Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Spryte said:

Fingers crossed for no Covid!

They are boosted though, I think? Our family is banking on the boosters helping lessen severity, if we catch it. And we know it’s likely, unfortunately.

They were boosted in Jan.   So yeah, but awhile ago.  Of course in my my covid crystal ball I would have had them boosted right before they left and not now.  They are now making everyone mask.  Um duh.  YOu should have done that from the start.  I know everyone is living and eating together, but doing something vs nothing.  I am glad though for everyone's safety but also now my kids are not the werid masking kids.  But yeah they had move in day with all the kids and the families and nobody but my kids and dh masking.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

They were boosted in Jan.   So yeah, but awhile ago.  Of course in my my covid crystal ball I would have had them boosted right before they left and not now.  They are now making everyone mask.  Um duh.  YOu should have done that from the start.  I know everyone is living and eating together, but doing something vs nothing.  I am glad though for everyone's safety but also now my kids are not the werid masking kids.  But yeah they had move in day with all the kids and the families and nobody but my kids and dh masking.  

That was a sympathetic “like” that I gave your post. I’m glad they are having everyone mask now, too, but seriously — I agree, they could’ve started with that policy!

Now I totally want a Covid crystal ball!

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

My older 2 got dropped off at a residential ballet intensive on Sunday where nobody but them are masking.  Guess what?   Someone tested positive for Covid today.   😞    This sucks.  I am worried for them, because even though they are masking, they are living and eating with these people.   

I have a kid going to camp in August and am concerned about the same thing. There is a chance that other kids might mask because it's a camp for kids with a rare disease, and some of those kids are masking still. However, it also sounds like it might be a camp within a camp where there will be other kids staying on the same campus that week, which I didn't realize. I can't really ask him to not go--it's a new thing, and he'll age out sooner than later; they cancelled it in 2020, and he might get to meet some of the kids he chats with online that have his same disease. 

He's also starting at a small high school in the fall, and the eating is a concern for me.

We're taking a giant plunge all at once. My older one went part-time to a vocational program all year, but he didn't have to eat on campus and was in a huge classroom with good ventilation.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I have a kid going to camp in August and am concerned about the same thing. There is a chance that other kids might mask because it's a camp for kids with a rare disease, and some of those kids are masking still. However, it also sounds like it might be a camp within a camp where there will be other kids staying on the same campus that week, which I didn't realize. I can't really ask him to not go--it's a new thing, and he'll age out sooner than later; they cancelled it in 2020, and he might get to meet some of the kids he chats with online that have his same disease. 

He's also starting at a small high school in the fall, and the eating is a concern for me.

We're taking a giant plunge all at once. My older one went part-time to a vocational program all year, but he didn't have to eat on campus and was in a huge classroom with good ventilation.

Yep.  Sigh.  They were going to go to ballet intensives in 2020.  All got cancelled and turned to virtual.  Last summer they stayed home too.  When we had to decide in Jan if they were going none of us were vaccinated, rates were sky high, and we were being told we would get vaccines by summer.  And of course it was 100% the wrong choice.  I live in that guilt everyday over that decision. 

I thought things would be better this summer.  Finally my younger 3 would be vaccinated.  I thought there wouldn't be surge after surge with no real break.  I felt such dread watching the rates and the news as I was getting ready to drop them off.  What the heck do you do?  They have missed out on so much. Tell them to wait until next year?  Who knows if then will be better.  I felt like I was doing the wrong thing letting them go, it sucked.  And then they asked me what they should do.  SHould they mask?  I mean it is just a no win situation. It felt dumb to tell them to not mask at all knowing the rates and that we haven't had Covid that we know of.  But then I knew socially if they were the only ones masking how hard that is as a teen.  Plus if you are the only one masking, will it even do any good? And when you are eating and living with people, you are exposed enough then.  What is masking going to do?  Anyway they have masked during it, lots of vitamins, and I sent them with an air purifier.  I hope they don't get sick when I am 9 hours away and this is their first time away from home.  I am going to be spending the rest of their time worried about them.

Parenting during this sucks.

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

23 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

But then I knew socially if they were the only ones masking how hard that is as a teen.  Plus if you are the only one masking, will it even do any good? And when you are eating and living with people, you are exposed enough then.  What is masking going to do? 

