Menu

Freaking out a bit - covid

Elizabeth86

Just looking for a place to vent. Kind words only please, I’m a wreck:

Ok guys, so I was being super cautious about COVID in the beginning. We really loosened up this summer and started doing things. My parents too.  I have had allergies going on for a few weeks now. Visited with my parents on Thursday and didn’t really think much about it, now I feel I have a bit of sore throat and my head hurts a bit. I’m losing my mind right now. Just cried to dh and he just kept playing a game on his phone. I talked to my mom and she’s not worried as she has had allergies lately too. I feel so dumb for letting my guard down. So dumb. If I have COVID and exposed my dad to it, I could never forgive myself. I haven’t got a test yet as it all just became a concern today. To top it off, my sil just tested positive. My parents briefly met with her and my niece and her 2 kids last week, but it wasn’t long and they were outside. I’m the only vaccinated person in my house and my dh and all 4 kids don’t seem to have any kind of symptoms.  Gahhh. Time to lock back down. 😩I hate this awful virus. My parents are vaccinated, but I’m still pretty worried.

• Sad 14

Just now, Katy said:

Go get tested.  I tested myself this week with one of those at home rapid tests because my allergies were so bad I started feeling sick.  Turns out it's just bad allergies.

So glad it was just allergies for you!!! I’m going to call around in a few minutes and see where I need to go.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

So glad it was just allergies for you!!! I’m going to call around in a few minutes and see where I need to go.

So, I'll say that most of the time you feel sick, it's not COVID 😉 . That's why positivities are generally under 15%... 

You should get tested. But don't assume anything until you do. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So sorry but glad to hear that both you and your parents are vaccinated.  Hopefully it will be allergies. Part of getting vaccinated was being able to re-engage in life, so don't feel too bad.  I've been doing things outside without a mask, but still using a mask for indoor shopping, etc.  No indoor restaurants for me since I would not be able to keep a mask on.  But otherwise, I've been traveling, etc.  I'm going to see my vaccinated 90yo dad in Texas on Monday, and will be flying.  I don't remove my mask on the plane or at the airport.

Fingers crossed for you!

Edited by goldberry
  • Thanks 1

Sending some gentle hugs.  But yeah go get tested.  It sounds like your SIL might have already exposed them.  Not sure about the timeframe.  I am glad you and your parents are vaccinated.   Have your parents tested at all? 

Now I just try and take a breath.  Yes it could be Covid, but it also could be something else.  Take a breath.  Find a test.    I hope it turns out to not be Covid.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Sending some gentle hugs.  But yeah go get tested.  It sounds like your SIL might have already exposed them.  Not sure about the timeframe.  I am glad you and your parents are vaccinated.   Have your parents tested at all? 

Now I just try and take a breath.  Yes it could be Covid, but it also could be something else.  Take a breath.  Find a test.    I hope it turns out to not be Covid.

No one has tested yet. All the details have just unfolded today. I’m not 💯 on the timeframe with sil either right now. I’m setting up an appointment at cvs tomorrow.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, goldberry said:

So sorry but glad to hear that both you and your parents are vaccinated. 

OP, I hope the following gives you a laugh.

I had to read that quote from @goldberry at least 3 times befre I wasn't confused. I kept reading "glad to hear that both you and your parents are unvaccinated." Which seemed odd given your OP, even if said poster were against this particular vax, which I don't think she is. 

I guess that's a sign I need some sleep. 

I hope you are able to snag a testing appt. (not an easy feat around here, unless you want to drive a not short distance) and that you and your family remain illness-free!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Can you buy yourself a test from CVS or Walmart? We have a few at home here. 

My vaccinated 16yo thought he had allergies, until his breathing felt a little different. We had him take one of the OTC tests we’d bought and he had covid. The tests are kinda like pregnancy tests where you can get false negatives, but not many false positives.

The doc said to go to the Urgent Care place for them to listen to his lungs and the UC also ran a test that showed that he was positive.

But he was vaccinated. So, it never got worse. (And his lungs were fine.) He said his toothpaste tasted funny twice. Otherwise, very, very mild allergy symptoms and breathing felt a little more difficult. 

The worst thing for him was being stuck in his room for 10 days. He kept asking if he could go out and ride his bike, but we were like, “Yo, dude, you have a respiratory illness. No riding your bike.” But he felt completely normal.

So, you and your parents will most likely be perfectly fine since you’re vaccinated IF you’re even positive in the first place.  

The worry is for the rest of your family.  Isolate yourself from your unvaccinated family until you get your test results back. Don’t panic. There’s nothing you can do now, except isolate and wait. It’s out of your hands at this point, except for containment.

In the meanwhile, if you have these things on hand, start beefing up your family’s vitamins. It’s not going to cure anything, but it’ll give their immune system a boost. We had friends with covid back in January and they said that on the days they took their vitamins, they felt better, but on the days they skipped them, they felt super bad. 

Sorry for the funky font—I copied and pasted this from elsewhere on my computer:

Vitamin C 500mg twice a day (can do 1000mg once a day)

Vitamin D3 2000 - 4000 IU/day (some information says more...up to 6,000)

B Complex vitamins

Zinc 75-100 mg/day

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Got my test this morning! Does anyone know about mucus with covid? My mucous is clear which makes me think it may be allergies. Any ideas about covid mucous?

I was wondering the same thing!

I'm feeling that "hmm.  Wonder if I'm getting a cold" feeling but given Covid I'm waayyy more concerned and also wondering about mucous!

(hugs)

1 hour ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Got my test this morning! Does anyone know about mucus with covid? My mucous is clear which makes me think it may be allergies. Any ideas about covid mucous?

The mucous thing isn't definitive. You can have colored mucous because you have a secondary infection (usually several days into an illness), but I have had plenty of viruses and infections with clear mucous.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

My son tells me that covid is weird because there is no snot.

5 hours ago, Catwoman said:

@Elizabeth86 — When will you be getting your test results? I hope you get good news soon!!!

They said 2-4 days. So I had it on Sunday, so one day this week. lol The latest on me is I’m feeling much better and no one know else is getting sick. I’m like 95% sure its allergies, BUT I had to know.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Ok. Wow. I just got up at 2 am with a crying baby (3 year old) and I saw a text on my phone that my results were in. It has been sent 4 minutes before I saw it. lol I am negative as I expected thank God!! I feel better knowing. 

YAY!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1