Menu

Jokes & memes

Katy

6 hours ago, Katy said:

None of mine are bullies, but I haven’t yet found a gentle way to separate kids who are physically fighting.

If it's just two kids: Figure out who is less motivated and stop that one. (Teacher colleagues used to say, "Get the little one," but I found that sometimes the little one was much more into it and may have started it.)

Usually the other one stops when an adult steps in bodily because there is Absolute Hell to Pay if you hit an adult.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 73349 said:

If it's just two kids: Figure out who is less motivated and stop that one. (Teacher colleagues used to say, "Get the little one," but I found that sometimes the little one was much more into it and may have started it.)

Usually the other one stops when an adult steps in bodily because there is Absolute Hell to Pay if you hit an adult.

What kind of hell to pay is there in gentle parenting? Some of the gentle parenting people barely believe in natural consequences, and definitely not punishment. 

12 hours ago, Katy said:

What kind of hell to pay is there in gentle parenting? Some of the gentle parenting people barely believe in natural consequences, and definitely not punishment. 

I taught in a rough middle school... assaulting a teacher means parent conference, suspension, possibly a criminal charge, and delay in getting your driver's license (state law).

At home, presumably with younger ages... I mean, however gentle the parenting is, at that point things have gone off the rails, and whatever led to the conflict has to be addressed. The kids are not necessarily going to love the level of solution I would implement if conflict has repeatedly become violent. (E.g., None of our solutions to the [video game or whatever] conflicts have prevented you from hitting each other and even me! We're going to take 60 days off from using them while we remember how to treat one another, and I hope we will be ready to try again then.) That's a reset rather than a punishment, but for kids who are attached to the item, they might find it intense.

Now back to our regularly scheduled memes....

1 minute ago, TechWife said:

I still don’t get it.

The song says "my milkshake brings all the boys to my yard" and the picture is of a bunch of buoys in the yard.  It's just a pun. Huge hit song a few years back.

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2023 at 5:17 PM, Miss Tick said:

Will you crop it down to just the image and then wait on tiptoes with clutched hands for someone to enquire about your peaceful screen saver? 😂 (Just wondering how far over the edge I am. I was thinking if I set up at the edge of a table in the library near the main thoroughfare...)

Yes. Yes I do!  It’s the lock screen on my laptop and iPhone. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, wintermom said:

We're bilingual with our measurements in Canada!! 😉 

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Janel Comeau @VeryBadLlama Americans: use miles and pounds Europeans: use kilometres and kilograms Canadians: [snorting a line of assorted measuring systems] I'm 5'3, weigh 150lbs, horses weigh 1000kgs my house is an hour away and I drive 80 km/ to get there, need a cup of flour and 1L of milk'

The UK is crazy mixed up too. A lot of people weigh themselves in pounds and stones but cook in grams and litres. We talk about driving in miles and that's what the road signs say, but petrol is priced in litres.

Some of this is generational - schools only teach metric and conversion factors are rarely mentioned - so apart from the street signs, we'll be largely metric in a few decades.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2