Jokes & memes

Katy

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Sigh... and then dudeling wouldn't take anything because they didn't have anything he liked.

I think most people don't know. 

I finally just didn't take him.

We ended up telling my son to just take something and say thank you, and we'd eat the things he didn't like and buy him whatever he wanted from the store.  He only eats plain Hershey Bars, Hershey Kisses, and plain mini M&M's so except for the Hershey bars it was very unusual for them to have something he'd eat.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wheres Toto said:

We ended up telling my son to just take something and say thank you, and we'd eat the things he didn't like and buy him whatever he wanted from the store.  He only eats plain Hershey Bars, Hershey Kisses, and plain mini M&M's so except for the Hershey bars it was very unusual for them to have something he'd eat.  

oh I did . . . over and over . . .
just take something, and say thank you - and use it to bribe 2ds!  (who was much too old for trick or treating, had no interest in taking him around, but would be happy to be bribed.)
I said it before every single house . . . at least once. . . 

I think we never got to more than a dozen houses, at the most . . . there was one year, (his first year. when 1dd wanted them to all have matching costumes so they could take him around. . . . ) . . . they went to one, or maybe TWO houses!
 there was the year the three miniature poodles? Bichon Frise? who were ill-mannered (yappy) and not put somewhere to keep them from running outside and chasing after an autistic kid that was petrified of dogs. . . . (My mom had the calmest papillion that really helped him, but still . . . )
Finally, he just did the trunk or treats, and we called it good.  Of course, he still wanted the candy and would eye the bags I bought for the trunk or treats.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, purpleowl said:

Or just be kind to all the kids and don't expect them to announce their neurodivergence via pumpkin color.

I agree with you heartily.

The trouble is this: a great many people still seem either ignorant of or unsympathetic to neurodiversity differences. I like messages that *remind* people to be sensitive and to THINK before, for example, scolding a child for not saying trick or treat. I wish people didn't have to be reminded, but that's the current state of things, at least where I live.

Let's have the messaging for adults without directing attention to individual children. I appreciated those who made this point to me in the teal pumpkin thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Amethyst said:

I changed my Siri’s voice to male years ago for this very reason! Why should this thing that is basically a servant be female?!

Right?  I changed mine to a male with a British accent. If he's going to be the virtual equivalent of a Butler, he should sound like one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Katy said:

Right?  I changed mine to a male with a British accent. If he's going to be the virtual equivalent of a Butler, he should sound like one.

Mine is male with an Australian accent.  I changed it the first day I got the phone because it bugged me that the default for the “assistant “ voice was female. 

• Like 1