Menu

Jokes & memes

Katy

1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

I thought that hippos were dangerous but herbivorous.

I *had* to look this story up. Apparently he was “bitten to death” (mauled), so not actually eaten. It’s sad though!

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Hippos are herbivores but also the animal most dangerous to humans, I think?  

Yes, I think you’re right. Also despite being primarily herbivorous, I’m pretty sure we’ve discussed before that they do occasionally act as omnivores. 

On 5/18/2024 at 4:33 PM, Katy said:

IMG_3227.jpeg

Humans can't seem to read either.
such as the signs saying:
Do not stop in the road

or

Do not approach the wildlife

. . . .

On 5/18/2024 at 6:47 PM, Terabith said:

IMG_5410.jpeg

The Seattle Aquarium had an otter find a rock . . and keep it . . . until it closed.
Then he broke the glass on his tank so he could escape and went around the building.  (they followed his tracks) Surprising he didn't eat more of the other denizens . . .

5 hours ago, Terabith said:

Hippos are herbivores but also the animal most dangerous to humans, I think?  

The most dangerous to crocodiles too.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Humans can't seem to read either.
such as the signs saying:
Do not stop in the road

or

Do not approach the wildlife

I have this uncanny ability to find myself in positions in which I must choose between getting too close to wildlife and dying from hypothermia.  THREE times over my lifetime, I have been hiking/backpacking during cold/wet weather and come across something(s) that could kill me if I get too close.  FTR, that would be a moose mother with calves, an uncharacteristically aggressive-seeming black bear that we suspected had a cub or two nearby, and a herd of buffalo.  In all three cases, the wildlife was blocking our path and we could only wait it out so long before being non-mobile and wet in low temps would become more dangerous than the wildlife.  The latest was the herd of buffalo, two weeks ago.  We waited for a while and watched until we had the best opening to slip through, but it was still pretty scary.  The closest ones were side-eyeing us and lifting their tails, which we know are warning signs.  We did have bear spray on us and had we not, I don't know what we would have done this time.  We could see the herd after we had passed them and continued to descend.  An entire hour later when we got to the end of the trail, we could still see them in the same location on the hill.  They were not going to move any time soon.  We could have broken out our emergency blankets and huddled down, but there was no telling how long we would have been there.  It seemed less dangerous to take our chances with passing.

Meanwhile, we did see dumb tourists stopped on the side of the road (against the rules) trying to get selfies with the "fluffy cows."

• Sad 4

1 minute ago, skimomma said:

I have this uncanny ability to find myself in positions in which I must choose between getting too close to wildlife and dying from hypothermia.  THREE times over my lifetime, I have been hiking/backpacking during cold/wet weather and come across something(s) that could kill me if I get too close.  FTR, that would be a moose mother with calves, an uncharacteristically aggressive-seeming black bear that we suspected had a cub or two nearby, and a herd of buffalo.  In all three cases, the wildlife was blocking our path and we could only wait it out so long before being non-mobile and wet in low temps would become more dangerous than the wildlife.  The latest was the herd of buffalo, two weeks ago.  We waited for a while and watched until we had the best opening to slip through, but it was still pretty scary.  The closest ones were side-eyeing us and lifting their tails, which we know are warning signs.  We did have bear spray on us and had we not, I don't know what we would have done this time.  We could see the herd after we had passed them and continued to descend.  An entire hour later when we got to the end of the trail, we could still see them in the same location on the hill.  They were not going to move any time soon.  We could have broken out our emergency blankets and huddled down, but there was no telling how long we would have been there.  It seemed less dangerous to take our chances with passing.

Meanwhile, we did see dumb tourists stopped on the side of the road (against the rules) trying to get selfies with the "fluffy cows."

people at yellowstone . . . They stop to look at the pretty 'cows' on the side of the road - then walk towards them.   These are rarely chance encounters on a back country trail . . .People film themselves . . then there is video of them being tossed . . . 

when we were at yellowstone- there was a huge miles long back-up.  I assumed it was road work - no, people started stopping *in the middle of the road*.  They weren't pulled over, and it just snowballs.  The bison weren't in the road.
  We were up in the NE corner (early morning) - don't remember the name of the area - and a bunch of bison decided to stop and block the road.  I assume a rancher, got out, yelled at them/whacked one?  I don't remember exactly - but in a manner consistent with driving cattle (My mother's cousin had a dairy farm) - to get them moving again and out of the road.

