Menu

Pre-Make Thanksgiving?

BlsdMama

My DH is on travel this week but he has all next week off.  We are hosting Thanksgiving at our house on the 27th for his immediate side, roughly 30 people.  Has anyone premade Thanksgiving? I can do almost nothing, but DH is a fantastic cook and has traditionally always made Thanksgiving meal for our family with the kids.

That said, it stresses him out to make sure everything is done at the same time.

We have everyone bringing a side and/or dessert, tray, etc.  We just do the rolls, potatoes & gravy, green bean casserole, turkey & ham. I know we can premake the potatoes early in the AM and keep them warm.  The ham is made, cut, & frozen and we'll warm it in the roaster in the AM.  Can I do the same with the turkey?

I'd rather make two turkeys than one large, unwieldy one, plus twice as much dark meat! If we make them the day before and slice them, can we put them in a roaster with turkey broth to warm and they won't be dry?  I'd like to smoke them for a bit, then roast them.  Thoughts?

It would make everything so easy on them the next day and we want to go to church Sunday morning.

• Like 1

Yup. Medical issues on my end has meant dh had to take over, and he likewise felt stressed about timing.

Mashed potatoes hold and keep well in a crockpot.

Meat can be pre-cooked and warmed up. Roast the turkey the way you normally do. When it's done, pull it out, and let it rest for at least 30 minutes before carving so that the juices are distributed evenly. Spoon either chicken broth or the turkey drippings over the carved bits before storing it in the fridge overnight. Reheat to 165F the next day in a COVERED pan. You want that well wrapped in aluminum foil so it doesn't dry out. It takes about an hour for a 20-25lb bird at time of purchase at 350F, fwiw.

Green salads and other salads (I make a cranberry/orange/apple one) can kind of help ease the prep burden also as they can be done in advance.

I'm emptying out our garage fridge now as prep will happen a little bit all week next week in getting ready for Thursday/Thanksgiving. I will also say that I've lowered/adjusted my expectations and the pie, rolls, and a few other things all come from Costco now. There's no point in trying to create happy memories if the result is a stressed out dh, iykwim.

Hugs!

• Like 5

I’ve been trying for years to figure this out. My extended family is super picky and won’t accept anything other than right out of the oven. Curiously…I am leaving town this year and they are on their own. 

I did it in the past and kept turkey warm in the crock pot with some broth and then served with homemade gravy and it was fine and saved me a ton of work. But my brother snarked about it. But that is a family issue and I’m positive your family is more gracious!

Edited by teachermom2834

I'm not a cook, but if hosting, I feel like the host family gets to choose how the food is prepared.
You can do most of those recipes ahead of time, & reheat in the crockpot. 

We've absolutely done the turkey the day beforehand.
I would be snarky right back to any complainers--- "we're ALL coming to your house next year!"

• Like 5

I do as much as possible ahead of time. 

Potatoes can be done early in the week. Mash them with cream cheese and sour cream. (There are recipes, but I just wing it) Put in a oven safe casserole to be baked on Thanksgiving day. I have  done it that way for decades, literally. 

I prepare my dressing the day before, again, baking it on Thanksgiving day. Alternatively, I fry thr sausage and chop thr celery and onions the day before, so I can add the bread and broth the day I bake it. 

I have never baked the turkey ahead of time, but if you bake your turkey the day before, you can then also make your gravy ahead of time.

(I likely would ask someone else to bring the ham…freeing up oven space)

I also made my rolls a week ahead of time and freeze them.

A friend’s mom does two turkeys.  She makes one ahead of time, carves it up, and keeps it warm. The second Turkey comes out of the oven, gets presented to guests for ooohs and ahhhs, then is returned to the kitchen to rest while the cut turkey is pulled out and served. 

You could also cut it up and roast in quarters to make dealing without it easier. I like to spatchcock mine so it cooks faster and stays juicer. You don’t go nuts with the brining this way and the turkey and gravy taste better. 