It's hard. Socially, my son really needs his rare disease camp. He needs to be with people who look and move like him and who have the same or similar medical issues.

I think solo masking still helps a lot. It's not perfect, but it goes a long way. There are a lot of public school kids that haven't gotten it even when they are eating together, but it obviously ebbs and flows around large gatherings, holidays, etc. Sleeping in a mask is a bit harder, but I wonder if I can get my kid some soft tape meant for skin to keep his in place--DH and I slept in masks during at least part of my son's recent hospitalizations. I did it when I could keep it from moving up to poke me in the eye, and as long as I wasn't drooling in it, lol! A little tape could've fixed the issue, I think. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kbutton said:

It's hard. Socially, my son really needs his rare disease camp. He needs to be with people who look and move like him and who have the same or similar medical issues.

I think solo masking still helps a lot. It's not perfect, but it goes a long way. There are a lot of public school kids that haven't gotten it even when they are eating together, but it obviously ebbs and flows around large gatherings, holidays, etc. Sleeping in a mask is a bit harder, but I wonder if I can get my kid some soft tape meant for skin to keep his in place--DH and I slept in masks during at least part of my son's recent hospitalizations. I did it when I could keep it from moving up to poke me in the eye, and as long as I wasn't drooling in it, lol! A little tape could've fixed the issue, I think. 

The only upside even though they are living with people it is in this huge amazing suite.  Each kid has their own bedroom and then share a huge living/kitchen  and bathroom with 1-3 other people.  I am not having them mask while sleeping, but did have them set up air purifiers in their rooms.  I was hoping they would have windows they could open, but their windows don't open at all.  Sigh.  Do you know if they have windows in the place they are sleeping or you could do an air purifier? 

I get the importance of these social and normal experiences for our kids.  They need to be able to do these things. I hope your ds has a great time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Do you know if they have windows in the place they are sleeping or you could do an air purifier? 

I get the importance of these social and normal experiences for our kids.  They need to be able to do these things. I hope your ds has a great time.

I don't know about accommodations right now. I am hoping to find out. Regarding the bolded, I wasn't trying to sound lecture-y, so my apologies. I am trying to talk myself into it. 🙂 

I hope your kids have a great time as well! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kbutton said:

I don't know about accommodations right now. I am hoping to find out. Regarding the bolded, I wasn't trying to sound lecture-y, so my apologies. I am trying to talk myself into it. 🙂 

I hope your kids have a great time as well! 

Oh I didn't take what you said as a lecture to me at all.  Sorry if my statement came out to feel like that.  

Man I just want to be sending my kids off for the first time worrying about if they will eat healthy foods sometimes, if they are homesick, or they are handling their laundry.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Paper tape (look for it by the first aid stuff in the store) works very well on masks, and it is easy to remove, too. It also doesn't leave any glue residue behind. It comes in different widths, and the wider tape is much more forgiving to apply.

Edited by Catwoman

Adding to anecdata. I had 2 doses of Moderna last spring/summer. Then December 13 had Covid.  We believe it was Omicron, based on reports from local health officials.  

2 weeks ago, my 72 year old mom, who had 2 doses of Pfizer early on, came down with Covid.  I went to stay with her and was unable to prevent exposure for a variety of reasons. My unvaccinated sister, who had Covid this past January,  took turns staying with her also.

But when it was all said and done, neither of us ended up with any symptoms, and neither did our families. We also had all spent time with my mom the day before she developed symptoms. 

So, for us, 5-6 months out, I guess we had some level of natural immunity.🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 3

FDA meeting for <5 COVID vaccine: Q&A - by Katelyn Jetelina (substack.com)

We have a hard choice. Which vaccine should my kids get?

You cannot make a wrong decision. Either vaccine is better than nothing, and both help with severe disease and death.

To me, though, the choice is clear. My girls will get Moderna for four reasons:

1. The confidence in Pfizer’s efficacy is not strong… at all. Efficacy was only based on 3 cases in the vaccine group and 7 cases in the control group. Pfizer didn’t meet the standard protocol of 21 cases. This means the “true” effectiveness is unstable—it could be anywhere between 14% and 81%. We don’t know exactly where. Take 81% with a grain of salt.

