Menu

Thanksgiving ER visit... another one.

Brittany1116

I saw at least one other boardie had an ER experience yesterday. Probably doesn't deserve its own post, but I just thought I'd share for all the people watching the bugs going around. I am in north Florida. 

Monday night I had a sniffle. Tuesday morning I was 103 and coughing. Wednesday I was fine. Thursday I was fine... until about 4 when I lay down to read. I began to have labored breathing that did not improve with repositioning. After 30 minutes of mouth open slight gasping and googling urgent care centers, I went to the ER. 

Xray normal. Covid flu RSV negative. 97% O2 on room air. RT heard slight restriction and whistle on one side after I reported feeling decreased lung capacity there. Got an inhaler and other Rx for cough and went home. I am still mouth breathing more heavily than normal, cough is back and not productive. Inhaler as needed. Dx- random URI caused inflammation of bronchioles. 

Now the interesting part is that each tech, Dr, and resident was betting I had RSV. It's basically all they are seeing. They said flu has had a teeny uptick this week and a few said they don't remember the last covid case they saw, but almost every adult is RSV. We knew it was up but apparently it's shockingly prevalent right now. 

Best news is that the whole thing took 70 minutes.

• Sad 25

I hope you’re feeling better! And I am really glad you tested negative for everything.

RSV is rampant and hitting even adults hard, which is unusual in the quantity we are seeing. I also don’t remember the last time I had a Covid positive patient who needed the ER—over a month ago, I think. But I had several RSV patients today alone.

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

That sounds miserable. I hope you're feeling better soon. I'm hearing of a lot of people who are testing negative for covid, flu and RSV. I'm wondering what that is? Is there perhaps a bad adenovirus this year? My FIL just went through the same thing, and negative for everything. I also wonder if people are just doing covid tests the first few days of symptoms and assuming negative at that point. Pretty common last I saw for vaccinated people not to test positive until day 5 or so of symptoms. In any case, I hope the worst is past and you are 100% again soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KSera said:

That sounds miserable. I hope you're feeling better soon. I'm hearing of a lot of people who are testing negative for covid, flu and RSV. I'm wondering what that is? Is there perhaps a bad adenovirus this year? My FIL just went through the same thing, and negative for everything. I also wonder if people are just doing covid tests the first few days of symptoms and assuming negative at that point. Pretty common last I saw for vaccinated people not to test positive until day 5 or so of symptoms. In any case, I hope the worst is past and you are 100% again soon.

Child of a relative was hospitalised recently - they only tested positive for rhinovirus 

• Sad 3

Yeah, I tested negative for flu and covid. I don’t think they tested for RSV.  I went into urgent care not because I was in respiratory distress but because I felt like my breathing was getting worse and it was the day before Thanksgiving.  I got an inhaler and cough medicine and feel a lot better.  Cough still sounds gross but I feel okay now.  

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

I hope you’re feeling better! And I am really glad you tested negative for everything.

RSV is rampant and hitting even adults hard, which is unusual in the quantity we are seeing. I also don’t remember the last time I had a Covid positive patient who needed the ER—over a month ago, I think. But I had several RSV patients today alone.

Almost all of our family had what I believe is RSV last September (2021).  We had a big outbreak then and negative for Covid and flu.  At that point, whichever places some family members went to for testing weren't testing for RSV.  Whst was really strange was that I, Ms AI + on numerous deliveries of steroids, plus biologics and and another strong immunosuppressant, dud not get it, even though I was sleeping in the same bed w dh who had it.

We are in North Florida as well and my adult son has been really sick with RSV like symptoms. He was able to take a Covid test at home but refused to go to the ER or doctor for any more kind of treatment or testing. Ugh, why are men such babies about getting help!

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I sure hope you feel better soon. RSV is nothing to sneeze at (pun intended LOL).

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Brittany1116 said:

Thanks for well wishes. I slept last night without issue but the bronchitis is flaring now that I am up. 

Good sleep goes a long way, but I am sorry it's flaring again.

You might try mucinex without the decongestant (you can always add sudafed if it's not enough, but I usually find I need the decongest a lot less before I am finished needing the mucinex). 

13 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Good sleep goes a long way, but I am sorry it's flaring again.

You might try mucinex without the decongestant (you can always add sudafed if it's not enough, but I usually find I need the decongest a lot less before I am finished needing the mucinex). 

Thank you. So far the most relief has come from a Theraflu cold and cough syrup for daytime... acetaminophen, and 2 cough meds mix. But I may look for that specific Mucinex. I also have a zpack I am to take if mucous is not totally clear by tomorrow. 

5 minutes ago, Brittany1116 said:

Thank you. So far the most relief has come from a Theraflu cold and cough syrup for daytime... acetaminophen, and 2 cough meds mix. But I may look for that specific Mucinex. I also have a zpack I am to take if mucous is not totally clear by tomorrow. 

I think the reason I find mucinex so helpful is that it lasts 12 hours and has a couple of dosing options. Other cough meds have similar ingredients, but they don’t last as long, so symptoms come and go more often. So much with airways involves keeping that irritation at bay. 

If you have a lot of mucous, sinus rinses can help a lot. 

• Like 1