Menu

Tampon shortage?

alisoncooks

Ugh,  I have heard about this and thought about it but then I just put it out of my mind and try not to think of it. I am really tired of dealing with one issue after another! I want everything to stop being stupid!

Personally I would find a way to deal with a tampon shortage even if annoying. But my 14 yo dd is a dancer and I should stock up for her. Being 14 is hard enough without having your period and no tampon when you have to wear a leotard in public. Or go on stage in a tutu. 

Ack. Enough already. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I got a reusable cup. It's more discrete than a tampon, actually. I didn't love it (I also don't love tampons), but it's something I can use in a pinch. 

I have not found the period item that I love. I tried the underwear, too. The thing I prefer but still have issue with is disposable pad.

1 minute ago, Clarita said:

The thing I prefer but still have issue with is disposable pad.

Have you tried a variety of washable pads? I had like 40 from several brands. My fave were Yurtcraft on Etsy because I could customize size, absorbancy, and fabric. But ultimately Stayfree regular with wings disposables still got a lot of use. 🙂

• Thanks 1

I was in Walmart tonight and grabbed a few boxes (I’m usually a Tampax user but wanted to try the Kotex click that was mentioned in another thread…). The supply seemed perfectly regular/adequate…however the bandaid section was practically empty. Only a couple of boxes of generic bandages available. 

4 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I was in Walmart tonight and grabbed a few boxes (I’m usually a Tampax user but wanted to try the Kotex click that was mentioned in another thread…). The supply seemed perfectly regular/adequate…however the bandaid section was practically empty. Only a couple of boxes of generic bandages available. 

Yes, I needed to buy non-adhesive absorbent bandages and it was a challenge. On a related note, the Walmart generic ones do not hold up. 

I posted about this a week or so ago in the frugal thread.  Dh noticed this when he went in a store a few months back to get me some.  So he stocked up.  It might make me try a cup or disc.  I do use period underwear, but on super heavy days I need more than one line of defense.

55 minutes ago, Brittany1116 said:

Have you tried a variety of washable pads? I had like 40 from several brands. My fave were Yurtcraft on Etsy because I could customize size, absorbancy, and fabric. But ultimately Stayfree regular with wings disposables still got a lot of use. 🙂

I'll have to take a look at that option. 🙂

• Like 1

Weirdly, I found my beloved ob tampons more easily this week online after spending months unable to find any and finally asking here to try and figure out a replacement brand.

But the Cora, which were my replacement option, are basically sold out on their site. And shelves have been sketchy. It's like the pic Arcadia posted above - only the two big brands and all the others are cleaned out.

Most of us use all reusable stuff, but the one tampon user in the house discovered about 6 months ago that the disc is much more comfortable and lasts longer. So, that might be a good option for people who don't want to go the cup route and need something internal. The disc collapses to the size of a tampon for insertion.

It's concerning to be seeing all these different supply chain problems cropping up. Makes me feel like we're not living in secure times. Like, what will be next?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSera said:

ger. So, that might be a good option for people who don't want to go the cup route and need something internal. The disc collapses to the size of a tampon for insertion.

I don’t like the way cups feel but the discs are much more comfortable.  Easier to remove too.  I’m working on switching to those.  

I’ve heard about the tampon shortage, what about pads?   

1 minute ago, easypeasy said:

I keep seeing this on the news, but local store shelves are fine and there doesn’t seem to be a shortage online either. 🤷‍♀️

Maybe they know things from the factory side of things that I don't know, but it seems like this kind of reporting is what can create shortages as people start to hoard supplies. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

Maybe they know things from the factory side of things that I don't know, but it seems like this kind of reporting is what can create shortages as people start to hoard supplies. 

That’s exactly what I’m thinking! Because of the news stories, I bought a large box of tampons to donate to the teen shelter here. 🤷‍♀️ Figure they could use them, shortage or not? 

• Like 2

I started posting about giant holes in shelves by me months ago. Dh didn’t think it was a big deal until he read about it online the other day.  Because what insight would 30+ years of shopping that aisle possibly give me??? 🤪

I’ve always stockpiled supplies, and I upped it in the past couple of years, so I think we can be fine for a good amount of time. But I’ve procrastinated real hard on alternatives because I dislike all of them. I have always wanted to make a switch, but it’s always been a great big no for me.  It probably will take being forced.

I awkwardly got a pic of the shelf in the largest supermarket in my area last month. Most pads were only 1 or 2 items deep.  The shelf to the left, not in frame, had some of the brands/types that are more like 2” thick diapers. Tampons were almost all the one brand, but I think there were a few Tampax farther down.  CVS’s shelf was even more bare, in relation to its size. Have not checked Walmart.

F5EC545F-8A70-45D9-92C9-E6769EBEBC21.jpeg

Amazon cancelled the Tampax I had on my Subscribe and Save that came last week and I was unable to order the size my dd wears from Amazon yesterday. I was able to place an order from Walmart but there were limiting quantities on some. I did stock up for my kid. I didn’t really have a bunch of extra cash to spend on tampons this week but I realized I could use money from our HSA for them so that worked out. Hopefully they actually show up and I don’t get my order cancelled.

I never really like to participate in the panic buying but when it comes to my kids I’m a lot more sympathetic to their discomforts than my own. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

I don’t like the way cups feel but the discs are much more comfortable.  Easier to remove too.  I’m working on switching to those.  

Good to know.  I have seen so much love for cups, but I just haven't made the change.  All discs are disposable right?

11 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

https://www.nbc15.com/2022/06/10/tampons-pads-see-supply-chain-shortages-inflation/?outputType=amp

“Top retailers and manufacturers acknowledged the shortages of tampons and pads this week, confirming complaints that have been circulating on social media for months.

Tampon prices are up nearly 10% from a year ago, according to Bloomberg.

The shortages appear to stem from supply issues with key materials like cotton and plastic – the same materials used in personal protective equipment, which has been in high demand since the start of the pandemic.

Secondly, the war in Ukraine has further crimped supply because Russia and Ukraine are both major exporters of fertilizer used to grow cotton.

Lastly, the drought in Texas has hit cotton growth, too.”

8 hours ago, popmom said:

Hmmmm. My daughters have not mentioned difficulties getting tampons. I’ll have to ask them. 

8 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I saw tons at Costco yesterday. 

It depends on which brand and type preferred. Costco has tons but limited brands and types. 

I was just in Walgreens and they looked to have a pretty good variety but maybe not a deep stock on the shelves. But I could have run in and grabbed some if needed. But of note- the empty spaces were what looked like Walgreens store brand tampons that had been on clearance for .48 per box. So if you have a Walgreens and don’t mind store brand maybe you can score a deal. 

My big order from Walmart showed up on my doorstep this morning so we are set on tampons for a good while now. Whatever else these crazy times bring at least we have tampons I guess. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

Just had a hysterectomy and gave away months and months worth of supplies to sisters and nieces so they are set. But I also had a cup and it wasn't terrible. I'd definitely get a cup and washable pads if I still had the need.

I threw away my cups (mwhahaha! Such a great feeling) but haven’t donated my other supplies yet. Sounds like this is a good time! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Wait, what?!?! Brand new information.  Will be researching ours!

Yes you can use your FSA and HSA funds for menstral stuff. I think it's a new thing because this year was the first year I knew about this too.  And it's ALL the menstral stuff including the reusable options like discs, cups, underwear, etc.

• Like 1