Menu

Mild concussion? Update in first post

Kassia

3 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I'm not good with audiobooks - I've always had trouble following the story.  I love reading but need to do it visually.  DH and many of my friends have read so many books with audiobooks - wish it worked for me!  

Thank you so much for your support.  ❤️  

I don't do well with them, either, but I was hoping you were one of the people who likes them!

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Kassia said:

I'm not good with audiobooks - I've always had trouble following the story.  I love reading but need to do it visually.  DH and many of my friends have read so many books with audiobooks - wish it worked for me!  

Thank you so much for your support.  ❤️  

I can't stand audiobooks or listening to someone read.  My kids however LOVE audio books and have for 12 years.  

Checking in for the day to see how you are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

I can't stand audiobooks or listening to someone read.  My kids however LOVE audio books and have for 12 years.  

Checking in for the day to see how you are. 

Wouldn't it be great if we loved audiobooks?  I'm envious of people who can get so many more books read that way! 

16 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Thinking about you this morning, @Kassia

I slept a long time again last night and am still pretty tired - dozing for a while every couple of hours, but the headache/nausea seem much better so far today.  🙂   I'm feeling optimistic that I'm over the worst of it.  I can deal with being sleepy since I'm stuck on the couch anyway.  And it's so strange to sleep so much after having terrible insomnia for so many years.  I'm hoping this will retrain my brain somehow to sleep longer at night.  I still wake up constantly to use the bathroom but always go right back to sleep now.  

Thanks so much for thinking of me!  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Checking in this morning.  Hope you had a pain free night of sleep and are doing a little better day.  

Thank you.  Doing about the same - persistent nausea and sleepiness.  But the sleepiness is just tired - it's not like I can't wake up or can't stay awake.  But I sleep all night (which I never did before) and then nap for about 30 mins every 1-  1 1/2 hours. 

Thanks for thinking of me!  DH is getting concerned but nothing is worse and I have balance (thank goodness since I'm only on one leg), no confusion, etc.  I think it's normal for it to last this long from what I've read.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

Thank you.  Doing about the same - persistent nausea and sleepiness.  But the sleepiness is just tired - it's not like I can't wake up or can't stay awake.  But I sleep all night (which I never did before) and then nap for about 30 mins every 1-  1 1/2 hours. 

Thanks for thinking of me!  DH is getting concerned but nothing is worse and I have balance (thank goodness since I'm only on one leg), no confusion, etc.  I think it's normal for it to last this long from what I've read.  

Don’t forget that your body is working hard to heal after surgery. Extra sleep helps with that. 

• Like 2

I called my lousy doctor because the nausea is really wearing me down.  I have Zofran here and asked her if it's okay to take that for the nausea or if I should get something OTC or if it's better to take nothing at all.  She said the Zofran was fine - didn't ask me about the dosage or tell me how often or how long it's safe to take it.  She sounded like she couldn't wait to get off the phone.  I've been a patient in her office for about 8 years and have never contacted her after hours before so it's not like I'm a constant nuisance.  Good grief.  Thank goodness for Dr. Google and the Hive.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Sad 8

17 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh I hope the Zofran gives you some relief. 

14 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I do, too! Nausea is the WORST!!! 

I'm afraid to take the zofran because it will make me sleepy and I'm already sleeping so much.  Holding off unless it gets worse.  Eating helps for some reason (of course) so I've been eating nonstop when I'm awake.  I think I've eaten most of the food in the house - eek!  But the nausea is absolutely miserable.  It's like a blanket of nausea most of the day unless I'm eating or sleeping.  

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I'm afraid to take the zofran because it will make me sleepy and I'm already sleeping so much.  Holding off unless it gets worse.  Eating helps for some reason (of course) so I've been eating nonstop when I'm awake.  I think I've eaten most of the food in the house - eek!  But the nausea is absolutely miserable.  It's like a blanket of nausea most of the day unless I'm eating or sleeping.  

