Menu

Simple lunch foods to go

Tree Frog

Last year when I worked at the school, I ate a bowl of Cheerios with a glass of milk for breakfast and took a pb&j for lunch everyday. I made them the previous weekend and put them in the freezer. I'd grab one and add a bag of Sun Chips. That was lunch. I frequently felt bloated. 

This summer I spent with my daughters, both of whom easy only when they're hungry. So we frequently didn't eat breakfast, then had lunch and dinner. My appetite decreased and I wasn't bloated.

I'm back at school for staff days before the kids return on Monday and have been afraid to not eat breakfast because sometimes I get hangry and shaky. So I've been eating Cheerios again. I've been exhausted at the end of the day and have been eating more at night, including toast and bread. I'm starting to feel bloated again and I've had uncomfortable gas.

All that to explain that I'd like to take something for lunch I can quickly eat, isn't to messy, doesn't require a microwave (though I have access to one), and doesn't require a fridge (I have access to a fridge, too, though, if needed.) I'd like it to be something fairly easy to make that I can portion out over the weekend and just grab each morning.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions? 

I know you asked about lunch, but I’m wondering if you should eat something like an egg muffin ( I can’t remember what they are called but they are like quiches made in muffin cups) Cheerios are pure starch and don’t have much staying power. So maybe if you had a muffin cup  and fruit and toast and milk for breakfast, you would feel better later in the day. Lunches are the bane of my existence but I’m thinking make a bean and corn salad and eat it all week with corn muffins. Or hummus with pita chips and fruit. 

• Like 6

I often take deconstructed salads, and eat them without salad dressing.  Then they don't get mushy and can be finger food.  So, maybe just a handful of spinach, pecans, raspberries, and a cheesestick (or cubes of cheese or a babybel). Maybe some sweet potato chips on the side.  If I can't find fresh raspberries, I'll just put some frozen ones in my drink and eat them when they thaw.  I find I can eat smaller amounts, feel more full, and don't upset my stomach when I eat this way on the go. 

Another combo could be cherry tomatoes, sliced cucumber, a few leaves of romaine,  rolled up ham slices, and applesauce.  Could also add a banana, cheese, a boiled egg, or a muffin.  

Spinach, mandarin oranges, wonton strips, slivered almonds, pre grilled chicken slices.

An apple, handful of grapes, handful of walnuts, maybe cheese or grilled chicken pieces.  If you buy packages of mayonnaise, you can just squeeze some into your bowl and stir this all up.  Eat it on a leaf of romaine lettuce.

Salads like this can easily be kept cool enough in a lunch tote, and no need to heat. Actually, most of the components don't need to be kept cool at all. Just the cheese or chicken or egg. And there are lots of combinations so you won't get bored.  

ETA Sometimes I feel munchy later in the day when I eat this way, and I've discovered I need something crunchy and some salt.  A small handful of sweet potato chips, popcorn with a little extra salt, a couple pieces of bacon, or sometimes a rice cake or Ritz crackers.  Also, a well timed small piece of dark chocolate in the afternoon is a nice boost. 

Edited by thewellerman
  • Like 2

I make a banana peanut butter oat breakfast cookie.  Assuming there are no peanut allergies there, this would work - fairly nutritious and easy to eat, no refrigeration necessary.  If there were peanut allergies, I'd probably try this with almond butter. 

This is the recipe I use. I use only about half the honey. I find that plenty sweet enough, and it still sticks together just fine. These are not sticky to the touch, but maybe if they sat in the heat of the car, they might be.  Sometimes I will add ground flax seed or Brewer's yeast (not much at all though)

I make two bunches and freeze them and take them out as I want. These are my breakfast. 

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/banana-oat-breakfast-cookies/

• Like 5

I take a lunch crock to work. I plug it in in the morning and it’s hot and ready by lunch. The food tastes better than when it’s microwaved. Also, I can pack up leftovers so I’m eating real food. I even freeze some things in the short sour cream tubs and it’s the perfect size to move straight to the lunch crock. Smells don’t escape it like regular or mini crockpots and you just need an outlet. 

