Menu

Updates 2023 (job hunt etc)

heartlikealion

1 minute ago, Terabith said:

Did the doctor think it was a bacterial infection?  You've been sick long enough that it might have invaded your sinuses or something.  I'm not sure why you wouldn't take the antibiotics if it could reasonably be bacterial?

Because she seemed like she just was making up junk to offer as a half-hearted attempt to cure me. She said it wasn’t strep and the antibiotics were “just in case.” She also offered me a shot fur inflammation but I declined. Last time I accepted one was in my feet for Plantar Fasciitis— it was AWFUL and made no impact. Plus extra money. 

Now today the primary care office said give it a few days they try the antibiotics that are on file at the pharmacy. My neighbor suggested I just get them ASAP. So I might go back tomorrow. 

I don’t know the price on the antibiotics. I could call and ask. The first cough syrup was $65 (different brand). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Because she seemed like she just was making up junk to offer as a half-hearted attempt to cure me. She said it wasn’t strep and the antibiotics were “just in case.” She also offered me a shot fur inflammation but I declined. Last time I accepted one was in my feet for Plantar Fasciitis— it was AWFUL and made no impact. Plus extra money. 

Now today the primary care office said give it a few days they try the antibiotics that are on file at the pharmacy. My neighbor suggested I just get them ASAP. So I might go back tomorrow. 

I don’t know the price on the antibiotics. I could call and ask. The first cough syrup was $65 (different brand). 

Oh I remembered that wrong. What helps me most is a steroid shot.

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

Oh I remembered that wrong. What helps me most is a steroid shot.

See I don’t get it. All she said was a shot for inflammation. But my last steroid shot (the one in feet) was incredibly painful and offered no relief. So I’m pretty skeptical 

Edited by heartlikealion

I’m taking the antibiotics. The Tessalon Perles (capsules) have been a mixed bag. Last night they didn’t appear to help. Nor did the prescription cough syrup. Now I took one today and it helped subdue the cough but caused tightness in my chest on one side and I read it’s not really good to use on wet coughs. My cough has flipped flopped but it’s still somewhat productive. So might not be wise to use these. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/benzonatate-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20062223?p=1

Antibiotics are for 10 days. Hope they help. I bought a vapo rub stick, too. 

I hope you feel better.

A number of years ago, I was quite sick, with a sinus infection, ear infection, bronchial infection, all at the same time. I was put on an antibiotic by urgent care. Ten days later, I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic and was also still sick, and I went to my primary care doctor. She prescribed oral steroids (not a shot), and I got better very quickly after that. I was really surprised how well the steroids worked, not just to mitigate the allergic reaction, but with my illness symptoms.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 2

Just now, Storygirl said:

I hope you feel better.

A number of years ago, I was quite sick, with a sinus infection, ear infection, bronchial infection, all at the same time. I was put on an antibiotic by urgent care. Ten days later, I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic and was also still sick, and I went to my primary care doctor. She prescribed oral steroids (not a shot), and I get better very quickly after that. I was really surprised how well the steroids worked, not just to mitigate the allergic reaction, but with my illness symptoms.

Oh wow. I’m so glad they helped. 
I have had allergic reactions to antibiotics before but only one brand is on file and I don’t know the other one. So I just always tell them about the one I’m aware of and hope for the best. I won’t be taking more capsules. My chest hurts when I cough now and I can’t breathe deeply without discomfort. I messaged the dr office to let them know I believe I’m experiencing side effects from the capsules. 

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Oh wow. I’m so glad they helped. 
I have had allergic reactions to antibiotics before but only one brand is on file and I don’t know the other one. So I just always tell them about the one I’m aware of and hope for the best. I won’t be taking more capsules. My chest hurts when I cough now and I can’t breathe deeply without discomfort. I messaged the dr office to let them know I believe I’m experiencing side effects from the capsules. 

Did they check you for pneumonia?  Your new description sounds like that to me.