Ugh! I wish you could find a solution for the nausea! Maybe you could start a new thread asking for ideas — there must be other things you could try instead of the zofran. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Catwoman said:

Ugh! I wish you could find a solution for the nausea! Maybe you could start a new thread asking for ideas — there must be other things you could try instead of the zofran. 

I'm hoping it will end soon!  It has to, right?  

Thank you for caring - it means a lot.  ❤️ 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

How are you doing this morning?  I hope the Zofran worked. 

16 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I'm checking in, too! @Kassia, I hope you're feeling better today!

Again, thank you so much for thinking of me! 

I'm doing ok.  Still tire very easily and am sleeping a lot.  I still have nausea but it's tolerable, so I haven't taken the Zofran.  I really want to avoid taking that if possible.  DH is worried about me sleeping so much but I think it's good for healing my brain and also my operated foot.  I told him that if there's no improvement at two weeks (tomorrow is one full week), I'll look into being seen by someone but I don't know who.  Anyway, that's a "next week problem" as we like to put it.  

Thanks again.  ❤️

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Zofran does not make any member of my household (5 of us that have taken it in the last few years) sleepy. It’s primarily why we take Zofran rather than other anti-nausea stuff. 

21 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Same with me- doesn't make me sleepy. 

Thank you for posting!  This is very good to know!  I had a wave of more intense nausea earlier but it has passed.  I won't be as hesitant to try the Zofran in the future.  🙂  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I remember after dh had his ankle surgery and after I had a stroke several years ago that we slept a lot. I think sleeping is our bodies way to force us to rest it while we heal. I hope you are feeling better soon!

Thank you.  I'm a big believer in sleep being a great healer and always encourage people (esp. my kids) to sleep sleep sleep when they are sick.  

I didn't know you had a stroke, though!  That is terrifying.  😞 

• Like 3

Just now, Terabith said:

For what it's worth, zofran doesn't make anyone here sleepy.  Phenergan, yes.  Zofran, no.  

Also, I think sleep is probably the best thing you could do, honestly.  

Thank you!  I won't be afraid to take the zofran anymore and absolutely agree about the sleep.  🙂

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

How are you today?

Same - tired with nausea.  It's been one week.  I'll give it one more week and I guess I'll call a doctor?  I don't know who I would call but I don't want to worry about that now since I think/hope it won't be an issue.  DH thinks he's helping by bringing me all the comfort foods and all I keep doing is eating and eating and eating.  Ugh....

• Sad 2

26 minutes ago, thewellerman said:

In my experience, breaking a limb or surgery on one is absolutely exhausting.  I think a lot of it is all the extra work I've had to do to compensate for having one less to use.  Have you experienced breaking a bone before?  Were you extra tired then, too?  

I've had many surgeries and broken bones.  Actually, this surgery involved breaking my heel bone and shifting it over plus breaking another bone in my foot as well.  But the fatigue/nausea didn't start until soon after hitting my head so I'm certain the fatigue is related to that and not the surgery.  

My surgery was just over a month ago and I was still struggling with insomnia even after that except for the nights I took narcotics for pain.  

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

If I recall correctly, zofran can cause tummy issues (constipation?). I relied pretty heavily on it to make it through my pregnancies.  

Thank you for the warning!  No one offered it to me for my pregnancies - I would have loved some relief!  

Just now, Catwoman said:

@Kassia -- how are you feeling today? I keep praying that the nausea will go away!!!

Hard to say.  I *think* I'm gradually improving a bit each day.  DH says he doesn't see it but he's not in my head so I'll go with my assessment.  I still have nausea and fatigue but I really do think it's less than it was overall.

Thank you for thinking of me.  🙂    

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Hard to say.  I *think* I'm gradually improving a bit each day.  DH says he doesn't see it but he's not in my head so I'll go with my assessment.  I still have nausea and fatigue but I really do think it's less than it was overall.

