Menu

Does this sound like plantar fasciitis? Can it be reversed / healed?

footballmom

I’ve always had high arches - so much so that certain shoes do not work for me because of them.  A few weeks ago, I started having some pain near where my arch and front part of the heel area meet, on the inside of the arch if that makes sense.  I’ve been a runner for 16 years and stay on top of getting new running shoes.  The pain is getting more constant and sharper.  I have gained some weight (that I *want* to lose, but then I’ll try to eat my feelings and things have been stressful). I even bought new running shoes (same style, just new pair) last week.  I went for a run yesterday and today the pain is constant.  Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be the start of plantar fasciitis? Is there a way to reverse or heal it? 

I had plantar fasciitis. It usually hurt in the morning or when I get up after I have sat for a while. I had it for about a year. I just thought I was getting old. But it was getting worse right before lockdown and I was looking into it. 

mine is healed as far as I am concerned. I haven’t gone running, but I’m not a runner.

Mine healed because I sat around a lot once lockdown started. I also did some foot exercises which you can find on you tube. And wore slippers with high arch in it.  i think I iced it too. Not sure about that. I would say mine healed about four or five months later. 
i didn’t have a high arch before. 
it doesn’t hurt anymore! 
hope this helps.

It sounds like it could be? I had/have minor plantar fasciitis, at least according to the last time I saw the doctor. She told me it can be caused by tightness in your calves, so I spent a little time gently stretching my calves and relaxing them without walking too much. And then... it was better. I assume it could come back because this was pretty recent, but I definitely learned that it's pretty reversible, at least for some people. I'm not a runner, so I don't know about that aspect.

• Like 2

I’ve had PF for years. I need to see a doctor soon because it’s definitely gotten worse over past few months. For me, the pain is on the bottom of my foot, on my heel and just in front of my heel on the part of my foot that’s flat. It’s very painful at times but generally feels like I’m walking on sharp stones. I’ve been wearing Fit Flops and Clarks for shoes and that was helping. I don’t know why it got worse but I am hoping that I can heal it so I don’t constantly have pain. I think it can take several months of ice, heat, stretching, and wearing proper shoes to achieve healing. 

• Like 1

Maybe!  I've had it on and off.  I used to be a runner, now I am a walker/hiker.  My spouse is a long time runner and had it before me.  He went and saw a lot of doctors and did PT and I basically piggy backed off what he did and that really worked.  I had it bad after one road trip to look at colleges with my son and I wore an AWFUL pair of boots the entire time that were not well suited to my feet.  My feet were a bit on and off sore for a couple months after that while I was working on it but always felt like I was progressing with it based on my husband's experience.  One thing that works great for both of us is the green Happy Feet inserts, especially in our walking/running shoes.  And I know I sound like a broken record with that, but it is one thing that made a pretty quick night and day difference for both of us.  I can tell when my inserts are starting to break down now and I need to order a new pair.  I am also very shoe picky now.  I rarely have problems.  Sometimes my feet are a tiny bit sore right when I get up if I do a long walk the day before, especially on pavement.  

There is a local shoe store near us that specializes in ortho style shoes.  You can make short appointments for fittings with a podiatrist there and they may make recommendations on styles, brands, inserts, etc based on your gait, foot, etc.  That might be something to look for if you are in a metro.  

• Like 1

The foot doctor told me I could never go barefoot and needed shots.  That freaked me out so I researched and discovered the knotted calf and knots along the shin connection.  I painfully worked those out by hand and with "The Stick" (bought at a running store).  The pain was eventually gone and I am mostly barefoot and wear minimalist shoes when I must.

Ime, getting rid of knots must happen before stretching.

I used information from the "sock doc" website.  I'll see if I can find it.