• Like 1

I think I'm doing my turkey on Wednesday this year- I've done it before and it works out great.  I've also done just the turkey breasts (2) the day before. Roast your turkey as normal, let rest until its not 🔥.   Slice off each breast in one big hunk and refrigerate.  The morning of your meal, slice, lay in crock pot with chicken stock and warm.  You will still have the smell of turkey, too.  

• Like 4

We make our mashed potatoes a day or two ahead - using this recipe - https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a12083/delicious-creamy-mashed-potatoes/

Sweet potato casserole is a requirement here, so we make that a day or two in advance and just cook it the day of.

I think you could make the green bean casserole ahead, and just warm it up the day of - adding the best part, fried onions, for the last five minutes!

We make our dressing in the crockpot (use liners!). We have everything chopped up the day before (in baggies in refrigerator). The bread we have chopped and dried the day before as well, so you are just sauteing the onions and then mixing everything, turning it on, and walking away (except to stir and check to see if you need to add any more broth). 

I'm no help on the turkey because we always have issues with it being a little later ourselves. 

I want to do pizza next year! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

A friend’s mom does two turkeys.  She makes one ahead of time, carves it up, and keeps it warm. The second Turkey comes out of the oven, gets presented to guests for ooohs and ahhhs, then is returned to the kitchen to rest while the cut turkey is pulled out and served. 

You could also cut it up and roast in quarters to make dealing without it easier. I like to spatchcock mine so it cooks faster and stays juicer. You don’t go nuts with the brining this way and the turkey and gravy taste better. 

This is what I was going to suggest.  Cook one ahead of time and maybe do it in a way that is easier, quicker, and might even taste better, then have that one ready to serve while the other (decoy) one rests.  I have also made GB casserole (uncooked) days ahead and just plopped it in the oven to be ready for dinner.  Mashed potatoes in a crock pot does very well.

2 hours ago, Grace Hopper said:

Oh, I forgot, I buy a few turkey legs and roast them the day before so I can make gravy. It’s nice to not have to wait for pan drippings after the Turkey is toasted on Thanksgiving day, making the gravy is kinda stressful at the last minute (for me anyway).

Yeah I always buy turkey legs and wings and do the gravy ahead. There are lots of recipes online for make ahead gravy. I do find gravy stressful to make on the spot while people are hovering especially because I only do it once a year I’m always wondering if I will even remember what I am doing. Lol. 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 2

I think making as much as possible ahead makes sense as long as it doesn't sacrifice quality/flavor. I also believe in simplifying by purchasing where feasible, again without sacrificing flavor. People given great ideas. I've never made the turkey ahead but would do it in a minute after reading this thread. I simplify in other ways, plenty. Costco makes great pumpkin pies. One year we bought their scalloped/au gratin potatoes and ooh la la, were they ever good! Trader Joe's gravy is delicious and stress-free. Just a couple of examples from my life. 

OP, I wish you a lovely and stress-free Thanksgiving! 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

When we hosted dh's family - he would do two turkey's just to get meat and stuffing.  he always did one the day before, and would reheat while the second was cooking.  He didn't carve at the table - he has always carved in the kitchen and put the meat in serving dishes.

he uses a great big bread bowl to mix all the stuffing together, covers in foil, and sticks it in the oven to warm.

one batch of rolls would be baked the day before (40 rolls), and then the second would go in the oven while everything else was finishing being prepared so it would come out as everything was going on the table.

I always host Thanksgiving and do a lot of advance prep.  I don't need extra last minute cooking stress!

I always roast my turkey days in advance and then reheat in the oven or crockpot with broth, because I hate (HATE) carving the turkey and would be totally stressed out doing that the day of!  It works great, and as long as you reheat in broth it will not dry out.

Potatoes can be peeled/cut in advance (just put them in cold water, cover, and refrigerate) and then cooked and mashed the day of.  

Green bean casserole can be prepped in advance and then baked the day of.

I always make gravy in advance and reheat.

Rolls - definitely make in advance and freeze.  I double wrap in press & seal and then double ziploc bag so they don't dry out.

• Like 1