Menu

October craft thread

Melissa in Australia

I have a large leftover yardage of white chiffon from all of my years of event planning (weddings primarily). I am going to make simple ghosts go hang from the trees for Halloween. I will just cut squares, gather up from the center and stuff the head with some poly fiberfil, tie off with clear fishing line and leave enough length of line for tying to tree branches, and then put eyes on them with a fine tip marker. Easy peasy. My grandsons will get a kick out of them.

I have some Styrofoam to cut with a hot wire into bat shapes that I will then spray paint black but edge with glow in the dark paint using a brush. I will punch a hole through the head of the bat to run fishing line through so those can hang as well, and then I need to make a party welcome sign for the front fence so our grandsons' friends know they have arrived at the right place for the party. The mountain house has spotty cell phone reception for most folks so their navigation might drop once they turn onto our road. At least when they drive past the sign they will know, "there it is".

So most of what I am doing this month is for the party. However, I will be planning out a Christmas throw quilt as well. It might not get sewn until November since I will be spending two weeks in Alabama with the grands and doing most of the party work. Dd is doing great recovering from her bout with long covid, but we are still quite careful with her. She gets to do the things that she can from the couch like make up the clues for the scavenger hunt, put treats in bags, fill the carved out mini pumpkins with berries and kiwi. But, the physical stuff is all on son in law, Mark, and myself. 

I will have a bit of a list for November. I want to make up some sort of cornucopia, and I want to make harvest themed cloth napkins for the whole crew. My mother in law and mom always want to buy holiday themed paper napkins, and I am tired of filling landfills with them, so am determined this year to make 14napkins for TDay, Christmas, and Easter, and I want to keep extra of each fabric around so of the other two sons ever had a life partner to our mix, I will have enough to make more.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Do paintings count? I'm going to put it up on Redbubble, so I'll delete it off here tomorrow, but for now...

(For a friend's sister in law because, upon her toddler's diagnosis, an auntie was so mean SIL cried for days.)

[pic deleted]

Paintings for sure count. And man, I would like to rip into the mean woman! So disgusting and inhuman.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I started piecing a quilted table runner using a pack of autumn themed charm squares. Waiting on my new sewing machine to quilt it. 

Also working on some english paper piecing hexagons...not sure what to DO with them though, lol. And I used spring fabric....so yeah, lol. Ideas on what to do with hexagon EPP blocks welcome! Applique to a pillowcase or something? Potholder? Another table runner? (that might work, actually)

Going to try this craft with the kids once I pick up the supplies. (thought I'd be smart and have walmart deliver it - yeah, after the storm delivery is on hold until wednesday - so need to decide if I want to wait or drive my butt to joanne's or what) Oh, but I'm going to use regular felt cause they are kids and wool felt sounds expensive. https://www.positivelysplendid.com/leaf-embroidery-hoop-art-fall-decor/

• Like 7

Oh, I want to do some "one stroke" paintings for fall - I saw quite a few on Donna whatever her name is's youtube. I usually enjoy making those. just need to force myself to sit down and get the paint out. I started to do it the other night and the kids decided it was family board game night instead. 

Oh, and it was end of september, not october, but I made some unpaper towels in a fallish themed flannel. They fit on my old paper towel roll! (I actually have zero guilt about using paper towels really, but these look cute, and I hate cleaning anything with paper towels as they fall apart too easily and I'm too cheap to buy the ones that don't)

• Like 4

If anyone has easy fall quilting crafts, with tutorial link, I'd love them!

Also, would love some ideas for kid friendly fall crafts - actual crafts, not precut construction paper nonsense. Kids are 5, 10, and almost 13. Especially need stuff for the 5 yr old who is super creative and crafty and drives me nuts wanting to do stuff, lol. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I started piecing a quilted table runner using a pack of autumn themed charm squares. Waiting on my new sewing machine to quilt it. 

