Menu

Well darn, this time DS did test positive :(

MEmama

He went out Saturday night with friends, opted to take his classes online yesterday and today just in case, and now has a very positive test result. Just a sore throat so far but of course I’m going to worry. The friends he went out with tested positive as well.

Darn it. 😞 

At least he is fully vaxxed and boosted but still, a mama's gonna worry! 

• Sad 33

6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Hope he has a very mild case. 
Would your relatives there be able to drop off a box of soup that can be heated in a microwave?

He’s in Ireland, no relatives near by. But…he lives in an apartment so he has a kitchen and regularly orders grocery delivery, so food is no problem. Mostly I’m just sad I can’t help, you know? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

I'm so sorry!  I will say my college kid went back 3 weeks ago and a group he performs with had 5 college students in his group get it all at once.  I don't even think most of them were boosted yet but they were double vaxxed.  They were all back covid negative without issue the following week and all had really minor symptoms.  There were also masked exposures within the group (my kid was exposed) and no further spread.  That group is now testing weekly before their meet ups/performances and I'm so glad.  So far so good since that!  His really large campus has data published weekly and this is how it has been rolling for most of the students getting it on a 95%+ vaccinated campus.

Anyway, hopefully this is just a quick blip on the radar for him like most of the students seem to be on mend very soon.  I swear these kinds of things are usually harder on mom.  So take good care of yourself too. ❤️  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KSera said:

I hope he has a mild case and feels better soon!

He said when he had not-covid in November/early December he felt 20x worse. Fingers crossed this will pass quickly. 

2 minutes ago, I talk to the trees said:

Oh, no! I do hope his symptoms are brief and mild, and that the infection only serves to give him immune “superpowers” to carry him through for a long time to come! 

Thanks. I like the idea of immune superpowers! Lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

It's so hard when our kids get sick, but when they are also far away, it's such a helpless feeling! Moms want to make things all better!!!

I hope he has a very mild case and feels better very soon.

Thank you— that’s just it. I wish I could help! Offering sympathies via text doesn’t feel sufficient. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, catz said:

I'm so sorry!  I will say my college kid went back 3 weeks ago and a group he performs with had 5 college students in his group get it all at once.  I don't even think most of them were boosted yet but they were double vaxxed.  They were all back covid negative without issue the following week and all had really minor symptoms.  There were also masked exposures within the group (my kid was exposed) and no further spread.  That group is now testing weekly before their meet ups/performances and I'm so glad.  So far so good since that!  His really large campus has data published weekly and this is how it has been rolling for most of the students getting it on a 95%+ vaccinated campus.

Anyway, hopefully this is just a quick blip on the radar for him like most of the students seem to be on mend very soon.  I swear these kinds of things are usually harder on mom.  So take good care of yourself too. ❤️  

Yeah, it seems like most vaxxed and boosted young people are bouncing back quickly. I’m trying to keep that in mind. I guess it was almost bound to happen sometime— he’s super careful, but— thankfully— he’s been out enjoying himself like a college kid, too. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

It's so hard when our kids get sick, but when they are also far away, it's such a helpless feeling! Moms want to make things all better!!!

I hope he has a very mild case and feels better very soon.

This is what I wanted to say too.

31 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Thank you— that’s just it. I wish I could help! Offering sympathies via text doesn’t feel sufficient. 

It is so hard when our kids are sick and so far away (and yours is truly far far away!).  My dd (1100 miles away) has covid and it's been mild but I'm still worried and wish I could be there with her (or with any of my kids when they are sick).  Hope he's better soon and it's mild.  ❤️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Kassia said:

This is what I wanted to say too.

It is so hard when our kids are sick and so far away (and yours is truly far far away!).  My dd (1100 miles away) has covid and it's been mild but I'm still worried and wish I could be there with her (or with any of my kids when they are sick).  Hope he's better soon and it's mild.  ❤️

Oh no! I didn’t realize your daughter is also sick. 😞 I hope she recovers quickly! 

57 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Oh no! I didn’t realize your daughter is also sick. 😞 I hope she recovers quickly! 