Thank you for thinking of me.  🙂    

I'm glad to hear that you're seeing at least a little improvement! It doesn't seem like the kind of thing where you'll suddenly wake up one day and feel completely back to normal, so I think any improvement from one day to the next is a good sign.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

It doesn't seem like the kind of thing where you'll suddenly wake up one day and feel completely back to normal, so I think any improvement from one day to the next is a good sign.

That's what I think too.  🙂 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I'm glad to hear that you're seeing at least a little improvement! It doesn't seem like the kind of thing where you'll suddenly wake up one day and feel completely back to normal, so I think any improvement from one day to the next is a good sign.

Well, DH wins.  Today has been particularly bad with the nausea after all.  😞  Hopefully tomorrow will be better.  

• Sad 5

5 hours ago, Kassia said:

Jumping to the end here to say btdt with *5* concussions over the last few years. (yeah) HBOT. Go get HBOT immediately. They need to start you pretty low and you should plan on 20 sessions. If that means getting a hotel somewhere to be near a clinic that is qualified to do it, then get the hotel. Your nausea will reverse pretty quickly btw and you'll know it's working. And once you start, get off the computer. You shouldn't be reading. 😉 

On 1/10/2022 at 12:27 PM, Kassia said:

I told him that if there's no improvement at two weeks (tomorrow is one full week), I'll look into being seen by someone but I don't know who.

You need an HBOT clinic that is supervised by a doctor or nurse practitioner. They should have hard tanks, not soft, and they should be starting you off at something like 1.4. I like the tanks that are monopods (one person) where you lie down. Take an anxiety med if you need one and watch a ton of netflix on the tv during the dives. I got through a lot of seasons of Call the Midwife... There's a really cute show Somebody Feed Phil that is terrific. 

5 hours ago, Kassia said:

DH says he doesn't see it but he's not in my head so I'll go with my assessment. 

I hate to tell you this, but when you have a brain injury (which you do), you don't realize how hurt you are. Your dh's level of concern is IMPORTANT. I would listen to him and pursue treatment. You want HBOT. I've also done cranial sacral therapy, which can help loosen the tightness and release trauma associated with the injury. It's fine to do that too, but it's not a replacement for the HBOT. 

Edited by PeterPan

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Go get HBOT immediately. They need to start you pretty low and you should plan on 20 sessions. If that means getting a hotel somewhere to be near a clinic that is qualified to do it, then get the hotel. Your nausea will reverse pretty quickly btw and you'll know it's working. And once you start, get off the computer. You shouldn't be reading. 😉 

I know I shouldn't be reading and it definitely makes the nausea worse.  I can't focus for very long.  Just broke down and took zofran.  I can't go anywhere right now because I am recovering from foot surgery and am 100% non weightbearing.  I need help with everything so a hotel is out unless DH stays with me, which he can't do while working.  Plus all the covid issues.  And we can't afford all of that anyway.  But thank you for telling me about it - I'll have to look up HBOT and where it's available around here just so I know.  It certainly wouldn't be local but maybe Cleveland (I think you're in OH too?). 

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

I hate to tell you this, but when you have a brain injury (which you do), you don't realize how hurt you are. Your dh's level of concern is IMPORTANT. I would listen to him and pursue treatment. You want HBOT. I've also done cranial sacral therapy, which can help loosen the tightness and release trauma associated with the injury. It's fine to do that too, but it's not a replacement for the HBOT. 

I would worry more about DH's concern if it were about things like me being confused or not making sense but he's just going off how much I am sleeping and how nauseated I am.  I really do feel like I'm not as sleepy as I was but today was a really bad day for nausea, unfortunately.  I'm not having any other issues - not confused and my balance is fine - even on one foot! 

When you had concussions, how long did the symptoms last?  I'm at 8 days.  I thought I'd give it two weeks and then call a doctor but I don't really know what anyone can do.  And the expense is an issue as well...ugh, I hate having to constantly worry about that.  We have crappy insurance.