I am surprised they haven't moved to bus systems in more National Parks. Cars are so hard on the enviroment and annoying to other park users including other car drivers 😂.  With the number of people going into these parks in the lower 48, especially the more popular ones, it would seem to make sense. I think it definitly makes a difference visiting Denali.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, frogger said:

I am surprised they haven't moved to bus systems in more National Parks. Cars are so hard on the enviroment and annoying to other park users including other car drivers 😂.  With the number of people going into these parks in the lower 48, especially the more popular ones, it would seem to make sense. I think it definitly makes a difference visiting Denali.

there are tour buses in Yellowstone, but they are limited on where they go.    honestly - it's a massive park with a lot of road to get around.   Yellowstone is the size of Rhode Island and Delaware put together.  It can take seven hours to drive the grand loop road.  We were staying in West Yellowstone (basically at the park entrance) - we left at 6am to get to the Lamar valley and it was a solid two hours.

It's not anything like Glacier - where they *should* have a bus on the "going to the sun" road.  (be like a game of pong - back and forth and back and forth. and massive crowds even with permits required. . . I liked Waterton better. fascinating geology.)  Which is basically the only road in the park, and bisects it. (there are some along the periphery/outside - that don't access that road.) and would be easy to do.

• Like 1

I remember going to Yellowstone as a kid and I wish my kids could have seen the geysers.

I am just spoiled. I know I am spoiled. In about 6 weeks I am biking the Denali Park Road. It is only 92 miles long and there are few roads outside of the main one so it is probably easier to only allow busses but man, I am glad they don't allow cars in. Right now they are fixing a landslide that completely took out the road but are allowing hikers and bikers around on a detour following a riverbed. Once past the landslide we will be almost entirely alone except very very few other bikers and backpackers. I am so excited!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

But having to walk around furniture because you have a 20' cord so you can pace, takes something out of it. . . . 

That's very high tech. Our house phone was bolted to the wall in the hallway. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

That's very high tech. Our house phone was bolted to the wall in the hallway. 

The phone was on the wall - the handset wasn't.

this is what it looked like.  They were readily available.
Phone Handset Cords - Walmart.com

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lilaclady said:

FCB66BC0-57C4-4484-BFA1-87EEF7CAC762.jpeg

My elderly aunt with dementia hung up on me last week and I laughed with my dh that she was probably disappointed she didn't get to do that old-fashioned but satisfying slam 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Burned indelibly into our psyches.

1dd was the only one who would watch SS.  2dd was absolutely not interested, and it went from there.

7 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

The phone was on the wall - the handset wasn't.

this is what it looked like.  They were readily available.
Phone Handset Cords - Walmart.com

I think the cord on my childhood phone was an integral part of the unit  - you couldn't swap it out. But I could be wrong. I remember seeing a US comedy where they had a long cord and being amazed.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I think the cord on my childhood phone was an integral part of the unit  - you couldn't swap it out. But I could be wrong. I remember seeing a US comedy where they had a long cord and being amazed.

That changed here around the 80s.   The phones I grew up with everything was integral. (we had a desk phone. .  )  I have very fond memories of my great-aunt's phone - which I couldn't dial unless I used two fingers.  it was heavy.  I can still hear the sound of its rotary dial.   Lots of nostalgia, but can't imagine what I'd do with one.   

They broke up ma bell (1984), and things went wild.   That's probably when they started using the plugs so the cord or the handset could be easily replaced if needed.  Then they really started coming out with different types of cords, including retractable.   

I remember wanting one of these for the family room where the kids played. but it wasn't in my budget, and then it became superfluous - and now we don't even have a landline.
Tyco-Lego-Telephone-Novelty.jpg

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

That changed here around the 80s.   The phones I grew up with everything was integral. (we had a desk phone. .  )  I have very fond memories of my great-aunt's phone - which I couldn't dial unless I used two fingers.  it was heavy.  I can still hear the sound of its rotary dial.   Lots of nostalgia, but can't imagine what I'd do with one.   

They broke up ma bell (1984), and things went wild.   That's probably when they started using the plugs so the cord or the handset could be easily replaced if needed.  Then they really started coming out with different types of cords, including retractable.   

I remember wanting one of these for the family room where the kids played. but it wasn't in my budget, and then it became superfluous - and now we don't even have a landline.
Tyco-Lego-Telephone-Novelty.jpg

My mother never changed her phone. We moved into her final house in 1980 and the same phone was there when she moved out in 2017.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

My mother never changed her phone. We moved into her final house in 1980 and the same phone was there when she moved out in 2017.

we built this in 82, moved away for a year, then were back in 1987 - with a new wall phone that had the plugs.   It was a different world when you had to get your phone from the phone company- the ma bell break-up changed a lot of things.  
we did a base station phone with multiple handsets that could be used as an intercom for a long time.  Now, everyone has a cell phone so we just call their phone if we need them.  And wireless speakers for music.

• Like 1