I could sell these things. I love them. 

ETA:  I take breakfast to work too. (10 hour day) I usually bring a couple pieces of fruit or a yogurt. I also have a jar of “work peanut butter” in case I need a protein hit. I even have a full tea service there, but that might be a bit much. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

I made mason jar salads for the first few days of the week, and then cooked chicken breasts + took fruit for the second half of the week. You can absolutely marinate and cook them on Sunday and then eat them cold later in the week. Carrots, apples, clementines---there are plenty of healthy things you can take that are almost no prep to go with the chicken breast.

There's no way I could handle all of the carbs you describe in your meals; I would have reactive hypoglycemia.

ETA: These are grab and go low carb breakfast ideas. The writer of the blog worked in schools and had the same issues (had to eat an easy quick cold lunch) for years. You might browse the website for more ideas.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1

Do you know what would trigger bloating for you? For example, bread products and cereals would make me feel that my digestive system is unhappy, even if the bread is gluten free. However, eating bread like a toddler taking bite size pieces and chewing like crazy reduces bloat. There are some FOMAPs (https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/a-new-diet-to-manage-irritable-bowel-syndrome) that cause me bloat, heartburn and sometimes diarrhea, but I can eat most of them. 

Did you have more time to slowly eat and digest your food in summer? For example, I could eat a high protein no carbs lunch in 10mins or just eat a chocolate hazelnut bar and be okay but would need to eat a rice/noodle dish or sandwich/burger in hopefully 30mins or longer to digest properly. 

• Like 1

I'd experiment on the weekends with a less bread based diet to see if that helps. 

Here are some possible lunches that I make for ds:

coconut rice & chicken skewers, fruit

rolled lunch meat, cheese, fruit, crackers

regular sticky rice, chicken or beef, roasted veggies (green beans, red onion, possibly sweet potato)

falafel, yogurt dip, dates & almonds, cucumber salad

I make other things, too, but these are less wheat based and definitely less yeast based.  Also, much of our house is eh with milk at breakfast.  Oatmeal is a better choice for us than cereal, but eggs, yogurt, or chia pudding are more common right now.

• Like 1

My go-to-on-the-go meal(breakfast or lunch)/snack last year was a container of nuts (I love macadamia, and peanuts are OK, but any favorites would work, as would something like pumpkin or sunflower seeds), dried fruit (usually dried cherries, but cranberries, raisins, or apples would be fine) and some dark chocolate chocolate chips.  I also like protein-heavy salads - if I needed them daily I'd probably do it in jars at least 3 days at a time.  In a pinch I buy those bagged salads with various toppings included, but for twice this week I've made a BLT-inspired salad (spinach, bacon, boiled egg, tomato, and dressing).  I also like making chicken or tuna salad and eating it with a fork, plain or on a bed of greens, or with just a couple of crackers.  

We are also big on leftovers for lunch.  Anything that can be combined in a bowl (over rice, potatoes, or couscous, unless you decide that carbs are the bloating issue - if so, then skip them) can be heated and put in a thermos.  Leftover meat, chopped or shredded, leftover veggies, etc, or something like a stir-fry.  If you have a cold sauce or dressing to drizzle on it, or a few chopped cold veggies for crunch, then just pack in a small container and they'll be fine at room temp, or you can pack along with an icy drink in a water bottle to keep cold.  I have 2 small thermoses from when the kids were little, and I've gotten some bigger ones now that they eat bigger meals.  We also do things like chili or goulash or soup in a thermos in the winter, but right now it's hot and salads sound better and the produce is fresh.  Casseroles or things like shepherds pie also hold well in the thermos.  

Edited by Clemsondana
  • Like 2

That kind of carry stuff would make me bloated, too. And oddly enough make me feel more hungry, which makes so sense to me. 