• Like 2

Just now, YaelAldrich said:

Did they check you for pneumonia?  Your new description sounds like that to me.

I’m starting to wonder if it’s evolved into something like that. I have an eval in the morning. My capsule should have worn off hours ago but I still have some tightness in the chest. The worst part is despite not having any significant incontinence issues in a couple months, now I’m coughing and tinkling all day 🙄

• Sad 5

I’m improving. The dr office gave it a vague name “upper respiratory infection.” She could hear blockage with the stethoscope and said no X-ray necessary. My vitals were good, no fever this whole time. At one point the young male nurse doing the vitals asked me about ninja cough. I still need to google that. I said I have no idea, is that for people in Cobra Kai (one of my fav shows) and he laughed. 

Dr said we’d hit it with a lot to avoid pneumonia. They offered me 2 shots - a steroid and an antibiotic. I said my body doesn’t react well to too many things at once so could she tell me which of the 2 she’d favor. She said the steroid because I’m already on oral antibiotics. I was super nervous but that shot was nothing like the one I got in the arches of my feet at the podiatrist. The shot itself was fine and I felt very momentarily icky after leaving the room, but the feeling and tenderness went away. 

They called in a script for an inhaler (like my son has). They gave an option of inhaler or nebulizer treatment, but I don’t have the machine and it’s more $. Inhaler is more portable/less cumbersome, too. They also got me codeine cough syrup. She said it was hardcore. Well I am not coughing nearly as much today. One thing I didn’t like was the way the dr phrased something “you failed 2 things already and this is basically the only thing left.” After a min she remembered a 4th thing she could try when I said what if my ins doesn’t cover this one. I just listened, but thought, “really?? Your patient FAILED? Work on your bedside manner. The PRODUCTS failed.” Won’t be accepting that negative self talk lol I’m sure people that talk this way are oblivious!

I still have tightness in chest but she doesn’t think it’s from the capsules. May have just been a coincidence. This evening I took the syrup and one capsule. But I think the syrup is possibly enough. I don’t know if the inhaler will help. I only took it a few min ago. 

It took 2 pharmacy visits (again!) to get everything because I asked to refill my antidepressants while I was there and they were out! I requested they call it into the walmart on my way home… I barely made it in time before they closed for lunch. I know not all pharmacies do but they do.

I didn’t get home til late in the day. I plan to just see dd next weekend and then our weekends will at least be in sync with my friend’s daughter’s weekends. Silver lining. 

side notes 

My normal dr there is a man but I didn’t ask why they scheduled her. I hit a traffic jam with road work just before me exit and was late and the receptionist tried to refuse me service. She said I surpassed the grace period. (By like 5 min) and wanted to reschedule me. I told her I lived 45 min away, the dr requested I come in due to my chest pain, and I’d hit that traffic area. She didn’t care and repeated the policy. I said I don’t think they’ll want to reschedule since they need to evaluate me and don’t think it should wait. Finally she called the dr and got me in. 

First time I tried inhaler it all hit my tongue dead on 🤦🏻‍♀️🤣

Thank you for asking and I’m hopeful tonight will be much more restful. 

• Like 5

On 2/15/2023 at 7:21 PM, heartlikealion said:

They sprayed this cold stuff on the arches of my feet and injected each one. One of the worst “aids” I’ve paid for. 

I've had those shots in my feet for plantar facia-however-you-spell-it, and they hurt like crazy. Worst pain ever. 

It sounds like you have bronchitis, IMO. I used to get that multiple times a year, and it took 4-6 weeks to fully resolve. It always started with a run of the mill cold and then progressed to a non-productive cough that worsened at night. If it's bronchitis, a steroid inhaler will help a lot because it will calm the inflammation in your bronchi and lungs. They sometimes give me an albuterol inhaler, too. The inhalers can be expensive, but the pharmacist found a coupon last time and it dropped the price considerably for me. 

I've never been offered a steroid injection for bronchitis, however.  I'm not sure what to make of that. 

