Menu

Dairy and nut free hot drinks - ideas?

Spryte

Looking for a hot drink option that’s dairy free and nut free, something we can keep warm and serve all afternoon would be ideal. We have other allergies, but those are the big ones and I can work around most.

We’ve got espresso drinks covered, but something for the broken people, errrrr, non-coffee drinkers would be ideal. 😊

Cider and apple based drinks are not loved here, possibly a hot chocolate might work, but other options might be more loved. 

I’m drawing a blank on something festive and delicious that fits our needs.

Any ideas?

How about coconut golden milk?  Golden milk has become a thing, and I've had it made with coconut milk several times.  It's kind of like a version of chai tea, but made with turmeric.  I think it can be a very delicious, festive drink!  There are lots of different versions of it.  Here's one:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/coconut_golden_milk/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, J-rap said:

How about coconut golden milk?  Golden milk has become a thing, and I've had it made with coconut milk several times.  It's kind of like a version of chai tea, but made with turmeric.  I think it can be a very delicious, festive drink!  There are lots of different versions of it.  Here's one:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/coconut_golden_milk/

That sounds very good. And I can source each of those ingredients so they meet our allergy requirements, which is a bonus.

• Like 1

Glögg (mulled wine / spiced fruit drink) is a very popular seasonal drink in Scandinavia. It can be served non-alcoholic or with alcoholic. IKEA has the spiced fruit drink, and you can add raisins, (almonds), and wine to it if you wish. It's served warmed up, even if it's non-alcoholic. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

Mulled wine.
Herbal tea - there are many different flavors. You could provide an assortment of tea bags and just keep the hot water hot.

Yum. I love mulled wine. I would love to make gluhwein (sp?), but I think we have to keep it non-alcoholic for this gathering.

The hot tea assortment is a great idea, I hadn’t thought of keeping hot water available! That sounds easy.

I can’t quite remember, but one year we did a version of a warm drink served in the Harry Potter books, and kept it in the crock pot. Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me remember what it was! Kids liked it, though. 🤣

We keep a thermal carafe of hot water filled all day.  That way we don't have to wait for the kettle every time someone wants a cup of tea.  When we used to have guests we put out lots of tea choices and people liked it.  I think a variety of winter or Christmas teas could be fun!

If you went with a loose leaf or one kind of tea you could use a thermal carafe for that and have it already made.  (don't use a carafe that is used for coffee)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a fondness for Yogi throat comfort herbal tea.   - It's really good.  (and is good for sore throats.) The horehound makes it sweet so it doesn't need sugar.

or just have hot water and people can choose their own.  There are apple cider packs as well as a lot of flavors of herbal and non-herbal teas.

I think celestial seasonings has "winter/christmas" flavors of herbal tea.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I've recently become a tea drinker.  These look SO nice!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Ikea stopped carrying the Glogg this year. They have some new version of something similar to Glogg that dh reports is nowhere near as good.

That's too bad. When I was in Norway, they often used a fruit drink concentrate and warmed it up. Something like Ribena would probably taste nice. 

71mWw1YTcbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

I can’t quite remember, but one year we did a version of a warm drink served in the Harry Potter books, and kept it in the crock pot. Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me remember what it was! Kids liked it, though. 🤣

Was it butterbeer? There are a ton of recipes for hot butterbeer if you google.

Cranberry juice mulled with cider spices might be nice. 

Edited by mellifera33
  • Like 1

We like Ghirardelli hot chocolate mixes. Their double chocolate version is vegan, containing just sugar, cocoa, unsweetened chocolate, soy lecithin, and vanilla extract. 

It is not made in an allergy-free facility, so if the allergies are severe, you might want to skip this one.

I see that Swiss Miss also makes a dairy-free version of their hot chocolate. It does contain coconut.

• Like 1