Also working on some english paper piecing hexagons...not sure what to DO with them though, lol. And I used spring fabric....so yeah, lol. Ideas on what to do with hexagon EPP blocks welcome! Applique to a pillowcase or something? Potholder? Another table runner? (that might work, actually)

Going to try this craft with the kids once I pick up the supplies. (thought I'd be smart and have walmart deliver it - yeah, after the storm delivery is on hold until wednesday - so need to decide if I want to wait or drive my butt to joanne's or what) Oh, but I'm going to use regular felt cause they are kids and wool felt sounds expensive. https://www.positivelysplendid.com/leaf-embroidery-hoop-art-fall-decor/

http://sewdelicious.com.au/2016/03/10-gorgeous-hexie-projects.html

This video is a bit long, so you might want to skim it.

https://www.pinterest.com/readerowl/hexagon-projects/

https://thesewingloftblog.com/13-amazing-hexagon-projects/

https://flamingotoes.com/30-colorful-hexagon-projects-sew/  

• Like 4

If you happen upon wool sweaters or wool scarves at a thrift store, you can felt them yourself. It is about the only way to craft with wool these days because it is so darn expensive now. 

• Like 1

Also, would love some ideas for kid friendly fall crafts - actual crafts, not precut construction paper nonsense. Kids are 5, 10, and almost 13. Especially need stuff for the 5 yr old who is super creative and crafty and drives me nuts wanting to do stuff, lol. 

Dd was like that when she was 5 and drove me super batty. So I made her a pattern for 4x4 blocks, showed her how to hand sew the blocks together, and said, "Do not bother me again about projects until you have made a couple of quilt tops for your baby dolls. Then I will show you how to finish them by hand. Be Laura Ingalls." 😁 It kept her busy for quite a while. This of course shows you about how much I like to craft with children. Way back when the kids were young and going to VBS, I had a church leader ask me if I would be willing to head up the crafts. I said, "Not only do parents hate getting all of those cheap, oriental trading company crafts, but I would rather be shot than organize crafts with children!" So I happily was put in charge of music which was my forte anyway. 

But, if I had to do a craft with kids, I would make sun prints because it is a craft, an art, and a science all wrapped up in one, and once they learn how to do it, you won't need to supervise. They can happily harvest plant life around the yard and have at it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'm feeling the craft itch but can't find a project I really want right now.

Instead I'm going to make these with our 10 and 8yo grandsons. I've saved two Tide and two Gain containers through the year so they can each make both if they want.

https://hip2save.com/diy/halloween-decorations-with-laundry-pod-containers/

tide pod halloween decor on the counter

• Like 14

11 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I have a lot of projects planned for this month see if I can attach a photo

I re-covered the mini needle rocking chair that goes with my treadle 

received_2936870766609407.jpeg

Cute! Does it rock along as you sew? If so, I would be tempted to make one if those dried apple dolls to sit in the chair. I guess I would also have to make a hat to serve as a pincushion then. Ok, I would probably never actually do it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 10/2/2022 at 10:30 AM, ktgrok said:

I’m going to make these bookmarks with my 6yo dd.  Looks pretty simple and she can give them as Christmas gifts.

https://happiestcamper.com/how-to-sew-reading-bookmarks-for-kids/

• Like 7

I'm currently crafting for dogs and cats!

I'm part of a team organizing a blessing of the animals.  Today I am fine tuning the activities I'm providing.  One activity is making "cat nip knots" and another is a braided dog toy.  People can keep what they make or add it to the pet food donation we're making to a food pantry.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Besides a little crafting with my 6yo, I pan to get back into some quilting projects.  I have a large hot pad and potholder that have been waiting since mid-summer for binding to be sewn on to be finished.  I want to make a few more sets to give as gifts.   Next month a friend who is a much better quilter than I am, is having a quilting class to make some quilted pillows.  I just bought the precut squares for that.  Once they arrive, it’s going to be hard to wait to get started.

• Like 5

Does Halloween costumes/cosplay count? I spent all day yesterday paper mache’ing a mask for younger dd. I still have several more steps to go (plasti-dip and spray paint. And eye holes…)

I also have to make older DD’s mask but hers is sculpting foam and I’ve never done that before. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

Cute! Does it rock along as you sew? If so, I would be tempted to make one if those dried apple dolls to sit in the chair. I guess I would also have to make a hat to serve as a pincushion then. Ok, I would probably never actually do it.

I don't have it on the sewing machine table when I see. I need the space.. I will have to try and see if it rocks along

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

Does Halloween costumes/cosplay count? I spent all day yesterday paper mache’ing a mask for younger dd. I still have several more steps to go (plasti-dip and spray paint. And eye holes…)

I also have to make older DD’s mask but hers is sculpting foam and I’ve never done that before. 

Absolutly counts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

Totally counts. What is plasti-dip? Do you actually have to dip the mask in? I'm guessing it is a product that dd would enjoy for some of her crafting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

Totally counts. What is plasti-dip? Do you actually have to dip the mask in? I'm guessing it is a product that dd would enjoy for some of her crafting.

