Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

4 minutes ago, KSera said:

Last I read, a PCR negative on day five is pretty good.  I certainly wouldn’t let down guard any earlier than five days. I know it’s such a pain to do the whole masking in the house thing though. I’m sorry but I also hope that it’s successful.

Oh no. I’m sorry to hear. Is he fully vaccinated? Was he in poor health already? I’m still not sure how much to worry about if and when my parents get it.

Ugh, I was hoping to do three days and call it good. 

FIL is fully vaccinated, he’s had all the shots they offered. He’s 83 and not in the best health, but pretty good for someone wheelchair bound and somewhat frail. MIL’s funeral was just 5 days ago, and I think grief can hit one’s immune system. We are worried. 

• Sad 17

20 minutes ago, KSera said:

Is he requiring inpatient care or any supplemental oxygen?

Yes, he’s on oxygen. Paxlovid, steroids, oxygen and doxy. He’s in the isolation wing of a nursing home, and they can do most everything there, though I think the respirator would mean a trip to the hospital. Hoping it doesn’t come to that, they will decide in the next day or two.

I think a lot of us had become a bit complacent about Covid, we hear about so many mild cases. 

Edited by Spryte
  • Sad 7

A household member tested positive and has been coughing and hacking all over the common areas if the house and only tested because we were planning to go out of town this week. We have canceled all plans. 

Does anyone know what the current findings related to iron and severe disease is? I have iron deficiency anemia. My iron binding TIBC is high and my % saturation is low. My understanding is that this is better than high iron for disease severity, but I haven't seen anything recent. I am also, as you can imagine, exhausted,  and likely am not not as thorough on my research. 

• Sad 10

7 hours ago, SHP said:

A household member tested positive and has been coughing and hacking all over the common areas if the house and only tested because we were planning to go out of town this week. We have canceled all plans. 

Does anyone know what the current findings related to iron and severe disease is? I have iron deficiency anemia. My iron binding TIBC is high and my % saturation is low. My understanding is that this is better than high iron for disease severity, but I haven't seen anything recent. I am also, as you can imagine, exhausted,  and likely am not not as thorough on my research. 

I hope you and other family members stay healthy and can find ways to catch up on rest with everything canceled.

I don't know about disease severity and the iron values you mention, but just wanted to share that my dd's ferritin tanked after Covid, and I've heard from many others that ferritin can spike during the acute phase then plummet after.

Have also seen a bit of research on lactoferrin supplements suppressing SARS2, and also being a source of iron microbes can't feed off. We keep lactoferrin in the house in case one of us tests positive again.

Not sure if any of that is relevant to your situation, just wishing you the best and that's all I've got! 

6 hours ago, Acadie said:

I hope you and other family members stay healthy and can find ways to catch up on rest with everything canceled.

I don't know about disease severity and the iron values you mention, but just wanted to share that my dd's ferritin tanked after Covid, and I've heard from many others that ferritin can spike during the acute phase then plummet after.

Have also seen a bit of research on lactoferrin supplements suppressing SARS2, and also being a source of iron microbes can't feed off. We keep lactoferrin in the house in case one of us tests positive again.

Not sure if any of that is relevant to your situation, just wishing you the best and that's all I've got! 

That is what I have read as well from more recent studies. The high iron correlation eith more severe disease information is older.

I was anemic before exposure. I took two tests today, both negative. I have a sore throat and am losing my voice. I ha e a funny feeling that I will be positive in the next day or so.

I am absolutely livid with the positive person. I know they haven't been as diligent as I have and the fact that they were coughing up a storm for a couple of days in the common area and I had to demand they test... My blood pressure is spiking due to my anger. This trip meant a lot to me and there is no option to do it later given the circumstances of the trip. I am not so selfish as to go and risk infecting others so going is out. 

