Menu

Turmeric for knee pain??

Ottakee

I have arthritis in my knees.  X raya show they would qualify for knee replacement but since I am functional (meaning I can hike and backpack and bike and walk, etc) we want to hold off on surgery.

i am considering the cortisone injection when I see the doctor this week.  I just heard something about turmeric helping.

what form is best?  Dosage?  Any evidence it really helps?

Edited by Ottakee

I have autoimmune aches everywhere. I take cinnamon, ginger, and turmeric almost every day. I feel much better when I take them. It’s more effective than any over the counter pain killer.

The only side effect I’ve noticed is that turmeric is a blood thinner so I avoid that one during my period. If it works for you switch to ceylon cinnamon long term because the regular kind has some compound that’s bad for liver health long term.  I haven’t noticed much difference between the cheap ones from Walmart and the DIY version I made from organic Costco cooking spices. 

I have a friend with fibromyalgia who it doesn’t help at all. I think if you try taking it 4 times a day to start and it works for you it will be obvious in less than 3 days. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

@Katy what dose do you use of each?

I don’t know. For the last hour + I’ve been sitting outside my 3 year olds room chasing her back to bed. I think her Moderna vaccine wrecked her sleep schedule. Or probably the overstimulation of being out in public for the first time in her memory. 

Anyway I’d start with the smallest, cheapest bottles in stock at Walmart. Take them 4x a day. If it helps it will be obvious and you’ll feel so much better you’ll start forgetting to take them. If it makes no difference you’ll know in less than a week.

Edited by Katy
Weird typo
  • Like 2

Turmeric has been great for my knees. I have no idea about studies, just that it was certainly cheap enough to try and helped me, specifically. 

It's been a while, but my reaction was nowhere as quick as Katy's, but I also don't take it four times a day. I think a few weeks is much more typical (but huzzah if it's much faster!).  I take one or two 500 mg capsules per day, bc that's doable for me and has a good effect. I buy them from wherever they are on sale when I need them, and I've never noticed a difference between brands. They all work for me. I would personally get enough to take for at least two weeks, whatever dosage you are likely to stick to, bc when it does work, it's very helpful. 

I never noticed any difference with some other things, like glucosamine, so I'm confident I'm noticing a genuine difference. 

• Like 1

I have young onset Parkinson’s, plus fibromyalgia. ie: lots of stiffness and joint/muscle pain. I juice fresh turmeric and ginger at least 2 times a week, plus use infrared sauna 3 times a week. I also eliminated most dairy and all processed foods and meat. My chronic pain levels have decreased a lot, but I don’t know which has been most effective.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, happi duck said:

I've read that turmeric works better with black pepper added so most capsules will have some added.

You have to be very careful w that. The black pepper part they add can often cause microbleeds in the digestivr process.  I take turmeric along w scores of other things.  I had been noticing much darker stools and then read sbout that side effect. I went Consumer Lab and found out that you can get a lot out of turmeric by eating w fat.  I switched to one w/out the pepper.

• Thanks 1

My aunt has indefinitely postponed knee surgery because she started taking high doses of curcumin. I would definitely try it. I have used turmeric for inflammation for various medical issues, myself. I usually notice an effect in joints I didn't realize were bothering me (ankles/heels, and shoulders).

9 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I haven't tried it. What has helped with my arthritic knee is strength work - balances, etc  - to improve the muscular support around the knee.

I do yoga and water aerobics and my PT exercises and walk and hike and bike.  The first 3 are the most helpful as much of my water aerobics class fits what my PT gives me for exercises and same with the DDPY yoga

• Like 1

I've taken turmeric for years due to arthritis in my knees. I had reached the point I had to have the first shot in my knee due to the pain/difficulty walking, and you only get so much relief from that and each shot lasts less time, so I started taking the turmeric. I had one shot - probably 7 years ago now, and I've had off/on again pain (I take Meloxicam for approximately 1 week if I overdo/have pain), but it is infrequent, and much less. Is it because of the turmeric or something else?  I have no idea. 

I take the BioSchwartz Turmeric Curcumin with BioPerine 1500mg daily (just one in the morning every day). I did not know that about the black pepper causing microbleeds, so I will have to check into that. 

Minor bonus for the turmeric, I think it helps with regularity. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought some and it seems to be helping.

I just need someone to tell me which brand to buy and how much to take.  There are a million options out there.

cheap is great but I am willing to pay a bit if there is a brand/type that is much more effective

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

I bought some and it seems to be helping.