The cough syrup with codeine should knock out the cough. I'd take the antibiotics at this point because it's not really going to hurt anything.  Drink lots of water. 

Have you looked into goodrx.com for cheaper meds? 

3 minutes ago, Shoeless said:

I've had those shots in my feet for plantar facia-however-you-spell-it, and they hurt like crazy. Worst pain ever. 

It sounds like you have bronchitis, IMO. I used to get that multiple times a year, and it took 4-6 weeks to fully resolve. It always started with a run of the mill cold and then progressed to a non-productive cough that worsened at night. If it's bronchitis, a steroid inhaler will help a lot because it will calm the inflammation in your bronchi and lungs. They sometimes give me an albuterol inhaler, too. The inhalers can be expensive, but the pharmacist found a coupon last time and it dropped the price considerably for me. 

I've never been offered a steroid injection for bronchitis, however.  I'm not sure what to make of that. 

The cough syrup with codeine should knock out the cough. I'd take the antibiotics at this point because it's not really going to hurt anything.  Drink lots of water. 

Have you looked into goodrx.com for cheaper meds? 

All the ones I filled were affordable 🙂 I do have that but it’s never been beneficial. *Most* of the time my current ins is decent. 

I specifically asked about bronchitis but she declined to label it that. I have had bronchitis before but couldn’t afford much treatment and the one treatment I tried did not help! I think it was an oral thing. I suffered for months with a cough. Or maybe the oral thing was for the Pleurisy. I suffered with those at the same time. It was a nightmare.

I started the oral antibiotics yesterday. I do think these products working together are helping. 

7 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

All the ones I filled were affordable 🙂 I do have that but it’s never been beneficial. *Most* of the time my current ins is decent. 

I specifically asked about bronchitis but she declined to label it that. I have had bronchitis before but couldn’t afford much treatment and the one treatment I tried did not help! I think it was an oral thing. I suffered for months with a cough. Or maybe the oral thing was for the Pleurisy. I suffered with those at the same time. It was a nightmare.

I started the oral antibiotics yesterday. I do think these products working together are helping. 

It's so weird she didn't want to label it bronchitis. It's not a controversial diagnosis? 

The inhalers are good long past their expiration date if you keep them clean and dry. I always hung on to mine after I felt better, for the next time I got sick. 

On 2/15/2023 at 8:21 PM, heartlikealion said:

They sprayed this cold stuff on the arches of my feet and injected each one. One of the worst “aids” I’ve paid for. 

That's because they injected right into the already inflamed part. It's not that it was steroids, it is where they did it. 

• Like 3

Any guesses as to when I should be good to travel to dd? I’m on day 4 of antibiotics. Chest pain is different. New pain on side of body I’ve been icing off/on. There’s still some lingering chest pain if I breathe deeply. When meds wear off I have terrible thick cough so mostly been on schedule with cough syrup. Drinking water. 

I think youre fine to visit any time. it's been long Enough from the start of the viral infection that you shouldn't still be contagious, and if you've been on antibiotics for four days you should be fine. What antibiotic are you taking though? We once had walking pneumonia in my house and the doctor initially prescribed entirely the wrong antibiotic for it, which did no good at all. Has the antibiotic you are taking helped?

Are you taking Mucinex/guaifenicin to thin out mucus secretions/make them easier to cough up? 

Coughs can linger for a long time after an active infection is past. Lungs get damaged and irritated and take time to heal.

• Like 1

Just now, maize said:

I think youre fine to visit any time. it's been long Enough from the start of the viral infection that you shouldn't still be contagious, and if you've been on antibiotics for four days you should be fine. What antibiotic are you taking though? We once had walking pneumonia in my house and the doctor initially prescribed entirely the wrong antibiotic for it, which did no good at all. Has the antibiotic you are taking helped?

Are you taking Mucinex/guaifenicin to thin out mucus secretions/make them easier to cough up? 