• Sad 19

23 hours ago, Spryte said:

Yes, he’s on oxygen. Paxlovid, steroids, oxygen and doxy. He’s in the isolation wing of a nursing home, and they can do most everything there, though I think the respirator would mean a trip to the hospital. Hoping it doesn’t come to that, they will decide in the next day or two.

I think a lot of us had become a bit complacent about Covid, we hear about so many mild cases. 

Any update on FIL? 

RE the bolded, I agree 100% and that complacency is part of the problem.

6 minutes ago, SHP said:

That is what I have read as well from more recent studies. The high iron correlation eith more severe disease information is older.

I was anemic before exposure. I took two tests today, both negative. I have a sore throat and am losing my voice. I ha e a funny feeling that I will be positive in the next day or so.

I am absolutely livid with the positive person. I know they haven't been as diligent as I have and the fact that they were coughing up a storm for a couple of days in the common area and I had to demand they test... My blood pressure is spiking due to my anger. This trip meant a lot to me and there is no option to do it later given the circumstances of the trip. I am not so selfish as to go and risk infecting others so going is out. 

I am really sorry.  

45 minutes ago, SHP said:

I'm so sorry. I understand and have felt really angry myself when we've had to miss travel and other significant events after people in my life either dismiss the importance or outright refuse to be more careful beforehand.

I mean, we know by now how this works....

And I long for an ethic of greater caring.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, SHP said:

Any update on FIL? 

RE the bolded, I agree 100% and that complacency is part of the problem.

His chest X-ray shows pneumonia. They added more meds, and he isn’t worse today, so that’s positive. Doc said the first five days will be critical, so we just have to wait and hope.

I am so sorry to hear you are not feeling well! Hoping it is mild for you, and passes quickly. I am sorry you will miss your trip. 

• Sad 9

5 hours ago, SHP said:

I absolutely feel for you. I went through the same thing - my other half refused to get another vaccine and then went to a concert unmasked and came back and infected me. I'd made a lot of sacrifices due to covid and I wasn't just angry, I was deeply grieved as to me it felt like an acknowledgement that I (and the kids) weren't worth it. I also felt very helpless - I could do all I could but I couldn't stop him bringing it into our home. I still feel very sad about it all, honestly. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 10

45 minutes ago, bookbard said:

I absolutely feel for you. I went through the same thing - my other half refused to get another vaccine and then went to a concert unmasked and came back and infected me. I'd made a lot of sacrifices due to covid and I wasn't just angry, I was deeply grieved as to me it felt like an acknowledgement that I (and the kids) weren't worth it. I also felt very helpless - I could do all I could but I couldn't stop him bringing it into our home. I still feel very sad about it all, honestly. 

I'm really sorry. It's understandable to feel really pained about that. I hope you recovered fully at least. I think a lot of people are living that situation right now (of those who still care about trying to avoid covid, that is).

• Like 1

Well, my sister in law’s husband just tested positive. I was told he stayed in bed all day. Now I’m freaked out about Covid again. 😞 I mask a lot still, but I do feel I’ve let my guard down as we’re doing more. My SO is a total denier about the severity of it all, so I get it.

• Sad 6

46 minutes ago, KSera said:

It can stick to plates even after being washed at restaurants” 😳😳

We don’t eat in restaurants these days, but we do get take out. It sounds less appetizing to me suddenly 🤢

It’s likely to be temporary. I am rethinking our very rare takeout for now too though!

At home, using disposable stuff for the sick person and putting a trash bag in the room with them helps a lot. Less handling in addition to being able to toss stuff. I hate doing it, but it’s not like they are up to eating much either, lol! It’s not too much waste.

And a designated sick bathroom (if possible) is very helpful.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

And a designated sick bathroom (if possible) is very helpful.

This is what we do for stomach bugs as well. I actually started masking up to help kids with stomach bugs in the bathroom several years before covid (N95), and never caught it from them since I started doing that. I also bleach wipe all high touch surfaces in the bathroom after each time they use it. We haven't had a stomach bug in a very long time, though. My 5 year old has never had one (only 2 when Covid started), so I feel bad about what a rude awakening throwing up will be when it inevitably happens one day! How confusing for a small child.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, KSera said:

My 5 year old has never had one (only 2 when Covid started), so I feel bad about what a rude awakening throwing up will be when it inevitably happens one day! How confusing for a small child.