2. Antibodies with Moderna reach the same levels in half the time compared to Pfizer (6 vs. 13 weeks). Kids are not protected until Dose 3 of Pfizer, which is a while.

3. Moderna confirmed they already started testing Dose 3 (booster) and will have data by this summer. We know that this vaccine is at least a 3-dose series. So, once we get Moderna and Pfizer on the same playing field, efficacy will be comparable. Importantly, Moderna is testing an Omicron-specific booster, not the original vaccine. This is different from the Pfizer trial, in which Dose 3 is the original formula. This is huge. By the end of summer, Moderna kids will likely be on the same playing field as adults, who will likely get a bivalent vaccine this fall.

4. FDA said they do not know whether the primary series for Pfizer is 3 doses or if this third dose is considered a booster. In other words, it may very well be that Pfizer kids will need a fourth dose for primary efficacy.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

Is there any hope for Covid turning into something less than it is anymore?  

It’s still evolving with new variants. We don’t know how dangerous or virulent each subsequent variant will be. Could be mild. Could be not. But each variant that’s more removed from what people have built up even a tiny bit of immunity to (whether by vaccine or by infection) then we are starting over again to some extent because it’s new to our body’s immune system. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I posted the study in the wuhan thread but not in this thread 

Lanctot study link https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(22)00941-2/fulltext

17 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

But so many more people are getting Omicron that the Long Covid numbers might end up higher nonetheless. 

Yes. As the study did show. 

• Like 2

On 6/15/2022 at 9:42 AM, mommyoffive said:

My older 2 got dropped off at a residential ballet intensive on Sunday where nobody but them are masking.  Guess what?   Someone tested positive for Covid today.   😞    This sucks.  I am worried for them, because even though they are masking, they are living and eating with these people.   

Yup. We need the people that are the infected ones to be masking! THAT is more effective. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

But so many more people are getting Omicron that the Long Covid numbers might end up higher nonetheless. 

With all the bad things Covid brings.  More people died in the 8-week Omicron wave in our state than the 23-week Delta wave.  Yes, per case mortality was lower with Omicron.  But so.many.more.cases.

https://news.yale.edu/2022/05/20/omicron-variant-caused-more-excess-deaths-massachusetts-delta

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

so in crazy times, today I tested negative. Different brand test, so maybe not as sensitive? Yesterday it wasn't positive till right at 15 minutes. 

Anecdotally, DH, who is still a dark immediate positive on day 6, has chronic issues with low vitamin D. And ran out of supplements and didn't tell me. I, on the other hand, had to stop one of my D supplements because my levels were actually HIGH, which I didn' tknow what a thing. Now I get D in my bariatric vitamin, but not extra. I did order some extra that is being delivered tonight, both for me/dh and the Nordic brand gummies for the kids. 

That said, Do I still isolate for however long, even once I'm testing negative? Only symptom was yesterday evening my voice was a bit hoarse, and today, maybe feel a bit off, like tat sort of not quite a headache feeling, but we also had a thunderstorm come through, so sometimes the change in pressure causes a headache. Maybe feel a bit...hot sort of, but no fever. Meh. 

Guessing I caught it, but am fighting it off. 

4 minutes ago, Mom_to3 said:

Hopefully yours will be a truly mild case. I'd still be careful until you repeatedly test negative and potential symptoms abate. It's highly unlikely that yesterday was a false positive considering your exposure and mild symptoms.

oh, yeah, I don't think it was false positive, given the situation. I'm just hoping i fought it off well, or am fighting it well, and am wondering how soon I can consider myself fairly non contagious. At least to be with kids while masked, to do dishes, make meals, do laundry, etc. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

oh, yeah, I don't think it was false positive, given the situation. I'm just hoping i fought it off well, or am fighting it well, and am wondering how soon I can consider myself fairly non contagious. At least to be with kids while masked, to do dishes, make meals, do laundry, etc. 