Coughs can linger for a long time after an active infection is past. Lungs get damaged and irritated and take time to heal.

No I don’t cough at all (more or less) when I’m on the codeine. I’m not sure what they want me to do. It says take every 4 hours. If I lapse then it’s pretty bad, though. 
The antibiotic is called Cefuroxime. Giant blue pills. I think it’s working but I started it just before the codeine was prescribed. I am not sure how to gauge. 

I have a new pain on my left side. Been icing off/on. Told the nurse. They said just check in after the antibiotics are done. 

Loosely planning on driving to my dad’s house on Wed night. Not sure about sitting in the car though. Hurts to move around right now. I canceled my annual wellness visit that was Wed. Definitely not in the mood to give blood etc. 

21 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

No I don’t cough at all (more or less) when I’m on the codeine. I’m not sure what they want me to do. It says take every 4 hours. If I lapse then it’s pretty bad, though. 
The antibiotic is called Cefuroxime. Giant blue pills. I think it’s working but I started it just before the codeine was prescribed. I am not sure how to gauge. 

If you have a productive cough (one that brings up mucus) it actually isn't a good idea to suppress it all the time. When the mucus sits in your lungs it becomes a great breeding ground for bacteria. Taking guaifenicin help thin out the mucus and make it easier to cough it up.

• Like 1

You may have pulled a muscle coughing, or have some chostrochondritis going on. 

And agreeing that using cough suppressant 24/7 isn't usually ideal - and definitely agree with guaifenicin/Mucinex. That stuff has prevented many a sinus infection in me - but you have to drink a lot with it for it to work well. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, maize said:

If you have a productive cough (one that brings up mucus) it actually isn't a good idea to suppress it all the time. When the mucus sits in your lungs it becomes a great breeding ground for bacteria. Taking guaifenicin help thin out the mucus and make it easier to cough it up.

Well I have not taken it every 4 hrs but that’s what the bottle says to do. I let it lapse and I didn’t cough too much last time but also wasn’t able to get much out. And when I have the heavy coughing I am very uncomfortable and it triggers my incontinence. I can ask the dr if they want me to add meds… I don’t want to just start taking OTC stuff without consulting. 

I returned to the dr. They did an X-ray. It was normal so they said probably inflammation from lung I’m feeling (pointed out the sore area along back/side) and said take ibuprofen. Didn’t really say anything when I asked about thinning mucus. They said 30 min walk OK. Add heat to lower back (I threw out lower back coughing yesterday then it was fine then it hurt again). 

Still some pain in chest but I guess will resolve. They are aware. 

I could have dd right now through Sunday so just playing it by ear when I’ll make car trip. Just a bit uncomfortable. Haven’t taken codeine since this morning. I don’t feel like I need it now unless I have trouble sleeping tonight. 

• Like 2

Xh refused to swap weekends. I figured that the Mon-Wed connected to last weekend so really only days I could claim are Thurs afternoon-Sunday. I planned to drive down Wed night and pick her up after school Thursday, but xh said they had "plans" and would not be willing to give me the weekend. So right now the weekends of the girls (my friend's daughter and mine) won't line up and I guess I won't see dd til March 2. I have that networking even on March 4 and my dad will have to tuck dd in so I can go. I was hoping to avoid that, too. But it is what it is. 

• Sad 9

It's such a nice effective control tactic.

Stop asking. You've got no power to make him oblige and he doesn't have a better nature.

Unless you're trying to feed him some narcissistic supply for some reason. Then it's an inexpensive way to do it.

It sucks and he sucks. ((hugs forever))

5 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

It's such a nice effective control tactic.

Stop asking. You've got no power to make him oblige and he doesn't have a better nature.

Unless you're trying to feed him some narcissistic supply for some reason. Then it's an inexpensive way to do it.

It sucks and he sucks. ((hugs forever))

This.

He is a disgusting excuse of a human.

• Like 5

It’s control and punishment.

