you’re wearing a jacket it can serve the same purpose (I get too warm on planes so I tend to pack my coat). 

For 30-50 degree weather, I would layer a tank or short sleeve shirt and long sleeve t shirt, leggings, a raincoat (or hoodie, depending on weather) and Docs. Maybe a hat if it’s closer to 30 and/or windy. I’d pack a couple of each item plus a pair of sneakers. I used to not pack extra shoes but I always do now—although if I don’t, I get to buy a pair on the trip which is never a bad thing. 😉 

Some countries are way ahead of us on the ability to use a smartwatch for payment. When we go to Ireland I don’t ever bother with using credit cards; my watch does it all (except transportation). It’s so convenient; we keep a few Euro available just in case but I haven’t used cash there in ages.  

Have fun, wherever you’re going! 🙂 

• Like 2

Travel light. It is no fun to drag heavy suitcases and duffles all over the place.

Also, my carryon always has a change of clothes, two pairs of socks, extra underwear, extra light weight shirt. I have had too many "your luggage didn't make the flight" incidents to be willing to wander around another country for five days in the same underwear and socks. I had friends who I warned about this, but they opted to have lighter carry on bags, went to Iceland, their luggage never left the US, and spent the entire week with no other clothes nor did they have it built into their budget to buy a set of clothes for each member of the family. So their trip went rather over budget, and no, their luggage never made it. It wander around the United States, and they were home for 9 days before it finally made it to their house.

Basically a change of clothes and meds and personal care always in the carryon. But I am also not a person who takes a lot of bathroom/medicine cabinet stuff with me. I do like to travel light, and for make up, I usually only take a lipstick in my purse, and foundation in my carryon. We don't plan any dress up events.

Also, we always keep our passport, credit cards, and cash in a little RFID reader blocking pouch, slung across our body, and if wearing a jacket or sweater, under that as well. This way the most important things do not get stolen.

• Like 1

I carry a water bottle and fill once I get through security (although I have had a few international flights where there was a check at the gate when boarding and no bottles of water were allowed--so you have to be flexible and go-with-the-flow when encountering different procedures).  And I carry some type of protein (like nuts or protein bar) and something bland/calming (like mints or animal crackers) to have something I can put in my stomach if necessary.  You never know how long you might sit on the tarmac, or have turbulence on a flight and can't be served, or get in a long delay at immigration, or have a delay/layover in an airport in which all food facilities are closed.  

Also, check to see if there are any national holidays at your destination, especially those that occur on the day of arrival or day of departure because they can impact openings of stores, public transportation, and other services.  Also, be aware of any potential transportation worker strikes or other events that might disrupt public transportation.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't know which way you are traveling, but if you are flying over the sea on our right (Atlantic), keep in mind what your arrival time will be and how you will feel. International flights arrive there early morning, often before check-in is allowed. I have, in the past, regretted not getting my room for the previous night just so i would have had a place to crash. Alternatively, I have arranged for that day to have some additional travel by air or train, making better use of that time when I'm not up for doing anything that needs my full attention to get the entire experience.

If you are traveling left (transpacific) you will probably arrive at night and it can be easier to sleep or be active according to how you feel.

• Like 1

Re carry-it-all-on or check-a-bag: this depends a lot on what kind of travel you are doing.  If you are going to one place and staying there, check the bag.  If you are making multiple stops, pack light and carry it all on.  Wash undies in the sink, wear a lot of black or things that are coffee colored (ask me why...) ... choose a color and stick with it.  

I did two weeks personal travel in a carry on.
I did two week business travel in a carry on.

I used laundry facilities, wore black suits (business) or dark quick-dry pants with layers (longies and raingear on casual) to match the weather and destination requirements.  

On the casual trip, I took a pair of lightweight hiking boots and a pair of sandals.  I wore the hiking boots every single day...never touched the sandals.  On the business trip, I took two pairs of shoes, good for walking but identical in make.  That was a mistake.  They wore a hole in my socks and in my FEET...take two pairs but not the same exact shoes!!!  (Stupid on my part.) I recommend substantial shoes, not running shoes, so as to blend in a little better.  

One last thing: DH was too proud to have a wheelie carry on.  Not manly enough.  WELL, by the time we were done walking a mile to our hotel after taking the train and the ferry and all that came in between, he was a little more humble...and a lot more exhausted than I was.  

As far as the flight goes, take a water bottle, take a book you can immerse yourself in, wear layers you can use as blankets and pillows.  And if you can do it, monetarily and time wise, get your global entry pass. It is a real stress-reducer.

And one more last thing: have a great time!  Millions of people have figured out how to do this, and you will be fine.  Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it, and take the good with the confusing as part of the adventure.  🙂

• Like 2