I do well with bento style meals, especially leftover cold grilled chicken, cherry tomatoes, other raw veggies, small crunchy pickles or olives, some cheese, apple slices or some berries, 5-6 crackers, and a boiled egg if I’m having it at breakfast. I prep on Sunday and takes me a minute or two to toss together when it’s time to go, or eat at home.

• Like 2

I put yogurt and berries in individual portions that can be grabbed quickly for a breakfast or lunch (and I keep some nuts on hand to add a crunchy option).  I will also put grapes and cheese cubes or cheese cubes and pepperoni slices in individual containers.  I have some plastic mason jars that are a good size and travel well. 

Apples and peanut butter can be quick options.  I like chicken salad with some sliced veggies on the side.  I also find that a spinach salad with some blueberries or sliced strawberries sprinkled with feta cheese and pecans holds up well in the fridge for several days and then I can add a dressing when I am ready to eat it.  

All of those items can be kept cool enough in a lunch bag with an ice pack if a fridge is not handy.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Annie G said:

That kind of carry stuff would make me bloated, too. And oddly enough make me feel more hungry, which makes so sense to me. 

I do well with bento style meals, especially leftover cold grilled chicken, cherry tomatoes, other raw veggies, small crunchy pickles or olives, some cheese, apple slices or some berries, 5-6 crackers, and a boiled egg if I’m having it at breakfast. I prep on Sunday and takes me a minute or two to toss together when it’s time to go, or eat at home.

I would guess it makes you hungry because it’s high carb. Your body pumps out insulin and too much insulin makes you very hungry. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Tree Frog said:

Last year when I worked at the school, I ate a bowl of Cheerios with a glass of milk for breakfast and took a pb&j for lunch everyday. I made them the previous weekend and put them in the freezer. I'd grab one and add a bag of Sun Chips. That was lunch. I frequently felt bloated. 

This summer I spent with my daughters, both of whom easy only when they're hungry. So we frequently didn't eat breakfast, then had lunch and dinner. My appetite decreased and I wasn't bloated.

I'm back at school for staff days before the kids return on Monday and have been afraid to not eat breakfast because sometimes I get hangry and shaky. So I've been eating Cheerios again. I've been exhausted at the end of the day and have been eating more at night, including toast and bread. I'm starting to feel bloated again and I've had uncomfortable gas.

All that to explain that I'd like to take something for lunch I can quickly eat, isn't to messy, doesn't require a microwave (though I have access to one), and doesn't require a fridge (I have access to a fridge, too, though, if needed.) I'd like it to be something fairly easy to make that I can portion out over the weekend and just grab each morning.

Cheerios would leave we hungry and shaky a few hours later - lots of carbs but nothing sustaining. Muesli or overnight oats with nuts or seeds, or with a good amount of yoghurt, would give a balance of complex carbohydrates,  protein and fats.

I make food to take to work that can be eaten at room temperature,  then portion it out in advance. Something like black beans with paprika plus a quinoa salad with radish and celery, with a piece of fruit.

• Like 3

My go to breakfast at work or home is defrosted frozen blueberries combined with plan Greek yogurt and some plain almonds on the side. This could also make an easy lunch and you can vary the fruit and nuts.

As others have said, I think you should try making both your breakfast and lunch contain more protein and less carbs. Personally, I love leftovers for lunch because I like a hot meal, so I often plan meals accordingly. But other things I enjoy are apple slices with peanut butter or cheese and grilled chicken with roasted vegetables. I can make a big batch on the weekend and eat it everyday for lunch. I find that eating low carb during work hours keeps me much more alert and productive.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 2

I didn't know any better for years and used to eat sugary things for breakfast and get hungry right away. Not a good way to start the day. So later realized I need protein at breakfast to do my best. So if I ever eat something like french toast or pancakes, I try to eat it with bacon or eggs. Cereal is a terrible breakfast for me. If I eat toast I try to eat a complex carb like the Ezekiel bread. 

I also realized I seem to be hypoglycemic. 