My 15 y.o. had never barfed except when he had a migraine until he had surgery last summer. We've not had a full blown stomach bug since before he was born. 

He's in school this year, so...

• Like 2

I spoke with my doctor's office. I am considered to have covid given symptoms and exposure, but without a positive test they just want me to treat symptoms.  IF or WHEN I test positive, I only need to isolate for 5 days from symptom onset. Soo, if I test positive on day 3 or 4 of symptoms I am considered to be on day 3 or 4 of isolation. BUT! Since I currently only have negative tests and I could have another virus, I don't need to isolate. I could go to work without a mask and not be in violation of company policy since I have a negative test. Gee, I wonder why the number are high. 

My sore throat is still there but not as bad. I have a sporadic cough with very mild congestion.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, SHP said:

IF or WHEN I test positive, I only need to isolate for 5 days from symptom onset. Soo, if I test positive on day 3 or 4 of symptoms I am considered to be on day 3 or 4 of isolation. BUT! Since I currently only have negative tests and I could have another virus, I don't need to isolate. I could go to work without a mask and not be in violation of company policy since I have a negative test.

I have been fully aware how messed up current policy is, but this aspect of it didn't strike me--that they have people backward counting contagious days that until a positive test, they didn't have them isolating for 🤦‍♀️. Recently, it seems like a lot of people don't turn positive until their symptoms are about peaking and then they start feeling better, but they test positive for quite a few more days (but only a small number of people are still testing when they feel better to even realize they are still contagious). Such a mess. I hope you feel all better soon.

• Like 2

Quick question regarding blood tests during Covid. FIL is still fighting it, and doc is now cautiously optimistic (yay!). He’s on Paxlovid, steroids, doxy and Augmentin for the pneumonia, oxygen, fluids, and now an anticoagulant. There are two blood markers that are staying high — one for clotting and the other is ??? DH can’t remember and needs to pass the details on to his sisters. Any idea what that might be? He thinks it’s something with breathing.

• Like 2

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2023/02/24/lee-county-florida-republican-party-passes-resolution-to-ban-covid-19-vaccines/?sh=c4b346636dc0

If the Lee County Republican Party has their way, the state of Florida will be banning the use of Covid-19 vaccines. Yes, you heard that correctly. Based on a majority vote, the Party has passed a so-called “Ban the jab” resolution that will now go to the desk of Florida Governor Ron DeSantis (R) for his consideration. And why does the Party want such a ban? Well, an article for WINK News by Michael Hudak and Taylor Wirtz quoted Joe Sansone, the guy who drafted the resolution, as saying, “The Lee County Republican Party is going to be on the vanguard of this campaign to stop the genocide because we have foreign non-governmental entities that are unleashing biological weapons on the American people.”

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 3

30 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2023/02/24/lee-county-florida-republican-party-passes-resolution-to-ban-covid-19-vaccines/?sh=c4b346636dc0

If the Lee County Republican Party has their way, the state of Florida will be banning the use of Covid-19 vaccines. Yes, you heard that correctly. Based on a majority vote, the Party has passed a so-called “Ban the jab” resolution that will now go to the desk of Florida Governor Ron DeSantis (R) for his consideration. And why does the Party want such a ban? Well, an article for WINK News by Michael Hudak and Taylor Wirtz quoted Joe Sansone, the guy who drafted the resolution, as saying, “The Lee County Republican Party is going to be on the vanguard of this campaign to stop the genocide because we have foreign non-governmental entities that are unleashing biological weapons on the American people.”