I just need someone to tell me which brand to buy and how much to take.  There are a million options out there.

cheap is great but I am willing to pay a bit if there is a brand/type that is much more effective

I used to buy the capsules that Costco sells, but that was getting a little expensive for me. So I started to fill my own capsules with Indus Organics Turmeric and some fresh ground pepper, put into size 00 capsules (all available on Amazon). It's way cheaper than buying capsules, but it takes some time to make them. I bought a capsule maker on Amazon, but I can't find it again, so you may have to find another capsule machine if you go this route. If you don't mind spending the money, I'd just go with the Costco capsules. I take two capsule a day, and it helps with knee and hand arthritis. Good luck! Glad it helps! 

• Like 1

My daughter makes a drink with fresh lemon, fresh grated ginger, ( bottled ginger juice would work too) and turmeric. A little stevia for sweetener. Fill a quart jar with ice and water. My husband loves it. 
I am on Blood thinners for Pulominary embolisms, so I stay away from turmeric. 

• Like 1

• Ottakee changed the title to Turmeric for knee pain??

My oncologist told me not to take turmeric supplements due to contraindications but the amount used for cooking is okay.
https://www.sps.nhs.uk/articles/considering-the-safety-and-interactions-of-turmeric/
“Dosage

• When it is taken as a medicine, a common dose of turmeric is 400 to 600 mg three times a day, which is equivalent to 60 g of fresh turmeric root or 15g of turmeric powder.
  • In clinical cancer trials, doses of 4000 to 8000 mg (4 to 8 g) a day of curcumin are typical.
  • Only high doses of curcumin are absorbed into the blood and can have an effect throughout the body.
  • Giving curcumin with piperine (a constituent of pepper) enhances the absorption of curcumin.”

https://www.sps.nhs.uk/articles/advising-patients-using-turmeric-on-its-potential-interactions/ (Long article)

“Interactions with specific medicines or groups of medicines

The following section provides advice and guidance on actions to take for medicines known to interact with turmeric.

Anticoagulants or antiplatelets

The risk of bleeding might be increased because turmeric may interfere with clotting by decreasing platelet aggregation.

Use caution when turmeric or curcumin are taken with medicines or supplements that have anticoagulant or antiplatelet (blood thinning) effects.

….

Antidiabetic medicines

Turmeric or curcumin might reduce blood glucose and increase the risk of hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar).

If a person has diabetes or takes herbal supplements that could reduce blood glucose levels, advise them to let their healthcare professional (e.g. doctor, nurse or pharmacist) know that they intend to take turmeric or curcumin before they start.

….

Chemotherapy

Taking turmeric or curcumin while you are undergoing cancer chemotherapy treatment is not recommended.

Curcumin might alter the effect of chemotherapy medicines.

….

Medicines metabolised by CYP450 enzymes

Use caution when taking turmeric or curcumin at the same time as conventional medicines that are metabolised (broken down) by these enzymes.

Curcumin might affect some CYP450 enzymes but evidence in humans to support this is lacking.

….

Hormone replacement therapy (HRT)

Use caution when taking turmeric or curcumin with HRT:

• Theoretically, curcumin in large amounts could interfere with HRT by competing for oestrogen receptors.
  • In vitro (test tube) research shows that curcumin can displace oestrogen from its receptors.

Loratadine, losartan, midazolam and verapamil

• Turmeric might raise levels of these medicines by inhibiting P-glycoprotein, which transports medicines out of cells.

Norfloxacin

• Turmeric might increase blood levels of norfloxacin.

Statins

• Use statins cautiously with turmeric because the products turmeric breaks down into could increase statin blood levels.
  • This might lead to increased adverse effects, including myopathy (muscle weakness and/or pain), which is dose-dependent.

Sulfasalazine

• Curcumin might increase the blood levels and adverse effects of sulfasalazine.”
  • Like 1

I don’t find making capsules with no fillers is more effective than the cheap kind, so I don’t see the point in spending the time or money. The pricier versions don’t seem better either. 

I know everyone says black pepper increases absorption, but it isn’t true. I think Nutrition Facts is where I learned this. It’s a dose makes the poison thing. Black pepper (despite nominal health benefits) is more toxic so your liver clears it first. Meaning the concentration of turmeric in your bloodstream is higher longer if your dose includes black pepper. To my knowledge no studies have shown it’s more effective with or without pepper. 

I’m also not concerned about the dose being too high because huge portions of India eat pretty large doses daily and it is healthy. 

I take it when I ache and tend to forget about it when I feel good. I would recommend the same, perhaps with a small once a day maintenance dose.