Breakfast - you could boil eggs in advance and eat a hard boiled egg as part of your breakfast. 
For my meal prep I tend to cook off chicken one or two days a week and use it in salads or other meals. I keep a big pyrex bowl of lettuce in the fridge. 

Most of my suggestions will require a fridge (lettuce, salad dressing, eggs, chicken). You can do the PB & J again but I'd suggest re-evaluating the bread and/or type of spreads you use. One brand vs another (less ingredients). 

I have been staying away from deli meat because of the nitrites/nitrates and sodium, but those are a fairly simply item. Just require a fridge. 

Instead of Sun Chips, maybe you can grab a fruit cup or protein bar or such? I don't personally have a great fondness of many of the healthy bars lol. I only eat the Quaker Oat ones if the kids talk me into buying them because in the past if I ate too often they would send me to the bathroom. That hasn't been a problem lately (we bought some recently) but I hurt my jaw on some of them because they weren't as soft and fresh. 

I would suggest keeping some peanut butter crackers handy. That's one of my go-to snacks. Some people like the ones with cheese. Another new snack of mine is "Skinny" rice cakes. THey sell Skinny Pop, too. You might have to buy a big bag and portion into smaller ones. I do think they sell the smaller bags at Sam's in bulk possibly, but not the rice cake ones which I prefer. 

You could cut up fruit ahead, but I'd use the fridge for that unless you want to put a block of blue ice in a cooler. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I made mason jar salads for the first few days of the week, and then cooked chicken breasts + took fruit for the second half of the week. You can absolutely marinate and cook them on Sunday and then eat them cold later in the week. Carrots, apples, clementines---there are plenty of healthy things you can take that are almost no prep to go with the chicken breast.

There's no way I could handle all of the carbs you describe in your meals; I would have reactive hypoglycemia.

ETA: These are grab and go low carb breakfast ideas. The writer of the blog worked in schools and had the same issues (had to eat an easy quick cold lunch) for years. You might browse the website for more ideas.

That reminded me I used to make mason jars of overnight oats and then grab to go the next day. I could add the fruit just before I left. I don't remember if I ever added fruit ahead. 

• Like 1

I really prefer a hot, easy lunch so I always bring a thermos to work. Generally it’s just leftovers from dinner the night before. I heat it nice and hot while I grab my coffee, put it in the thermos and…done! I’ve also made something simple I really like (like an easy vegetable soup) over the weekend and just heat a portion each morning. All I have to do is add a napkin and a fork or spoon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

That reminded me I used to make mason jars of overnight oats and then grab to go the next day. I could add the fruit just before I left. I don't remember if I ever added fruit ahead. 

Berries and apples are ok to add as you do the initial mixing if you consume within a couple of days. By day 3 it’s sketchy. It’s so easy to just mix up nightly for the next morning—I think that’s the best option.

• Like 2

I had the same lunch almost every day last year at school. Salad w/ greens, pickled beets, and a scoop of cottage cheese (I put that in a separate container until lunch). Somehow I never got sick of it! 

Sargento makes the balanced breaks snack containers - I like the almonds, cheddar, and craisin one. 

My coworker brings baby carrots, grape tomatoes, and cheddar cheese every day for lunch. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

High fiber + high protein are a good combination for being satisfied longer: hummus and carrots, apples and nutbutter. A good quality full fat plain Greek yogurt with your favorite berries (fresh or dried without added sugars),  nuts, and sprinkled with high protein granola is tasty and filling.

High quality fats like avocados and coconut milk are filling too and feed your brain. Avocado toast with an egg fried or scrambled egg on a high quality wheat bread (higher in fiber and protein) are good.

Natural fructose found in fruits (fresh or dried with no added sugar) that have fiber in them or other important nutrients like cherries, bananas, apples, pears, oranges, etc.  are good too. It's a little energy bump keep your blood sugar up without spiking it sky high before a crash later. Have some with a handful of your favorite unsalted or lightly salted nuts and/or seeds for protein and other minerals.