Idaho state legislature is trying to do the same thing — in fact they're trying to ban ALL vaccines with mRNA:
https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/local/capitol-watch/idaho-lawmakers-introduce-legislation-to-criminalize-those-who-administer-covid-vaccines-legislature/277-2436a514-e7da-4b31-9762-f9be10300075

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

15 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Does anyone know if they have presented any verifiable evidence to support this? I know they are talking about the VAERS site, but do they have verifiable data.

I have tried to keep up with as much of the anti vaccine stuff that I can, and I have not seen much of anything that includes verifiable data. Almost everything I’ve seen is opinion based. I have seen various accounts of blood clots etc, but have seen follow ups that photographs used were reused pre Covid photos, or possibly even plant roots??

How do they deal with the data showing reduced Covid deaths, and even reduced all cause mortality in those who have been vaccinated- other than saying they don’t believe it and it’s a government conspiracy? How do they deal with the Uk ONS data released a few days ago?

I ask this because I live in the US and I would like to believe that something so consequential to peoples lives must be decided on some sort of hard facts. If you know of any, please let me know because it all feels very bleak to me.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, TCB said:

Does anyone know if they have presented any verifiable evidence to support this? I know they are talking about the VAERS site, but do they have verifiable data.

I have tried to keep up with as much of the anti vaccine stuff that I can, and I have not seen much of anything that includes verifiable data. Almost everything I’ve seen is opinion based. I have seen various accounts of blood clots etc, but have seen follow ups that photographs used were reused pre Covid photos, or possibly even plant roots??

How do they deal with the data showing reduced Covid deaths, and even reduced all cause mortality in those who have been vaccinated- other than saying they don’t believe it and it’s a government conspiracy? How do they deal with the Uk ONS data released a few days ago?

I ask this because I live in the US and I would like to believe that something so consequential to peoples lives must be decided on some sort of hard facts. If you know of any, please let me know because it all feels very bleak to me.

I'm curious about athlete and young people's deaths.  I can search and find headlines, and I do feel I see more of it now.     (sincerely, a vaccinated person)    My husband is legitimately worried about his Pfizer vax.  He does believe Covid and the response was a scam.  Of course, hindsight is 20/20.  

I think the problem is that people get clots from covid itself. If they took a vaccine or two and had covid a couple of times, followed by a heart attack, they blame their health problems on the vaccine rather than on covid. I have a relative who is in this category and would have died if there wasn't someone around to do CPR. He blames the vaccine.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ting Tang said:

I'm curious about athlete and young people's deaths.  I can search and find headlines, and I do feel I see more of it now.    

Like what Pronghorn said, people so inclined are blaming these on the vaccine when we know that Covid disease causes a marked increase in these kinds of deaths, and they should instead be alarmed about Covid causing so many early heart attacks. Younger people are the ones with the biggest increase in heart attacks after having been ill with Covid.  

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

There is a mail in disposable mask recycling program now, shipping and recycling is free. They take any maker and kind of mask.

Sustainability Disposable Mask Recycling Program – VIDA (shopvida.com)

This is excellent! Thanks for sharing!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

I'm curious about athlete and young people's deaths.  I can search and find headlines, and I do feel I see more of it now.     (sincerely, a vaccinated person)    My husband is legitimately worried about his Pfizer vax.  He does believe Covid and the response was a scam.  Of course, hindsight is 20/20.  

If it were vaccines and not covid causing increased deaths from heart attacks, we wouldn't have seen it start before vaccines were available, and it wouldn't be associated with surges in covid: https://www.cedars-sinai.org/newsroom/covid-19-surges-linked-to-spike-in-heart-attacks/

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, TCB said:

They don't deal with data, period.  This is all political grandstanding, and nothing to do with reality.  Sadly.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have a positive test this morning. I used a different style of test, not sure if that made a difference or not. Last night I felt better so I didn't test before bed. I hope that wasn't a mistake and that my husband doesn't catch it again.

I immediately logged on for a telehealth urgent care visit to get paxlovid called in to the pharmacy.