ETA: https://sock-doc.com/plantar-fasciitis-treatment/

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 2

I've had similar pain in my arches. I never got it diagnosed, but my pain improved with massaging the painful area with a tennis ball and/or a water bottle filled with frozen water. I also make sure I wear shoes that support my arches well, particularly when doing activities on hard surfaces (e.g., hard court tennis, running). Stretching the calves (when your leg is straight and bent) will help loosen the muscles at the back of the lower leg, which may help reduce pain. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I've had similar pain in my arches. I never got it diagnosed, but my pain improved with massaging the painful area with a tennis ball and/or a water bottle filled with frozen water. I also make sure I wear shoes that support my arches well, particularly when doing activities on hard surfaces (e.g., hard court tennis, running). Stretching the calves (when your leg is straight and bent) will help loosen the muscles at the back of the lower leg, which may help reduce pain. 

Good luck!

Can you share what shoes you like?  I recently had foot reconstruction surgery and have a high arch now and need all new shoes.  I'm hoping to get back to running someday and definitely plan on doing a lot of walking.  I've looked at Brooks and Hokas but they are SO expensive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kassia said:

Can you share what shoes you like?  I recently had foot reconstruction surgery and have a high arch now and need all new shoes.  I'm hoping to get back to running someday and definitely plan on doing a lot of walking.  I've looked at Brooks and Hokas but they are SO expensive.

There are so many different brands and styles, and each person needs to find the shoe that works for them. I've had Brooks, Mizuno, Nike and New Balance runners that have been great. Yes, they are expensive, but a necessary cost for me to run in comfort. For tennis, I only wear Yonex now. 

All the best finding the shoes that work for you. You could try going to a running store where the staff can help you find a brand and style designed for the type of foot structure and running style you have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had 2 bouts of it, each lasting around 6 months, over the past 14 years.  Stretching, rolling your feet over a cold coke can (which is basically a stretch), staying off my feet for a while and always wearing shoes with arch support (never being  barefoot) healed it.  It's been at least 7 years since my last issue with it.  I now usually go barefoot or wear flip-flops for 6 months of the year.  For a long time I had to wear good shoes at least 2 days a week to keep it at bay.  For me, birkenstocks, vionics, and crocs all feel good.  My mom likes clarks.  I also have a pair of oofos flip-flops that I wore around the house when it was at its worst.  

• Like 2

It does sound like plantar fasciitis.

I have struggled with it for a few years now. Have found physicians or physical therapists to be of little help. I did get steroid injections twice and did many PT sessions. The first time the injection helped for about 6 months. The next time I never really did get much relief. HOWEVER, I did find a solution recently that I am hoping will stick (or at least be reproducible).

I Taped my feet using this technique described in the video with zinc oxide tape for 6 weeks. Tape was on 24/7, and changed as needed (usually every 3 days.) It's been a few weeks since I ended taping, and I have no pain in my feet, which seems miraculous.

Video link: 

Other things that can be helpful (but this varies so much for different people, keep that in mind): Oofos shoes (I wear the slides in the house and the boots outdoors). Hoka athletic shoes (I use the trail shoes, sandals, and hiking boots). Stretching the calf area (but really everything is connected, so don't ignore the rest of the legs). Massager on the feet and calves (I have a Sharper Image massager that I like)

• Like 1

I had PF (ETA: and high arches) and losing weight helped (sigh. Not easy!) But also I moved to minimalist shoes or barefoot running and life. There are exercises one can do to strengthen your foot if you Google barefoot running foot exercises. Good luck!

Edited by YaelAldrich
ETA
  • Like 1

I had PF once upon a time that was so bad that I had to hold onto the handle of my grocery cart to keep some of the pressure off of my heels. I was running a lot at the time, although it hurt the least when I was running. This is what healed mine: (1) every morning, first thing before getting out of bed, I did 10 circles with each foot in a clockwise direction, and then 10 in a counter-clockwise direction. Every single morning, both feet; (2) I wore Oofos flip-flops around the house and out of the house as much as possible. Oofos have a high, supportive arch. I almost never went barefoot while it was healing. I did not wear them to work, but I was only going to the office about twice a week at the time. It has never come back so, if you have PF, there is definitely hope. I never went to PT or spent anything other than whatever Oofos cost. My running store carries Oofos.

• Like 1