And I think the move was to make visitation so inconvenient that you give up more and more time. It worked outright (you lost weekdays), and any time you ask for a change, he will see that as a sign that it’s working. I would not expect him ever to swap weekends.

He will be keeping score, so definitely keep a log somewhere of why you missed a weekend — or it might come back to bite you if you end up in court. Obviously, being sick is a fine reason, just notate it somewhere so he doesn’t spin it into something it wasn’t.

I’m sorry you have to deal with someone so rigid. He sounds cruel.

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Was that before the new wife?

Before she officially moved to MS. He asked me to watch the kids Labor Day weekend so then I signed up for these volunteer things the following weekend and then he reneged and said he’d take the kids with him LD weekend and that’s when he slept at her house and introduced her as his gf. So I had 2-3 commitments based on my supposed availability and we moved one of my visits to another weekend. 

I do think he’s being extra difficult these days with the whole settlement up in the air. Our court date on file is end of March but I don’t think we’ll go. My attorney is supposed to be working on the settlement but I may need to go meet with him soon so we can easier discuss. 

51 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I do think he’s being extra difficult these days with the whole settlement up in the air. Our court date on file is end of March but I don’t think we’ll go. My attorney is supposed to be working on the settlement but I may need to go meet with him soon so we can easier discuss. 

I don't understand the bolded. In my very limited experience, the judge tends to see absence from court as disinterest. Again, I may not know what I am talking about.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

I don't understand the bolded. In my very limited experience, the judge tends to see absence from court as disinterest. Again, I may not know what I am talking about.

Oh I mean because we’ll likely settle outside of court with the paperwork outlining modifications. Supposedly they don’t really want to go to court. And as we’ve discussed in this thread, any justice is unlikely to prevail. I’d probably come out worse. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Oh I mean because we’ll likely settle outside of court with the paperwork outlining modifications. Supposedly they don’t really want to go to court. And as we’ve discussed in this thread, any justice is unlikely to prevail. I’d probably come out worse. 

Oh, duh--I guess I'm a little slow this morning. I just read it the wrong way. Sorry.

10 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I feel like he’s doing this as a control tactic. He avoided all my previous requests to trade our rotation prior to my illness. I also suggested swapping another weekend instead and he said that was stepson’s birthday (no idea). 

I'm so sorry. My ex and I did NOT agree on much of anything, but we never had these kinds of issues. we always were happy to do whatever made things easier for the kid, and for each other, knowing what goes around comes around. 

I will never understand people like your ex (and SO many others) who still are bitter or nasty about stuff - the entire POINT of a divorce is you don't have to care anymore, or be angry anymore! 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I'm so sorry. My ex and I did NOT agree on much of anything, but we never had these kinds of issues. we always were happy to do whatever made things easier for the kid, and for each other, knowing what goes around comes around. 

I will never understand people like your ex (and SO many others) who still are bitter or nasty about stuff - the entire POINT of a divorce is you don't have to care anymore, or be angry anymore! 

For me the point was to get away. And make room for other relationships. But the control dynamic lingers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jaybee said:

It’s common for family law motions to be cancelled because the parties agree to (or in some instances are required to) mediate or settle before the court date. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

It’s all about control.  My siblings’ divorces have been one shitty thing after the next for years.  My brother and his ex-husband are still locked in a messed up power struggle with their custody arrangements and they split *6 years ago*.  Some people just don’t quit and it only takes one controlling person to make it all hard. 

• Like 6

Just now, LucyStoner said:

It’s all about control.  My siblings’ divorces have been one shitty thing after the next for years.  My brother and his ex-husband are still locked in a messed up power struggle with their custody arrangements and they split *6 years ago*.  Some people just don’t quit and it only takes one controlling person to make it all hard. 

Yes. This ^ 

And when my kids are older I don’t want the power struggles. I’ll probably just be the parent that says let me know if you’re coming for Christmas. With no expectations or pressure. I just want to be the soft place to land if or when they are ready. 

• Like 4