If it were me, I'd test again tomorrow and if I was still negative I'd graduate to doing things around the house masked. If symptoms returned/got worse, I'd go back to isolation, but like you said, hard to tell what might be allergy. It seems to me that if your viral load isn't high enough to trigger a positive test, it's unlikely masked you will be spewing enough virus to infect anyone.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, livetoread said:

If it were me, I'd test again tomorrow and if I was still negative I'd graduate to doing things around the house masked. If symptoms returned/got worse, I'd go back to isolation, but like you said, hard to tell what might be allergy. It seems to me that if your viral load isn't high enough to trigger a positive test, it's unlikely masked you will be spewing enough virus to infect anyone.

kind of what I'm thinking. I'll stay 6 ft away, and mask, and religiously use hand sanitizer and wash hands. Maybe get again the same brand that I tested positive on the first time?

• Like 3

Cross posting in case someone didn't read the thread I started about this, but I've been testing with both Binax and Flowflex, and now Binax was positive twice, Flowflex negative twice. Seems there is definitely a difference in sensitivity - had I only used FlowFlex I wouldn't know I had Covid. But, Binax are harder to come by here, I got the last one from Walgreens by me yesterday, and Target and Publix didn't show they had any for grocery delivery. Only FlowFlex and others. It does look like my Walmart has them, currently, for delivery or shipping. about to order more. 

DH tested positive last monday, and then went into isolation. We will call that my last day of potential exposure, and day 1, for simplicity. 

Day 1: DH tested positive on whatever the free test from the government is, I tested negative. 

Day 5: I tested very faint positive on Binax. Took a full 15 minutes plus..closer to 20 to really see it. DH tested positive on FlowFlex. Symptoms:  I had a hoarse voice that evening, felt a bit weaker than normal when mowing the lawn. Had insomnia that night with some muscle tension.

Day 6: I tested negative on FlowFlex. Symptoms: Slight postnasal drip, felt run down a bit that evening. Voice a bit hoarse in the evening.

Day 7. I tested positive on Binax, again faint, again took more like 20 minutes to really be sure there was a line, and tested negative on FlowFlex. I even took a second FlowFlex swabbing my throat, then nostril, and still negative. Symptoms: Definite postnasal drip. Fatigued more easily, heart rate higher on exertion than typical. Ear popping/pressure on one side. Little sinus pressure. Took a 12 hour Sudafed and a 12 hour mucinex. first meds. 

Day 8: Have not tested today as of yet. Symptoms: HR still gets elevated more quickly when moving around, more easily fatigued, some sinus pressure/post nasal drip, voice is a bit off. 

covid test comparison.jpeg

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Can I just agree with what has been said so often: information-sharing and messaging is abysmal. I work for a very intelligent, lovely woman who does try to stay abreast of CDC recommendations. Yet...

1. Came into the office unmasked even though hoarse, stuffy and sneezing.

2. Got a positive Covid result on Saturday and emailed (instead of texted or called) the three of us she had been in close contact with. I got the email at work today...after having our daughter over for Father's Day.

3. Said that I should be fine since we were socially distanced (standing in my office about 6 feet apart and talking/sneezing).

4. Took a couple emails and a phone conversation to convince her to ask her doctor about Paxlovid. She didn't know it was readily available and not only prescribed to those who are immumocompromised. Her doc immediately wrote her a script due to several factors.

5. Only plans to isolate 5 days if she is fever free for 24 hours.

Sigh.

Edited by iamonlyone
  • Sad 12

9 hours ago, iamonlyone said:

Can I just agree with what has been said so often: information-sharing and messaging is abysmal. I work for a very intelligent, lovely woman who does try to stay abreast of CDC recommendations. Yet...

Sigh.

Let me guess, she also doesn't think she should retest to ensure she is not positive? I dealt with that with an in home health care worker. She actually entered the house of an immune suppressed client who has been fighting an ongoing infection for two years without a mask and without retest with the rational that it had been 5 days and she wasn't told to retest. I was so shocked by the ignorance and disregard for clients health that I was unable to verbalize any of the million things going through my mind. Probably for the best, but still HOW can a person be both knowledgeable and yet so ignorant?

• Sad 7

To be fair, I was told by the doctor I saw yesterday that, “I was almost done”, since I was on day 4. She told me on day 6, I could start hanging out with my family again and did not need to retest or anything. I just nodded but thought she was crazy since for the first four days I woke up feeling worse than the day before. Today, is the first day I didn’t but I feel the same as yesterday. I’m not hanging out with my family until my symptoms are gone and I test negative. Unfortunately, it seems many are being told by healthcare workers after day five they’re good no matter what. 

