Menu

Car break-ins

SquirrellyMama

There have been a lot of car break-ins in my area lately. On FB, this morning someone posted a picture of his gun and said if they tried to break in to his car they'd be talking to Jesus.

My thought is that if you have something in your car that is so important you would shoot someone, you need to get it out of your car.

My dh thinks if the thieves saw our cars they would be leaving us stuff 😂

Kelly

Edited by SquirrellyMama
  • Haha 2

I'm pretty sure Jesus wouldn't be cool with murdering someone over what is usually petty crime.  

This kind of stuff is up in our neighborhood lately too.  I am very neurotic creating the illusion that there is nothing of interest in my vehicle.  I'm pretty sure someone purposefully shattered one of our windows when I was in a parking lot for a regional urban park a couple weeks ago.  Annoying but it's covered at least.  I can't imagine killing someone over it, yikes.  

ONe thing that is up in our area earlier is stealing catalytic convertors.  I think they finally broke up some rings, I haven't heard about that for a while now.  That really stinks, it totaled our neighbor's car.  😞

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I'm pretty sure Jesus wouldn't be cool with murdering someone over what is usually petty crime.  

This kind of stuff is up in our neighborhood lately too.  I am very neurotic creating the illusion that there is nothing of interest in my vehicle.  I'm pretty sure someone purposefully shattered one of our windows when I was in a parking lot for a regional urban park a couple weeks ago.  Annoying but it's covered at least.  I can't imagine killing someone over it, yikes.  

ONe thing that is up in our area earlier is stealing catalytic convertors.  I think they finally broke up some rings, I haven't heard about that for a while now.  That really stinks, it totaled our neighbor's car.  😞

Yes, catalytic converters were being stolen around here also. 

And, this guy has his own business. He's been known to threaten people who give him bad reviews. Just the guy I want with a gun!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

43 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

There have been a lot of car break-ins in my area lately. On FB, this morning someone posted a picture of his gun and said if they tried to break in to his car they'd be talking to Jesus.

My thought is that if you have something in your car that is so important you would shoot someone, you need to get it out of your car.

My dh thinks if the thrives saw our cars they would be leaving us stuff 😂

Kelly

We hear this a lot on our neighborhood groups. We sometimes have to remind people that in their concealed carry class they were told that shooting someone to defend a car is considered assault/murder as the castle doctrine in our state doesn’t extend to your driveway. *sigh* 

• Like 1

I don’t believe in shooting people who rob cars.  
I DO believe in turning dogs loose on them. However, when my cars were being robbed, my dogs chose to sleep through it. 🤪

(To be clear, my dogs were SOOOO unlikely to truly hurt anyone. They were more likely to pee on people’s shoes in excitement. Ask my UPS man. But they were scary looking as all get out.)

• Like 2

I can’t imagine killing someone over something I couldn’t be bothered to carry in from my car.

I certainly can’t imagine bragging to people on the internet that I would do something like that, either. Overreact much?!?

I went through four car stereos my first year in college.  It’s not like I haven’t BTDT.  If it happens, you file your insurance (or not), fix the damage, hopefully learn from your mistake, and move on.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I don’t believe in shooting people who rob cars.  
I DO believe in turning dogs loose on them. However, when my cars were being robbed, my dogs chose to sleep through it. 🤪

(To be clear, my dogs were SOOOO unlikely to truly hurt anyone. They were more likely to pee on people’s shoes in excitement. Ask my UPS man. But they were scary looking as all get out.)

I hear you on the dogs!  Ours have big scary barks, but would be more afraid of intruders than the intruders would be of them! Hopefully we will never need to verify that.

Though the blue tailed skink that was just chased across the deck might disagree with my assessment.

• Like 2

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

Our local police chief is begging people to take everything out of their car.  Even things that aren't valuable because if a thief peeks in and sees (for example) a tote bag, he isn't going to know that it has nothing of value in it until after he's broken the window. 

Yes, we get an email from the sheriff’s department periodically reminding us to lock vehicles and remove valuables.  

It’s common sense.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SquirrellyMama said:

Yes, catalytic converters were being stolen around here also. 

And, this guy has his own business. He's been known to threaten people who give him bad reviews. Just the guy I want with a gun!

Then there's this. . .. . and this is a multi-national business. .. . 

eta: at least the six have been fired, and charges filed against them.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

I hear you on the dogs!  Ours have big scary barks, but would be more afraid of intruders than the intruders would be of them! Hopefully we will never need to verify that.

Though the blue tailed skink that was just chased across the deck might disagree with my assessment.

I recently saw a video of a woman that was home with her disabled son when a would-be thief broke in.  He even petted her great dane.  Until she started screaming.  The dog changed his tune and wasn't welcoming anymore.  Chased the guy out of the house with his teeth in his patootie.  The cops picked him up down the street.

and this is why my dsil is so paranoid, all exterior doors are kept locked - including the door from the garage to the house.  there is an automatic lock on the front door, it will automatically relock.  and he has guns all over (all are in safes, including little ones that only hold a handgun)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I recently saw a video of a woman that was home with her disabled son when a would-be thief broke in.  He even petted her great dane.  Until she started screaming.  The dog changed his tune and wasn't welcoming anymore.  Chased the guy out of the house with his teeth in his patootie.  The cops picked him up down the street.