Thank you.  She seems to have a mild case but it's lasted a long time now (she's on day 12 since symptoms started) so I'm concerned.  Because that's what us moms do.  ❤️  

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Thank you.  She seems to have a mild case but it's lasted a long time now (she's on day 12 since symptoms started) so I'm concerned.  Because that's what us moms do.  ❤️  

I’m sorry I missed that she’s been sick for so long! I’m kind of out of it— she’s in university, right? Is she able to keep up with classes and coursework? 12 days must feel like an eternity. 😞 

So sorry. It is so hard to be so far away.  Praying it is mild like my daughter's. She got out of 10 day isolation on Saturday.  She felt crappy for 2 or 3 days, though I would say not even flu like crappy, ordinary cold crappy.  She hit the ground running with an 8 hour musical rehearsal on Sunday and classes on Monday. ( She has classes from 8-5 on MWF with a 20 minute bread from 1:40-2... music musical theater schedules are crazy) I haven't talked to her, but wonder how her stamina is doing.  Praying his case will be similarly mild because yeah, it sucks being so far away!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I’m sorry I missed that she’s been sick for so long! I’m kind of out of it— she’s in university, right? Is she able to keep up with classes and coursework? 12 days must feel like an eternity. 😞 

Yes, she's away at school (1100 miles away).  She had symptoms for a few days, got better, then a few days later came down with different symptoms.  Fortunately, classes are virtual until Monday so she got really lucky with the timing.  And it's mild for now so she's able to keep up with schoolwork.  Fingers crossed your ds gets over his case quickly and easily.  

3 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

She hit the ground running with an 8 hour musical rehearsal on Sunday and classes on Monday. ( She has classes from 8-5 on MWF with a 20 minute bread from 1:40-2... music musical theater schedules are crazy) I haven't talked to her, but wonder how her stamina is doing.  Praying his case will be similarly mild because yeah, it sucks being so far away!

Wow, she really did make a comeback!  Hope she's able to rest when she's not in class.  

And, yes, it's awful being far away.  All four of my kids are and I hate it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kassia said:

Wow, she really did make a comeback!  Hope she's able to rest when she's not in class.  

And, yes, it's awful being far away.  All four of my kids are and I hate it.

Well, we will see. I haven't talked to her. But she was able to do her ballet class and musical theater dance classes by Zoom along with her drama classes and musical theater styles. She did say one day she had to quit during ballet because she was coughing the whole time ( while in isolation). Honestly, the isolation was the WORST .  Her friends that she exposed got to quarantine together. I am not sure that she has ever even spent 1 day completely all by herself, much less 10.  She is a social animal and was never home in high school...kinda like me. 🙂 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

. She did say one day she had to quit during ballet because she was coughing the whole time ( while in isolation). Honestly, the isolation was the WORST .  

I agree that the isolation would be really really hard.  Dd was fortunate and was able to do hers with her bf (she caught it from his sister).  I was relieved that she didn't have to spend all that time alone in her dorm room and was able to stay at his home (he lives with his parents) and eat real food.  Before she went back to his house she was only eating dry cereal from her room even though I told her I could have meals delivered to her!  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I agree that the isolation would be really really hard.  Dd was fortunate and was able to do hers with her bf (she caught it from his sister).  I was relieved that she didn't have to spend all that time alone in her dorm room and was able to stay at his home (he lives with his parents) and eat real food.  Before she went back to his house she was only eating dry cereal from her room even though I told her I could have meals delivered to her!  

Now I remember the details…didn’t her boyfriend come down with it too? How is he feeling? His parents are beyond generous to welcome a covid positive girlfriend into their home! I hope they helped ease your mind somewhat. 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Now I remember the details…didn’t her boyfriend come down with it too? How is he feeling? His parents are beyond generous to welcome a covid positive girlfriend into their home! I hope they helped ease your mind somewhat. 

Yes, her bf has it too and has mild symptoms as well.  She caught it from his sister (in his house).  Still, I told her she was putting her bf and his parents at risk even though they were exposed already by his sister but they all wanted her there.  I agree they were beyond generous in doing so (they didn't even ask her to isolate - that's what I would have done in their situation).  We had her choose a thank you gift for them from her and paid for it.  And, yes, it eased our minds a lot to have her there but I do/did worry about the risk to them.  Her bf didn't have symptoms until her day 8.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

Yes, her bf has it too and has mild symptoms as well.  She caught it from his sister (in his house).  Still, I told her she was putting her bf and his parents at risk even though they were exposed already by his sister but they all wanted her there.  I agree they were beyond generous in doing so (they didn't even ask her to isolate - that's what I would have done in their situation).  We had her choose a thank you gift for them from her and paid for it.  And, yes, it eased our minds a lot to have her there but I do/did worry about the risk to them.  Her bf didn't have symptoms until her day 8.  

Yeah, that sounds like an awkward situation for everyone involved— I hope they remain symptom free! 

• Thanks 1