ETA - I just checked and there is actually a place 20 minutes away that does HBOT but I have no idea about insurance coverage.

Thank you! 

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Are you feeling any better today?

yes, better than yesterday.  Slept a lot last night and took a couple of naps this morning.  I just can't focus for long without getting nauseated and sleepy.  The zofran didn't work as well as I had hoped and I was pretty miserable yesterday evening.  

Thank you (as always) for thinking of me.  ❤️

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Kassia said:

I know I shouldn't be reading and it definitely makes the nausea worse.  I can't focus for very long.  Just broke down and took zofran.  I can't go anywhere right now because I am recovering from foot surgery and am 100% non weightbearing.  I need help with everything so a hotel is out unless DH stays with me, which he can't do while working.  Plus all the covid issues.  And we can't afford all of that anyway.  But thank you for telling me about it - I'll have to look up HBOT and where it's available around here just so I know.  It certainly wouldn't be local but maybe Cleveland (I think you're in OH too?). 

I would worry more about DH's concern if it were about things like me being confused or not making sense but he's just going off how much I am sleeping and how nauseated I am.  I really do feel like I'm not as sleepy as I was but today was a really bad day for nausea, unfortunately.  I'm not having any other issues - not confused and my balance is fine - even on one foot! 

When you had concussions, how long did the symptoms last?  I'm at 8 days.  I thought I'd give it two weeks and then call a doctor but I don't really know what anyone can do.  And the expense is an issue as well...ugh, I hate having to constantly worry about that.  We have crappy insurance.

ETA - I just checked and there is actually a place 20 minutes away that does HBOT but I have no idea about insurance coverage.

Thank you! 

Mine lasted at least 2 years. But I had no headache-just confusion.  Then later-I lost the ability to spell but gained the ability to do mental math.  It was so strange.  It took about 2 years to get back to normal.

• Sad 2

44 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Mine lasted at least 2 years. But I had no headache-just confusion.  Then later-I lost the ability to spell but gained the ability to do mental math.  It was so strange.  It took about 2 years to get back to normal.

Wow, that is scary!  My symptoms are just the nausea/fatigue.  Had a headache for a few days but now it just comes and goes.  Were you diagnosed and/or treated?  DH keeps wanting me to call a doctor but I don't know what they would do.  I don't have balance issues, confusion, weakness, any of those symptoms.  Seems like a waste to go in - esp. with all the hassle now with being on crutches.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kassia said:

DH keeps wanting me to call a doctor but I don't know what they would do.  I don't have balance issues, confusion, weakness, any of those symptoms.  Seems like a waste to go in - esp. with all the hassle now with being on crutches.  

So when you call the place that has the HBOT, they can tell you whether your insurance is likely to cover it. If it is (and some do, maybe you'll be lucky!), then you might need that MD diagnosis to get the codes and coverage. 

It's significant that your dh is saying he can tell you need help. Don't delay. HBOT is *amazing* for concussions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

So when you call the place that has the HBOT, they can tell you whether your insurance is likely to cover it. If it is (and some do, maybe you'll be lucky!), then you might need that MD diagnosis to get the codes and coverage. 

It's significant that your dh is saying he can tell you need help. Don't delay. HBOT is *amazing* for concussions.

Thanks.  As far as DH, I think it's just that he feels helpless to make me feel better and hates seeing me miserable for so long with the nausea/fatigue/discomfort.  It's not that I'm getting any worse.  

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

Wow, that is scary!  My symptoms are just the nausea/fatigue.  Had a headache for a few days but now it just comes and goes.  Were you diagnosed and/or treated?  DH keeps wanting me to call a doctor but I don't know what they would do.  I don't have balance issues, confusion, weakness, any of those symptoms.  Seems like a waste to go in - esp. with all the hassle now with being on crutches.  

Yes, diagnosed and treated.  I am still on the special vitamin that I was given.  And checked a number of times for problems with vision, brain, etc.

• Thanks 1