If you still want some Cheerios because you like it, give it nutritional heft by adding whole milk, chopped or sliced nuts, dried or fresh berries, and banana slices.

• Like 3

For lunch, I take a small salad with beans or grilled tofu and a small silicone squeeze bottle of dressing. I assemble the salads for a few days in glass containers in the fridge and just grab them to go. I eat low carb so I don't add any rice or pasta to it normally. But, if I felt like it, I will cook a batch of quinoa, barley or bulgur with herbs, pepper and salt and store in the fridge and add on top of the salad for a complex carbohydrate. This way, I can eat something nutritious, eat my veggies for the day and not feel hungry.

My DH eats a lot of carbs and for him, I batch cook sweet potato quesadillas, black bean burritos, stir fried brown rice with veggies and edamame beans etc and I reheat the food in the morning and wrap in a layer of parchment with a layer of aluminum foil on top and it stays warm in his insulated lunch bag. I also add a greek yoghurt and fruit in the side compartment of his lunch bag.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I take a lunch crock to work. I plug it in in the morning and it’s hot and ready by lunch. The food tastes better than when it’s microwaved. Also, I can pack up leftovers so I’m eating real food. I even freeze some things in the short sour cream tubs and it’s the perfect size to move straight to the lunch crock. Smells don’t escape it like regular or mini crockpots and you just need an outlet. 

I could sell these things. I love them. 

ETA:  I take breakfast to work too. (10 hour day) I usually bring a couple pieces of fruit or a yogurt. I also have a jar of “work peanut butter” in case I need a protein hit. I even have a full tea service there, but that might be a bit much. 

Would you please link the crock? Sounds neat. I like to make hearty soups and portion out single servings to freeze and take for lunch. I’ve microwaved them but your crock intrigues me. 

15 hours ago, Annie G said:

For me it would be the milk causing the bloating - OP is that a possibility? I agree with those suggesting a higher protein breakfast. I often make a smoothie with a scoop of vegan pea protein powder, it’s very filling (coconut milk, fruits, chia and flax seeds, sometimes greens). Egg bites like they sell at Starbucks are super easy to make and have ready for breakfast. Then a solid lunch, with vegetables and protein. I’d be happy to eat a bowl of Cheerios for dinner, if I could tolerate the milk; sometimes I have a bowl of oatmeal with apples and walnuts, a sprinkle of cinnamon and ginger and a drizzle of maple syrup for my evening meal ( not right before bed, more like dinner time with some physical activity like a walk afterwards).

Protein makes a difference - easy take along protein includes boiled eggs, cheese sticks, Chomps beef/turkey sticks, Rx bars, nuts, Greek style yogurt. For a satisfying healthy fat hit I like those single serving sizes of avocado/guacamole. No need for chips, I just eat it with a spoon. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

Would you please link the crock? Sounds neat. I like to make hearty soups and portion out single servings to freeze and take for lunch. I’ve microwaved them but your crock intrigues me. 

For me it would be the milk causing the bloating - OP is that a possibility? I agree with those suggesting a higher protein breakfast. I often make a smoothie with a scoop of vegan pea protein powder, it’s very filling (coconut milk, fruits, chia and flax seeds, sometimes greens). Egg bites like they sell at Starbucks are super easy to make and have ready for breakfast. Then a solid lunch, with vegetables and protein. I’d be happy to eat a bowl of Cheerios for dinner, if I could tolerate the milk; sometimes I have a bowl of oatmeal with apples and walnuts, a sprinkle of cinnamon and ginger and a drizzle of maple syrup for my evening meal ( not right before bed, more like dinner time with some physical activity like a walk afterwards).

Protein makes a difference - easy take along protein includes boiled eggs, cheese sticks, Chomps beef/turkey sticks, Rx bars, nuts, Greek style yogurt. For a satisfying healthy fat hit I like those single serving sizes of avocado/guacamole. No need for chips, I just eat it with a spoon. 