They do sell it in cans to dip items in (it’s marketed to dip tool handles in, to rubberize and make grippy). For crafting, I’ve only used the spray version (it’s in home improvement stores with spray paint). It creates a thick coating, so it’s good for covering imperfections and seams. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2022 at 8:30 AM, ktgrok said:

Do you have a knitting loom? I just bought a set for my DD5's bday in hopes we can start together and then it'll keep her occupied 🤞

• Like 1

Still working on the Cheshire Cat cross stitch and the Oregon trail cross stitch. First time stitching on black Aida cloth, it hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Dh lent me his work lamp and it makes it fairly easy to see the holes in black Aida.

I will admit thought both cross stitches have been put aside this week for one of my other hobbies, video gaming lol. I have a character that needs leveled with the new game expansion and that has been eating all my free time this week.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

My crafting is on hold unless you count that I cut some muslin to use for towels because I really do not want to use paper towels anymore if I can help it.  I wanted something I could hand wash quickly, hang to dry, and wouldn't take forever to do so.

I did grab some glow in the dark orange tulle for making treat bags for Nathanial's party (grandson). I am not going to sew them. We will pile the treats in the middle of a square, pull it up on the sides, and tie with gross grain black ribbon that says "boo" in orange on it. However, I have way more than I need so in a few days I am going to take part of it, cut into large circles, pull up around toilet paper rolls, tuck the fabric into the tube on top, and make a green leaf and stick a twig with a leaf from my maple trees into each tube to make pumpkins that will glow in the dark. We will scatter those about the yard along with the ghosts that will hang from the trees.

Still haven't made the other napkins. And the reason for that is that the apple tree, the one I have dubbed "The Tree of Gondor", has produced a bushel of the most beautiful honey crisp apples I have ever seen in the tops of the tree, 20-25 ft high. I just can't let them go to waste. So I have been gently shaking them out, and have another BUSHEL to make into apple chips, apple sauce, and spiced apple cider. So when the tree finally stops killing me or I admit defeat, I will report back that I have accomplished something at my sewing machine.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

Still working on the Cheshire Cat cross stitch and the Oregon trail cross stitch. First time stitching on black Aida cloth, it hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Dh lent me his work lamp and it makes it fairly easy to see the holes in black Aida.

I will admit thought both cross stitches have been put aside this week for one of my other hobbies, video gaming lol. I have a character that needs leveled with the new game expansion and that has been eating all my free time this week.

I love cross-stitch on black Aida. Years ago I made a carousel horse on black Aida for my best friend--the colors are so bold and bright against the dark background.

• Like 3

I am going to have a booth at the children’s fall fest later this month. I’m making some cloth gift bags. I watched the tutorial like 3x before sewing and still think something was unclear. Anyway, I probably need to get pinking shears to make the seams less fragile. Or do some extra folding. Blech ha 

I put my own spin on it with cord lock and pony beads. I plan to get some holiday fabric to market these mostly for Christmas but will see if I can make some for birthday or all occasions. 

D4AE2D5A-CD08-4CF3-B6B6-70D4F47F11C9.jpeg

• Like 11

I took the extra time to fold over the fabric edge on the casing and this one came out better. I also figured out where I went wrong with the first bag. Main hiccup is where the ribbon comes out. When she does this folding step/sews around the casing opening… it’s a pain to sew it right. 

https://youtu.be/xmkbm-CpJvQ

I thought this fabric might work for a young child or baby gift. 

C297288A-F1F5-4CC4-89F9-BD2E693D3F17.jpeg

• Like 13

8 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I took the extra time to fold over the fabric edge on the casing and this one came out better. I also figured out where I went wrong with the first bag. Main hiccup is where the ribbon comes out. When she does this folding step/sews around the casing opening… it’s a pain to sew it right. 

https://youtu.be/xmkbm-CpJvQ

I thought this fabric might work for a young child or baby gift. 

C297288A-F1F5-4CC4-89F9-BD2E693D3F17.jpeg

Very very cute!!!

• Thanks 1

This summer, when things quiet down, I'm going to attempt to sew some of these https://www.etsy.com/listing/937407030/viewables-pouches-pdf-sewing-pattern?click_key=7ad71aabe8e0194cd469bfb83ffa3507902b68ce%3A937407030&click_sum=99586315&ref=hp_rf-1

They will be used as project bags for my various cross-stitch WIPS, but could be used for all kinds of things.