I am glad I was a Responsible Adult and made the choice not to go out of town and risk infecting other humans.

I will continue to be a responsible adult. I will still mask. If I have to go in to work ('Merica!) I will stay away from humans and remain masked. It may not be a choice to stay home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 9

Thanks! I felt so much better last night that waking up feeling worse was frustrating. Add in that a smoke detector was chirping and woke me up I will admit  that I got up on the wrong side of the bed. 

In other news, if you cannot unscrew a smoke detector to change the battery you can throw it on the ground a couple of times (I suggest a hard surface like tile) until it pops open and rip the speaker out to get it to shut up. You will have to buy a new smoke detector, but a few hours of silence is worth it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

10 hours ago, TCB said:

To me the lack of transparency on Covid risks really opened the door to conspiracy theories.

When public health messaging leads people to believe Covid is a cold or flu, but they start to see more deaths, heart issues and organ damage in real life, what could explain it? Even as anti-vaccine propaganda fills the gap, public health is still failing to alert the public to the Covid complications we are seeing in real time now.

That said, there are people who have cardiac issues, organ damage and Long-Covid-type sequelae from the vaccines--but it's a way smaller percentage than people who have complications from Covid. 

I think the fact that public health downplayed the existence of vaccine injury for decades was a precursor to downplaying Covid risks. Too much focus on calming public opinion, and not enough on preventing disease--including raising the alert on health risks when appropriate. 

What if, instead of denying that vaccine injury exists, we had done serious research on which populations are more likely to develop vaccine injury? What if, after identifying health or genetic conditions in more vulnerable populations, we researched how to reduce risk for those populations, not just those with egg allergy?

Sharing more accurate information on the risk/benefit ratio of vaccines could have built public trust in this essential public health tool. I really wish, like you, that actual evidence mattered more in health policy and in people's assessment of relative risks of disease and vaccination. 

PS--I'm afraid my post might prompt a response that vaccines are 100% safe, and it's anti-science to say otherwise. I mean, if an Advil can have negative side effects, so can a vaccine. But we've failed spectacularly to communicate to the public that Covid is MUCH more dangerous to the the vast majority of people than the vaccines. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 3

PSA for those in the states 

Check with your pharmacist to see if your insurance covers a certain number of tests per person per month at no cost to you.

I have a small stash from calling in and getting the free insurance paid tests each month.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, SHP said:

PSA for those in the states 

Check with your pharmacist to see if your insurance covers a certain number of tests per person per month at no cost to you.

I have a small stash from calling in and getting the free insurance paid tests each month.

This will be ending soon. Maybe, we have to wait and see.

What to expect when the COVID-19 public health emergency finally ends (msn.com)

What End of COVID-19 Public Health Emergency in U.S. Means | Time

COVID-19 tests

Currently, people with private insurance or Medicare can order up to eight rapid at-home tests a month and get reimbursed for their cost. After the PHE ends, insurers may continue to cover COVID-19 tests, including the over-the-counter at-home kind, but only if they are distributed by a narrower pool of in-network providers.

Medicare beneficiaries will also have to start paying for a portion of any tests. Medicaid will continue to pay for COVID-19 tests that are ordered by a doctor, but each state will decide whether to cover at-home tests.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

This will be ending soon. Maybe, we have to wait and see.

What to expect when the COVID-19 public health emergency finally ends (msn.com)

What End of COVID-19 Public Health Emergency in U.S. Means | Time

COVID-19 tests

Currently, people with private insurance or Medicare can order up to eight rapid at-home tests a month and get reimbursed for their cost. After the PHE ends, insurers may continue to cover COVID-19 tests, including the over-the-counter at-home kind, but only if they are distributed by a narrower pool of in-network providers.

Medicare beneficiaries will also have to start paying for a portion of any tests. Medicaid will continue to pay for COVID-19 tests that are ordered by a doctor, but each state will decide whether to cover at-home tests.

All the more reason to get as many as you can now!

• Like 2