Here ya go: Lunch Crock

They make a bigger one, but this size is plenty for me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for all the suggestions! You all have some great ideas. Some I'm picking up at the store today, some I'm making today. Some of your ideas reminded me of things I've eaten in the past. It's amazing how much I forgot about things I used to eat regularly.

I tried to make yogurt last night, but heated the milk too much and it broke. So I'll be making it again tonight, portioning it out with fruit and possibly nuts, and eating it and hard boiled eggs for breakfast. I made some Thai brussel sprout curry soup today to put in the freezer for when it's cold and I'll make some chicken and spinach risotto for lunch this week. I'm also picking up some hummus and will portion that out to eat when I need a pick me up. If anyone has a good recipe for it, I'd love to try making it at home.

Those of you who make the mason jar salads: Do you eat them out of the jar or put them in a bowl and mix to combine? I have a bunch of recipes, but am hesitant because I always seem to make a mess when I pour them out.

I can't eat oatmeal, though I can eat it if it's an ingredient in a recipe. It's my one texture I can't eat.

I don't think it's the milk causing the bloating, though I'm drinking a lot less than I used to. I think it's the combo of Cheerios and white bread. I'm not going to eat more Cheerios and will significantly limit the bread until it's gone. (We have some loaves in the freezer.)

I have used a Thermos to take hot soups with me. I like the Crockpot and will probably order one. I'm a substitute teacher and in the past haven't known what kind of facilities would be available to me. Fortunately this year, my favorite school is opening a behavior unit with only one student full time. It's right next to a kitchen I can use (in the past I wasn't allowed), and will have a place to safely plug in the Crockpot in my classroom.

Earlier in the summer, Costco had some really good nut/dried fruit/cheese snack packs, similar to the Sargento, that were really good. When I went last weekend, I couldn't find any. I'm going again today and will look. They were a nice pick me up.

I have a couple of very ripe bananas, so will make the banana oatmeal cookies. I have everything except the whole wheat flour, but I can pick that up today.

Thank you so much for the ideas and suggestions! Please keep them coming. I don't mind repeats, but variety is good. 🙂

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tree Frog said:

Thank you for all the suggestions! You all have some great ideas. Some I'm picking up at the store today, some I'm making today. Some of your ideas reminded me of things I've eaten in the past. It's amazing how much I forgot about things I used to eat regularly.

I tried to make yogurt last night, but heated the milk too much and it broke. So I'll be making it again tonight, portioning it out with fruit and possibly nuts, and eating it and hard boiled eggs for breakfast. I made some Thai brussel sprout curry soup today to put in the freezer for when it's cold and I'll make some chicken and spinach risotto for lunch this week. I'm also picking up some hummus and will portion that out to eat when I need a pick me up. If anyone has a good recipe for it, I'd love to try making it at home.

Those of you who make the mason jar salads: Do you eat them out of the jar or put them in a bowl and mix to combine? I have a bunch of recipes, but am hesitant because I always seem to make a mess when I pour them out.

I can't eat oatmeal, though I can eat it if it's an ingredient in a recipe. It's my one texture I can't eat.

I don't think it's the milk causing the bloating, though I'm drinking a lot less than I used to. I think it's the combo of Cheerios and white bread. I'm not going to eat more Cheerios and will significantly limit the bread until it's gone. (We have some loaves in the freezer.)

I have used a Thermos to take hot soups with me. I like the Crockpot and will probably order one. I'm a substitute teacher and in the past haven't known what kind of facilities would be available to me. Fortunately this year, my favorite school is opening a behavior unit with only one student full time. It's right next to a kitchen I can use (in the past I wasn't allowed), and will have a place to safely plug in the Crockpot in my classroom.

Earlier in the summer, Costco had some really good nut/dried fruit/cheese snack packs, similar to the Sargento, that were really good. When I went last weekend, I couldn't find any. I'm going again today and will look. They were a nice pick me up.

I have a couple of very ripe bananas, so will make the banana oatmeal cookies. I have everything except the whole wheat flour, but I can pick that up today.