• Like 6

This is what I made last night. We were provided all materials including different color paints for our boards. Some people made fall boards, some Halloween boards, and some Thanksgiving. I already have a generic fall decoration and a Halloween board but nothing specific to Thanksgiving so that's what I decided to do.

It also did what I hoped it would - motivated me to do more crafting. 

20221008_091854.jpg

• Like 19

I've been plinking away at my enormous, elaborate cross-stitch. I'm still in the beginning stages. Though I have stitched away, it's so complicated and elaborate with many colors packed into each section that it just takes a lot longer. It's both really fun to work on something truly grand for once, but also a little discouraging at how long this takes. I am remembering the carousel horse I stitched many years ago--it took forever, mostly because I only worked on it in dribs and drabs here and there. For this huge, complicated picture, I think I need to try to be a little more disciplined about doing it in a daily way. It's easier to keep in mind because the frame in the living room is huge.

My other conundrum is that I have been thinking for years about stitching up some little family portraits for my extended family for Christmas sometime. There's no time to do it for this year obviously. But I think we've finally hit the stage when no more babies will be born to the current generation, so I can stitch up a family portrait with some assurance that the family is as it will be for the foreseeable future. (I ran into a similar situation several years ago when I bought a family matching puppy mugs from Etsy, one for each. Then they had another baby and I had to track down the Etsy seller and find one more.) I was thinking of possibly doing that next year, before the oldest teenagers get married and make things complicated again. But that's a big project as I am the oldest of five siblings and they all have plenty of kids. So I'm thinking I'll keep plinking along with the current Starry Night picture, and then maybe divide my focus in the New Year to possibly also do the family portraits. Decisions, decisions...

• Like 9

21 hours ago, Kareni said:

I was at an art gathering yesterday and the theme was flowers. While the others sketched, I made some flower cards as representational art is not my forte. (If they look like pinwheels to you, you are in good company.) 

IMG_0782.thumb.jpg.a1fbb9d00485bd07262503b72114644a.jpg

Regards,

Kareni

those are gorgeous! I'm not much for drawing either - not my skill set. 

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

This is what I made last night. We were provided all materials including different color paints for our boards. Some people made fall boards, some Halloween boards, and some Thanksgiving. I already have a generic fall decoration and a Halloween board but nothing specific to Thanksgiving so that's what I decided to do.

It also did what I hoped it would - motivated me to do more crafting. 

20221008_091854.jpg

I love this - is that rope or? for the words?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harriet Vane said:

I've been plinking away at my enormous, elaborate cross-stitch. I'm still in the beginning stages. Though I have stitched away, it's so complicated and elaborate with many colors packed into each section that it just takes a lot longer. It's both really fun to work on something truly grand for once, but also a little discouraging at how long this takes. I am remembering the carousel horse I stitched many years ago--it took forever, mostly because I only worked on it in dribs and drabs here and there. For this huge, complicated picture, I think I need to try to be a little more disciplined about doing it in a daily way. It's easier to keep in mind because the frame in the living room is huge.

My other conundrum is that I have been thinking for years about stitching up some little family portraits for my extended family for Christmas sometime. There's no time to do it for this year obviously. But I think we've finally hit the stage when no more babies will be born to the current generation, so I can stitch up a family portrait with some assurance that the family is as it will be for the foreseeable future. (I ran into a similar situation several years ago when I bought a family matching puppy mugs from Etsy, one for each. Then they had another baby and I had to track down the Etsy seller and find one more.) I was thinking of possibly doing that next year, before the oldest teenagers get married and make things complicated again. But that's a big project as I am the oldest of five siblings and they all have plenty of kids. So I'm thinking I'll keep plinking along with the current Starry Night picture, and then maybe divide my focus in the New Year to possibly also do the family portraits. Decisions, decisions...

I have several cross-stitch projects going.  I have a bigger/more involved one, I have one that is monochrome because sometimes I just want to put the stitches in and not worry about all the color changes and beads, and a small one (usually kept in my car).  I rotate through these when I'm tired of doing my very involved stitch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

I love this - is that rope or? for the words?

It's some sort of craft braid. You can stretch it to make it thinner or leave it puffy - I did kind of in between. The woman running the thing said she got it at Michaels. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2