Good dog!

• Like 1

I had to read the title of this thread 3 times before I understood it. I kept reading it as "cat break-ins," which my brain just didn't understand, so of course I had to click on this thread so I could learn something. I learn a lot here on the Hive, after all. 

Car break-ins are...less intriguing. 

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Our local police chief is begging people to take everything out of their car.  Even things that aren't valuable because if a thief peeks in and sees (for example) a tote bag, he isn't going to know that it has nothing of value in it until after he's broken the window. 

This is why my solution to this is never, ever to lock my car door.  There have been multiple times every car in the neighborhood got hit and windows broken and all we lost were the change in the cup holders and once a bunch of Christian cds.

Also a lot faster to get in when it's raining.

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Terabith said:

This is why my solution to this is never, ever to lock my car door.  There have been multiple times every car in the neighborhood got hit and windows broken and all we lost were the change in the cup holders and once a bunch of Christian cds.

Mine too - gum and a snow scraper are all a prospective thief would find. It is a nice snow scraper though...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I misread this thread title as "Cat Break Ins," and I was wondering what direction it was going to go.  Cats breaking into people's houses?  Someone breaking into a cat?  How would that even work?

have you seen these?   "not my cat"  (especially the one seven, yes SEVEN, floors up!)

38 minutes ago, Terabith said:

dh's nephew would drive his beater to concerts, and part next to beemers. (or other expensive cars.)  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Except that here they would take the car. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, SquirrellyMama said:

My dh thinks if the thieves saw our cars they would be leaving us stuff 😂

Kelly

At least here, many more thefts are of older basic cars, as they are easier to steal and are sold for parts. I felt so bad for one of my elderly neighbors, as recently her very old Toyota was stolen from behind a locked gate while many much newer, nicer, and way more expensive cars parked on the street or in driveways in the neighborhood were untouched.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Except that here they would take the car. 

There have been so many reports of car break-ins on next door lately . . . . . I don't know if you're on it . . 

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Car break is here are pretty high.  Mostly unlocked cars…..very few smashed in windows. Dh parks in the driveway and I worry about the garage door opener.

exactly - that's one of the biggest reason they hit cars in driveways.  Easy to get in the house.

It's why dsil locks the door from the garage to the house.  It's very rare for their cars not to be in the garage.

we're on a private road (six houses) off a dead end street.  1ds parked on the "private" road.  His car was hit - they were looking for a garage door opener.  Nothing was stolen, just really messed up.  (he's extremely neat.)  2ds parks in the driveway - but he kept his car locked and the thieves didn't break windows.  I guess they were afraid of setting off car alarms.   They were going house to house - so we weren't the only ones 'hit'.

29 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

There have been so many reports of car break-ins on next door lately . . . . . I don't know if you're on it . . 

exactly - that's one of the biggest reason they hit cars in driveways.  Easy to get in the house.

It's why dsil locks the door from the garage to the house.  It's very rare for their cars not to be in the garage.

we're on a private road (six houses) off a dead end street.  1ds parked on the "private" road.  His car was hit - they were looking for a garage door opener.  Nothing was stolen, just really messed up.  (he's extremely neat.)  2ds parks in the driveway - but he kept his car locked and the thieves didn't break windows.  I guess they were afraid of setting off car alarms.   They were going house to house - so we weren't the only ones 'hit'.

Yes, I am on Nextdoor.  Lots of break-ins for stuff left in cars.  (Our police list some of the items stolen - including things like guns).  But also catalytic converter thefts.  And car thefts themselves.  Occasionally we get a "report of an abandoned vehicle" notice on Nextdoor that turns out to be someone's stolen car that was just left. 

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Yes, I am on Nextdoor.  Lots of break-ins for stuff left in cars.  (Our police list some of the items stolen - including things like guns).  But also catalytic converter thefts.  And car thefts themselves.  Occasionally we get a "report of an abandoned vehicle" notice on Nextdoor that turns out to be someone's stolen car that was just left. 

a lot of those.

It happens frequently here. We live in a neighborhood where there are many cars parked outside. Most houses have 2-3 parked outside and some have more. We also live really close to the interstate so thieves can be out of the area really quickly. 

The police have said it is usually a group from nearby city doing gang initiations. The group goes through cars looking for guns and then usually one or two cars get stolen. Usually they are recovered abandoned nearby. Everytime this happens they find lots of guns in unlocked cars. It is shocking to me it keeps happening and the owners don’t secure their vehicles. We always lock up. So far it has always seemed to be unlocked vehicles that get hit. We don’t keep anything of value in them but it still feels really icky to think of someone in your car rifling around so we lock up. I’d rather they realize our cars are locked and keep moving.