Menu

FINALLY getting our closet make over!~

DawnM

I am getting excited.   We were considering the IKEA PAX system, but due to lots of things not being in stock and some hesitations, we are going with a Plan B.

DH and I are not in 100% agreement on how to configure everything, but we are starting to figure it out.   He wants more of a black, industrial, bachelor pad, loft look.....and I DO NOT! 😜    I want more of a  romantic look.   So I told him I would do black if we can add black and white floral wallpaper and crystal drawer pulls and crystal chandeliers! 😁   

We are compromising.   He is very much a handyman, so we will be following this idea for the main portion of the closet and then putting in a few more items in the rest of the closet since our closet is larger than this one.    And we aren't going with those colors as they don't really go with what we already have.

It will take a while as we both work full time, but hopefully not too long.   We are sectioning the closet out and doing portions at a time.

• Like 14

48 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Call me stupid, but I had no idea closets actually had a look or style. 🤣 Sounds exciting.

Ours not only doesn't have style, it also is not very functional!   But yes, closets, like everything else, have become a selling point and have fallen victim to "HGTV"  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

The closet in that video is beautiful!!! I will be very interested to see how yours ends up.

BTW--how's your dad? Has it gotten any easier or better for him in the facility?

He still hates it.   He just watches TV until the TV goes dormant from not changing the channel and then shuts off and then he can't figure out how to get it back on.   He asks us to show him how to work the remote every single visit.   We tried a simple remote but with the cable box, it doesn't work.

Sigh.

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

He still hates it.   He just watches TV until the TV goes dormant from not changing the channel and then shuts off and then he can't figure out how to get it back on.   He asks us to show him how to work the remote every single visit.   We tried a simple remote but with the cable box, it doesn't work.

Sigh.

I'm so sorry. 

My mother-in-law and father-in-law both hated the nursing home at the outset. My fil never adjusted. My mil did adjust on her second stint. (Went into one, went back home for a while, then went into a different one and did really well there.) My aunt, on the other hand, loved the nursing home. She hated being apart from her husband and children, but she loved the activities and the social atmosphere at the nursing home.

This stage will pass. It will get easier for him. I am sorry it's so icky right now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DawnM said:

Sigh.

I'm sorry. My mum did acclimatise but it took at least six months. 

• Like 2

We had our small'ish  1972-era closet "done" several years ago by theContainer Store, using Elfa with wood accents. At the time, I thought it was the vainest, most frivolous, most materialistic thing ever, but I love it every single time I step in. It's not nearly as nice as yours will be, but it brings me so much joy. It's something I never knew I needed, ya' know? I'm always glad we spent the money on it, and I am sure you will be as well.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, plansrme said:

We had our small'ish  1972-era closet "done" several years ago by theContainer Store, using Elfa with wood accents. At the time, I thought it was the vainest, most frivolous, most materialistic thing ever, but I love it every single time I step in. It's not nearly as nice as yours will be, but it brings me so much joy. It's something I never knew I needed, ya' know? I'm always glad we spent the money on it, and I am sure you will be as well.

We looked at Elfa.   It is very well made and sturdy.   We priced it out one time and youza!

IKEA dressers and shelving come today.   We are getting started!

Dh says he wants to get it close to finished by the end of Jan as that starts his busy season and then he will have no time.

We are having to make some concessions and changes due to IKEA supply issues and such, but we will get it done and it will be beautiful and functional.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Phase 1 (of like 10) update:

Progress so far:

We have removed everything from the areas in the photos (there is a nook to the left that still is full of stuff).   The green (sea salt left over from dad's room painting) is being used in the closet.    The gold/brown will be painted over with sea salt.   The white had shelving and hanging rods.  They were not worth salvaging so they are gone.   

IMG_0688.jpeg

IMG_0689.jpeg

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

With that much space and that pretty oval window I'd be sorely tempted to turn this into a private reading nook or an office or something like that.

I told my husband it is the size of our guest room!   It is a bit ridiculous actually.   I would not have designed it that large or in the location where it is (walk through the master bath to get to it).

BUT, we are planning to put in a small table and either a stool or chair.   It can be a dressing area, but can also be a photo sorting area as I sift through the 10k photos/slides dad brought to my house.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sgo95 said:

Exciting! Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to following your progress!

1 hour ago, Annie G said:

It’s going to be beautiful!  I have some closet envy…

1 hour ago, Garga said:

It’s going to be great! I am so jealous! My house only has regular little closets from 1949 (when the house was built)—no walk-ins. Just an alcove with a door and a bar for hangars.  

I’d love a walk in! 

6 hours ago, Scarlett said:

That is some huge closet. It is going to be beautiful!

Thanks.   I can't believe how unusable much of the space was and how poorly laid out it was.    

We are paring down a bit from our original plans just because we don't think being as detailed and elaborate is going to be necessary.   The space shown will have IKEA Kallax shelving along the current sea salt wall.   It will have a built in look with a raised base and baseboards.

Then the space in the back will have 4 of those dressers (one is already in there to verify spacing).   We had to work around the little doors for attic space, so one on each side of the little doors.   Then above the dressers and doors will be hanging space for clothing.

We haven't figured out the back wall yet and are waiting to see how much space will be there after everything is in place AND see what it looks like and what might look good there.

Once we remove the junk in the space I didn't take a photo of, I will take a picture of that space and post it.   You all can give input.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I told my husband it is the size of our guest room!   It is a bit ridiculous actually.   I would not have designed it that large or in the location where it is (walk through the master bath to get to it).

BUT, we are planning to put in a small table and either a stool or chair.   It can be a dressing area, but can also be a photo sorting area as I sift through the 10k photos/slides dad brought to my house.   

One of our previous homes had a closet like that, upper gabled level with a window. I remember telling dh it would be a perfect nursery if we had another empty bedroom to use as a closet. 

Have fun, Dawn. My biggest challenge would be being very discriminating about what clothes to put back in. My own (now much smaller) closet definitely needs a clean out. I’ve held onto too many “when I just lose that last 10 pounds” garments from the 90s. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

One of our previous homes had a closet like that, upper gabled level with a window. I remember telling dh it would be a perfect nursery if we had another empty bedroom to use as a closet. 

Have fun, Dawn. My biggest challenge would be being very discriminating about what clothes to put back in. My own (now much smaller) closet definitely needs a clean out. I’ve held onto too many “when I just lose that last 10 pounds” garments from the 90s

Or 50 but who's counting?  😜

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

The first photo is a little alcove.   When you walk in, there is a little area to the left, this is that area.

0?ui=2&ik=32d5f8741e&attid=0.1&permmsgid

Below is the view from under the window facing towards the bathroom.

Edited by DawnM

15 minutes ago, DawnM said:

The first photo is a little alcove.   When you walk in, there is a little area to the left, this is that area.

0?ui=2&ik=32d5f8741e&attid=0.1&permmsgid

Below is the view from under the window facing towards the bathroom.

0?ui=2&ik=32d5f8741e&attid=0.2&permmsgid

The pictures aren’t posting for me.  

1 minute ago, DawnM said:

Ok, I can't seem to upload them at the moment, are both posts like that?   you can not seen any of them?

Yes, they are both like that. The first pic came through fine, it's the last two that have the question mark.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jaybee said:

Yes, they are both like that. The first pic came through fine, it's the last two that have the question mark.

Ok, well, you get an idea then.  I will play around with the others later, I uploaded them the same way and I can see them so I have no idea what the issue is.

• Like 2