Menu

Covering the glass on bookcases?

Tap

I am converting the old media room/homeschool room into an office. The room is lined with Billy Bookcases in blond. When we stopped homeschooling, I started getting rid of most of my things. I have a mishmash of items left that is all crammed on the shelves and would prefer to not see it. Old DVDs, paper back books, my sons old gaming things, etc. Nothing pretty and not something that I can make look pretty.  LOL   Any ideas on what I can do with the glass doors on the bookcases to hide it? I don't want to just add some sticky widow  covering that makes it looks frosted, because I think it will look wrong with the blond wood. 

There are 8 double door cabinets that have full glass doors (16 doors), I tall media tower (no door). 2 half height that have solid doors. 2 tall double door cabinets that only have solid doors on the bottom and open on the top.  I want to cover the 16 doors with something that will make sense for all the other blond wood. 

I thought about maybe attaching fabric to the back of the glass, but that would be roughly 16 yards of fabric (assuming 1 yard would be wide enough for two doors). And then deciding what would look good and hold its shape enough to look even (not tugging the pattern in odd ways.) If I use decorator fabric, it may be wide enough to cover 3 doors, I would have to measure and look for how the pattern repeats. I assume I will lose a 1-2 yards for this reason. Maybe a sheer fabric with cutouts to allow somethings to show, but not too much?  Maybe if I use a poly-blend I could starch it first to keep its shape better?  I do know cotton will fade/discolor, so I don't want that.  I would love a beautiful silk, but 16+ yards of that is way out of the budget.

Any BTDT advice? Any suggestions? 

I've seen people use a metal mesh, like hardware cloth or something, on a restored hutch. That might look cool with the black. Or, cheaper and WAY easier to work with, you could use screening. You can get rolls of window screening and such in various colors at Home Depot or wherever. I know it comes in a silvery metal color but also I know for sure you can get it in black. And you can get it in more of a soft plastic type mesh, so no worries about cutting wire or cutting yourself. Or even look at shade cloth from the garden section? Things that are not fully opaque, but would still hide stuff? I've seen people use that roll of bamboo fence stuff as well, but I don't think that would work with black. 

• Like 1

They have nice static cling film in rolls that is easy to apply.

DH's office is right by front door.  When we bought the house the office doors were wood with glass panels.   They look great with a basic texture static film. (Easy to apply and has stayed put for 1.5 years now!).  I would apply to the INSIDE of the doors...

Here is the film I have on my laundry room window-- it lets light in but neighbors can't see inside!

https://www.amazon.com/Volcanics-Privacy-Stickers-Rainbow-Control/dp/B07SNQ5Z67/ref=sr_1_7?crid=248E3784NJ0GL&keywords=Static%2BCling%2BWindow%2Bfilm&qid=1651878398&sprefix=static%2Bcling%2Bwindow%2Bfilm%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-7&th=1

• Like 1