Menu

How do I decorate a castle

Dmmetler

I'm planning to decorate it. The figures will be fairly easy to paint. The castle will need sanding. I'm thinking maybe stenciling a rock pattern for the exterior, and possibly using vinyl to do the floors. I also have some scrapbooking paper that might make good wallpaper. Maybe make some tapestries. I've wanted to do a dollhouse for years, and apparently my fantasy minded teen felt I needed a castle with dragons and gelatinous cubes 🙂

• Like 13

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

It's lovely. I like the wood finish. It seems very Montessouri- like. 

It would likely work well for Montessori/Waldorf-type play, maybe with some waterproofing :). 

37 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I love that castle! I think I need one for my HP miniatures. I bought a house-shaped bookshelf set and painted them to be Hogwarts (taped and painted “stone” blocks on the exterior walls, metallic gold interior):

997D636A-9071-4278-B087-07061B96A81C.thumb.jpeg.3840c28d63f85a121dc9d95438e31e7d.jpeg

Apparently it came from Michaels. It's probably about the right scale. The doll pins are about an inch to an inch and a half.  

I'm excited about the possibilities in decorating it. I've always loved minatures, but never had a dollhouse past the little kid versions. The idea of decorating it for each season really appeals. 

• Like 6

So are those dice the normal size or are they huge?  I'm trying to judge the scale.  🙂

I have a very basic, four rooms dollhouse that my grandfather made for me when I was a kid.  I've always wanted to fix it up really nice and decorate it for each holiday/have it on display.   I've never had the space (or the time) to really do it well.  Right now it's in dd's room being used as a bookcase/place to put stuff.   

I may be getting more space for my business.  If I do, I may bring my dollhouse there and work on fixing it up as I have time.  I think it would look cool there.   Hmmmm.

I like your castle.  

The dice are huge-they're foam stress ball type and size. I have large D6 and I use polyhedral dice in teaching, so these will be added to that. They just fit the theme that seemed to be coming together.

To get some idea, the peg dolls are 1-1.5 inches, and the snowmen and tree are about 3". 

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 1

I  made one of those into a Hogwarts castle years ago. I painted some of the walls. I also used scrapbook paper as 'wallpaper' and even as the flooring; I just put several layers of glue or modpodge down. I also made several peg dolls to go with it. It was sold at a fundraiser for $175. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, historically accurate said:

I'd be tempted to do egg carton blocks for the walls: https://mnminimarket.com/2017/12/05/egg-carton-masonry/

That is Soooo cool!

16 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

I'm excited about the possibilities in decorating it. I've always loved minatures, but never had a dollhouse past the little kid versions. The idea of decorating it for each season really appeals. 

I had no idea I wanted to do this until you posted this. Now I do. 

14 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I saw a dollhouse book when I was a kid which used lentils as floor tiles. I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

oooh! Very cool! Like cobblestones!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

I love that castle! I think I need one for my HP miniatures. I bought a house-shaped bookshelf set and painted them to be Hogwarts (taped and painted “stone” blocks on the exterior walls, metallic gold interior):

997D636A-9071-4278-B087-07061B96A81C.thumb.jpeg.3840c28d63f85a121dc9d95438e31e7d.jpeg

Oh my gosh this is awesome!!!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

I'm planning to decorate it. The figures will be fairly easy to paint. The castle will need sanding. I'm thinking maybe stenciling a rock pattern for the exterior, and possibly using vinyl to do the floors. I also have some scrapbooking paper that might make good wallpaper. Maybe make some tapestries. I've wanted to do a dollhouse for years, and apparently my fantasy minded teen felt I needed a castle with dragons and gelatinous cubes 🙂

Your teen is fantastic! She knows you well, I think 🙂

• Like 2