Thank you so much for the ideas and suggestions! Please keep them coming. I don't mind repeats, but variety is good. 🙂

So are the oats ok in other things? We had banana oatmeal cookies at my house recently. They are good. 

Do you have the same feelings about steel cut oats? For a while I used to eat those instead but they were more of a pain to prepare. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

So are the oats ok in other things? We had banana oatmeal cookies at my house recently. They are good. 

Do you have the same feelings about steel cut oats? For a while I used to eat those instead but they were more of a pain to prepare. 

I've never eaten steel cut oats, so I don't know. There is a recipe for banana peanut butter oatmeal cookies from @Bambamabove that I'm going to make today. Would you share your recipe? To the best of my knowledge, I won't have anyone with a pb allergy, but if I do, I might need a different recipe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tree Frog said:

I've never eaten steel cut oats, so I don't know. There is a recipe for banana peanut butter oatmeal cookies from @Bambamabove that I'm going to make today. Would you share your recipe? To the best of my knowledge, I won't have anyone with a pb allergy, but if I do, I might need a different recipe.

I sent you images. That was from my MIL’s recipe book. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tree Frog said:

I use the glasslock brand containers for salad and a silicone squeeze bottle for dressing.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/CCC1B0D7-F412-4D23-81B7-7B22CD42AD5F

you can get them from Amazon or target.

I find them easier to eat out of.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Tree Frog said:

Thai brussel sprout curry soup

Do you have a recipe for this?  I love both Thai food and brussel sprouts.

My go to lunch is a bunch of cut up veggies (cucumber, grape tomatoes, sweet peppers, carrots, broccoli) and some kind or protein -- hummus, fava, tuna salad, chicken salad, chick pea salad, lentil salad, leftover meat from dinner, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Do you have a recipe for this?  I love both Thai food and brussel sprouts.

My go to lunch is a bunch of cut up veggies (cucumber, grape tomatoes, sweet peppers, carrots, broccoli) and some kind or protein -- hummus, fava, tuna salad, chicken salad, chick pea salad, lentil salad, leftover meat from dinner, 

It's this recipe from Monkey and Me. I think someone here recommended it. It freezes well and is delicious!

33 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I traveled to a babysitting job today with Pyrex. I use all sizes. 4 cup etc. They come with lids. Bowls and rectangled dishes. I brought a salad. I don’t have the patience to do jars with salad. I’d make a mess preparing it 🤣

I would make a mess if I tried to use a mason jar. I have something similar to the ones mathnerd uses from Costco. I didn't think about using them for a salad. That would be another good option.

2 hours ago, mathnerd said:

I use the glasslock brand containers for salad and a silicone squeeze bottle for dressing.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/CCC1B0D7-F412-4D23-81B7-7B22CD42AD5F

you can get them from Amazon or target.

I find them easier to eat out of.

How far in advance do you make your salads? Would they last long enough if I made them on the weekend and use them the following week?

https://cookieandkate.com/southwestern-kale-power-salad/

I made this last week and I don't really like salad nor am I very healthy but I loved it! And it has quinoa, black beans and sweet potato so it's very filling. Instead of the avocado "dressing" you could buy the prepackaged avocado cups that would be easy to throw in a bag. I ate it 3 days after I made it and it was still good

• Like 1

I would make a mess if I tried to use a mason jar. I have something similar to the ones mathnerd uses from Costco. I didn't think about using them for a salad. That would be another good option.

How far in advance do you make your salads? Would they last long enough if I made them on the weekend and use them the following week?

If they are the Snapware Glass containers from Costco, they are perfect for salads and you don't need to buy the glass lock containers!

I make 4 salads on Sunday night, each with a slightly different combo or toppings with an added fruit (blueberries, mandarins, grapes etc) and they last until the following Thursday. I layer the components in the glass lock container but it should work if you mix it up as well. I don't add dressing to my salads and I keep it separate. I don't eat a salad on Fridays as I switch up my lunch to something else once a week.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1