Edited by Joker2
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6

41 minutes ago, Joker2 said:

To be fair, I was told by the doctor I saw yesterday that, “I was almost done”, since I was on day 4. She told me on day 6, I could start hanging out with my family again and did not need to retest or anything. I just nodded but thought she was crazy since for the first four days I woke up feeling worse than the day before. Today, is the first day I didn’t but I feel the same as yesterday. I’m not hanging out with my family until my symptoms are gone and I test negative. Unfortunately, it seems many are being told by healthcare workers after day five they’re good no matter what. 

I hope you fully recover soon

• Like 1

10 hours ago, iamonlyone said:

2. Got a positive Covid result on Saturday and emailed (instead of texted or called) the three of us she had been in close contact with. I got the email at work today...after having our daughter over for Father's Day.

3. Said that I should be fine since we were socially distanced (standing in my office about 6 feet apart and talking/sneezing).

4. Took a couple emails and a phone conversation to convince her to ask her doctor about Paxlovid. She didn't know it was readily available and not only prescribed to those who are immumocompromised. Her doc immediately wrote her a script due to several factors.

Sigh.

Oh wow, and you she is trying to stay up on the CDC news.  I don't blame her.  I feel like you have to be really on top of this for the last 2 plus years to know what you should do.  Dh pays a tiny bit of attention to it.  I have paid so much attention to it.  Like over the years it was everyday and reading all the stuff.  He would come to me to know what to do.  I can't imagine if you were not even paying attention or reading anything, how little you would know.  Plus the CDC has not been good during this at all getting messages out.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joker2 said:

Did she say to mask at least? Official word is 5 days isolation, (with first day as day 0), then 5 days masking around others. Sounds like a lot of people are not getting that second part clear. 

Also, about half of people will still test positive then!!! And if you do test positive on day 5, you should isolate until day 10. But of course, that just means people won't test, because if you don't know it, you don't have to do anything different. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SHP said:

Let me guess, she also doesn't think she should retest to ensure she is not positive? I dealt with that with an in home health care worker. She actually entered the house of an immune suppressed client who has been fighting an ongoing infection for two years without a mask and without retest with the rational that it had been 5 days and she wasn't told to retest. I was so shocked by the ignorance and disregard for clients health that I was unable to verbalize any of the million things going through my mind. Probably for the best, but still HOW can a person be both knowledgeable and yet so ignorant?

Exactly. I don't think it has occurred to her to test until negative, and that is not the messaging the CDC is putting out there.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, iamonlyone said:

Sigh.

Maybe share this with her? https://khn.org/news/article/rapid-antigen-test-isolation-guidance/?fbclid=IwAR1vg0snrY8x3_jp5s7Oka0lPLDvzrSNNvRgX7mv6KJk3QiwLR13H9l6frw

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/coronavirus-covid-sneeze-fluid-dynamics-in-photos

And this 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joker2 said:

Yes! The communication about this disease is not good—geared to less work-time loss rather than best health practices.

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh wow, and you she is trying to stay up on the CDC news.  I don't blame her.  I feel like you have to be really on top of this for the last 2 plus years to know what you should do.  Dh pays a tiny bit of attention to it.  I have paid so much attention to it.  Like over the years it was everyday and reading all the stuff.  He would come to me to know what to do.  I can't imagine if you were not even paying attention or reading anything, how little you would know.  Plus the CDC has not been good during this at all getting messages out.  

I agree. I am like you and have followed carefully (thank you WTM Board!) from the beginning. Still, I have received many eye rolls and pretty much all our friends have drifted from us because we suggested others might want to buy ahead before Covid hit the US hard...wear masks...avoid large, indoor gatherings...stay at home from church when things are bad.

It seems like if the general public had the information we have on this board, from the very beginning, that a lot more people might (might...) be willing to mask, stay home when sick, etc.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Ooo! Thank you! I'll share the first, for sure. (The second might make her feel worse than she already does for potentially exposing me.)

• Like 1