Menu

Partial hospitalization program

Terabith

I am pondering doing this.  Not sure, because a) I want to recover from bug I currently have, b) it’s possible once I am no longer sick I won’t be struggling as much with depression and anxiety, and c) they might not admit me.  Sleep has been a huge issue, and I feel like I have tried everything.  I have done it before, and it was slightly helpful but not amazing.  They’ve changed it around, apparently, though.  I really, really don’t want to go inpatient again; I have had some terrible experiences doing that.  (And some okay ones.)  I just don’t know if it’s a good idea or a waste of time and money and energy. It’s just so hard to decide what the right thing to do is.  

• Sad 17

34 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Is it possible to decide once you've recovered from the bug you're dealing with? 

I agree.  I never have clear thinking when I am sick or really tired.  I think the fact you are exhausted and sick is likely playing a huge part in how you are feeling.  However, you need to keep yourself safe.  If you are not safe out of the hospital, it is probably the best place.  Do you have a therapist who can help you decide? or a doctor?

(((hugs)))

• Like 4

A million hugs. 

Partial hospitalization was a lifesaver for one of my children last year. The hospital part first was awful (we should have trusted our own instincts and only agreed to partial from the get-go, but all of the experts kept saying do inpatient first, do inpatient first, so we did) -- so, I don't blame you not wanting to do inpatient. 

If you are feeling that you need help, then I'd think it's not a waste of time or money to get that help. 

(((((hugs))))) and prayers, well wishes, etc., as you seek a route to healing/recovery from this.  It's so encouraging that you are able to see and recognize that you may need help -- that's really really really huge, and is even more reason to think that seeking help won't be a waste of time. And speaking only as a parent of a child who went through similar.....the longer you wait, the worse it gets, the harder to come back from and more likely they may push for inpatient. 

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, Terabith. (((((hugs again)))))

• Like 8

To be clear, I'm not suicidal at all.  I have had some bad thoughts, but no intent to act on them.  I don't need to be inpatient.  I sorta see this as more of a "I notice that things aren't as good as I would like them to be, and maybe this could prevent things from getting bad."  

My psychiatrist thinks it is a good idea and could be helpful.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Terabith said:

To be clear, I'm not suicidal at all.  I have had some bad thoughts, but no intent to act on them.  I don't need to be inpatient.  I sorta see this as more of a "I notice that things aren't as good as I would like them to be, and maybe this could prevent things from getting bad."  

My psychiatrist thinks it is a good idea and could be helpful.

I admire your strength and your insight.

Always, not just today.

• Like 4

Do you know how long the wait list is? I’m guessing it’s likely you would need to wait for a spot, so you could always get on the waitlist so that you could make the decision once you are feeling better and a spot opens up. What about intensive outpatient rather than partial hospitalization? And do you have any intensive outpatient or partial hospitalization program available to you that uses DBT? I know you’ve had various treatment, but if you haven’t done DBT yet, that could be an effective step to take. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KSera said:

Do you know how long the wait list is? I’m guessing it’s likely you would need to wait for a spot, so you could always get on the waitlist so that you could make the decision once you are feeling better and a spot opens up. What about intensive outpatient rather than partial hospitalization? And do you have any intensive outpatient or partial hospitalization program available to you that uses DBT? I know you’ve had various treatment, but if you haven’t done DBT yet, that could be an effective step to take. 

DBT would be awesome, but I do not know of any around here that offer it (hospitals, partial hospitals, intensive outpatients, therapists...).  My psychiatrist called them, and I talked to the intake person, and they want me to start Wednesday, so no long wait list.  There is also an intensive outpatient, which is usually used as a step down program.  That part is all new.  We'll see how this goes.  

To be honest, this program is pretty much the only one in town for mental health.  There are a few that deal with substance abuse, but not a lot for depression and anxiety.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Terabith said:

To be honest, this program is pretty much the only one in town for mental health.  There are a few that deal with substance abuse, but not a lot for depression and anxiety.

Well, that’s good at least that they have plenty of availability and not a long wait list. We have quite a few options here, but wait lists are long. I hope it turns out to be just what you need right now.

• Like 1