Menu

Can someone explain Supernatural to me?

Terabith

Okay, can someone explain Supernatural to me? I started watching because I wanted to better understand the memes, and also because there's a lot of it and now that I finished Midnight Mass, I'm bored, but it appears to be X Files set in the early aughts, if Mulder and Scully 1) had no authority, 2) zero money (Are they literally paying for everything with credit card fraud?), and 3) really no work that doesn't involve talking to hot girls. Their superpower appears to be lucking into things that allow them to kill supernatural creatures.

• Haha 1

If you are into sci-fi...there are a lot of wink/nods written into the storylines. It's super funny when you catch all the "inside" jokes. It weaves together folklore, myths, tall tales, and urban legends. 

It's a funny, quirky show that is willing to laugh at itself and the genre. but with engaging storytelling. It's one of my favorites. 

Throughout the series, you see the writers take you through most story archetypes over the arc of the series:

Overcoming the Monster. The Quest. Voyage and Return. Comedy. Tragedy. Rebirth.

If you watch Supernatural: The Long Road Home...it explains the entire series. 

Edited by calbear
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, MooCow said:

Love Supernatural! I joined it late in the series, but my family happily started it from the beginning again with me. I bawled like a baby at the end. 

Oh yes, bawled like a baby here, too. Our oldest turned us onto it when he was a junior in high school, first season or so.

I don’t watch tv shows twice, ever, but before the last season DH and I watched it all again, one or two shows a night. Took a long time. 🤣

We are watching again with DS17, and still in the first season. They look so young! I had forgotten how different the first season feels, in terms of developing story lines. They really find their footing though. 

• Like 2

I watched it because DD adores it and talked about it all the time.  Yes, very X-Files-ish.  But the relationships/actors grow on you.  And some of the episodes are really original/creative as well as funny.  I took DD to the Supernatural convention in Denver a few weeks ago.  Fun!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, calbear said:

If you are into sci-fi...there are a lot of wink/nods written into the storylines. It's super funny when you catch all the "inside" jokes. It weaves together folklore, myths, tall tales, and urban legends. 

It's a funny, quirky show that is willing to laugh at itself and the genre. but with engaging storytelling. It's one of my favorites. 

Throughout the series, you see the writers take you through most story archetypes over the arc of the series:

Overcoming the Monster. The Quest. Voyage and Return. Comedy. Tragedy. Rebirth.

If you watch Supernatural: The Long Road Home...it explains the entire series. 

Where can you watch supernatural the long road home now?

5 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I mean, no, but couldn't they have fought monsters part time while Sam went to law school?  Maybe focused on LOCAL monsters?

It's really hard to keep up with school while saving people and hunting things. The changelings always want to feed right when you have a midterm. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, KidsHappen said:

Where can you watch supernatural the long road home now?

Well, probably totally bootleg...but this youtube channel uploaded it in "scenes" here: Just start playing the whole playlist. If you let it play through it will just naturally start the next one in the playlist.

I watched it back in the day... I maybe made it through the first 8 or 9 seasons and then I sort of lost interest. I know, I know. I've thought about going back but... honestly I think the fact that they did what was probably a good three or four seasons or more before ever passing the Bechdel test might make me nuts now.

• Like 1

Okay, I'm 8 episodes in, and I'm like WHY AREN'T THEY BEING ARRESTED ALL THE TIME???  Besides the credit card fraud, they're constantly breaking and entering, desecrating grave yards, and involved with various people's deaths.  

Also, there is no way that fire is hot enough to melt metal, let alone bone.  Do you have any idea how hot you have to get a fire to destroy bone?  You can't do it with a freaking MATCH!  

5 hours ago, Terabith said:

Okay, I'm 8 episodes in, and I'm like WHY AREN'T THEY BEING ARRESTED ALL THE TIME???  Besides the credit card fraud, they're constantly breaking and entering, desecrating grave yards, and involved with various people's deaths.  

Also, there is no way that fire is hot enough to melt metal, let alone bone.  Do you have any idea how hot you have to get a fire to destroy bone?  You can't do it with a freaking MATCH!  

There is an explanation for all of the weird things, we just can't tell you what it is.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 11/1/2021 at 8:38 PM, Farrar said:

I watched it back in the day... I maybe made it through the first 8 or 9 seasons and then I sort of lost interest. I know, I know. I've thought about going back but... honestly I think the fact that they did what was probably a good three or four seasons or more before ever passing the Bechdel test might make me nuts now.

That is/was hard for me. I’m not willing to *completely* overlook it, but I try to remember that it began 16 years ago. And 16 years before that, I was a 12yo watching movies with even more misogyny, homophobic slurs every scene, and tons of racial garbage.  I don’t justify it for 1989 or 2005, but it’s a reminder of how excruciatingly slow change is. And how long 16 years are.

(We’ve tried so many times to revisit old movies with our kids only to turn them off in the first 15 minutes. 😞)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm onto the second season.  New questions:  How much salt do these guys have?  Where do they store it?  Their trunk is full of weapons!  Where do you buy salt by the metric ton anyway?

What kind of college students in the early aughts were keeping paper journals?  Why aren't they hacking people's LiveJournals?

How do they burn BONES with some gasoline and a lighter?  There's no way they're getting fires hot enough to burn bone!

Does nobody ever check IDs?  Run names through databases?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

FINALLY they got arrested and someone at least mentioned the credit card fraud and breaking and entering.  

There seems to be an awful lot of making deals with demons and using souls as a commodity in this show.  

Oooh, wait until you meet Castiel, it'll blow your mind, lol.